Minimum Broadband Speed for HD Streaming - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking at the new AppleTV and think it could serve a useful purpose in my Theater setup. However, I can't find a minimum broadband speed needed for this device. I thought folks with experience with HTPCs might have a good idea just what a reasonable minimum speed for reliable HD Video might be.

The AppleTV streams 720p video and does not have a hard drive or other large memory for buffering. I know it could handle video within my own local network, and their specs describe speeds needed for that. What I want to know is what speed would I need to rent movies. I can't imagine why they skip over this important detail.

FYI - my cable connection runs about 5 MBps and DSL in this area is limited to about 1.8 MBps. I'm guessing cable would work ok, but DSL would not be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Netflix runs at 500, 1000 and 1500 Kbps for SD, 2600 and 3800 for HD and it wi jump up and down as your broadband speed fluxuates.

Don't know what apple rented video runs at.

Also, just fyi, roku has a player that will give you similar streaming capabilities (Netflix plus Amazon VOD for a la cart) for similar or less money depending on your needs. Plus the Amazon DRM scheme will likely be more favorable than the apple scheme.

-Suntan
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Amazon let`s you buy TV Shows for 0.99$ , not rent. And the Roku is cheaper, 60$. So as Suntan said, the Roku is a better alternative.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Edit : lols too many webpages open and I thought i was on a australian website not avs lols - what i wrote applies only to australia so i deleted it (sorry, might finish my cuppa before posting lols)
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Netflix runs at 500, 1000 and 1500 Kbps for SD, 2600 and 3800 for HD and it wi jump up and down as your broadband speed fluxuates.

Don't know what apple rented video runs at.

Also, just fyi, roku has a player that will give you similar streaming capabilities (Netflix plus Amazon VOD for a la cart) for similar or less money depending on your needs. Plus the Amazon DRM scheme will likely be more favorable than the apple scheme.

-Suntan

Thanks for the numbers. As I guessed, it appears my cable connection would work for HD, but my friend's DSL won't.

I like the Apple solution for my application because it does a lot more then let me rent videos. I can play the music stored on my computer as well as view my photos and videos on the big screen. I buy Blu-Ray if I want to keep a movie. For one time views I have Dish Network and several premiums so this is for stuff that I can't get elsewhere. The AppleTV also does Netflix making it quite flexible. DRM isn't an issue if you don't save the movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page