New HTPC. CPU Fan Constantly Runs at Full Speed. Normal Behavior? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

I built my first HTPC. When I start the computer, the CPU fan ramps up to full speeds and stays at that speed. The fan speed does not seem to be correlated to the temperature of the CPU (it constantly hums at full speed).

I tried running lm-sensors but the Core i3 CPU is not yet supported.

Is this normal behavior for the CPU fan? I did not update the BIOS and wondering if that would help turn on any fan speed controller/regulator.

Any help is much appreciated.

Here are the specs:

MB: Intel DH57JG
Processor: Intel Core i3 + stock CPU fan
RAM: PNY 2x2GB MD4096KD3-1600-X8 RT
PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D
Case: Lian Li PC-Q07
Tuner: SiliconDust HDHomerun

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are there options in the BIOS to control the fan? If not, it may require software control from the OS. Ubuntu tend to be a little behind the latest hardware as far as drivers go, I had to wait for 10.10 for my 8300 board to sleep/wake correctly. It might be 11.10 or so before temp monitoring is setup for the i3.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 AM

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Run that real temp - tell us the temps. Then run a stress test (if the temps are low enough). I recommend Prime 95. You tube a video on using it if you can't figure it out. (You need to run the real temp and the stress test at the same time).

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

You can also use something like argus monitor instead of real temp. (which will give you some additional info like HD temps and some fan speeds)..

http://www.argusmonitor.com/en/screenshots.php

My guess is that you installed the heatsink/thermal paste incorrectly at that your temps are running high. If you just use the crappy thermal paste that intel ships (maybe they gave you that sticker paste thing) you might want to swap it out.

But you won't know till you check it out. What were your temps in the BIOS?
It's likely you did something wrong as your fan should be pretty low at idle.. It's unlikely just a BIOS setting as correctly installed a stock BIOS will not run your CPU fan at max all the time.

Personally I would consider an alternative CPU cooler. Depending on your case you can often get a cooler that's both easier to install and much quieter then the stock intel one..
post #4 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Are both the fan and the motherboard cpu fan header 4-pin pwm type? If not, then it would spin at 100%. Also, check your bios settings. It could be set up to run at 100%.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

Are there options in the BIOS to control the fan?

There should be although I can't remember where exactly. Fan works as it should under Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeley View Post

Are both the fan and the motherboard cpu fan header 4-pin pwm type? If not, then it would spin at 100%. Also, check your bios settings. It could be set up to run at 100%.

Stock fan is PWM and so is the fan header on the motherboard.

@GuyClinch
I don't think any of the software you mentioned will work as the OP is using Linux.

@chewable
What temps are you getting in the BIOS? I seem to recall the BIOS having a page for hardware monitoring. Also, what fan settings are you using?
post #6 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Did you double check that you plugged the fan into the CPU fan header?

Check page 12 of http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1870...03_English.pdf

I bet you plugged it into "J" instead of "L". The CPU header is next to the RAM slots.

If that didn't fix it then did you remove the tape covering the thermal paste of the heat sink prior to installing it?

post #7 of 20 Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you assume it's some setting with the fan, check the CPU temperature to make sure it's at a normal level.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Greetings All,

Thanks for your replies.

@spivonious -- The BIOS pages do not provide temperature readings. lm-sensors does not support my CPU (Core i3) yet. I have not tried acpi, but will try. Any additional suggestions on how I can monitor temperatures and fan speed on an Ubuntu box?

@bryansj -- I will double check the plug I used. I can't remember if I used "J" or "L". Also, I did not remove any tape from the heat sink at all, so this could be prime factor for the behavior I am seeing. Thanks for this suggestion. I will remove the tape and perhaps use a different aftermarket thermal paste and report back here on the results.

