My head is spinning! Please help me set-up my HTPC! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just purchased my HTPC last night and spent 6 hours putting everything together and loading the software that came with evrything. I have Media Center 7 running with some coverart from movies stored on my WD 1TB External Drive.

I now need help setting this thing up so I can rip my BD and DVDs. I plan on getting a Boxee Box in Decemeber for my 100 inch Projector set-up Panny AE900U and Onkyo AVR running a 5.1 Set-up everything via HDMI. Also have a PS3 as well connected.

I will hook my HTPC to the Onkyo then to the projector until I get the Boxee and then I will tranfer files etiher via the Network or off external Drives to the Boxee have not decided yet becuase of cabling issues right now.

My HTPC Set-up:

Phenom II x2 560 Black Edition Unclocked
4GB DDR3
LG Super Multi Blu-ray Combo Drive
Windows 7
MSI 785GM-P45 AM3 785G MATX MB
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0GB - HDD
XFX Radeon HD5450
Iogear USB Wireless Keyboard - Have not opened yet might want something different some type of Harmony Remote if possible

I want the easiet set-up possible with Coverart and ability to rip and play blue rays and normal DVDs. No TV shows needed. Music file support would be great as well.

I have read a bunch of the tutorials but they all seem to conflict in one area or another.

I just want it to work.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
To rip BDs, you'll have to buy DVDFab or AnydvdHD.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Easiest setup possible?

Get MakeMKV (to rip BD), put each MKV in it's own directory with the directory name the name of the movie (\\Iron Man 2\\Iron Man 2.MKV).

Get Media Center Master to download coverart (just point it and the drive(s) and directories that are holding your movies and wait, it can take a long, long time to get 100s of movies).

Get and install MediaBrowser on the HTPC.

Get MPC-HC and set it up as an external player from MediaBrowser. Follow the directions in the HTPC Software guide.

That should do it for you.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
post #4 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

Easiest setup possible?

Get MakeMKV (to rip BD), put each MKV in it's own directory with the directory name the name of the movie (\\Iron Man 2\\Iron Man 2.MKV).

Get Media Center Master to download coverart (just point it and the drive(s) and directories that are holding your movies and wait, it can take a long, long time to get 100s of movies).

Get and install MediaBrowser on the HTPC.

Get MPC-HC and set it up as an external player from MediaBrowser. Follow the directions in the HTPC Software guide.

That should do it for you.

I never heard of makeMKV. I'm downloading it now to give it a try. I've already purchased AnyDVDHD but makeMKV looks interesting as an alternative.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page