AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/n...-and-5-1-surr/

But this one below says that...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/08/1...nstantly-in-2/

Sounds like it was a pipe dream for this year for PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PC has been behind for a while for Netflix. Even now that there is HD for PC I wtill notice much better PQ on the bluray player.
post #3 of 54 Old 10-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Liked: 12
Sony announced 1080P streaming to PS3 and DD sound.
post #4 of 54 Old 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte View Post

PC has been behind for a while for Netflix. Even now that there is HD for PC I wtill notice much better PQ on the bluray player.

Well, that goes without saying...Bluray will always be better then streaming "HD" because the streaming is so compressed. Only until we have fiber to the home with like 1 gb connections will that no longer be the case.

Scott
post #5 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Well, that goes without saying...Bluray will always be better then streaming "HD" because the streaming is so compressed. Only until we have fiber to the home with like 1 gb connections will that no longer be the case.

Im pretty sure he was saying that streaming from a Bluray player has better results than streaming from a PC. Netflix vs Netflix, not Netflix vs Bluray.
post #6 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

You don't need a 1gb connection to beat Blu-ray. Just a 40-50mbps one.

But likely it will be necessary that everyone have 100mbps connections to really handle everything properly. Which means about 5 years, max 10 when everything is starting to get to where you'd like it to be. But likely it will be implemented before then because people are starting to get access to those kind of connections now. And possibly within 2-3 years, or less we could see it.
post #7 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil2012 View Post

You don't need a 1gb connection to beat Blu-ray. Just a 40-50mbps one.

But likely it will be necessary that everyone have 100mbps connections to really handle everything properly. Which means about 5 years, max 10 when everything is starting to get to where you'd like it to be. But likely it will be implemented before then because people are starting to get access to those kind of connections now. And possibly within 2-3 years, or less we could see it.

I don’t know where this Bizarro-USA is that you live in. But I would like to see what other weird and foreign things they have there. Mayhaps you buy toast in the grocery stores there and you put said toast into a machine that turns it into soft bread for sandwiches...

In any case, 2-3, 5-10 years for everyone to have 100Mbps, not likely here in this USA.

-Suntan
post #8 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I downloaded the new Netflix software to my PS3. The picture is clearly better than I get on my HTPC, but the movie pauses every few minutes to retieve more of the movie. That is likely the fault of my DSL Lite connection.
post #9 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I downloaded the new Netflix software to my PS3. The picture is clearly better than I get on my HTPC, but the movie pauses every few minutes to retieve more of the movie. That is likely the fault of my DSL Lite connection.

What DSL speed do you have?

Netflix shouldn't be pausing during the show for buffering, it should drop down to the next available speed. (although admittedly, I haven't used the PS3 to play Netflix stuff much.)

-Suntan
post #10 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I don't know where this Bizarro-USA is that you live in. But I would like to see what other weird and foreign things they have there. Mayhaps you buy toast in the grocery stores there and you put said toast into a machine that turns it into soft bread for sandwiches...

In any case, 2-3, 5-10 years for everyone to have 100Mbps, not likely here in this USA.

-Suntan

That's a very funny post .. and I'd guess you are right .. who knows .. I personally would like to believe 100mbps will happen quicker .. metro areas will get it much sooner than the rest of us ..

You may be on to something with that reverse toast idea ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What DSL speed do you have?

Netflix shouldn't be pausing during the show for buffering, it should drop down to the next available speed. (although admittedly, I haven't used the PS3 to play Netflix stuff much.)

-Suntan

I think DLS Lite is 750KB.

I was surprised Netflix did not lower the quality to keep the movie running. The movie would stop and instead of saying buffering I got a message "retrieving".

I did not see the PS3 run a test of the connection. Maybe that is a glitch Sony had not addressed yet.

I posted to find out if anyone else is having a similar problem with the movie stopping to retrieve more. I just get a lower quality on my HTPC and occasionally the movie stops and buffers.
post #12 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

That's a very funny post .. and I'd guess you are right .. who knows .. I personally would like to believe 100mbps will happen quicker .. metro areas will get it much sooner than the rest of us ..

You may be on to something with that reverse toast idea ..

Yes, well in the last 5 years my DSL has been upped from 1Mbps to... 3Mbps. I don't think 100 is right around the corner anytime soon.

-Suntan
post #13 of 54 Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

I think DLS Lite is 750KB.

I was surprised Netflix did not lower the quality to keep the movie running. The movie would stop and instead of saying buffering I got a message "retrieving".

