Amazon VOD on Windows Media Center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any type of integration of amazon VOD service into windows media center so that you can buy/rent & them stream all directly from media center's interface? If not then is there any type of work around?

thanks,
Ncage

Edit: on top of that how about pandora & hulu +?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you can integrate Hulu desktop with Media Center and I think you can integrate Pandora. I'm not sure about Amazon VOD you may want to try http://www.thegreenbutton.com
post #3 of 11 Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would say yes, sort of. The standard Amazon Unbox client downloads all it's stuff in a DRM wrapped WMV file and puts it in a folder on your computer organized by show. So you can add a new video location to WMC and watch the videos that way. If you setup a season pass for a show and set it to automatically download to your computer, then you get the new episode automagically.

I say sort of because you don't get any information about the movie or show except it's title (which is really just the name of the file). In addition, you still have to manually delete show folders when they are empty. And to check a video back in, you have to use the Unbox client. So it's a bit kludgy at best, but it does work. I don't have anything but OTA channels, so I use it to watch a fair number of cable shows I can't get.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Liked: 17
There is a sort of work around. You could download Zinc.tv and launch it using Windows Media Center. Zinc has a very nice interface for Amazon VOD.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I have been able to get this working through PlayOn on my WHS and the 3rd party PlayOn client for 7MC.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Yes, Here is my post on how to...
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/97258.aspx
post #7 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post

I would say yes, sort of. The standard Amazon Unbox client downloads all it's stuff in a DRM wrapped WMV file and puts it in a folder on your computer organized by show. So you can add a new video location to WMC and watch the videos that way. If you setup a season pass for a show and set it to automatically download to your computer, then you get the new episode automagically.

I say sort of because you don't get any information about the movie or show except it's title (which is really just the name of the file). In addition, you still have to manually delete show folders when they are empty. And to check a video back in, you have to use the Unbox client. So it's a bit kludgy at best, but it does work. I don't have anything but OTA channels, so I use it to watch a fair number of cable shows I can't get.

I take from this that it puts each title in it's own folder, if this is the case if you use something like My Movies it would automatically get meta data, covers and fanart if it's setup to monitor the parent dir of the amazon d/ls, then you can browser and launch them form there as well. This would take more work to remove once done w/ the rental as you'd need to remove it from My Movies as well.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is what I have done, it works okay as you say. Sort of off-topic but if I had told somebody the ALMS fans on Facebook that you don't have cable and watch most of your content via downloads and streaming they say you're privileged or something.

Some of the fan base is screaming bloody murder they can't get the 12hrs of Sebring on old Speed TV which would be interrupted by Camping World Truck race and NASCAR Sprint Cup practice, like its always been. Fewer commercials and the stream from ESPN3 has been flawless, but then again I've used ESPN3 a bunch since the World Cup.

But thumbs up for cutting the cord...

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

There is a sort of work around. You could download Zinc.tv and launch it using Windows Media Center. Zinc has a very nice interface for Amazon VOD.

I checked the zinc web site and its just a interface now, check it out - http://www.zinc.tv/

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Have you gotten a video to play with this method? The reason I ask is because the only way I can get it to play in WMC is if I start the video in Unbox, pause it, and then start it in WMC. It didn't always use to be this way. There was a time that I could download the file and it would play in WMC as long as the Unbox service was running, but the player did not need to be open.

On a side note, I really couldn't care about it playing in WMC if the Unbox player wasn't total crap. Being able to navigate the playlist and control media playback with a remote would be a tremendous step in the right direction. Apparently Amazon doesn't think anyone would want to play their files from an HTPC.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM

Hi all,

I realize this is an old thread, but you might find this addin that I have developed interesting - it is free, and now open source, and does the basic streaming of Amazon Prime videos on Media Center.

To find out about it and download it, go to:

http://garethbarr.com/amazonmceaddin/
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page