@GuyClinch -- As ilovejedd also said, realtemp and argus monitor will not work for me because I am using Ubuntu as my OS and not Windows. Also, as I indicated above, I did not remove any tape off the thermal paste on the heatsink, so that may be the prime culprit here, but I am hearing from you that I should consider an alternative heatsink/fan. Any suggestions on ones you like?

@ilovejedd -- I checked the BIOS pages and, though there is a page for hardware monitoring, there is no listing of temperatures or fan speeds. There is an updated BIOS that was release (my MB has an older BIOS version). Perhaps flashing the BIOS will update the hardware monitoring pages to provide that info. I will do so and report back.

Again, thanks for your replies. I will try the suggestions listed and report back.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't worry about the stock cooler. Intel ships theirs with thermal tape; there's no prep work needed. It's true that some high quality thermal paste might get you a few degrees cooler, it's messy and it's very easy to put too much on.

I would triple check to make sure you installed the heatsink correctly. It takes a lot of force to get those four posts to fully snap in. In fact, I'd take the motherboard out and install the CPU heatsink on a table top so you don't risk bending the motherboard too much.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If the case itself is too hot then the cpu fan is going to run full speed because its overheating as a result of the internal temp of the case. You need both good case cooling and cpu cooling.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 AM

What BIOS version do you have?

I have DH57JG and i3-530 processor, and the fan seemed to be operating correctly until I upgraded BIOS to version 0537: my fan then stared to run continuously at full speed.

Apparently this is a known problem (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18941460) which I only found out about after I ran into problems.

I have gone back to BIOS version 0396, and everything is working normally again.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

@keith.baldie@blu -- I can't remember the BIOS version, but it is NOT 0537. I was planning to update the BIOS tonight when I got home from work, but now it seems I should hold off. I may update it to version 0396 if the currently installed version is even older than that. What's installed is the stock BIOS. I hadn't updated it since I purchased it. Thanks for your post...and warning.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Here is what I've done:

(a) Rechecked the installation of the heatsink/fan on the motherboard. It is seated and installed correctly.

(b) Rechecked the fan plug on the motherboard fan header. It is correctly plugged into the "L" header location. I also double checked all other cable installations on the motherboard.

(c) BIOS is at version 0396. I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version 0537, but for some reason the system would not update the BIOS. I tried using the F7 flash update method and the ISO update methods using a USB flash drive. Both methods end up "hanging" and I have to hard shutdown to get out of the update screens. It throws a "checksum" error but the BIOS does not seem to be corrupted. Any ideas on why this is occurring and any solutions is appreciated.

(d) Updated the kernel to the latest version 2.6.35.x.

(e) Ran lm-sensors and OpenHardwareMonitor (with Mono) and neither app is compatible with the MB + CPU combination I have. Additionally, the BIOS pages has a section for hardware (temp and fan speed) monitoring, but when I arrow down to that link and click enter, nothing happens and there is no listing of temperatures or fan speeds. Is this normal for this MB + CPU, that you cannot see temps or fan speeds in the BIOS?

So, I'm still at square one. I cannot monitor nor control temperatures and fan speeds and the fan is rotating at full speed constantly.

I'd like to understand if this is normal behavior for this build, so if anyone has the same combination of MB + CPU + OS (DH57JG + Core i3 + Ubuntu 10.10), please post here your build's behavior.

Thanks!
post #14 of 20 Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Liked: 12
I'm not sure what you're referring to for "L" and "J" headers (I don't own that motherboard). But you want to make sure you are plugged into the CPU header. It should be 4 pin header for PWM control. If it's plugged into a 3 pin header that may be why you have no control and it is 100% on.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

chewable, did you ever resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem and want to know if you succeeded in fixing it.
post #16 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

@diverge -- I double checked and it is plugged into the correct CPU header. It's a 4-pin header.

@DaveShap777 -- No, I have not resolved this issue. The CPU fan eventually ramps up to full speed and stays there.

