Ceton InfiniTV 4 Questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
early on with the USB Version there were Firmware issues, those were fixed, but people seemed to over look why the unit would turn off when they weren't home (thus missing recordings in WMC).

when you system is inactive, especially a laptop, it shuts down devices (screen, HDD, USB and other ports on the mainboard.)

I'd recommend ensuring the HDD is set to "Turn off after: Never" as well as the USB Ports. i dunno if you can control individual USB ports or not, i just leave them all on.

The internal PCIe Slot Tuner is unaffected as long as the system doesnt go into standby.

Skate Zilla
-----------
Skate Zilla HD Studios - VA Beach, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 16
SkateZilla,
Yes, I the HDD not going into sleep mode at all, but I have Win7 Home Premium and do not see any "advanced" choice in my power options that gets me into the USB power setting specifically as you stated. May be a different way on mine? FWIW I did find that the latest USB firmware upgrade from 1.0.9.6 to 1.1.2.4 stopped all the crashes (that had to be manually restored with pulling and restoring power), and that I am also getting much better (though not perfect) recording reliability.
post #33 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

1. ClickStart, type power options in the Start Search box, and then clickPower Options in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator
password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Under the selected power plan, click Change plan settings.
3. Click Change advanced power settings.
4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand USB settings, and then expandUSB selective suspend setting.
6. If you want to disable Windows 7 to turn off the USB root hub click Disabled in thePlugged in list, and then click OK

I think i had to manually uncheck the "Allow windows to turnoff this device" in the device manager for all USB Hubs, HIDs, and devices i didnt want to turn off.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #34 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You likely already got answers to all of your questions, but I just wanted to jump in and confirm the following, as I just recently became a "HTPC/Ceton InfiniTV" user myself, and I remember all the fear and trepidation I had about "jumping in" to this technology, so perhaps the following will be helpful:

1. Yes, you will get your full channel lineup. ESPN. TNT. Showtime. HBO. Every channel you currently get through your cable box, with perhaps one exception, as detailed in #2 below.

2. What I don't get, as a Comcast user, is "Comcast On-Demand", which I believe is channel #0. Ceton/Windows has it's own "digital on-demand" thing, but I really don't use it (or Comcast's), because I have/prefer Netflix.

3. As others have likely explained, the Ceton InfiniTV is hardware and software to be installed into your PC, but you still need to "rent" a CableCARD from your cable provider. The good news is, assuming two-tuners-per-crummy-cable-company-dvr, that second DVR box by itself is likely almost $20 a month. One cablecard only costs me about $6 or $7 a month, and the Ceton/Windows7 combo is able to take that one card and record/tune 4 channels at once with it.

4. Your cable provider CAN flag material as "copy once", and if flagged as such, you will only be able to make one recording of that file, and you won't be able to move that file, ect. without "breaking DRM", which is not impossible, but is illegal. There are no guarantees unless you know someone IN YOUR AREA with YOUR CABLE PROVIDER who has a HTPC, but in all liklihood you cable provider is only going to flag HBO/Showtime/Cinnemax/ect content as "Copy Once", and all Network/Standard Cable will be "Copy Freely".

5. All of your recordings/content will be "localized" to your HTPC, unlike if you buy an HDHomeRunPrime, which can assign tuners to multiple PCs. "Windows Media Center Extenders" can then grab your HTPC material and stream it to other locations on your Network, but currently the only fully functional Extenders are XBox 360's and other PC's running Windows 7 (Vista PC's have very limited functionality as "extenders", which I unfortunately learned the hard way). Ceton supposedly has an extender on the way, though, which will give consumers another option. Personally, I'm hopeful that Windows 8 tablets will be able to be extenders.

Personally, I've hit a few bumps in the road regarding getting Remote Potato configured and using various file conversion software (purchased a software called AVS4You on a recommendation and have been disappointed to-date), but overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase and experience. The Ceton is awesome. I don't think you'll regret it.
post #35 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateZilla View Post

1. ClickStart, type power options in the Start Search box, and then clickPower Options in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator
password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. Under the selected power plan, click Change plan settings.
3. Click Change advanced power settings.
4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand USB settings, and then expandUSB selective suspend setting.
6. If you want to disable Windows 7 to turn off the USB root hub click Disabled in thePlugged in list, and then click OK

I think i had to manually uncheck the "Allow windows to turnoff this device" in the device manager for all USB Hubs, HIDs, and devices i didnt want to turn off.

