post #361 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

I also pulled the trigger on the TMT5 $29.95 upgrade. The upgrade process seemed easy enough since I already registered TMT3.

I did a search on this thread and I didn't see any posts about installing TMT5. Should I just install TMT5 in addition to TMT3 or should I uninstall TMT3 before installing TMT5? I'm very cautious installing AV software since it seems that one wrong move these days can result in a "broken" HTPC.

Tim

They can exist side by side if you wish. I've personally uninstalled TMT3 as I no longer need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Well pulled the trigger on TMT5 (how irritating is the upgrade procedure , how many times do I have to log in to the arcsoft site ).

BD playback seems fine , does require reclock to get smooth playback on my system ( exactly the same as TMT3) even though I've got an exact 23.976 refresh rate . Thank god for James at slysoft continuing to keep reclock up to date otherwise I suspect my HTPC would be out in the street.

Never bothered with SimHD before and after using it in TMT5 I'm glad I never bothered , even a basic install of MPC HC looks superior let alone madVR. Quite possibly the worst sharpening and scaling routines I've ever seen.
Also considering how ugly SimHD looks its hugely expensive in processing terms , I get stutter on either cpu or gpu processing with any combination of settings other than "off" (Q6600 with an HD3870).

From my point of view its just an update to keep the software current but TMT5 offers me very little in the way of improvements over TMT3 , there are the improvements in functionality that some people may desire such as the 3d side of things but this is a non-issue to me.

How about a CMS , how about audio delay ? Instead of fluff like simHD?

It completely depends on how you configure SimHD. The default settings are, as you say, absolutely horrid. For me, I turn off hardware acceleration, unchecked the automatic setting in SimHD settings, set it to GPU decoding, and turn sharpness to 1. I also set upscaling to either adaptive on my 450 or 1080p on my 5870. (For some stupid reason I don't get the 1080p setting showing up on my 450. Need to ask ArcSoft about that one). This provides me with the best DVD PQ in any of the commercial players including PDVD10 which until now has been my favorite. I'm not saying this will work for you or that it will change your mind in any way. I'm simply saying that my experience with SimHD (which in TMT3 I absolutely *HATED* and criticized constantly) has changed with TMT5.
post #363 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Liked: 10
I like TMT5 and only two issues are holding me back from buying it.

1. It's good that option to leave aero enabled was added, but it only works for 2D blu-ray's. For blu-ray 3D TMT5 always disables aero, regardless of that setting. TMT3 with aero fix never disables Aero (in both 2D and 3D).

2. With TMT3 I can associate uDTStart.exe with .bdmv files and just double click index.bdmv to play blu-ray from folder. With TMT5 it doesn't work anymore.

I'm using windows 7 and nvidia 3d vision.
post #364 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks to this thread, I took advantage of the 40% discount and bought TMT5. Installed side-by-side with existing TMT3 and there appear to be no problems with that. Not sure why TMT5 disables Aero (TMT3 does not) but don't care I guess--the new UI seems nicer thus so-far-so-good.

Quote:

Well pulled the trigger on TMT5 (how irritating is the upgrade procedure , how many times do I have to log in to the arcsoft site ).

No matter that I was registered and had bought TMT3 from their online store before, my ID and password didn't work even after I asked-for and got a new password. In the end, from the "Upgrade" link at my Arcsoft account, I was able to get the $50less40% deal but entered my name again as a new customer.

I think their online store is broken...
post #365 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Thanks to this thread, I took advantage of the 40% discount and bought TMT5. Installed side-by-side with existing TMT3 and there appear to be no problems with that. Not sure why TMT5 disables Aero (TMT3 does not) but don't care I guess--the new UI seems nicer thus so-far-so-good.

There's an aero checkbox setting in TMT5.
post #366 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

For me, I turn off hardware acceleration, unchecked the automatic setting in SimHD settings, set it to GPU decoding, and turn sharpness to 1. I also set upscaling to either adaptive on my 450 or 1080p on my 5870. (For some stupid reason I don't get the 1080p setting showing up on my 450. Need to ask ArcSoft about that one).

