post #31 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSoft_Jason View Post

I don't think it's happening this time (confirm with ASUS before accepting my word as gospel) but you'll still be eligible for the upgrade pricing if I'm right.

Don't you think they'll offer TMT5 some time after release like TMT3 but without MCE plug in?

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yes, but for just the BD playback portion of the HTPC, you are paying $200+ ($100 drive + $100 software) just to get the equivalent of a standalone that's half the price. That was the point that tmservo was making. And with a standalone, you don't need to purchase a new version of the software (firmware) to fix issues.

This is true and cannot argue with you there. For me, the additional cost of being able to playback BDs on my htpc is worth it due to the htpc's flexibility.

My main htpc doesn't even have an optical drive. I extract my BDs to an external drive for playback on my htpc. I've gotten used to having movies load in seconds vs minutes on my older Samsung standalone player.
post #33 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So am I. It would just be nice to see the playing field leveled as far as price is concerned.

I'd like to see native BD playback in Win 8. That would level the playing field. No doubt that Cyberlink, Corel, and Arcsoft would hate to see that happen but many WMC users would rejoice.

Will MS ever support the winning side when they were on the losing side though? I hope they can swallow their pride and move forward. imo, it would help to sell a lot of copies of Windows.
post #34 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain View Post

I'd like to see native BD playback in Win 8. That would level the playing field. No doubt that Cyberlink, Corel, and Arcsoft would hate to see that happen but many WMC users would rejoice.

Will MS ever support the winning side when they were on the losing side though? I hope they can swallow their pride and move forward. imo, it would help to sell a lot of copies of Windows.

I'm not sure it will happen. Look how long it took to support DVDs natively. I suspect that third party software will be required for quite some time and the best we can hope for is better integration. ArcSoft is definitely leading on that front but there are improvements that can be made.

@Jason: I sincerely hope that some of profits from TMT sales are going towards a huge bonus for you this year. God (and ArcSoft customers) know you deserve one.
post #35 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure it will happen. Look how long it took to support DVDs natively. I suspect that third party software will be required for quite some time and the best we can hope for is better integration. ArcSoft is definitely leading on that front but there are improvements that can be made.
MS will support BD eventually. It's inevitable. They already have everything in place except for the native codecs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that somewhere within the bowels of the MS gorilla those native codecs are already floating about. I'd be more surprised if they weren't already developed.

For the time being though I'm really looking forward to TMT5.

Quote:
@Jason: I sincerely hope that some of profits from TMT sales are going towards a huge bonus for you this year. God (and ArcSoft customers) know you deserve one.
:thumbsup;
post #36 of 3674 Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
MS will support BD eventually. It's inevitable. They already have everything in place except for the native codecs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that somewhere within the bowels of the MS gorilla those native codecs are already floating about. I'd be more surprised if they weren't already developed.

For the time being though I'm really looking forward to TMT5.

:thumbsup;
I actually meant "I'm not sure it will happen in Windows 8". Of course that depends on how long it takes them to get Windows 8 RTM. They will support it eventually as you said, but I wouldn't expect it soon.
post #37 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 03:12 AM

Any word on removal of HDDVD-support? I know it's not "officially" supported so I guess there would be no reason to remove it?

Thanks
UD
post #38 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm...I'll have to visit in here more frequently for a bit. Has anyone decided just how soon "coming soon" actually is?

Regards,
Paul
post #39 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
tempted with TMT - but am I right it won't auto-switch my graphics card refresh rate ? ie to 24p for Blurays, 50/60hz for DVDs etc ?

I think it doesn't ? but freeware like XBMC can ?

I was impressed with the demo of TMT but I couldn't find a way to switch frequency
post #40 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:

The effects of the lawsuit over integrating a web browser into their OS just finished...and you expect them to jump right in and integrate a BR player?

You can thank the world governments for making MS a bit gunshy on giving us increased functionality.
post #41 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:

:clap:
post #42 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDecoded View Post

Any word on removal of HDDVD-support? I know it's not "officially" supported so I guess there would be no reason to remove it?

Thanks
UD

I heard no gains, no losses. Crossing all digits.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #43 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post
The effects of the lawsuit over integrating a web browser into their OS just finished...and you expect them to jump right in and integrate a BR player?
MS should be able to include defacto media playback standards in their OS and Blu-ray has become such a standard. It may not happen in Win 8 but we will see it eventually.

