Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 11-09-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 View Post
I'm not sure that I agree that a $99 purchase constitutes a "relationship". OP can try both BTV and Sage for free. Either one will turn his older Athlon X2 with XP into a very decent PVR for OTA and SD cable. That's all he wants, at least for now. From experience I know that BTV is easier to set up for a newb. Out of the box, with no additional software or downloading of addons, BTV will mark and skip commercials (called Smartskip), compress mpeg recordings to an h264 divx profile that can be played on cellphones etc (called Showsqueeze) and allow you to play and watch BTV on a client PC with BTV Link ($20). Of course Sage can do all this and much more, but with the extra functionality comes complexity.

we have not heard from OP for a while, maybe he is busy test driving ;-)

BB
I am a she and I am not a newb so complexity doesn't scare me as long as setting it up and forgetting it is an option (i.e. Girder- am I dating myself?). I don't tweak beyond the first two weeks, I bail.

I have a tuner on order so once I slap it in I will play with SageTV and see how that chugs along. My XP box is MCE (if I remember right) so there are probably some tuner services I can turn on and play with. That will be my first order of business.

I just bought a new TV that almost (but not quite) makes a Media front end obsolete with it's DLNA client and internet access so whatever gets the recording job done with the least CPU cycles will win.

Thanks so much for all of the replies, it's great to see that the debate rages on ten years later This is why I bought my poor ole' dusty Replays to start with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-09-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
FYI that you can also install XP Media Center for free and try it out at least. It's not as good as Win 7 MC but it's free at least.

Or just upgrade to Win 7 and WMC comes with it free as well.

Scott
post #33 of 51 Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am a she
Oops! I didn't read your handle properly! I am a Chem Eng and I read NitrousOxide.....I suppose the Mistress part should have been my first clue clue.... Good Luck with your test drive

BB

New wealth is created in 2 ways:
You dig it from the ground (mining and oil)
Or you grow it (fishing, farming and forestry).
Everything else is just processing what you dug up or grew.
post #34 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What format does Windows 7 Media Center record shows in? Assuming I am using a old tuner card such as a Hauppauge PVR-150. Any DRM?
post #35 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

MS=DRM.... records in DRM'd proprietary container .wtv

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #36 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

MS=DRM.... records in DRM'd proprietary container .wtv

Oh forget MC then, why would I want OTA tv recorded with DRM? Lame.
post #37 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The DRM is optional in the WTV container. OTA programs should not contain DRM in the recording.
post #38 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Ditched cable 2 years ago. Used a DTV PAL DVR for a year and that worked fine except it did not have name based recording and only 2 tunners.

With the direction from the group here at AVS I'm now using Win7 with 4 tunners and I could not be happier, works like a champ.

80% of my TV is OTA, 15% Netflix, 5% from the internet.

Jay
post #39 of 51 Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

So does OTA recordings have DRM?

And how would I be able to bring the videos to watch on my laptop or iPhone?

If everything records with DRM, doesn't that automatically disqualify it from being the "best' overall DVR solution?
post #40 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM

GBPVR will run on Windows XP, it supports many different tuners, it records to a TS file, you can watch live TV or watch recorded shows and with another add in program automatically skip commercials. Best of all it is a free program.

T
post #41 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ota doesn't have drm. the only time you will have issues with drm is with recordings of premium channels via a cable card tuner.
post #42 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Win 7 MC records programs in it's own proprietary format (.wtv file) but that's not DRM. Some people get that confused. Just like iTunes has it's own format for files (which again may or may not have DRM on them).

I do believe there are several programs out there that can convert the WMC files to other formats that can then be played on other players/media devices.

Scott
post #43 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
right clicking on a wtv file will allow you to convert it to dvr-ms. most things can play dvr-ms files.
post #44 of 51 Old 11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

right clicking on a wtv file will allow you to convert it to dvr-ms. most things can play dvr-ms files.

