AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
... I have to add MyMovies to the list.

While I was able to get MyMovies3 to recognize and launch TMT5 via the Externalplayer.xml, I have been only to able to get a windowed TMT5. I am not sure which party, TMT5 or MM3, has to adjust, but this is not a viable combo as it stands right now.

MM3 and TMT3 on the other works flawlessly for me.

____
Axel
TMT5 needs to fix the windowed thing. That's a common complaint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT View Post

So,the inevitable question how does TMT5 stack up against the opposition PWRDVD 10?

I would say TMT5 still has to heal from it's teething problems for now...

In a few months we will be able to tell...

I was watching a BR iso with TMT5 today and I noticed that there was no sound (I was bitstreaming) anymore after rewinding, skipping a chapter or continuing play back after a pause.
After the third time of losing audio, I fired up PDVD10 and enjoyed an error free playback...

For now I would keep fingers crossed and see how things pan out with TMT5.
post #183 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

... I have to add MyMovies to the list.

While I was able to get MyMovies3 to recognize and launch TMT5 via the Externalplayer.xml, I have been only to able to get a windowed TMT5. I am not sure which party, TMT5 or MM3, has to adjust, but this is not a viable combo as it stands right now.

MM3 and TMT3 on the other works flawlessly for me.

____
Axel

Agreed - I purchased TMT5 and cannot use it because of the incompatibility with MM3 - seems a bit murky as to who is at fault, but at this point it was a wasted $50....
post #184 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got the new 3-disc set of Avatar and it unfortunately stutters on TMT5. Tried disabling Aero but that was no better. I guess it already needs an update.

EDIT: Curiously, TMT3 plays the movie with zero issues.
post #185 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Liked: 10
Well, I will be sticking with TMT3 for now and save my upgrade money for when TMT5 is in full form. It seems like it is never worth upgrading a HTPC as soon as something new comes out because so much software is linked together to provide a total solution for HD Media.
post #186 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
First thoughts (trial version):

Main player:

New UI/Features are nice if you plan on using TMT as your media hub/manager or if you are into eye candy. I'm not, so moving along...

MCE Player:

I absolutely HATE the changes to this player. I cannot stand the WMC UI/Navigation which is one of the main reasons I don't use WMC. If you like the WMC UI, you will like the the new TMT MCE player.

I prefered the stripped down UI of the old player. It could be launched from practically any application and fit in. Right Clicking or pressing the "Info" button on the remote would bring up a small but sufficient menu with quick access to the menu option you wanted. Now, it brings up an overlay that covers half the screen.

The issue of uMCEPlayer5 and MM3 rests squarely on the shoulders of ArcSoft. uMCEPlayer5 will not accept command line parameters to launch a movie from a specified drive or folder. It will always automatically play the first optical drive that contains a DVD/BD. There's not much MM can do about it.

3D:

Not tested due to lack of hardware.

Conclusions:

Since I only used TMT for BD and HD DVD playback and I only used the MCE player (until they broke the command line in TMT3), this new version offers nothing for me and is actually a step backwards. As with PDVD 10, I'm going to pass.
post #187 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys do know they put out a hotfix for some of the MCE issues, right? I don't know if it fixes the command line issue with MM3, but, it's worth checking out. As this is an initial release, I'm not sure why people are expecting perfection given that *NO COMPANY* that has a player has ever released a flawless first new major version. PDVD10 had issues. PDVD9 had issues. TMT2 had issues. TMT3 had MANY issues. All improve over time. I'm not saying that TMT5 is for everyone, but, it's as though people forget that updates get released to fix problems. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular, and I already knew Vladd's opinion anyway. I can completely respect it. But, this is not the final release of TMT5. It's the first. And it's to be expected that there's going to be issues. Anyway, just my opinion. For me personally TMT5 is a step up, but, then I don't use the MCE interface for it. Yet.
post #188 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Is anyone else getting a black screen when hitting stop (regular player, not in MCE)? I hit stop and get a black screen...then when I hit Exit (Ctrl-X) The UI appears for a quick second, then the program shuts down. NV GT430 260.99 drivers.

Edit: After further testing, I had Disable Aero unchecked (Aero works fine in TMT3)...after checking Disable Aero, the UI appears after hitting stop.

Edit II: New problem introduced now...the Aero disable process takes focus away from TMT and puts it on the Windows Task Bar. No way to clear the task bar away (and get focus back on TMT so the remote works) without using the mouse. Needs work. I'll go back to using Aero...or TMT 3

Last one I hope: Setting Always On Top gets rid of the task bar, but it still doesn't have focus...you still need to click somewhere on the screen, with the mouse, for the remote to work.