Thanks for this tip. Tried this in mine and I think SimHD is actually making SD-DVD a little better now and that was NOT the case before.

I've tried several HD-DVDs as well and haven't had any problems at this time. Not sure why this wouldn't be a problem for me but is for others. Makes me feel better about the few remaining HD-DVD titles I have as I still have both this system and a functional Toshiba A2.

Other than the Mouse Pointer staying visible, and that's a minor gripe (but one I hope to fix none-the-less), I'm very happy with this purchase. I was actually very happy with TMT3 but this does appear to be a pretty big improvement here on my system.

Regards,
Paul
post #367 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

Thanks for this tip. Tried this in mine and I think SimHD is actually making SD-DVD a little better now and that was NOT the case before.

I've tried several HD-DVDs as well and haven't had any problems at this time. Not sure why this wouldn't be a problem for me but is for others. Makes me feel better about the few remaining HD-DVD titles I have as I still have both this system and a functional Toshiba A2.

Other than the Mouse Pointer staying visible, and that's a minor gripe (but one I hope to fix none-the-less), I'm very happy with this purchase. I was actually very happy with TMT3 but this does appear to be a pretty big improvement here on my system.

I'm glad that worked for you. The default settings for SimHD *SUCK*. The sharpness is way too high. Plus if you leave the hardware acceleration enabled, then the GPU is doing the upscaling which isn't what you want. So yea, the settings I use have a profound affect on the quality you get.

The mouse pointer issue has been reported so I would imagine they're working on that problem. Hopefully they'll get a fix for it at some point. It doesn't seem to happen to everyone, and even when it does, it doesn't happen all the time. That's going to be a tough one to nail down.
post #368 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm glad that worked for you. The default settings for SimHD *SUCK*. The sharpness is way too high. Plus if you leave the hardware acceleration enabled, then the GPU is doing the upscaling which isn't what you want. So yea, the settings I use have a profound affect on the quality you get.

Yes, manually setting it to 1 works better for me too.

I am not sure if Arcsoft changed anything with V5, but I found SimHD now actually usable for the first time. I had bought it for V3, but never used it - it was simply too much, even in the lowest setting.

SamuriHL, I would appreciate, if you could elaborate a bit on the "the GPU is doing the upscaling which isn't what you want". Why is that? What should do the upscaling instead?

TIA!
____
Axel

post #369 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Yes, manually setting it to 1 works better for me too.

I am not sure if Arcsoft changed anything with V5, but I found SimHD now actually usable for the first time. I had bought it for V3, but never used it - it was simply too much, even in the lowest setting.

SamuriHL, I would appreciate, if you could elaborate a bit on the "the GPU is doing the upscaling which isn't what you want". Why is that? What should do the upscaling instead?

TIA!
____
Axel

Yes, let me clarify. First, yes, they did make changes to SimHD cause TMT3 was *TERRIBLE* for DVD's for me and that's all fixed now in TMT5. Now let me address what I mean on GPU scaling. GPU uses DXVA which is fine and all. But, I've found that software decoding and scaling algorithms, depending on what you're using, give much better PQ. Now, that being said, the program can offload the algorithm they're using to the GPU (cuda or AMD's new API whatever the hell it's called now) so that you're getting the benefits of both software decoding and GPU processing. This is the sweet spot IMO. Best PQ, and fairly low CPU utilization. DXVA is fine but you then rely SOLELY on the GPU's algorithm for scaling and decoding. As we know, AMD and nVidia aren't always the best at drivers.
post #370 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 View Post

No one that knows the hot keys?

Pop-up menu is Ctrl+U

BTW, does TMT5 with corei3 GPU handle the YUV 4:2:0 -RGB 4:4:4 luma and chroma resampling/upsampling correctly? How does the conversion compare to FFDShow+MadVR?

HDPLEX
post #371 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have set up TMT5 and applied the hotfix to play movies from folders within windows media center. Everything is now working ok except for one thing.... I am having a problem having TMT5 play my non-blu ray movies.