Will give it a go tonight or this weekend. I have a Win7 laptop here at the office and I did see that "selectective suspend" option. Much obliged!
post #36 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

You likely already got answers to all of your questions, but I just wanted to jump in and confirm the following, as I just recently became a "HTPC/Ceton InfiniTV" user myself, and I remember all the fear and trepidation I had about "jumping in" to this technology, so perhaps the following will be helpful:

1. Yes, you will get your full channel lineup. ESPN. TNT. Showtime. HBO. Every channel you currently get through your cable box, with perhaps one exception, as detailed in #2 below.

2. What I don't get, as a Comcast user, is "Comcast On-Demand", which I believe is channel #0. Ceton/Windows has it's own "digital on-demand" thing, but I really don't use it (or Comcast's), because I have/prefer Netflix.

3. As others have likely explained, the Ceton InfiniTV is hardware and software to be installed into your PC, but you still need to "rent" a CableCARD from your cable provider. The good news is, assuming two-tuners-per-crummy-cable-company-dvr, that second DVR box by itself is likely almost $20 a month. One cablecard only costs me about $6 or $7 a month, and the Ceton/Windows7 combo is able to take that one card and record/tune 4 channels at once with it.

4. Your cable provider CAN flag material as "copy once", and if flagged as such, you will only be able to make one recording of that file, and you won't be able to move that file, ect. without "breaking DRM", which is not impossible, but is illegal. There are no guarantees unless you know someone IN YOUR AREA with YOUR CABLE PROVIDER who has a HTPC, but in all liklihood you cable provider is only going to flag HBO/Showtime/Cinnemax/ect content as "Copy Once", and all Network/Standard Cable will be "Copy Freely".

5. All of your recordings/content will be "localized" to your HTPC, unlike if you buy an HDHomeRunPrime, which can assign tuners to multiple PCs. "Windows Media Center Extenders" can then grab your HTPC material and stream it to other locations on your Network, but currently the only fully functional Extenders are XBox 360's and other PC's running Windows 7 (Vista PC's have very limited functionality as "extenders", which I unfortunately learned the hard way). Ceton supposedly has an extender on the way, though, which will give consumers another option. Personally, I'm hopeful that Windows 8 tablets will be able to be extenders.

Personally, I've hit a few bumps in the road regarding getting Remote Potato configured and using various file conversion software (purchased a software called AVS4You on a recommendation and have been disappointed to-date), but overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase and experience. The Ceton is awesome. I don't think you'll regret it.

the Ceton Tuners can be assigned to other PCs on a Network:

You can build 1 master box assign it to only use 2 Tuners, and have another PC use the other 2 tuners over the network.

I have one client i built a system for, we put 2 Cards in one master system with 16GB of ram, 4 of the tuners belong to that system hooked to that tv, So Tuners 0-3 are setup on that system. from there he has a 2 small form factor PCs hooked to 2 more tvs, with 2 tuners assigned/linked to each system.

PDF Guide:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/I...etup_Guide.pdf

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #37 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

the Ceton Tuners can be assigned to other PCs on a Network:

You can build 1 master box assign it to only use 2 Tuners, and have another PC use the other 2 tuners over the network.

I have one client i built a system for, we put 2 Cards in one master system with 16GB of ram, 4 of the tuners belong to that system hooked to that tv, So Tuners 0-3 are setup on that system. from there he has a 2 small form factor PCs hooked to 2 more tvs, with 2 tuners assigned/linked to each system.

PDF Guide:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/I...etup_Guide.pdf

I did not know that.

In your opinion, what then, if any, is the advantage to the HDHomeRunPrime? I get concerned that tuners that should be making recordings to my *main HTPC* megabox are either out or get assigned elsewhere, and the recording goes down on a machine other than my main one. Is there a way to prioritize?
post #38 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

AFAIk, if you Tell PC1 to record a show in Windows Media Center, it will only record on that PC, and if You tell PC2 to record a show it will only record on that PC.

So if you tell the Master System to record shows, that system will use the tuners you selected for that system to record the shows on that pc, if your on a PC in another room using the networked Tuner, and tell it to record, it will record on the networked PC.

