AVS Forum banner

TotalMedia Theatre 5

493K views 4K replies 430 participants last post by  Zhorik 
#1 ·
#578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp /forum/post/19688606

So is a 5670 too weak for TMT5? Cos my movies (video-wise) kind of stutter and/or randomly lag with this player but I have no such issues with TMT3.

I actually noticed the same thing tonight while watching Salt (BD) on my 5670. It was like it was performing a slow layer change on a DVD. I wasn't sure what was causing it and I'll have to do some real testing before I can conclude that it is actually TMT5.

#579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/19543803

I confess to not reading every post, but does version 5 support HD DVD?

I am having a lot of problems with this, TMT5 absolutely refuses to play HD DVDs. The standalone player will almost always screw up the HDCP chain so my processor mutes the video and says "need HDCP monitor" (this also happens with blu-rays whenever I go back into TMT to re-start play of the same disc). Cycling the inputs on the processor will make the picture come back. I know this is a TMT problem (never happens with PDVD or WinDVD) and it was the same in TMT3.

The standalone player will then show video but there is no audio regardless of audio setting or stream selection from the disc.

The MC integrated player simply hangs whenever I try to play a HD DVD. Just sits there forever on the drive selection screen and I have to exit out of 7MC.

Other than the HDCP issue, Blu-ray playback works fine.

My system is simple, Win 7 32-bit, ATI 5670, Catalyst 10.10e drivers and corresponding ATI HDMI audio driver set to 5.1.

TMT is set to output PCM uncompressed audio as my pre/pro is HDMI 1.1 only.

What did you guys do to get HD DVD playback working?

#580 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19688765

I actually noticed the same thing tonight while watching Salt (BD) on my 5670. It was like it was performing a slow layer change on a DVD. I wasn't sure what was causing it and I'll have to do some real testing before I can conclude that it is actually TMT5.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Salt is....VC1?

#581 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel /forum/post/19688056

I am trying to decide between the 430 and the 450. Is there any difference in PQ if the application is limited to HTPC duties with no gaming?

The difference is mainly in gaming performance. For a dedicated HTPC, I think the 430 is a better choice.

#582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/19690587

The difference is mainly in gaming performance. For a dedicated HTPC, I think the 430 is a better choice.

But isn't there an issue with interlaced content on the 430 or did I misunderstand?

#584 ·
#585 ·
I'm having problems with TMT5 and 3D movies (iso). Everytime I play a 3D movie using Media Browser, my 3DTV (Samsung Series 8) does not recognize the movie as 3D. But if I mount the ISO, then launch TMT5 the 3DTV recognizes it automatically as a 3D movie and will prompt me to turn on my 3D glasses. How do I make this work with Media Browser?

#586 ·
Hopefully Acrsoft fixes the lack of exit from the MCE player to MCE with the MCE remote. I setup everything else working fine except for that. I won't pay for the upgrade until they get it fixed. I am amazed how an issue like this can be spotted which likely is easy to fix yet it takes them months to fix it. Its a show stopper for me. The full screen fix with the mce player maximied shortcut link as the Media Browser player worked but of course Acrsoft should get on that right away as well.

By the way if you have problems getting video to play in TMT5 MCE try switching the sound to PCM option in the MCE Player options. It fixed all my video playing problems. I only use my TV speakers so perhaps that is why.

#587 ·
So i used the 260.99 nvidia driver, set up TMT5 to 3D Ready DLP HDTVs, set the TV to Side by side and also tried top / bottom.

But it looks strange in both ways like something is not right with a 3D setting.

In side by side one eye sees one side of the menu and the other sees the other side, when looking at the menu of Resident evil

In top / bottom one eye sees the menu but not very sharp and the other sees the background but the text is very unclear and tings are floating together.

I tried the swap images in TMT5 menu without any change.

What is wrong?

Here is my complete setup:

Asus P6T SE

I7 950

6Gb DDr3 1333 mhz

Nvidia 460 260.99 driver

Mymovies 3.18

TMT5

Samsung 50" 3D Plasma PS50C685

#589 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL /forum/post/19690598

But isn't there an issue with interlaced content on the 430 or did I misunderstand?

I haven't noticed any issues with interlaced content that aren't also present on the 450 (don't take that the wrong way, nothing is perfect). Just finished scoring it for HQV-HD, actually did a few points better than the 450 (which is really weird).

#590 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/19692036

I haven't noticed any issues with interlaced content that aren't also present on the 450 (don't take that the wrong way, nothing is perfect). Just finished scoring it for HQV-HD, actually did a few points better than the 450 (which is really weird).

