ZOTAC Mini-Itx No 5.1 Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-21-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this board: ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI Wi-Fi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard. I have searched and cannot find a solution. I am running the latest NVIDIA Drivers / Win 7 machine. I am trying to get 5.1 sound via the HDMI cable and it is selectable / available in the control panel (NVIDIA Sound options). I am only getting stereo sound when play multi-channel dvds (I am using both Boxee and Media Browser playing ISO files). The receiver is setup correctly as my other HTPC works fine with it. When I run the test on the HTPC (via the control panel) I get the tones out of the right and left stereo channels only as well. No middle, surround backs, subwoofer. I have de-installed / re-installed the drivers. I have read where others are getting the sound through the HDMI cable alone. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Your playback programs are likely decoding the audio track due to a codec setup issue. You need to set it to bitstream the audio track directly out of the HDMI with no pocessing.

Peter
post #3 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke View Post

Your playback programs are likely decoding the audio track due to a codec setup issue. You need to set it to bitstream the audio track directly out of the HDMI with no pocessing.

Peter

When you say "set it", what do you mean? Where do I find this setting? Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea what codecs you have installed so I can't tell you where to set it.

Peter
post #5 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have no idea what codecs you have installed so I can't tell you where to set it.

Peter

Pehaps that is my problem. I just have the NVIDIA drivers installed and then I use media browser. The odd thing is that I did the same on my other PC and it works fine for surround sound (which is also a NVIDIA setup). Do I need Codecs installed? Where can I check if they are installed or not - control panel? Thanks for helping me out.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Use Shark007 codecs.

Make sure to install both codec packs if you are using 64 bit (regular and 64 bit).
post #7 of 14 Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally999 View Post

I have de-installed / re-installed the drivers.

Doesn't that motherboard have Realtek HD audio?

Win7 will install the Microsoft HD audio driver for the audio device. You can confirm that in Device Manager.

I had a similar stereo-only issue with an Asus mobo. You need to remove the default MS driver, and replace it with the Win7_Realtek_R253 HD audio codec driver that can be downloaded from their site. The Realtek control panel will show up in the Control Panel, and then you can configure the audio output.

Regards
post #8 of 14 Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Try what blue_z posted. I run that board and only installed Haali Media Splitter and it plays back the media files I want to play and I get surround sound bitstreamed via optical to my receiver.

Peter
post #9 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Doesn't that motherboard have Realtek HD audio?

Win7 will install the Microsoft HD audio driver for the audio device. You can confirm that in Device Manager.

I had a similar stereo-only issue with an Asus mobo. You need to remove the default MS driver, and replace it with the Win7_Realtek_R253 HD audio codec driver that can be downloaded from their site. The Realtek control panel will show up in the Control Panel, and then you can configure the audio output.

Regards

I can give that a try but does the Realtek driver your speaking of support the 5.1 sound through HDMI? I don't want to add a SPDIF cable in addition to the HDMI.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tally999 View Post

I can give that a try but does the Realtek driver your speaking of support the 5.1 sound through HDMI? I don't want to add a SPDIF cable in addition to the HDMI.

Actually, I don't know what you need for HDMI, so don't bother.
In one build, I wanted 5.1 analog outputs.
In another build, I wanted S/PDIF output.

You should keep the generic device drivers from MS, and ignore the drivers from the chip manufacturer.

And next time could you please specify exactly what kind of advice you want to hear and/or you will accept so that we don't waste your time.

My apologies for taking your "any suggestions would be appreciated" so literally.

Regards
post #11 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

What is your connection? HTPC -> receiver -> TV?

Peter
post #12 of 14 Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_z View Post

Actually, I don't know what you need for HDMI, so don't bother.
In one build, I wanted 5.1 analog outputs.
In another build, I wanted S/PDIF output.

You should keep the generic device drivers from MS, and ignore the drivers from the chip manufacturer.

And next time could you please specify exactly what kind of advice you want to hear and/or you will accept so that we don't waste your time.

My apologies for taking your "any suggestions would be appreciated" so literally.

Regards

No need to apologize - I really appreciate the help...I should have been more clear in my post although I do indicate "I am trying to get 5.1 sound via the HDMI cable". I realize what you are suggesting will work. It is just that my preference is to use only one cable (rather than 2) and this board should support that.

Quote:

What is your connection? HTPC -> receiver -> TV?

Peter

Yes. What I do notice is that when the PC is connected to the receiver, the options in the control panel do expand to 5.1 or 7.1; and when connected to a monitor (I tested this), I get the option for stereo only as the monitor has only 2 speakers (L and R). So I think it is safe to assume that the PC is detecting the receiver properly through the HDMI port. The problem is when I try to play the test tones (via the control panel) or a 5.1 ISO file, and eventhough 5.1 sound is selected in the control panel, playback is only stereo. Maybe my receiver needs to be setup differently. Again the wierd thing is that when I connect another HTPC up to the receiver, it works fine. It also works fine with an Xtreamer. I am using a HK AVR254 receiver on this setup.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

so you just get no sound when the test tone for those other channels should be playing? That does sound like a receiver set-up issue.

You did test those other devices on the same HDMI input port? I'd think each input port would be set up individually.

Peter
post #14 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

so you just get no sound when the test tone for those other channels should be playing? That does sound like a receiver set-up issue.

You did test those other devices on the same HDMI input port? I'd think each input port would be set up individually.

Peter

Peter - I only did the test tone thing on the one HTPC (that is not working) plus hooked up another HTPC (and a Xtreamer) to the same port and it worked. I did not try other HDMI ports on the receiver. A key point however is that the HTPC and Xtreamer that I had hooked to the same receiver / HDMI port was a month ago; so I guess it is possible I have an HDMI port issue with the receiver (where the problem occurred after I had the other devices hooked up). I am going to mess around with the settings on the receiver a bit to see if I can narrow this down further. Plus I will hookup the Xtreamer again so I have a current test with another device. Thanks for the help.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page