I did not see the PS3 run a test of the connection. Maybe that is a glitch Sony had not addressed yet.

I posted to find out if anyone else is having a similar problem with the movie stopping to retrieve more. I just get a lower quality on my HTPC and occasionally the movie stops and buffers.

Well, the lowest stream they offer is 500Kbps, so it is possible that your 750 is not keeping up. Not much you can do about that.

-Suntan
post #14 of 54 Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, well in the last 5 years my DSL has been upped from 1Mbps to... 3Mbps. I don't think 100 is right around the corner anytime soon.

-Suntan

Interesting .. my cable access has gone from 3 to 20mbps in the same in the last 3 years .. with no price increase

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #15 of 54 Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting .. my cable access has gone from 3 to 20mbps in the same in the last 3 years .. with no price increase

You have crazy good cable then. Charter around here stinks and in 10 years has gone from 1 meg to 12 and tripled the cost along the way.

A lot of the country has terrible broadband options...if they have any at all.

Scott
post #16 of 54 Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You have crazy good cable then. Charter around here stinks and in 10 years has gone from 1 meg to 12 and tripled the cost along the way.

A lot of the country has terrible broadband options...if they have any at all.

Agreed .. I think it depends so much on the willingness to upgrade the infrastucture .. one of the real limitations of DSL is the age of the national phone grid ..

I've not studied the issue, however, have been under the impression that the USA lags behind other advanced countries .. maybe some of that stimulus money should go toward advancing broadband ..

Uncle Willie

post #17 of 54 Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed .. I think it depends so much on the willingness to upgrade the infrastucture .. one of the real limitations of DSL is the age of the national phone grid ..

I've not studied the issue, however, have been under the impression that the USA lags behind other advanced countries .. maybe some of that stimulus money should go toward advancing broadband ..

Yep...the USA is like 30th in broadband speed and availability.

I live in the city (mid sized) and we have 3 broadband options, although other then Uverse none are higher then 12meg (and good luck getting really half that). But literally 5 miles out of the city in any direction it's all dial-up...even in upscale neighborhoods.

Scott
post #18 of 54 Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I think the slowest speed FIOS offers in my area is 15mbps, I ended up w/ the 35mbps(at no additional charge after complaining about how high our bill was) which actually runs at >40mbps. 35/35mbps is the fastest standard home connection(or what ever they call it) or at least they offer w/ the packages but they also have much faster ones but I'm not sure how high it is now it was up to 50mbps a few years ago. BTW I live in the burbs not the city and it's probably better to live in lower populated areas to get the best speed out of any connection your provider offers and having fiber run all the way to your house sure doesn't hurt like FIOS and some others also do.

The whole audio thing is the main reason I really don't use the streaming part of my Netflix account sure the video could be better but on a lot of the HD content it's close to what I get for HD TV. I have a HTPC connected to a HT and 2ch audio isn't HT in my book, sure my Dolby PLII get sound to the rears and sounds good but it's still not getting the proper sound to each channel and your losing a big part of your HT experience at least the 1-2 BDs I can get per week are the way they should be.

post #19 of 54 Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

The whole audio thing is the main reason I really don't use the streaming part of my Netflix account sure the video could be better but on a lot of the HD content it's close to what I get for HD TV. I have a HTPC connected to a HT and 2ch audio isn't HT in my book, sure my Dolby PLII get sound to the rears and sounds good but it's still not getting the proper sound to each channel and your losing a big part of your HT experience at least the 1-2 BDs I can get per week are the way they should be.

I guess it depends on your expectations.

I really appreciate streaming for what it is and use it quite a bit, but I only watch it on TVs that have 2 ch stereo anyway. Although I use and enjoy the qualities of BR, I don't need *all* my TV watching to be at full throttle.

-Suntan
post #20 of 54 Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really appreciate streaming for what it is and use it quite a bit, but I only watch it on TVs that have 2 ch stereo anyway. Although I use and enjoy the qualities of BR, I don't need *all* my TV watching to be at full throttle.

-Suntan

It actually matter on what I'm watching, I guess that's why I do use it maybe once a month and I'll only watch something that missing surround sound won't take much away from it like a comedy but I won't even bother w/ something like an action movie because of the 2ch thing. I also only use it if we don't have anything else we want to watch which isn't often since we have most like have plenty of things in the DVR, cablecard tuner, or maybe some BD from Netflix. I'm going to finally drop HBO since we don't watch it much so we might start streaming Netflix more often since we'll lose some of our live and/or DVR content but I would have done it long ago if Netflix at least had 5.1 sound even though HBO does still offer better over all quality.

post #21 of 54 Old 10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I don't know where this Bizarro-USA is that you live in. But I would like to see what other weird and foreign things they have there. Mayhaps you buy toast in the grocery stores there and you put said toast into a machine that turns it into soft bread for sandwiches...