P
post #189 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post

You guys do know they put out a hotfix for some of the MCE issues, right?

No I didn't. I'll look at that. And in my defense, I did say that it was my "first thoughts"
post #190 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

No I didn't. I'll look at that. And in my defense, I did say that it was my "first thoughts"

I didn't have a problem with your thoughts. Ok, ok, I was giving you a hard time. I admit it. LOL! Seriously, though, I do get that TMT5 is not going to be for everyone, and that with this first version there's DEFINITELY going to be (already are) problems. It's just not been vetted by the entire user base yet who have myriad of different configurations of hardware and software. Look how long it took to get TMT3 stable. Build 160 for the most part. I expect that TMT5 will go through some growing pains, too, but, I do think overall it's a better player IMO.
post #191 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I tested the patch. I can now launch DVD folders from the command line but not BDs.

It would also be nice if the MCE player would launch in fullscreen mode when launched from outside Media Center.
post #192 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and that with this first version there's DEFINITELY going to be (already are) problems. ... Look how long it took to get TMT3 stable. Build 160 for the most part.

Yeah, our bar for commercial software has definitely been lowered thanks to Bluray.

(ArcSoft is not alone here and I'm sure they are cursing Bluray at this point too.)
post #193 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tested the patch. I can now launch DVD folders from the command line but not BDs.

It would also be nice if the MCE player would launch in fullscreen mode when launched from outside Media Center.

Yea, both are known issues that ArcSoft is aware of. God help them if they don't fix them.
post #194 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, our bar for commercial software has definitely been lowered thanks to Bluray.

(ArcSoft is not alone here and I'm sure they are cursing Bluray at this point too.)

Pretty pathetic, isn't it? This is all due to the stupid protection requirements put on software players. If they could just concentrate on writing good software, we'd ALL be better off.
post #195 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Pretty pathetic, isn't it? This is all due to the stupid protection requirements put on software players. If they could just concentrate on writing good software, we'd ALL be better off.

BD is also much more complex and flexible than DVD. Sometimes the other side of that sword isn't pleasant.

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #196 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoon! View Post

BD is also much more complex and flexible than DVD. Sometimes the other side of that sword isn't pleasant.

Oh believe me, I completely understand that. And that's really my point exactly. If the developers were allowed to focus on implementing the spec rather than focusing on asinine protection requirements such as BD+, Cinavia, and Protected Audio Path, then perhaps the players would be in better shape at matching standalones. We'd have had bitstreaming long ago. No downsampling means we'd have had less audio decoding bugs (maybe). We'd probably have things like bitstreaming HD DVD and MKV. Maybe auto refresh rate switching. ETC. I get that it's complex. It's even MORE complex artificially.
post #197 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Oh believe me, I completely understand that. And that's really my point exactly. If the developers were allowed to focus on implementing the spec rather than focusing on asinine protection requirements such as BD+, Cinavia, and Protected Audio Path, then perhaps the players would be in better shape at matching standalones. We'd have had bitstreaming long ago. No downsampling means we'd have had less audio decoding bugs (maybe). We'd probably have things like bitstreaming HD DVD and MKV. Maybe auto refresh rate switching. ETC. I get that it's complex. It's even MORE complex artificially.

Yep. Just what the studios intended.

Aaron Ledger - Senior Design Engineer, Ceton Corp.
post #198 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, both are known issues that ArcSoft is aware of. God help them if they don't fix them.

Did they ever fix the command line option for the v3 MCE Player? I honestly don't know but would like to. It would be nice to have it usable again.
post #199 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoon! View Post

Yep. Just what the studios intended.

At least they're stomping out piracy. Oh... wait... no... that should be "customers" not "piracy"
post #200 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

While I agree with you, TMT3 had the exact some problem playing from folders in WMC when it came out. Archsoft really should know better and not have blown it again this time around. That on is totally on them.
post #201 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

First thoughts (trial version):

Main player:

New UI/Features are nice if you plan on using TMT as your media hub/manager or if you are into eye candy. I'm not, so moving along...

MCE Player:

I absolutely HATE the changes to this player. I cannot stand the WMC UI/Navigation which is one of the main reasons I don't use WMC. If you like the WMC UI, you will like the the new TMT MCE player.

I prefered the stripped down UI of the old player. It could be launched from practically any application and fit in. Right Clicking or pressing the "Info" button on the remote would bring up a small but sufficient menu with quick access to the menu option you wanted. Now, it brings up an overlay that covers half the screen.

