MCE Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Wireless-PC-R...item4152d8d215

Apparently, the model name is actually VRC-1100 by Ortek - http://www.ortek.com/prod_detail.asp...%3E%3EVRC-1100

I know that this is going to work with MS Media Center, but does it work with XMBC and Total Media Theater 3 as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It should work with TMT in Media center, but not if launched by itself. Not sure about XBMC.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

It should work with TMT in Media center, but not if launched by itself. Not sure about XBMC.

So the TMT only works inside the MCE ?
post #4 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have no problems with my MCE remote navigating through XBMC, it gives me the basic functionality. There are a few writeups on the XBMC forum about setting up a WMC remote for XBMC:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=78179

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #5 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

Apparently, the model name is actually VRC-1100 by Ortek - http://www.ortek.com/prod_detail.asp...%3E%3EVRC-1100

This remote is rebadged under different names. I owned the Adesso branded version of it and hated it. The reason? It was not a true MCE remote in that it was able to to put the computer to sleep but could not wake it up reliably. By unreliable operation I mean I could wake up the system only by randomly pressing some buttons, but at times I had to do this for up to a minute. Very frustrating. I threw it out after two days of use and purchased a real MCE remote. I don't recommend this remote if you intend to wake up the system with it.

Here are some other brands of this device:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...pr_product_top
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823166095

There's a reason why it's so cheap compared to other true MCE remotes despite the fact it has a built-in mouse pad.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This remote not waking the PC reliably is frustrating, but IMO it's otherwise a good remote and worth getting if you can get around that issue. I use a second actual MCE receiver with the wake command assigned to my universal remote.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

When you say the 'real' MCE remote, you mean the original Microsoft MCE remote? With so many pirated ones these days I guess it's very hard to differentiate a real and a fake one...
post #8 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:

When you say the 'real' MCE remote, you mean the original Microsoft MCE remote? With so many pirated ones these days I guess it's very hard to differentiate a real and a fake one...

You can tell by the price. The "knockoffs" tend to be inexpensive and jammed with all kinds of "features." like mouse pad and extra buttons. But one thing that's notably missing is the ability to wake the system from S3 state. If you search "wake" in reviews you'd inevitably find references to this issue. I have absolutely no idea how they managed to get the Vista/Windows7 MCE Certified logo because wake from sleep is an essential operation.

I ended up getting this simple MCE remote and it worked well for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880121001

When I got it a few years ago it was under the brand "Anyware." Now you can find the HA-IR01SV under different brands.

I'm no expert by any means in the MCE remote subject matter but from my research the "fake" MCE remotes are actually not remotes but a HIDs (human interface devices) that emulate key strokes and mouse movements. They are remotes that would also work in Windows XP; a true Vista/Windows 7 MCE remote should not work in XP because it does not have the required driver (I have not tested this theory). If I'm wrong about this would someone be kind enough to correct me.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, what is RC6 stands for??
post #10 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

I'm no expert by any means in the MCE remote subject matter but from my research the "fake" MCE remotes are actually not remotes but a HIDs (human interface devices) that emulate key strokes and mouse movements. They are remotes that would also work in Windows XP; a true Vista/Windows 7 MCE remote should not work in XP because it does not have the required driver (I have not tested this theory). If I'm wrong about this would someone be kind enough to correct me.

Is there such as thing as a MCE remote that does not do keystroke emulation for at least some of the commands?

Mine seems to work like a keyboard more or less with some buttons producing keystrokes and the play/pause/etc tied directly to those functions like on the top of a keyboard. A friend at work bought a different one and he says it's the same way. I'm talking knock off MCE remotes here that have the same functionality as the original with no extra additions.

Peter
post #11 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

They are remotes that would also work in Windows XP; a true Vista/Windows 7 MCE remote should not work in XP because it does not have the required driver (I have not tested this theory). If I'm wrong about this would someone be kind enough to correct me.

That's not necessarily true as you can extract and install the driver (ehome) from an MS update. I forgot the exact update and directions, but I've done this on two of my older machines. So it's doable, just not plug and play.

Quote:

Yes, one of the originals, even got the old MCE keyboard to go with it.

I *think* all the AVS gear remotes on newegg are actual MCE devices and don't use keyboard emulation.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

So the TMT only works inside the MCE ?

The remote only works with TMT through VMC or 7MC. Or are you running XP?
TMT installs itself as a plug-in for Vista and W7 media center, so you can launch it from media center. Not sure about XP, AFAIK TMT is dodgy in XP, period.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using XMBC
post #14 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Are any of these remotes backlit? I am using an MCE remote from Newegg right now, and it works fine, but my theater is very very dark, so I really need a backlit one. Any recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 AM

One more note on what I learned when I had both a true MCE remote and a knockoff one:

The true MCE remote (Anyware HA-IR01SV) only got activated when Windows was up and running or in S3 state. The knockoff did not need Windows at all. For instance, I was able to use the knockoff remote to select the Windows boot menu (I had a multboot setup) whereas the true MCE remote wasn't even powered on at the boot menu. I vaguely remember I was also able to use the knockoff remote in the BIOS.

I think these knockoff remotes are more versatile than a true MCE remote provided that you don't need to wake from S3 functionality.

Come to think of it, maybe the wake from S3 functionality was disabled deliberately on these knockoff remotes because if it wasn't, pressing any button would generate a USB event that would wake up the PC, a behavior that we may find desirable but may not be MCE remote compliant.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Are any of these remotes backlit? I am using an MCE remote from Newegg right now, and it works fine, but my theater is very very dark, so I really need a backlit one. Any recommendations?

You can always use a Harmony remote (I think all of them are backlit) to control the IR receiver.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 AM

I'm using the same remote as in the OP.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...views#VRC-1100

I only tried it for a few minutes in XBMC and it worked ok.

I can't make it work in EventGhost, tho, but maybe/probably you don't need this at all.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page