Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My system:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Media PC with an ATI 4670 video card running Win7 x64
Realtek ATI HDMI audio driver

HDMI cable goes to a Yamaha RX-v3900 receiver

Pioneer KRP-600M plasma display connected to the Yamaha.

If the Pioneer is fully powered down and a boot the computer, it sees the Yamaha and the HDMI driver displays a "5.1" option in its speaker config, and everything works great. If the Pioneer is powered up however, the HDMI driver only shows the stereo option in the speaker config and I don't get any 5.1 sound to the Yamaha.

I am guessing the Realtek driver is trying to automatically configure for the capabilities of the device at the other end of the HDMI cable, and the Yamaha is passing through the Pioneer audio config instead of it's own.

Is there any solution to this? I would really like to just hardwire the audio driver to always put out 5.1 no matter what.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Well every HDMI receiver should have an option for HDMI audio that can be set to either one of (something along the lines of):

-AMP
-AMP + TV

If it's set to "AMP + TV" then the audio properties of the television (i.e. usually 2ch stereo and sometimes DD as well) will be relayed to the output device. (Note that as a result of this setting both your TV and the receiver will get audio.) If it's set to AMP, the audio properties of the TV should be ignored and it should reflect the capabilities of the receiever.

Have you checked that setting on your receiver?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Ok, here's an idea in case you cannot find a any other way to get it to work. The Geffen HDMI Detective. It sits between the sound card and the AVR, and remembers the EDID of your AVR, feeding it back into the soundcard even if you turn off the AVR. The soundcard thinks it's still there and stays in 5.1 mode.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
DQL,
I think I was having the same problem, but I was using the ATI HDMI driver. Everytime I changed the channel on my TV, the soundcard (5450) and AVR (onkyo 807) would lose the TV "handshake"; therefore, when I turned the TV's input back to the AVR/HTPC it would change the output from ATI HDMI to "speakers." In my "playback devices," I just "disabled" the options other than HDMI (they can always be re-enabled later). Now I can turn the AVR on/off, change channels on TV, and whatever without ever having the HTPC change to speakers...hope it helps.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Set your Yamaha amp to strip the audio from the HDMI and not pass it to the downstream device. In my case it makes sense as I have a speraker-less projector as my display. In your case it would eliminate the PC from seeing anything further than the A/V receiver.

Also, set your control panel to NOT refresh the EDID info unless you force it. This will cut back on this issue as well.

Another thing is to set the audio in your PC to NOT generate 5.1 from stereo audio. This has caused my Onkyo to be switching modes every time a commercial comes on, or I switch between sources. The receiver sees DD 5.1 during DVDs and TV and then 'simulated' 5.1 PCM during stereo upconversion... of course, not all mobos have this capability.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
DQL

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Well every HDMI receiver should have an option for HDMI audio that can be set to either one of (something along the lines of):

-AMP
-AMP + TV

If it's set to "AMP + TV" then the audio properties of the television (i.e. usually 2ch stereo and sometimes DD as well) will be relayed to the output device. (Note that as a result of this setting both your TV and the receiver will get audio.) If it's set to AMP, the audio properties of the TV should be ignored and it should reflect the capabilities of the receiever.

Have you checked that setting on your receiver?

ES_Revenge, that was it, thanks for the help! I had it set that way because for a while I was trying to have the Yamaha feed two TVs (one of which has speakers) but that didn't work for other reasons.