Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3711 Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post
I think the problem with the task bar and active window bit is KB2977629, uninstall it and let me know, seems to have fixed my issues.
That fixed it! I removed the update and all is well with my HTPC once again. Thanks for doing the detective work on this one! Is there some forum or method to provide feedback to Microsoft about this security update to let them know that it had unwanted side-effects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3711 Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsecrist View Post
We aren't likely to get much help from Arcsoft on this one... Not only is it TMT5, but they appear to have dropped Total Media Theater completely, including the latest TMT6! I started a new thread on the Arcsoft forum about it. The product has completely disappeared from their website. http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_p...ID=54364#54364

Has anyone tried TMT3 or TMT6? Or the latest version of TMT5? I haven't since I don't want to mess with Cinevia.
Yeah noticed that too, they have a listing now of "current products they support" and TMT is all-of-a-sudden not one of them. No wonder they had a sale on TMT just recently. Looks like the joke is on consumers. In their support forum it's not even mentioned either--very weird.

It's funny the way these companies work--so fly by night as it were. I mean I started out using PDVD and with the various issues and whatnot I eventually switched to TMT. Then TMT started to suck and back to PDVD I went for BD playback. While it's not perfect it's at least better than before. They're pretty bad for the updates too, both of them. Instead of updating AACS keys as any company would, they just eventually stop supporting older versions and just make a new one instead While the new versions are fine you'd at least expect them to release AACS updtates for every version just like consumer electronics BD player makers have to. I mean you can still play every BD on an old skool Sony or Panasonic, etc. player despite the fact that they're many model years on now. Not so with PDVD at least. Have to use AnyDVD if you want to use the old versions.

Corel's WinDVD did at least issues plain AACS updates IIRC, though it's not too popular a program outside of OEM and never seemed to have as many config options to me.

It's ashame MS doesn't offer some kind of BD playback pack for Windows at least; put these companies like Cyberlink and Arcsoft out to pasture.
post #3693 of 3711 Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsecrist View Post
That fixed it! I removed the update and all is well with my HTPC once again. Thanks for doing the detective work on this one! Is there some forum or method to provide feedback to Microsoft about this security update to let them know that it had unwanted side-effects?
No idea, i'm still bummed about TMT, but with cinavia, i would think the market for these products was dwindling as there are too many other players out there, you might not get full menue and 3d maybe a problem, but hey Kodi (XBMC) is free, right.

I'm trying to find out where to down loaded the latest version of 6 for safe keeping.

glad there was an easy fix to this problem.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #3694 of 3711 Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

It's ashame MS doesn't offer some kind of BD playback pack for Windows at least; put these companies like Cyberlink and Arcsoft out to pasture.
this is where MS would have killed the apple TV, to bad MCE was ahead of its time and Bill did a crappy job Marketing a great product, the number of household with a PC, and they failed to cash in on it, on the other hand folks are buying these media streamer, and your grand parents are streaming with a raku, or the like.

but yeah, MCE with BD play back, would be a God of a media center, and I would be willing to pay $100-200 for it. as much time as i've spend reading and tweaking systems, having an all in one solution I'm all in. I'm still using MCE 7 with my ceton, and will continue until it just stops working.

post #3695 of 3711 Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
While the new versions are fine you'd at least expect them to release AACS updtates for every version just like consumer electronics BD player makers have to. I mean you can still play every BD on an old skool Sony or Panasonic, etc. player despite the fact that they're many model years on now.
Do old hardware players really get updates? I know my Samsung hasn't been updated in a long time. I think the difference is that hardware players don't get AACS blacklisted/expired like software players do. I could be wrong though.
post #3696 of 3711 Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For additional information and comments, see new thread Arcsoft TMT is done with FYI. TMT6 is no longer available, other than as a torrent, on the net.
post #3697 of 3711 Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have Powerdvd 12 and it is not able to play bdmv, but it plays my iso files and discs fine bitstreaming DTS HD audio fine. DTS HD audio is also working fine with MPC-HC. However I got TMT6 to play my bdmv folders and setup to use for playing ISOs and discs via xbmc. TMT6 is not bitstreaming DTS HD audio for me. I have tried messing with the audio settings in the AV Center drop down in TMT 6 but still unable to get the DTS HD. I play the same ISO files and discs just through Power DVD to confirm I get DTSHD there, and then do the same in TMT6 and it does not work.

What am I missing? Is there a solution for this and if not is there an alternative program that one can use to play bdmv's, ISO files, and discs for 3D blu ray movies that supports DTS HD?

