Does this exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I'm wondering if a particular vision I have for an HTPC actually exists.

What I would love is a small form factor HTPC (think the Dell Zino) which contains a battery and a docking station. Basically I want an HTPC for both of my TVs, but I would only ever be using one at a time. What I would do is buy an extra dock, so that each TV has a dock which is always connected to the A/C power and via HDMI to the TV. I could just move the HTPC from dock to dock whenever I want to use it on the other TV. Obviously, the battery would only need to last 5 minutes tops.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Yes, a laptop with docking stations.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Bingo, vseven nailed it.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Haha, yeah I figured someone would say that. I guess you could even skip the docking station and just go for a laptop with an HDMI port, and buy an extra power adapter. The thing is, laptops have too large of a footprint, they're more expensive for one with decent specs, and I feel like I'd pay so much extra for the built-in screen.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw1987 View Post

I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I'm wondering if a particular vision I have for an HTPC actually exists.

What I would love is a small form factor HTPC (think the Dell Zino) which contains a battery and a docking station. Basically I want an HTPC for both of my TVs, but I would only ever be using one at a time. What I would do is buy an extra dock, so that each TV has a dock which is always connected to the A/C power and via HDMI to the TV. I could just move the HTPC from dock to dock whenever I want to use it on the other TV. Obviously, the battery would only need to last 5 minutes tops.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Have a look at the Mac Mini. You'd need to get extra power plug, kbd,mouse, HDMI outlet for each TV. The Mac Mini is pretty small.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

OR just get a really cheap/small ups.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abw1987 View Post

just go for a laptop with an HDMI port, and buy an extra power adapter. they're more expensive for one with decent specs, and I feel like I'd pay so much extra for the built-in screen.

No they are not. Not anymore.
Laptops with HDMI are becoming more and more common nowadays.
A few months ago Walmart was selling a Win 7 laptop with the ATI HD 4250 IGP w/ HDMI for $300.
You can get a decent spec'd Core i3 (or even i5) with Intel HD Graphics for less than $500. A decent HTPC would cost about the same.
Over the last 9 months or so, I have shopped for 5 laptops so I have seen a lot of deals.
One of the best deals was a Gateway sold by Best Buy and a great deal on an Acer from Sears. Both were Intel Core i series CPUs, HD IGPs with Blu-Ray drives and cost around $500.
You can't beat that value.
I suggest you go that route.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

Have a look at the Mac Mini. You'd need to get extra power plug, kbd,mouse, HDMI outlet for each TV. The Mac Mini is pretty small.

Mac Minis contain batteries to keep them powered while unplugged?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

Not really a fan of Apple products in general, but I guess if that sort of thing was what I was looking for, I'd go with a Zino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighick View Post

OR just get a really cheap/small ups.

I guess I was looking for a "cleaner" solution, but I hadn't thought about that. Something to consider for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

No they are not. Not anymore.
Laptops with HDMI are becoming more and more common nowadays.
A few months ago Walmart was selling a Win 7 laptop with the ATI HD 4250 IGP w/ HDMI for $300.
You can get a decent spec'd Core i3 (or even i5) with Intel HD Graphics for less than $500. A decent HTPC would cost about the same.
Over the last 9 months or so, I have shopped for 5 laptops so I have seen a lot of deals.
One of the best deals was a Gateway sold by Best Buy and a great deal on an Acer from Sears. Both were Intel Core i series CPUs, HD IGPs with Blu-Ray drives and cost around $500.
You can't beat that value.
I suggest you go that route.

Geez, laptops with blu-ray drives for $500? That's pretty impressive. I mean, whenever I've shopped for pre-built laptops, they're generally missing some big piece that I want (like dedicated graphics), but I'm sure even a lot of integrated graphics solutions these days are more than adequate for a HTPC.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder how long it will be before there's a Netbook that would qualify as a decent HTPC (w/ an external Blu-Ray player)?

Back when I joined AVSForum, you needed a high end computer with a high end video card, and a lot of patience getting everything to work. We're now to the point where just about any computer and a $50 video card is adequate, and you can just hook it to your TV, it will display (with some minor adjustments), and the software you need is included with Windows. The progress is amazing.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page