gigabit over cat 5 cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I moved into a new house and need to wire some more network drops. I have a box of old cat 5 cable. Not cat5e. Cat5 doesn't support gigabit does it? Is there any way I can use this cable to get reliable gigabit networking or should I just suck it up and buy a new box of cat 6 cable. I do a lot of bluray movies over the network and file transfers and use all gigabit switches and everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post

I moved into a new house and need to wire some more network drops. I have a box of old cat 5 cable. Not cat5e. Cat5 doesn't support gigabit does it? Is there any way I can use this cable to get reliable gigabit networking or should I just suck it up and buy a new box of cat 6 cable. I do a lot of bluray movies over the network and file transfers and use all gigabit switches and everything.

I use CAT 5 for some patch cables on occasion with gigabit, but if you are doing a run, I would advise just getting a spool of CAT6. It's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, especially if you went through the trouble of laying a run of CAT5 cable and then you find out it doesn't work and you have to do it all over again.

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thats what I'm planning but I don't know what to do with the cat5 cable. I was hoping i could just double run the cat5 to get it more bandwidth and be able to run decent gigabit.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Since the cable isn't run yet, I would definitely buy a new spool of Cat 6, before you start. Even if Cat5 cuts it, it's no good for the future.

As for whether it can connect 1Gbps, I've had mixed success. I have one 6ft cable labelled as "Cat5", no e. House is wired with Cat5e. Some computers/NICs I have used that cable from the wall to the computer, somehow connect at only 100Mbit--somehow it "knows" it's Cat5? Some other NICs have connected at 1Gbps successfully with the same cable but I think to be on the safe side go with at least Cat5e. I've sinced moved that cable for use at work where the router here in my office is only 100Mbit and it doesn't matter. So it's hit or miss whether you'll get a 1Gbps connection. The longer the cable gets it's probably going to be less likely to connect at 1Gbps as well. It's not worth the waste of time installing it all only to find out it doesn't work well (or at all) at 1Gbps.

Again, since you're buying/installing new stuff I would go with Cat6 for sure.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post

Thats what I'm planning but I don't know what to do with the cat5 cable.

I'd just donate it to a school or something...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page