Or run the included wtvconverter.exe on the command line, which allows you to automate the conversion. And dvr-ms can easily be converted to raw mpg, which is even more universal.
post #45 of 51 Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2 View Post

GBPVR will run on Windows XP, it supports many different tuners, it records to a TS file, you can watch live TV or watch recorded shows and with another add in program automatically skip commercials. Best of all it is a free program.

T

Add in another vote for GBPVR. I've used it for years to record OTA television. I also use it to play DVD rips from my server. Quick responses and frequent updates from the developer and a very helpful forum.

pete
post #46 of 51 Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wow, normally I'm the only person in these threads advocating GBPVR. Nice to see it's getting more love these days. Especially with the work sub has put into the new version (NextPVR*). Rewriting the entire codebase was no easy task but he's done a great job with it.

* NextPVR is a tentative name for the new version and may change.
post #47 of 51 Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 PM

+1 for SageTV. I started with BTV and loved it. But as others have noted, it has been abandoned. Plus, I started down that slippery slope known as "integration" and Sage is where I landed. Version 7 seriously ups the GUI eye candy.

I personally have never had any trouble with Sage. I would be wary about tagging it with a "finicky" label based solely on the Sage forums. There are tons of customizations available and who knows what people have loaded on their systems. I run a pure Sage install with no plugs and no customer STVs (I used to use the SageMC STV before V.7 released).

Also, the HD300 is awesome as an extender if needed.

I tried MediaPortal but eventually gave up on the configuration nonesense. They are making progress, however, so it is definitely one to check out (I tried it about two years ago).

I've never tried GB-PVR, but there are many who like it.
post #48 of 51 Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99 View Post

+1 for SageTV. I started with BTV and loved it. But as others have noted, it has been abandoned. Plus, I started down that slippery slope known as "integration" and Sage is where I landed.

Hi,

I'm also using BTV. Are there any useful features in BTV that are lacking in SageTV?

Does SageTV recognize BTV's recordings (I need to still be able to see my old recordings sorted by date, with descriptions)?

Thanks,
Bryan
post #49 of 51 Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Just poking my head up from the total morass of installing and configuring 5 or so media servers to record tv. NPVR, GBPVR, BTV, MediaPortal, Myth on ubuntu, and now SAgeTV.

+8000 for SageTV, holy it cow. It works, it gets guide data, my tv looks good and it has a plugin for my ancient IRMAN so I don't need girder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurray!

Now lets see it record something.
post #50 of 51 Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_chow View Post

Hi,

I'm also using BTV. Are there any useful features in BTV that are lacking in SageTV?

Does SageTV recognize BTV's recordings (I need to still be able to see my old recordings sorted by date, with descriptions)?

Thanks,
Bryan

At the time, I really loved BTV's overall feel. I thought the GUI was great and very intuitive. Aside from that aspect (which was a very important aspect), I don't believe there was anything BTV can do that Sage couldn't.

I moved to Sage because I wanted full media center capabilities. I was terribly disappointed during my initial use of Sage because I hated the user interface. However, much of this concern went away when I installed the SageMC STV (i.e. a new skin). Still not quite as good as I remember BTV but very close. But then Sage came out with the extenders and all was forgiven (I never view Sage on a PC anymore). And now with Version 7 out, I believe the user interface has easily surpassed whatever it was I found appealing with BTV.

As for Sage recognizing BTV recordings, check out the Sage TV forums. I know there are many detailed threads on making the transition from BTV to Sage.
post #51 of 51 Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

+1 for Sage.

I've been using it since V5 and am about to upgrade to V7. With XP it was a struggle sometimes getting the codecs right. With Vista and Win 7, it's a lot easier. Since I love to try new hardware, I experiment quite a bit with client builds. I thought about trying 7MC, but we've had two xBox360s go bad in the last three years and now they have noisy fans in them to keep them cool. I like a nice small Sage client or the HD200/300.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page