Thanks
post #3698 of 3711 Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have "cured" the flashing by the simple process of stopping the explorer.exe process. (Using Task Manager). Does not seem to have any negative effect on Windows Media Center or TMT for now. (my HTPC is dedicated to using Windows Media Center and rarely for anything else.) I'll have to stop explorer.exe again on the rare occasions that I reboot the HTPC, but this solution is working for now.
post #3699 of 3711 Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
this is where MS would have killed the apple TV, to bad MCE was ahead of its time and Bill did a crappy job Marketing a great product, the number of household with a PC, and they failed to cash in on it, on the other hand folks are buying these media streamer, and your grand parents are streaming with a raku, or the like.

but yeah, MCE with BD play back, would be a God of a media center, and I would be willing to pay $100-200 for it. as much time as i've spend reading and tweaking systems, having an all in one solution I'm all in. I'm still using MCE 7 with my ceton, and will continue until it just stops working.
Yes !! I couldn't agree more. If you think back they were late to the game with DVD playback as well.
They should do it, and let the surface do it as well.
post #3700 of 3711 Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastjayhawk View Post
I have "cured" the flashing by the simple process of stopping the explorer.exe process. (Using Task Manager). Does not seem to have any negative effect on Windows Media Center or TMT for now. (my HTPC is dedicated to using Windows Media Center and rarely for anything else.) I'll have to stop explorer.exe again on the rare occasions that I reboot the HTPC, but this solution is working for now.
Or you can uninstall KB2977629. Solved, and then install chrome, or other browser when you need to access the internet.

This security update resolves 1 publicly disclosed and 36 privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. This security update protects Internet Explorer from being attacked when you view a specially crafted webpage.

post #3701 of 3711 Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Or you can uninstall KB2977629. Solved, and then install chrome, or other browser when you need to access the internet.

This security update resolves 1 publicly disclosed and 36 privately reported vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. This security update protects Internet Explorer from being attacked when you view a specially crafted webpage.
Thanks, I'll do that. I have not use IE for years, so this is a better fix.
post #3702 of 3711 Old 09-26-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
MCE was very good, particularly back in the XP days...I liked it then. I'd use it with an analog tuner as a PVR and stuff (these days can't do that with HD & Canadian cable providers unfortunately). One thing I really hated though was the moronic replacement of album art on music files (to lower-res/quality images despite the fact it could read/display higher quality ones without issue). It took quite some effort to prevent from happening, modifying settings, write protecting things, etc.. The same continued with Vista's MCE, and I have no idea why they couldn't fix that issue and that was about it for me--totally stopped using it after that and today I couldn't care less. I dunno if they ever fixed the music file issue but if they did that and had BD playback, I'd definitely be "in" for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
Do old hardware players really get updates? I know my Samsung hasn't been updated in a long time. I think the difference is that hardware players don't get AACS blacklisted/expired like software players do. I could be wrong though.
Ahh, yeah so that must be what it is. I always wondered why the computer programs seemed to need AACS updates more often than hardware players. I guess that must have been a requirement from the outset of BD? Really they should have made software players the same...I don't get the big deal as they're both legitimate playback methods.
post #3703 of 3711 Old 09-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Ahh, yeah so that must be what it is. I always wondered why the computer programs seemed to need AACS updates more often than hardware players. I guess that must have been a requirement from the outset of BD? Really they should have made software players the same...I don't get the big deal as they're both legitimate playback methods.
My guess: because its easier to share copies of software than copies of a hardware BD player.
post #3704 of 3711 Old 11-22-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have problem with my TMT6 when playing my BDMV folder. It draws the wrong color , both 2D and 3D. Everything appears purple, green, orange.
What's wrong?
post #3705 of 3711 Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I have problem with my TMT6 when playing my BDMV folder. It draws the wrong color , both 2D and 3D. Everything appears purple, green, orange.
What's wrong?
Hmm, it only happens with TMT and not other programs? Did it work before and then stop working or has it been like that since you installed it?

Try intentionally disabling hardware acceleration and see if it works then. If it doesn't it might be a TMT problem (try reinstalling?) but if it does then you may have a GPU problem or graphics driver issue. What graphics card do you have (or are you using built-in/APU graphics)?
post #3706 of 3711 Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfineman View Post
My guess: because its easier to share copies of software than copies of a hardware BD player.
Because it is mouch easier to access and re-engineer the software on a PC player than a STB to do nefarious things like extract AACS keys, reverse engineer audio watermarking routines, etc.....
It has nothing to do with sharing copies of software applications-its all about trying to protect the DRM regime implemented by the BDA to secure the content.
post #3707 of 3711 Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
It has nothing to do with sharing copies of software applications-its all about trying to protect the DRM regime implemented by the BDA to secure the content.
Well that idea never worked very well lol. AACS was cracked like 8 months after HD-DVD was released and is quite trivial to get around today.

AACS updates for software players were never tied to individuals or software licences--updates both to software and AACS keys (in the case of players that had standalone AACS updates) were/are possible even with pirated/cracked/illegitimate software, so it couldn't have been anything about software piracy either.

