Speaker wire POS and NEG terminals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The receiver is Denon 591 and the speakers are Energy 5.1 take classic.

On the receiver I connected the speaker wire to the POS and NEG terminals....however the wire is so long that on the speaker end, I don't know which is the POS or NEG terminal to connect to the speaker satellite?

To the POS and NEG terminals matter or can they be switched or mixed going into the speaker?

For an example, can a NEG speaker wire terminal from the receiver go into the POS speaker wire terminal on the speaker? If not, how the hell do you keep track of which terminal is which on very long wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Okay nevermind, I just realized the speaker wire has a "white" strip on one of the wires that can indicate the terminal which terminal it is.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe they can be switched since the electricity terminates at each terminal so whether its positive on one side or negative on the other it doesnt matter. I think you can get phasing issues in certain situations. No expert just what I recall.

I know just rewiring some of my house thats what they say about that kind of electricity is that as long as for instance its a plugin where you plugin something it wont matter which side is positive or negative (hot or ground) if thats the last thing on the line. It would however if there were a switch after that and then more outlets.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwok View Post

For an example, can a NEG speaker wire terminal from the receiver go into the POS speaker wire terminal on the speaker?

Yes and no. Yes, you can wire the negative to the positive and the speaker will work. However, if you do so then that speaker will be out of phase with the other speakers (unless you somehow manage to wire them all backwards). An out of phase speaker in a multi-speaker system will cause some sounds - those sounds which are played simultaneously through more than one speaker - to be dampened, diffused, or even canceled out and can make the entire system sound "off" in some circumstances. So, no, you shouldn't do it. Speakers and Receivers have clearly marked polarity for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwok View Post

Okay nevermind, I just realized the speaker wire has a "white" strip on one of the wires that can indicate the terminal which terminal it is.

All speaker wire, and most other electric wire, has some sort of marker going down one or both sides to mark polarity.

--

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page