Quote:
You can thank the world governments for making MS a bit gunshy on giving us increased functionality.
To dodge responsibility for any political or nationalistic turn in this thread I will completely avoid any relevant response to that statement.
post #44 of 3674 Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Given we're going into 2011 and they are also skipping version 4, will this be an x64 application or at least have an x64 version?
post #45 of 3674 Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:

MS should be able to include defacto media playback standards in their OS and Blu-ray has become such a standard. It may not happen in Win 8 but we will see it eventually.

I agree, it will eventually happen, just like with DVDs. Just not in 7 or in 8. Maybe 9.
post #46 of 3674 Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I agree, it will eventually happen, just like with DVDs. Just not in 7 or in 8. Maybe 9.

Yeah, and just like with DVDs by the time they support it people stop caring about it.

I.e. when there is native Blu-ray support in Windows, we'll probably all be talking about playing back UV-ray discs with 2160p, lol.
post #47 of 3674 Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Yeah, and just like with DVDs by the time they support it people stop caring about it.

I.e. when there is native Blu-ray support in Windows, we'll probably all be talking about playing back UV-ray discs with 2160p, lol.

And we'll be using TMT X Adamantium or PowerDVD 30 Mark V to play that format; both available with 4D plug-ins, of course.
post #48 of 3674 Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

I dont know about 2160... but I am willing to bet the next format will be 4k x 2k 3D at a minimum.. that looks to be next on the horizon.

"The satisfaction of a great price will be overshadowed by the bitterness of poor quality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear
You still measure your TV in "inches"? Thats so cute! :D
post #49 of 3674 Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Don't you think they'll offer TMT5 some time after release like TMT3 but without MCE plug in?

It's certainly possible, but I just don't know and I'd guess otherwise. Without getting too far into the minutia of the OEM business, there were some forces at play that made that free upgrade a good deal for everyone but the same may not be true this time around.

Quote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. ArcSoft has been a pretty great place to work for a long time and working on something technically interesting like TMT has been a lot of fun despite the occasional challenges and frustrations. I hope everyone likes TMT5. Right now in crunch time it's hard to look past the compromises and imperfections but the pre-release feedback from various sources has been good. So I'm cautiously optimistic. Time will tell.
post #50 of 3674 Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm most interested in timeframe on this product; any ETAs on when we think this may happen? Like this year? Next year? If it's sometime away or relatively close? (Never mind, checks the links, looks like in the next month? Wow. OK.)

Next on my list is as above: 64bit support. That's an imperative.
post #51 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM

post #52 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Pro-Tip for European people that want to buy it: Switch the currency to US-Dollar, it appears to be the exact same number, but 1$ is cheaper then 1€

This is assuming you don't pay extra fees for paying in Dollars with your Bank or whatever.

I just upgraded, going to test it tonight, and report back
Also just grabbed the Android remote thingy, lets see if thats usable
post #53 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 AM

I've had a look but haven't been able to find out whether you'll be able to play mkv's via the media center plugin in this version, or is file playback still only possible in the stand alone version?
post #54 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDecoded View Post

Thanks
UD

Won't start any HDDVD for me but lucky to find a workaround. I have to play a BD folder first then HDDVD disc or folder will play afterward. What can I say.....
post #55 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just purchased the upgrade as well, will install tonight. I won't post it here but a web search unearthed a discount code that gave me an additional $11 discount.
post #56 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 AM

Use coupon code ARC404P20 to get 20% off the upgrade or the regular price
post #57 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just installed it - just as a test because I am at work - on my Thinkpad running Windows 7 64-bit with Intel G31 graphics.

The standalone player won't even start. No splash screen, nothing at all. The integrated 7MC player just puts up a vacant blue screen.

Not too encouraging.
post #58 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

I test and works with HDDVD folder only. It won't playback any physical HDDVD movies with or without AnydvdHD. Hope it is just a bug and arcsoft are willing to fix.

Yea, probably a bug...

If you look in the feature comparison page, it says disc support for HD-DVD is available.

I bought an upgrade from TME2 as well, with a coupon...

Sweeeet...

Now getting the urge to upgrade to 3D...

Meaning TV, AVR and GPU will all have to be replaced... bah...
post #59 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

Yea, probably a bug...

If you look in the feature comparison page, it says disc support for HD-DVD is available.

I should have done more test before posting. In fact no HDDVD works either Disc or Folder unless I start playing a Bluray first. Very strange indeed.
post #60 of 3674 Old 11-17-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesy68 View Post

looks like tmt 5 is out
http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/softwar...ductCode=TMT5P

Out already?!? So I'm guessing there go my hopes of an x64 player eh?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page