Advertisement

post #992 of 3674 Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

That's everyone's hope. That some day they add the ability to select multiple audio streams and PGS subtitles in an MKV container. We'll see how that goes, but for now, yea, it's not a very useful MKV playback scenario. I use MPC-HC myself.

yeah, i do use that as well as a default player for my movies and its ability of shaders combine is what i love indeed. you are right unfortunately at this moment tm 5 is not useful for mkv, but lets hope some day we'd say differently
post #993 of 3674 Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gugman View Post

yeah, i do use that as well as a default player for my movies and its ability of shaders combine is what i love indeed. you are right unfortunately at this moment tm 5 is not useful for mkv, but lets hope some day we'd say differently

I hope so cause otherwise TMT5 is my favorite player in every regard. If it could catch up to the open source solutions that are out there now, we'd all be a lot better off.
post #994 of 3674 Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaevans View Post

Hi,

Just doing some research for my first HTPC build, and I have a couple of questions related to TotalMedia Theatre 5 that I hope you can help me with.

Firstly, and I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but how does the Blu-ray picture quality of a HTPC runnning TotalMedia Theatre 5 compare to a dedicated Blu-ray player?

Secondly, I planning to use XBMC as the front-end for my HTPC and understand XBMC can play a ripped Blu-ray from the file structure. However, I believe that on its own, XBMC does not support menus, bit-streaming of HD audio and playback direct from the Blu-ray disc or a ripped ISO. But are there any other benefit with going for TotalMedia Theatre 5 over and above the native XBMC e.g. picture qulaity?

Thirdly, how seamlessly can TotalMedia Theatre 5 be integrated for the playback of Blu-ray discs or ISO rips?

Finally, do I need a utility like AnyDVD HD to turn my HTPC into a multi-region Blu-ray player?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Thanks
James

James, I have used TMT 3 with Anydvd HD for few years to back up my BD collection to hard drive and via Asus HDAV 1.3 audio card able to stream the lossless audio to my receiver. Based on my opinion, you can't tell the difference in video/audio quality compared to a stand alone BD player so I sold all my players and just use HTPC only.
Over the last 2 years, I changed my video card to ATI 5670, started using powerdvd 10 and removed Asus sound card for two reasons.
1) Both power dvd 10 and TMT 3/5 support bitstreaming lossless via 5670.
2) 5670 can send HDMI audio to my receiver and video from DVI to my projector which Asus card can't do as it mixes both.
3) Only Power dvd 10 can play isolated M2TS folder containing the main movie/lossless audio flawlessly! (Now I have a single M2TS file listed under movie name instead of a hundred folders created by back up from Anydvd/ saves about 10-15gb space each movie).
TMT 5 can also play that file, but can't get bitstreaming of lossless audio/only PCM -still sounds good!

So I use both P-DVD 10 and TMT 5. Cons/benefits of both;

1) Only TMT 5 can resume play where you stopped from a M2TS blu ray folder. It works so well, I use it very often! No existing stand alone BD players can do that for all the movies. I don't know how TMT 5 achieved it.

2) Pdvd 10 has a setting which says "resume playback" but nothing happens! The whole movie starts from the beginning.

3) TMT 5 latest version not supporting "folder" playback for some reason. May be future updates will fix this issue. This used to be their biggest strength in the past.

4) Only TMT 5 supports SRT subtitles with M2TS movies.

Peter
post #995 of 3674 Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillybacon View Post

jason -

i'm wondering why the ability to launch an index.bdmv file was not included in TMT5 - but was in TMT3....i would use that as my launch file to open a disc folder from my movie organizer if i wanted to watch a bd off my hdd in its entirety - is there some other way to launch an entire disc folder from one file in TMT5? i really miss this feature and hate to have to still use TMT3 just for this reason

I too used to launch TMT3 by just associating the index.bdmv file (from a folder based rip) with TMT then running it. This no longer works with TMT5, so:

** Any ideas if you can still launch Folder Based playback to TMT5 from a single file?

Thanks
Nathan
post #996 of 3674 Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrudy View Post

James, I have used TMT 3 with Anydvd HD for few years to back up my BD collection to hard drive and via Asus HDAV 1.3 audio card able to stream the lossless audio to my receiver. Based on my opinion, you can't tell the difference in video/audio quality compared to a stand alone BD player so I sold all my players and just use HTPC only.
Over the last 2 years, I changed my video card to ATI 5670, started using powerdvd 10 and removed Asus sound card for two reasons.
1) Both power dvd 10 and TMT 3/5 support bitstreaming lossless via 5670.
2) 5670 can send HDMI audio to my receiver and video from DVI to my projector which Asus card can't do as it mixes both.
3) Only Power dvd 10 can play isolated M2TS folder containing the main movie/lossless audio flawlessly! (Now I have a single M2TS file listed under movie name instead of hundred folders created by back up from Anydvd).
TMT 5 can also play that file but I can't get bitstreaming of lossless audio/only PCM-still good!

1) Only TMT 5 can resume play where you stopped from a M2TS blu ray folder. It works so well, I use it very often! No existing stand alone BD players can do that for all the movies. I don't know how TMT 5 achieved it.

2) Pdvd 10 has a setting which says "resume playback" but nothing happens! The whole movie starts from the beginning.

3)TMT 5 latest version not supporting "folder" playback for some reason. May be future updates will fix this issue. This used to be their biggest strength in the past.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the feedback, especiacly on the image quality as that was my major concern.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to go down the HTPC route, just going to wait for the sandy bridge motherbaords to be fixed and Intel to release the Core i3-2105 chip with HD3000 graphics.

Best wishes
James
post #997 of 3674 Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You don't have to mix the sound with Xonar sound cards. You can send the video to one device and the hdmi output from the Xonar to another device.