Tuners are Dynamic, Once you Choose which tuners stay with the host, they are unavailable to other systems, once you choose which tuners are networked, they are available on the network until they are Linked to a PC on the client system. in order to move network tuners from one PC to another, they need to be released from one system and setup on another (i don't recommend doing that). Networked Tuners will have the "PC NAME" next to the name of the Tuner in the Tuner Selection Screen, as you can see in the PDF File.

If the systems are networked correctly, they can view each others recordings. However Cable Company DRM might be an Issue. I believe the Xbox 360 can do everything, including watch Live TV from the Host PC.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #39 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

I did not know that.

In your opinion, what then, if any, is the advantage to the HDHomeRunPrime? I get concerned that tuners that should be making recordings to my *main HTPC* megabox are either out or get assigned elsewhere, and the recording goes down on a machine other than my main one. Is there a way to prioritize?

The advantage of the HDHR is you don't have to assign tuners to be fixed to a pc.

I have the ceton and would like to watch tv in the bedroom but its very seldom. I don't thing its worth it to lose a tuner in the main pc just to use it in the bedroom maybe once every two weeks.

This is where the HDHR is better.
post #40 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

The advantage of the HDHR is you don't have to assign tuners to be fixed to a pc.

I have the ceton and would like to watch tv in the bedroom but its very seldom. I don't thing its worth it to lose a tuner in the main pc just to use it in the bedroom maybe once every two weeks.

This is where the HDHR is better.

an extender would be the best choice then for that, as it will access everything.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #41 of 45 Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

an extender would be the best choice then for that, as it will access everything.

Yes most definitely. But there isn't a decent one sold right now (imo)

Definitely grabbing an Echo though when its out.
post #42 of 45 Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a ceton infinitv card yesterday but haven't installed it yet. I am a bit confused and maybe assumed I would be able to do something that I cannot.

I have 2 TVs connected to 2 HTPC right now (Living room and Bedroom), each are connected via wired ethernet.

I will put the Ceton card in the living room HTPC and wanted to
a) use the bedroom HTPC to use one tuner from the living room htpc
b) use the bedroom HTPC as an extender to access the DVR'd content from the living room HTPC
c) use the bedroom HTPC to start recordings on the living room HTPC

Which of these are possible? Thanks
post #43 of 45 Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck92105 View Post

I just got a ceton infinitv card yesterday but haven't installed it yet. I am a bit confused and maybe assumed I would be able to do something that I cannot.

I have 2 TVs connected to 2 HTPC right now (Living room and Bedroom), each are connected via wired ethernet.

I will put the Ceton card in the living room HTPC and wanted to
b) use the bedroom HTPC as an extender to access the DVR'd content from the living room HTPC

Which of these are possible? Thanks

Networked Tuners make this easy.

Windows 7 HomeGroups Make this Easy.

Not Sure about this one.

People using The Network Tuner Setup have the common mis-understanding about how it works, once the tuner is assigned to a network PC, it sends the signal to that PC's Windows Media Center Via MoCA or MAC IP. Tuner functions accessed on that PC are exclusive to that tuner and pc and do not affect other PCs on the Home Group or the actual Host PC.

If you Setup a Win7 PC as an Extender I dont think you can access DVR'd Content or Live TV (DRM issues) and I dont think Win7 PCs linking are counted as "extenders", you'd need an actual extender, which is limited to Xbox 360's Right now.

With an Xbox 360 You'd be able to do View the Media Library, Access Live TV and DVR Functions.

I've emailed Ceton about the Upcoming 6 tuner box, but they wont release any details yet. my only concern was setting 1 or 2 tuners as network tuners, if Not, i just use my Xbox 360's to access them.

You can get Xbox 360's for as low as $149 at Gamestop.
Xbox Live Gold is NOT required, just a network connection to the same router as your PC, though I'd setup at least a silver account to download System Updates.
Xbox 360's should work out of the box with Media Center Remotes.

Skate Zilla
-----------
post #44 of 45 Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post

Will give it a go tonight or this weekend. I have a Win7 laptop here at the office and I did see that "selectective suspend" option. Much obliged!

Looks like the settings I had were already ok. Did some rework back in Feb with regard to power settings. Probably explains why I am getting very good (not quite perfect) recordings and no crashes anymore.
post #45 of 45 Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

well, my system was already setup power wise if i wanted to do that as i have studio equipment that require certain power settings.

im still deciding if i want to build a new box for my home or wait for the 6 tuner 2tb box by ceton.

Skate Zilla
-----------
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page