When I go to myMovies and choose a non blu ray movie it always plays with media player and not TMT5.
UPDATE: I have found that I can use the command mklink /d hvdvd_ts video_ts to fool media center into thining that it is playing an hddvd and it WILL open the movie with TMT5... But with this fix I would have to make the link on every folder and that is a lot of work... anybody know of a simpler way to open all dvd's in folders using tmt5?
post #372 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44aussie44 View Post

I have set up TMT5 and applied the hotfix to play movies from folders within windows media center. Everything is now working ok except for one thing.... I am having a problem having TMT5 play my non-blu ray movies.

When I go to myMovies and choose a non blu ray movie it always plays with media player and not TMT5.
UPDATE: I have found that I can use the command mklink /d hvdvd_ts video_ts to fool media center into thining that it is playing an hddvd and it WILL open the movie with TMT5... But with this fix I would have to make the link on every folder and that is a lot of work... anybody know of a simpler way to open all dvd's in folders using tmt5?

You can edit the externalplayer.xml in the MyMovies folder to include TMT5.

____
Axel

post #373 of 3711 Old 11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'd give it a shoot here:

My system:
- projector Optoma GT720 in 720p 120hz DLP Link 3D mode
- HTPC Win 7 64bit, ATI 5570, TMT3 with 3D plugin
- connection, 5570 DVI-HDMI to Optoma in 1280x720 120hz for video, 5570 HDMI-HDMI to Pioneer 23TXH receiver for HD audio bitstream

HTPC hardware is a ASRock P43 board, CPU E5300 dual core, overclocked to 3.33G (333x10), 6G DDR2 ram etc.

TMT3 works perfectly fine on my system, for both 2D as well as 3D playback.

But the TMT5 trial version simply crash on me. If 3D is disabled, TMT5 will show the first instance of video image, then crash. If 3D is enabled, TMT5 will instantly crash when I try to play anything.

I heard TMT5 3D playback handling is much improved. But it simply don't work on my system!

regards,

Li On
post #374 of 3711 Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post

I guess I'd give it a shoot here:

My system:
- projector Optoma GT720 in 720p 120hz DLP Link 3D mode
- HTPC Win 7 64bit, ATI 5570, TMT3 with 3D plugin
- connection, 5570 DVI-HDMI to Optoma in 1280x720 120hz for video, 5570 HDMI-HDMI to Pioneer 23TXH receiver for HD audio bitstream

HTPC hardware is a ASRock P43 board, CPU E5300 dual core, overclocked to 3.33G (333x10), 6G DDR2 ram etc.

TMT3 works perfectly fine on my system, for both 2D as well as 3D playback.

But the TMT5 trial version simply crash on me. If 3D is disabled, TMT5 will show the first instance of video image, then crash. If 3D is enabled, TMT5 will instantly crash when I try to play anything.

I heard TMT5 3D playback handling is much improved. But it simply don't work on my system!

regards,

Li On

First thing to try would be to reset the FSB so the CPU is not overclocked.
post #375 of 3711 Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM

can tmt5 and powerdvd10 3d co-exist peacefully? Or should I install one when using the other?
post #376 of 3711 Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post

can tmt5 and powerdvd10 3d co-exist peacefully? Or should I install one when using the other?

I have all 3 commercial players installed plus MPC-HC. No problems at all.
post #377 of 3711 Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Not yet. But it's possible it could be added at a later date. I have no idea if they plan to or not, but, it's one of THE most requested features for any commercial player.

thanks - to me its more important in some ways than any other image processing/quality - I mean if your running at wrong refresh you're on a looser to start with.

any ideas why its difficult for them ?

I mean XBMC and MPC HC both support it - which makes it even more bizarre.
post #378 of 3711 Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

thanks - to me its more important in some ways than any other image processing/quality - I mean if your running at wrong refresh you're on a looser to start with.

any ideas why its difficult for them ?

I mean XBMC and MPC HC both support it - which makes it even more bizarre.