Quote:

3) TMT 5 latest version not supporting "folder" playback for some reason. May be future updates will fix this issue. This used to be their biggest strength in the past.

This was fixed as of version 5.1.86, the first patch which was released quite a while ago.
post #998 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Usually this is because that particular BD doesn't allow it (which is the majority of them). I find that only earlier BD releases (typically those with uncompressed LPCM tracks for example) seem to allow this. However I'm not sure if/how this prohibition carries over when you rip the disc?
post #999 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Does anyone know if TMT5 plays Iso BD RIPS?

Thanks
post #1000 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, as long as you mount the ISO with something like Virtual CloneDrive.
post #1001 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post

Does anyone know if TMT5 plays Iso BD RIPS?

Not directly, but it will once mounted using a tool like Virtual Clone Drive.
post #1002 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Certainly.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #1003 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Not directly, but it will once mounted using a tool like Virtual Clone Drive.

OK THanks. SO everytime i want to watch an ISO I have to mount with virtual CDrom and assign a drive letter?

DO i have to do this to every movie i want to watch?

Thanks
post #1004 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post

OK THanks. SO everytime i want to watch an ISO I have to mount with virtual CDrom and assign a drive letter?

DO i have to do this to every movie i want to watch?

Thanks

When VCD is installed it grabs a drive letter so that will be static.

Beyond that how it works is up to you. There are tools to automate the process (MountImage, MediaBrowser, MM, etc) inside of 7MC, or something like IsoBrowser (part of SageTVLauncher) for outside, or you can do it manually too.
post #1005 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Is there a way to modify MyMovies or TMT3/TMT5 so that when you launch a movie out of MyMovies Media Center plugin, it actually uses 12noon Display Changer to set the screen refresh rate to 24Hz before launching TMT?

http://www.12noon.com/displaychanger.htm

The manual refresh rate changing (Nvidia) is really cramping the HTPC's style...

Thanks in advance.
post #1006 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnito View Post

Is there a way to modify MyMovies or TMT3/TMT5 so that when you launch a movie out of MyMovies Media Center plugin, it actually uses 12noon Display Changer to set the screen refresh rate to 24Hz before launching TMT?

The manual refresh rate changing (Nvidia) is really cramping the HTPC's style...

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried it, but it looks like it should work. I am going to give it a try tonight with Media Browser and TMT 5.
post #1007 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Usually this is because that particular BD doesn't allow it (which is the majority of them). I find that only earlier BD releases (typically those with uncompressed LPCM tracks for example) seem to allow this. However I'm not sure if/how this prohibition carries over when you rip the disc?

Basically, if the disc uses Java, then the disc controls the options that are available and not PDVD. Most discs now use Java, hence the problem. Some Java discs do offer their own resume option (Avatar springs to mind) but then it isn't possible to disable it!
post #1008 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Has anyone tried using an AMD Zacate board and was able to get sound to bitstream out? All I get is DD/DTS, lossless does not work.
post #1009 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Has anyone tried using an AMD Zacate board and was able to get sound to bitstream out? All I get is DD/DTS, lossless does not work.

Did you try it with 11.2?

post #1010 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter

Peter,

What version of TMT5 has broken folder playback?

5.0.1.87 plays folder rips just fine for me (BD and DVD). I do see a warning about the disc not having a valid online certification in the stand alone player but if I click cancel the movie plays.

Wo0zy
post #1011 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Did you try it with 11.2?

11.2 doesn't have support for the APU platform. Only the drivers on the CD from the manufacturer do.
post #1012 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

11.2 doesn't have support for the APU platform. Only the drivers on the CD from the manufacturer do.

Yes I just looked at that. Between Gigabyte, Asus, and ASRock, only ASRock seems to support HD Audio.

post #1013 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

oh, really? I missed that in the specs. Although, that doesn't make sense. They are all the same APU. Realtek is only used for optical or analog.
post #1014 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Peter,

What version of TMT5 has broken folder playback?

5.0.1.87 plays folder rips just fine for me (BD and DVD). I do see a warning about the disc not having a valid online certification in the stand alone player but if I click cancel the movie plays.

Wo0zy

The release version, 5.0.1.80 does. The first patch, 5.0.1.85 fixes it.
post #1015 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Is anyone still having issues with the AMD 5xxx series Realtek driver and TMT 5? I know there were issues with TMT 3, but I haven't seen much about it for 5. Anyhow, I got tired of some of the issues with the ATI HDMI driver, so I tried the Realtek 2.55 driver, and to my surprise it played my Blu Ray movie fine in TMT 5.0.1.87. One movie is hardly a thorough test which is why I am asking. Still, it is a promising start for me.
post #1016 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

oh, really? I missed that in the specs. Although, that doesn't make sense. They are all the same APU. Realtek is only used for optical or analog.

ASRock specifically states HD audio and Gigabyte states 2 channel pcm. ASUS was in German but didn't see any TrueHD/DTS MA like with ASRock. MSI looks like lpcm.

post #1017 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnito View Post

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post

I haven't tried it, but it looks like it should work. I am going to give it a try tonight with Media Browser and TMT 5.

Great, please let me know. I'm not sure about Media Browser, but in MyMovies you pick the External BD Player from a drop down list as opposed to being able to type in a path to an executable (which would support what I'm trying to do). If there's a way to do it, I don't know.
post #1018 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

From Settings, you should be able to adjust this from Prompt to Always Reject/Accept as desired so you don't have to deal with the popup.
post #1019 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's the issue. The hdmi driver available at the ASRock site is the Realtek 2.55 and TMT does not support Realtek. For the moment this should work with WinDvd2010. Maybe PDVD as it comes with some version.

post #1020 of 3674 Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Or use ReClock with TMT and the Realtek driver will work.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page