-Suntan

LOLOLOLOL

Get the dude to post pictures of his airplanecarsubmarinetimemachine as well...

I don't think he realizes the entire US would need to be re-wired for 100Mbps.
post #22 of 54 Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

post #23 of 54 Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM

It is working for me.
post #24 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM

Just need to go live near Stanford, where Google will be providing the entire community with 1 Gbps connections... lucky bastards
post #25 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Netflix is back up and improved on the new diskless PS3. I am now getting movies over my DSL Lite playing on my PS3 without pausing every couple minutes to say retrieving. They are now posting an overlay with time played, time left; video quality and audio quality. In video I was getting high/std, in audio I was getting stereo. (I was watching an older movie, Last Tango in Paris). The picture quality is clearly better than I have been getting on my HTPC.
post #26 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to eat a bit of my own wording.

I downloaded and checked out the PS3s new integrated Netflix player last night, mostly out of curiosity, and I must say I am flat out astonished at the performance. While it's still not BR, it clearly has the ability to leave DVDs in the dust (not all offerings, but the good encodes.)

I only have a 3.15Mbps DSL link, but when I loaded Matrix Revolutions it loaded so fast and with such relative clarity that I had to go over and do an internet Speed Test before going to bed to check that the ISP didn't give me a surprise increase in bandwidth (they didn't.)

Like has been mentioned, not all shows offered On Demand have the same PQ, but the good ones are quite good. It still isn't good enough for true blockbusters that I want a BR for, but it has definitely been upgraded in my mind. Whereas Netflix On Demand has always been relegate to Sun-thru-Thurs nights, if you know what I mean, now it has firmly been upgraded as a Fri-Sat night option.

-Suntan
post #27 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What percentage of content is showing improved picture quality and/or HD? At least on Tivo, there isn't very much. Mostly TV shows and a tiny smattering of movies.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor View Post

What percentage of content is showing improved picture quality and/or HD? At least on Tivo, there isn't very much. Mostly TV shows and a tiny smattering of movies.

I really don't know. I've never really used the PS3 for streaming prior to this. The streaming I usually do has been through Play On, and I just fill my "On Demand Que" with shows I want to watch, then it gets loaded in with all my other shows (mostly braodcast recordings) with all of the "Netflix metadata" stripped and replaced with normal metadata, so in affect I don't really keep track of what is available HD vs SD etc.

I would say that all the content (be it SD or HD) looks improved over where it was using the disc on the PS3 (which I really found to be completely unacceptable in my situation and didn't use other than a couple of try-outs when it first came and then periodically to see if things improved.)

I tinkered with three movies last night. Matrix Revolutions (X-high/HD with 5.1) really impressed me with how good the performance was.

Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner one) I believe was also X-high/HD with 5.1 but am not positive, looked markedly less impressive, about equal to a poor DVD encode if you will. Not only was their distinguishable macroblocking in the dark areas of the opening scene (as you would associate with bit-starved digital), but the overall video was soft (like you normally associate with poor transfers of film-to-digital.) However, the opening scene of that movie has a lot of dark settings with a lot of smoke/haze in the air, which is always a killer for low bitrate digital. That and underwater scenes always punish more than other scenes, so it was somewhat expected. I did not watch long enough to get to more brightly lit daytime scenes.

The last one I tinkered with was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (SD 2.0) which was still markedly better than I remember when using the disc, but it had some real issues with cadence and the slow pans were noticeably jerky/messed up. I would not want to watch the movie that way, even thought the PQ was much improved.

-Suntan
post #29 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

It appears that not only does the PS3 offer 5.1 over the 2.0 for PC streaming but also offers HD on things only available in SD for PC streaming. I actually played Matrix Revolutions just in case it just wasn't labeled as HD and definitely wasn't HD.

post #30 of 54 Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

It appears that not only does the PS3 offer 5.1 over the 2.0 for PC streaming but also offers HD on things only available in SD for PC streaming. I actually played Matrix Revolutions just in case it just wasn't labeled as HD and definitely wasn't HD.

Yes. The tiers are different for different players. The list of "HD" (720p) shows available to PC playback is less than the list available to hardware players (roku, BR disc players, etc.) Further, to date, the PS3 is the only player with access to 1080p material (which was implemented just Monday.)

-Suntan
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page