The issue of uMCEPlayer5 and MM3 rests squarely on the shoulders of ArcSoft. uMCEPlayer5 will not accept command line parameters to launch a movie from a specified drive or folder. It will always automatically play the first optical drive that contains a DVD/BD. There's not much MM can do about it.

3D:

Not tested due to lack of hardware.

Conclusions:

Since I only used TMT for BD and HD DVD playback and I only used the MCE player (until they broke the command line in TMT3), this new version offers nothing for me and is actually a step backwards. As with PDVD 10, I'm going to pass.

Retail Upgrade purchased version:
I have tested quite a bit with BD movie folders using MCE/MyMovies3 (with the hotfix) and I agree with vladd regarding the MCE player and the new UI with the overlay. I had my URC MX-980 remote programed with one button to turn on or off the popup information (useful when testing). Playback of discs/iso seems to work fine, but folder playback is still iffy. I have found one BD folder, Armored, that won't play with uMCEPlayer5, but plays fine with standalone player. Many times when trying to play a BD folder from MyMovies it will flash away from the MyMovies screen for a moment and then comes back and never loads the movie. If you keep pressing play eventually it will get to the disc screen (I hate this screen) and then loads up the small window and start playing. Stoping the movie and then hitting back button on my remote will work, but if you don't exit the application after stopping it it usually won't load another file until you close WMC and reopen.

My 2 cents: I think the picture quality is vastly improved for DVDs and Disc/ISO playback seems to be mostly trouble free. Remote functions properly for both the standalone and MCE interface. On the other hand, if you have many folder rips that you want to play from either Media Browser or MyMovies I suggest you wait until the bugs are worked out as I am sure they will be at some point .

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #202 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

While I agree with you, TMT3 had the exact some problem playing from folders in WMC when it came out. Archsoft really should know better and not have blown it again this time around. That on is totally on them.

I don't know how they do development at ArcSoft, but most places take the prioritized feature list and work their way down with a date in mind. Depending on how much code is shared b/w TMT5 and older revs this could just be a feature that didn't make the cut for initial scope.
post #203 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

At least they're stomping out piracy. Oh... wait... no... that should be "customers" not "piracy"

The problem for the purveyors of content is that piracy is a big problem. Check out this poll (referring to music content) that has 42% of respondents who don't pay for their music.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19766

Why do we have inconvenient locks on our doors and encryption on our data? Because a large number of our fellow human beings will steal it given the chance.

dale77
post #204 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I haven't been able to get Reclock to start with either TMT5 players. I have added them in the Advanced Tab, with load and ask, but it never loads or asks. SamuriHL are you using reclock with TMT5? If so, did you have to do anything special to get it to load?

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #205 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7344 View Post

The problem for the purveyors of content is that piracy is a big problem. Check out this poll (referring to music content) that has 42% of respondents who don't pay for their music.

Why do we have inconvenient locks on our doors and encryption on our data? Because a large number of our fellow human beings will steal it given the chance.

I have no problem with locks on the doors. But it shouldn't be easier to break into the house than it is to open the lock with the key.

As for the poll, part of that 42% could just be listening to it online from legitimate sources and not actually downloading.
post #206 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did they ever fix the command line option for the v3 MCE Player? I honestly don't know but would like to. It would be nice to have it usable again.

I don't know. I thought they had done some stuff with the command line on the MCE UI but I don't use it so I'm not sure.
post #207 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Yup. I agree with you. Carelessness in that case.
post #208 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

I don't know how they do development at ArcSoft, but most places take the prioritized feature list and work their way down with a date in mind. Depending on how much code is shared b/w TMT5 and older revs this could just be a feature that didn't make the cut for initial scope.

As a software engineer I can tell you that if you're working on two branches of code at the same time, you absolutely *MUST* port any fixes you do to both code lines. Else you run into this kind of nonsense. It means their engineering practices are faulty. Nothing more than that.
post #209 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7344 View Post

The real problem is that "purveyors of content" confuse the nature of the good they sell with the distribution of the good they sell.

Digital goods are non-rivalrous in consumption (i.e. marginal cost approaches zero and consumption doesn't devalue* the good) so decoupled from distribution the price should approach zero over time. Distribution on the other hand is rivalrous (whether physical or IP based), so in economic terms that is what you need to pay for.

* can you steal something w/o taking it away?
post #210 of 3674 Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I haven't been able to get Reclock to start with either TMT5 players. I have added them in the Advanced Tab, with load and ask, but it never loads or asks. SamuriHL are you using reclock with TMT5? If so, did you have to do anything special to get it to load?

Yes. It's more involved than that. I've asked James to update ReClock when he gets a chance, but, for now follow this:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...99&postcount=7
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page