I am learning that with this combination of OS + MB + CPU, there are limits to what you can do. For example, the section of the BIOS where you can monitor temperature and fan speed is inaccessible. Also, you cannot flash the BIOS using the defined procedures that Intel has published. It is due to Ubuntu (or rather Linux) being installed with this MB + CPU combination. If I had Windows installed, I would be able to access the BIOS section to monitor temperature and fan speed (and be able to control the fan speed based on the temperature reading of the CPU) and also flash the BIOS using the procedures published by Intel.

I may break down and purchase Windows at some point, but for now I'm going to stick with Ubuntu and put up with the fan speed control issue. The computer works beautifully otherwise (other than some other minor issues/annoyances I'm having with Ubuntu and the fact that Netflix doesn't "yet" support Linux). I've ripped a bunch of Blu-ray movies and it plays beautifully through my HDTV.

I will also add that I installed and played around with Mythbuntu but it's a cluster-f*ck of a system. It's really not a system that is ready for prime time. I know there are people that rave about MythTV, but it's really a system that is developed by coders for coders. It's not a system for anyone who just wants to record a show and enjoy watching it.

I spent more time in the logs trying to figure out why it crashed for the 5th time that day and then in the config files tweaking some setting or another. I even messed with various splitters and cable lengths to see if that was causing the crashes. Actually being able to sit back, record a show and watch it took up a minority of my time so I finally gave up. I've uninstalled it and will never go back. I'm going to try XBMC and Freevo to see if they are more stable and easier to manage/baby.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewable View Post

It is due to Ubuntu (or rather Linux) being installed with this MB + CPU combination. If I had Windows installed, I would be able to access the BIOS section to monitor temperature and fan speed (and be able to control the fan speed based on the temperature reading of the CPU) and also flash the BIOS using the procedures published by Intel.

Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. The BIOS runs with no OS installed, so it can't possibly have a dependency on Windows.

The BIOS can be updated by placing the update on a USB stick and pressing F7 when the POST screen shows. You'll need to make sure that the F7 option is enabled in the BIOS setup to do this.

For full power management within the OS, you'll need to find Ubuntu drivers for Intel Management Engine. Intel has been using this for a while, so I'd hope they are included in the latest Ubuntu distro.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

@spivonious -- The procedure you describe would not work on my system. In fact, both the F7 bios flash method nor creating a bootable ISO worked on my system. As I understand it, neither method will work on a system with Linux installed. On my system, both the F7 and bootable ISO methods end up "hanging" with no BIOS update made.

Based on Google searches (I have not yet tried it on my system), you have to create a USB drive with a bootable DOS OS on it (like FreeDOS) and install the BIOS update onto it, mount the OS and then go through the BIOS flash process.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewable View Post

@spivonious -- The procedure you describe would not work on my system. In fact, both the F7 bios flash method nor creating a bootable ISO worked on my system. As I understand it, neither method will work on a system with Linux installed. On my system, both the F7 and bootable ISO methods end up "hanging" with no BIOS update made.

Based on Google searches (I have not yet tried it on my system), you have to create a USB drive with a bootable DOS OS on it (like FreeDOS) and install the BIOS update onto it, mount the OS and then go through the BIOS flash process.

For the bootable USB stick, yes that's true, since the flash program runs under DOS.

But the F7 method should work fine since it happens before anything boots. Make sure that nothing is on the USB stick except for the .bio file. I had some trouble with it until I reformatted the stick and copied the .bio over. My board is the older DG45ID, but from what I understand the procedure for updating is the same.

When you say it froze, was anything on the screen? It takes a while to complete, and I don't remember there being any progress bar or anything. Give it a good 5 minutes before giving up.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-30-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

When I tried the F7 method, I gave it a good 15-20 minutes and nothing happened. I got to the screen where I select the .bio file and start the update process. It's at that point that nothing would happen. It froze at that point.

The only file I had on the USB stick was the bio file.

I will give it another try and see how it goes.

Thanks.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page