Live TV in Media Center 7 looks washed out, but HDHomerun's Quick TV looks perfect. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For some reason, whenever I watch or record TV through Media Center, it looks washed out. Everything seems a little grayer. But when I watch TV through my HDHomerun's Quick TV, the picture looks much better. Colors looks right; not washed out. The HDHomerun's Quick TV much closer resembles what it looks like if I watch TV directly through my TV, without using my computer. I should also point out that I watch MKV's through MPC-HC, and they always look fantastic; no complaints about color there.

Here's my setup: I am using GreenEyez' HTPC Software GUIDE for Windows 7 Media Center. I used the "MKV Playback using MPC-HC as an external player" part of the guide. As per his guide, I'm using FFdshow as my preferred audio decoder in mpc-hc.

I have 2 dual tuner HDHomeruns attached to my PC. I have an antenna attached to a splitter, feeding my TV, and my 2 HDHomeruns. The HDHomeruns are connected to my Gibabit switch, which is connected to my computer.

My pc has a i7 930 cpu, an ATI 5870 graphics card, 6 GB of DDR3 memory, and an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard. I have an hdmi cable running from my graphics card to my receiver, a Denon AVR 3808ci. From the receiver, I have an hdmi cable running to my TV, a Samsung LN-T4071 LCD.

If anyone knows how I can improve the image quality of Live TV in Media Center, so that the colors aren't washed out, I would greatly appreciate it. If this is a problem that can't be fixed, then what are the alternatives to Windows Media Center 7? I would need a program that will let me record High Def TV and record a TV series with a season pass. It will need to work on Windows 7 64bit. I don't want to use Linux.

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Try this in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Debug\\ehPresenter.dll]
"NominalRange"=dword:00000001

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoon! View Post

Try this in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Debug\\ehPresenter.dll]
"NominalRange"=dword:00000001

Thanks for the quick reply swoon! I went into my registry and then went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE. But I don't have a folder for Debug. I wonder why I'm missing this folder?

If I did have a Debug folder and could then access ehPresnter.dll to change NominalRange=dword:00000001, what would this really do? Would this effect anything else besides my TV viewing in Media Center 7?

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
It will make it so your black level isn't expanded. The desktop and MCE can have different video levels.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

Thanks for the quick reply swoon! I went into my registry and then went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE. But I don't have a folder for Debug. I wonder why I'm missing this folder?

If I did have a Debug folder and could then access ehPresnter.dll to change NominalRange=dword:00000001, what would this really do? Would this effect anything else besides my TV viewing in Media Center 7?

It is an unsupported registry entry that the ehPresenter.dll in WMC uses for outputting black levels. A value of 1 indicates expanded levels (0-255). A value of 2 indicates video levels (16-235). The default is 2.

You will need to add the entry by hand as it is not present in the registry by default. It will only affect WMC.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoon! View Post

It is an unsupported registry entry that the ehPresenter.dll in WMC uses for outputting black levels. A value of 1 indicates expanded levels (0-255). A value of 2 indicates video levels (16-235). The default is 2.

You will need to add the entry by hand as it is not present in the registry by default. It will only affect WMC.

I apologize for my ignorance on this, but how do I add the entry by hand?

post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

In the left pane, right-click and select New-> Key. Change the value to Debug. Select Debug and then do the same under Debug, but name it ehPresenter.dll; in the right-pane right-click and then new->dword. Name it NominalRange and set the value to 1.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you swoon!!! Now the colors are looking right. But it's kind of ridiculous that Microsoft doesn't provide an easier way to change this setting. I mean, I never would have been able to fix this without your help.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

Thank you swoon!!! Now the colors are looking right. But it's kind of ridiculous that Microsoft doesn't provide an easier way to change this setting. I mean, I never would have been able to fix this without your help.

I agree with you. I'm not sure why they don't have this as an option in the TV display setup within WMC.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page