AVS Forum banner

TotalMedia Theatre 5

493K views 4K replies 430 participants last post by  Zhorik 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The number 4 is a sound alike for the word death in Chinese. Many companies with a strong international market skip it.

Cisco, for example, went from IOS 12 to IOS 15. They skipped 13 due to western superstitions and skipped 14 due to eastern superstitions.

Might be silly, but why lose sales over something like that?

#8 ·
I would definitely be keen if it supports full rate analog audio on realtek. Will probably give it a try anyway, my experience with cyberlink hasn't been great.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G /forum/post/19470191

Also, free upgrade or do we need to buy the new ver?

Discounted upgrade pricing, exact amount to be revealed upon release. (Basically, same idea as TMT2 to TMT3.)

Quote:
I am hoping for more stability in MCE, I often have to start a BD, wait 30 secs to a minute before it goes back to the MCE menu and have to start a second time. Not a big deal, but it would great if it was smoother.

Never seen this in TMT3, but if you can find a way to fairly consistently recreate it we can look into fixing it if you report it to customer service.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/19470322

I'm was using the oem version of TMT2 that came with my Asus Xonar. I upgraded to Win7 and downloaded TMT3 from the Asus website. I wonder if Asus will be allowing free upgrades to an oem version of TMT5.

I don't think it's happening this time (confirm with ASUS before accepting my word as gospel) but you'll still be eligible for the upgrade pricing if I'm right.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw /forum/post/19473710

Looking forward to it, Jason.

A little off topic, but can you confirm the reason you skipped "4" . . .

We decided not to release TMT4 at retail. In general, it happens for a variety of reasons--there was no PhotoStudio 3 nor MediaConverter 6 either. Sometimes they only appear OEM, sometimes not at all, sometimes the product that would have been that number is OEM branded with a different name resulting in it not having a matching retail version.

#18 ·
Well, something has to happen to make the software expenditures reasonable. Here's the trick that kicks me: I can go buy a settop Bluray player (hardware and all) for $119 at walmart, right now. And yet, I'm seeing the major vendors wanting $119 for software packages.

I've used TMT3 in the past, it's a good product. But seriously, we've got to get to where the product with 3D support isn't in the $100+ market, otherwise most users will just skip it.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G /forum/post/19470191

Also, free upgrade or do we need to buy the new ver? I am hoping for more stability in MCE, I often have to start a BD, wait 30 secs to a minute before it goes back to the MCE menu and have to start a second time. Not a big deal, but it would great if it was smoother.

If you are launching ISOs, change over to the latest version of Slysoft VCD (Virtual CD). I used to have this same problem in the past, but have not had it for a long time.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo /forum/post/19475238

Well, something has to happen to make the software expenditures reasonable. Here's the trick that kicks me: I can go buy a settop Bluray player (hardware and all) for $119 at walmart, right now. And yet, I'm seeing the major vendors wanting $119 for software packages.

I've used TMT3 in the past, it's a good product. But seriously, we've got to get to where the product with 3D support isn't in the $100+ market, otherwise most users will just skip it.

I understand what you're saying but I don't see that as a fair comparison because I value a htpc over a standalone BD player. I look at it this way: I paid money for a BD player that just happens to be inside my htpc.

#21 ·
Hi

Do we finally have the possibility moving subtitles vertically during Blu-Ray playback. Subtitles in PGS format consist of a bitmap and coordinates, so of course the player can move them and change the size and color would be great ass well.

It would be a very welcome feature for us who have a CHI setup.

Best Regards

Chewie1

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/19476330

I understand what you're saying but I don't see that as a fair comparison because I value a htpc over a standalone BD player. I look at it this way: I paid money for a BD player that just happens to be inside my htpc.

Yes, but for just the BD playback portion of the HTPC, you are paying $200+ ($100 drive + $100 software) just to get the equivalent of a standalone that's half the price. That was the point that tmservo was making. And with a standalone, you don't need to purchase a new version of the software (firmware) to fix issues.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19477512

Yes, but for just the BD playback portion of the HTPC, you are paying $200+ ($100 drive + $100 software) just to get the equivalent of a standalone that's half the price. That was the point that tmservo was making. And with a standalone, you don't need to purchase a new version of the software (firmware) to fix issues.

Paid $59 for a BD-ROM and $65 for TMT3 so the total came to $124. A standalone is an extra component in the cabinet. With the BD-ROM in my HTPC I have a single box that does far more than any BD player can, and I can upgrade it in the future if need be. I've had DVD players, an HD-DVD player, and a BD player come and go already. The HTPC? It just gets reborn anew every so often. That flexibility is worth the extra money, imho.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromain /forum/post/19478181

Paid $59 for a BD-ROM and $65 for TMT3 so the total came to $124. A standalone is an extra component in the cabinet. With the BD-ROM in my HTPC I have a single box that does far more than any BD player can, and I can upgrade it in the future if need be. I've had DVD players, an HD-DVD player, and a BD player come and go already. The HTPC? It just gets reborn anew every so often. That flexibility is worth the extra money, imho.

At $124, the whole argument changes. But TMT 3 is more than $65 now ($89 base + $20 for the 3D plugin).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating standalones. I haven't owned a standalone component in 5+ years. I'm also not singling out ArcSoft.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/19478318

At $124, the whole argument changes. But TMT 3 is more than $65 now ($89 base + $20 for the 3D plugin).

Anyone buying TMT should check around the web for promo codes. Seems there is always one or more available and the discount is often 25%, and sometimes more.

Regarding 3D, I don't have a 3D TV yet but when it finally happens a video card upgrade and $20 for the plugin will be cheaper than buying a standalone.

Quote:
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating standalones. I haven't owned a standalone component in 5+ years. I'm also not singling out ArcSoft.

Understood. I'm just providing a counterpoint to the 'standalone vs. HTPC for BD' debate. Obviously I'm on the HTPC side of that argument but I agree that BD playback in an HTPC may not be for everyone. For ease of use a standalone cannot be beaten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.