I honestly don't know what the hold up is for any of the commercial players to add it. I can only surmise there's some screwy edge cases (which we've seen with MPC-HC) where it gets confused or has issues, but, in general it works fine. So I really don't know why it's not implemented in any of them yet. I do know ArcSoft knows how much of a requested feature this is. No guarantee they'll implement it but there's always hope. My guess is right now they're working on the bugs for the initial version of TMT5 and maybe after that they'll begin to look at the feature set. I don't know but that's a guess.
post #379 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

Anyone else having trouble with their mouse not staying hidden? Mine drops away but comes back and stays all the time.

I'm fully aware that this may be a problem with my particular device but it was never an issue in TMT3 and only a minor annoyance now.

It's a real problem. We're trying to track it down. If you have time, please take a moment to report your specific environment and how the problem manifests to customer service.
post #380 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is related to customers that only ordered from the "old" store (transparent externally, but changed on the backend side) or used different email addresses/accounts when placing newer orders. It's a fairly clunky transition, but I've been told once it's been done once, future orders should be smoother sailing.
post #381 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSoft_Jason View Post

I'm pretty sure this is related to customers that only ordered from the "old" store (transparent externally, but changed on the backend side) or used different email addresses/accounts when placing newer orders. It's a fairly clunky transition, but I've been told once it's been done once, future orders should be smoother sailing.

FWIW - TMT could programmatically move the cursor to the far right of the screen when playback begins, that way if it does become visible it will show up off screen.
post #382 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My thoughts on TMT5 coming from TMT3
I have added the hotfix to play from folders.

1) It opens in a window not full screen, I am sure this has to do with the folder play back and will be fixed
2) The screen that pops up showing your drive before starting a movie has to go. Just a black screen like in TMT3 way better, or give us an option to change this.
3) I really prefer the old menu system for changing setting vrs the media center style menu, but I can live with it.
4) I am not sure on this but I have the "info" button on my Harmony programmed to pull up the settings menu in TMT. Work fine in 3 but in 5 the menu's would pop up for a second and then go away. I could right click with mouse and they were fine. I have not tried to repeat this.
5)SimHD, I played with it some but really couldn't tell much of a difference on DVD's, tried setting to all extremes. Tried the split screen, but which side is before and which is after, they are no labeled.

I am sure all issues will be resolved but I will stick with TMT3 for now. Biggest reason is all of my content is folder play back.
post #383 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered TMT5 last week, (updating from PowerDVD v7) and have used it a couple of times so far. I have similar requests to the others in this thread and a couple of questions, as I am not entirely happy with TMT5 yet. My needs are pretty simple, pop in a blu-ray and the movie should just launch, but that goal is not met yet. For a program aimed at HTPC use, there are some fairly basic features missing (eg. command line parameters, starting full screen).

1) TMT5 should have the option to open full screen not a window
2) Please have the option to remove the initial screen that shows the drives and last played. A blank screen would be better.
3) On some discs the mouse won't disappear. I have not detected a pattern, it seems to be random (and not at chapter changes either), and sometimes the mouse will disappear then reappear.
4) On one disk I got a message that the disk does not support windows mouse and now TMT displays an applet on the screen to do cursor movement. I have not been able to work out how to remove this option, as it comes up on all my disks now and I have to manually click exit on the applet to remove it
5) I can't pass any command line parameters to TMT so to tell it to start playing automatically. I can't locate any help about command line parameters. All I want to do is pass it the disk drive name and have it play that name after TMT has started. If TMT does not accept command line parameters, how can I get it to autostart (and in full screen)?
6) I can't get reclock to work correctly. The audio lags, sometimes up to a second. Ideally I don't want reclock to re-sample or stretch the audio to ensure I can maintain audio quality, however with both re-sampling & no resampling I get an audio lag. This is probably a reclock issue or my fault with not configuring reclock correctly, but I thought I'd mention it here.
7) There is no feature to auto-switch refresh rates, and for a program aimed at HTPCs this is an obvious feature.
8) Is there a way to show the volume level when changing the volume? Power DVD does this and its a useful facility when using a remote.