That is weird indeed. And no, I fully understand that every card has its issues.
I've learned to work around a couple on the 450 already. So if the interlaced content plays the same or slightly better on the 430, then yea, that makes a great little HTPC card. In my case I didn't want to wait and I do casual gaming on that machine, so, I wanted the 450 anyway.

#591 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL /forum/post/19692055

That is weird indeed. And no, I fully understand that every card has its issues.
I've learned to work around a couple on the 450 already. So if the interlaced content plays the same or slightly better on the 430, then yea, that makes a great little HTPC card. In my case I didn't want to wait and I do casual gaming on that machine, so, I wanted the 450 anyway.

If you game the 450 is a much better choice, the 430 is very limited for modern games.

Also in the weird column; I can get HDMI 1.4 (3D) to the display and 1.3 to the AVR on the same box, with the same driver, from the 430 where it wouldn't work with the 450.

#592 ·
 Anand marked down the 430. Although that was a month ago, the certified driver has not changed

#593 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant /forum/post/19692127

If you game the 450 is a much better choice, the 430 is very limited for modern games.

Also in the weird column; I can get HDMI 1.4 (3D) to the display and 1.3 to the AVR on the same box, with the same driver, from the 430 where it wouldn't work with the 450.

That's really messed up. I thought that functionality was broken in the latest driver? Yet it works for the 430? Go nVidia.

#594 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 /forum/post/19692144

Anand marked down the 430. Although that was a month ago, the certified driver has not changed

Ganesh was the one that mentioned the interlaced content problem on the 430, so, that's why I brought it up. But, I honestly don't know a lot about the differences in these cards yet. I know enough to get mine setup and mostly working well. That's about it.

#595 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby /forum/post/19689514

What did you guys do to get HD DVD playback working?

I had one system that just choked on Aero with HD-DVD. Wouldn't play, wouldn't switch to Windows Basic. I did the switch manually from Personalize before launching TMT (could probably case-by-case it through a shortcut if you're using 3rd party library) and it has been fine since.

#596 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19688765

5xxx series is plenty of power. Even the 54xx.

The comment about layer change reminds me of a bug we're working on that might apply. There's a problem at the branch point of dynamically branching discs vs those with the whole movie in a single m2ts. If it's one of those, that could be the problem. (It affects TMT3 as well, but TMT3 seems much more contained with an instant hitch and recovery while TMT5 can get all out of whack. Pardon the "technical"
terminology--still researching the particulars.)

#597 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSoft_Jason /forum/post/19692237

5xxx series is plenty of power. Even the 54xx.

The comment about layer change reminds me of a bug we're working on that might apply. There's a problem at the branch point of dynamically branching discs vs those with the whole movie in a single m2ts. If it's one of those, that could be the problem. (It affects TMT3 as well, but TMT3 seems much more contained with an instant hitch and recovery while TMT5 can get all out of whack. Pardon the "technical"
terminology--still researching the particulars.)

Oh God no. Please don't tell me there are seamless branching bugs. Those can be extremely nasty to find/fix. Ask the MPC-HC people about that. Of course, your engineers should be getting some official support from the people who designed the spec, so, maybe it won't be so bad for you guys.
But seamless branching can be nasty.

As a test, Vladd, can you make a movie only copy of Salt and see if that has the same problem?

#598 ·
Thanks Jason, that explanation makes sense since the Salt disc I was using was the one with the theatrical release + 2 different extended versions. So seamless branching could definitely play a part.

The disc was the Blockbuster rental version, I don't know if the retail version is the same.

Quote:
As a test, Vladd, can you make a movie only copy of Salt and see if that has the same problem?

I'll try a few tests, movie only, combine into one m2ts, etc. I have the unlimited rentals package so I can hold on the the disc for a few days to test.

#599 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19692456

Thanks Jason, that explanation makes sense since the Salt disc I was using was the one with the theatrical release + 2 different extended versions. So seamless branching could definitely play a part.

The disc was the Blockbuster rental version, I don't know if the retail version is the same.

I'll try a few tests, movie only, combine into one m2ts, etc. I have the unlimited rentals package so I can hold on the the disc for a few days to test.

I've got the retail disc coming tomorrow so I can look at it then, as well.

#601 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19692472

If it's the same, let me know and I'll just return the rental and purchase a copy.

It should be. They claim they have the same 3 versions on it, so, I'm guessing it's the same disc. And how are you going to handle Cinavia?
ROFLMAO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.