I guess the guys that made the requirement for AACS expiry on software players had thought of it, as you say, as a way of protecting the AACS scheme. However it didn't really work...at all. Not given how quickly it was defeated. Even after they revoked certain software keys it didn't seem to do much. And since companies like Slysoft are "located" in Bermuda, I'm guessing that frees them from worrying about DMCA and any other similar laws which they probably don't have there, lol.
post #3708 of 3711 Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Hmm, it only happens with TMT and not other programs? Did it work before and then stop working or has it been like that since you installed it?

Try intentionally disabling hardware acceleration and see if it works then. If it doesn't it might be a TMT problem (try reinstalling?) but if it does then you may have a GPU problem or graphics driver issue. What graphics card do you have (or are you using built-in/APU graphics)?
I don't have other program that can play BD folder structure.
If I play the m2ts file inside the STREAM folder, everything is ok. The problem only appears when playing the BD folder. So, I think the GPU side is ok. I'm using ATI HD6850. What's weird is that the 3D display options at the top right (SBS, anaglyph, etc) & the display type (amd3d, nvidia3d vision, dlp3d, others) are all greyed out. When I play a 3D content, the red&blue anaglyph is selected by default (the rest are greyed out, hence I can't make any selection )

As TMT is now dead, is PowerDVD is the only choice for BD ISO playback? How about JRiver?
post #3709 of 3711 Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I don't have other program that can play BD folder structure.
If I play the m2ts file inside the STREAM folder, everything is ok. The problem only appears when playing the BD folder. So, I think the GPU side is ok. I'm using ATI HD6850. What's weird is that the 3D display options at the top right (SBS, anaglyph, etc) & the display type (amd3d, nvidia3d vision, dlp3d, others) are all greyed out. When I play a 3D content, the red&blue anaglyph is selected by default (the rest are greyed out, hence I can't make any selection )

As TMT is now dead, is PowerDVD is the only choice for BD ISO playback? How about JRiver?
I am having similar problems with nVidia 650M, I quote myself from W1070's forum.

Dont know if I should post here, but I need see if someone can guide me with 3D and computer players with W1070 because I'm a bit lost. I have a Medion Akoya laptop with an nVidia 650M, and the problem is that 3D options are disabled on nVidia panel, after much searching seems that is because of the Optimus technology, which completely disables it.

However, the other day I played a BlueRay 3D image with TotalMedia 6 and the projector automatically changed to 3D 'frame-packed' mode. Although I have now tried again to play the same image and no longer changes, the movie is visualized in anaglyph mode (3D options disabled).

I've tried other players, such as PowerDVD14, but when I play the film, the projector does not change automatically, and if I press 3D mode button, the projector does change but I think the only thing I am doing is converting from 2D to 3D by the program itself.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had similar experiences. Should I buy a Blu-Ray player and forget the computer, due to apparently not have 3D options?

Thank you.
post #3710 of 3711 Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Because it is much easier to access and re-engineer the software on a PC player than a STB to do nefarious things like extract AACS keys, reverse engineer audio watermarking routines, etc.....
You missed my point (and, in fact, went on to support it). The only point I was trying to make was that the software TMT is a mechanism, by which, DRM is implemented and it would be harder for the industry to police duplication of that software so instead, they may have chosen to revoke it's license. The PC software you allude to is, of course, not licensed by the content industry. In other words, this was an (insignificant?) attempt by the industry to shut down one "exploit" of the DRM.
post #3711 of 3711 Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfineman View Post
You missed my point (and, in fact, went on to support it). The only point I was trying to make was that the software TMT is a mechanism, by which, DRM is implemented and it would be harder for the industry to police duplication of that software so instead, they may have chosen to revoke it's license. The PC software you allude to is, of course, not licensed by the content industry. In other words, this was an (insignificant?) attempt by the industry to shut down one "exploit" of the DRM.
Actually the software is licensed by the content industry since many of the patent holders for the technologies needed to implement playback systems is in the hands of content owning corporations. The expiry had nothing to do with limiting software piracy as you mention but was a result of history, which was that the decryption of DVD's by unlicensed entities was accomplished by vulnerable PC software as I recall, and in this context the industry feared the PC, or any harware which they could not lock down and control, so the expiry requirements was just another layer of anti-consumer requirements which was intended to help the content owner's sleep better at night. Heck-before HDDVD & BD were released the industry had no idea how long it would take to breach their layers of protection. Just look at how paranoid they are/were by noting that BD protection includes AACS (revokable & renewable), HDCP(revokable & renewable), DTCP, elimenation of analog outputs, BD+, audio watermarking, what did I miss?

Last edited by qz3fwd; 11-23-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page