As I use analog audio output from the soundcard, I want to use reclock to trick TMT into not downsampling the audio, which is documented in the TMT3 thread as requiring a video card that does audio over HDMI. Does anyone know the minimum specification video card that this trick will work on, and if an AMD or Nvidia card is better for this?
post #384 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSoft_Jason View Post

It's a real problem. We're trying to track it down. If you have time, please take a moment to report your specific environment and how the problem manifests to customer service.

I've seen some cases where the mouse pointer spontaneously displays itself in the middle of playback, and I'm not sure of the conditions triggering it.

On a tangent, when I toggle between full-screen and windowed mode with the "z" key, it does not auto-hide the mouse pointer. If I toggle by double clicking the mouse, it does auto-hide after a second.

Bazinga!

post #385 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

5) I can't pass any command line parameters to TMT so to tell it to start playing automatically. I can't locate any help about command line parameters. All I want to do is pass it the disk drive name and have it play that name after TMT has started. If TMT does not accept command line parameters, how can I get it to autostart (and in full screen)?

Don't know about the rest, but you can pass the folder as a command line parameter and it will start playing the media. This works for both DVD and blu-ray ripped to folders. However, TMT5 can't be running when you run try this.

Example:
"C:\\Program Files\\ArcSoft\\TotalMedia Theatre 5\\uTotalMediaTheatre5.exe" M:\\DVD\\300 (in my case 300 has VIDEO_TS folder, haven't tried without)
"C:\\Program Files\\ArcSoft\\TotalMedia Theatre 5\\uTotalMediaTheatre5.exe" M:\\BluRay\\300 (BDMV folder within 300 folder).

The interesting thing is that there is a service that runs with TMT5, but no details have been made available to the end-user: http://www.arcsoft.com/en/forum/foru...opy-protection. This seems like the best way to control TMT5, so please post there to show arcsoft how many users are interested in this....

Brett
post #386 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stottle View Post

This seems like the best way to control TMT5, so please post there to show arcsoft how many users are interested in this....

Brett

I don't know why people are asking for an API for this. All it takes is someone with an Android phone, Wireshark and an hour of free time to provide everything a developer would need to roll their own API.
post #387 of 3711 Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I don't know why people are asking for an API for this. All it takes is someone with an Android phone, Wireshark and an hour of free time to provide everything a developer would need to roll their own API.

I can think of at least several reasons:

1) Nobody with an Android phone has gotten around to it and I don't think any of us are interested in buying one of those phones just for this purpose.

2) Such an exercise may miss some features that are in the protocol that might be useful. Who (other than ArcSoft) knows if the Android app is utilizing the entire protocol?

3) It should be pretty easy for ArcSoft to post the protocol if they're willing to do so.
post #388 of 3711 Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

2) Such an exercise may miss some features that are in the protocol that might be useful. Who (other than ArcSoft) knows if the Android app is utilizing the entire protocol?

I would be suprised if they added more functionality than they are utilizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

3) It should be pretty easy for ArcSoft to post the protocol if they're willing to do so.

I believe a user supplied API would be more likely to happen. (Flashes back to users asking for a way to save codec settings.)
I do hope I'm wrong though.
post #389 of 3711 Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a couple of questions regarding 3D Bluray playback:
  1. The requirements chart under "BD3D Playback" states "ATI HD5000 series and above" but the "ATI Graphics Card" chart only shows the 6xxx series as BD3D capable. Is BD3D playback achievable with the 5xxx series?
  2. Is BD3D playback supported with a dual projector polarized configuration?
post #390 of 3711 Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I have a couple of questions regarding 3D Bluray playback:
  1. The requirements chart under "BD3D Playback" states "ATI HD5000 series and above" but the "ATI Graphics Card" chart only shows the 6xxx series as BD3D capable. Is BD3D playback achievable with the 5xxx series?
  2. Is BD3D playback supported with a dual projector polarized configuration?

I can only answer number 1. The 5xxx cards don't support full 3D playback. They use the red/blue glasses thing for a very poor 3D affect. For true 1.4 supported 3D, you need a 6xxx or nVidia card.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page