how to get dts-hd output on laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a dell studio 1667 with a ati video card that has HDMI output.....everything works fine but I can't send dts-hd or dolby-hd over hdmi cuase my video card doesn't support that....is there another way, can i buy something to do this?

also, i've read that i can do uncompressed "LCM?" but how does that differ from dts-hd or dolby-hd??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM

As far as I'm aware of, there are no commercially available external soundcards for a laptop that can process and bitstream HD audio codecs.

Going back to your question on LPCM, you can still get DTS-HD and TrueHD that way. The difference is where the signal is decoded. If you choose LPCM, the laptop decodes the audio signal and will send the uncompressed digital stream to the receiver.

Bitstream is often compared to a zip file. It is a compressed version of the digital signal sent out and the receiver will decode the audio signal instead of the computer.

Overall, the information IS identical whether you let the computer or receiver do the work. The difference between the two is related to how the receiver handles the signal. Some do not have the ability to apply bass management and room correction to LPCM, but can to Bitstream or vice versa.

From what I read on www.notebookcheck.net , only the AMD Radeon 5600 series or higher can bitstream in a laptop, but I couldn't find any confirmation where someone actually did this.

If your laptop can support 7.1 channel LPCM via HDMI, then you should be just fine.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is it possible that your Ati video card does not support bitstreaming?

I know that the desktop 4xxx series do not support bitstreaming while the 5xxx series can bitstream with the right software.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamo View Post

I have a dell studio 1667 with a ati video card that has HDMI output.......is there another way, can i buy something to do this?
also, i've read that i can do uncompressed "LCM?" but how does that differ from dts-hd or dolby-hd??

Which card do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpgutter View Post

From what I read on www.notebookcheck.net , only the AMD Radeon 5600 series or higher can bitstream in a laptop, but I couldn't find any confirmation where someone actually did this.

Well, I have the 5450 in my tablet and the HD Codecs show up in audio properties but I haven't tried BD playback on here; don't know if it works.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Is it possible that your Ati video card does not support bitstreaming?

I know that the desktop 4xxx series do not support bitstreaming while the 5xxx series can bitstream with the right software.

I have the Dell Inspiron 14R with i5 with ati 5470. It bitstream to my Onkyo 608 no problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporac View Post

I have the Dell Inspiron 14R with i5 with ati 5470. It bitstream to my Onkyo 608 no problem.

That's good to know. I could also get an MSI i3 laptop with Intel HD graphics to bitstream as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpgutter View Post

According to AMD.com it's 5400 and up.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...y-hd-5400.aspx
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page