Android video/audio streaming from HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried searching but didn't come across any threads regarding this issue. I am currently in the planning stages for my HTPC and was wondering if anyone has any experience streaming video/audio from a HTPC to an Android phone over Wifi or preferably 3G.

I've been doing some research and found that the new HP WHS support streaming to iPhones but not Android phones. I've also found that Tversity may be able to accomplish this on Windows and MediaTomb and Subsonic on Linux. I haven't had a chance to test any of these software packages yet and was wondering if anyone else has already managed to accomplish this.

At this point, I haven't decided what OS to run for my HTPC so a solution would probably make my OS decision a little eaiser!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Gizmo

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #3 of 9 Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Does gizmo support streaming video over 3g?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera451 View Post

Not at this time. Music and photos work, but for video, the problem is with the conversion necessary. This is an area we're working in right now so it may happen. You could follow progress on our support forum.

post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver View Post

Not at this time. The problem is with the conversion necessary. This is an area we're working in right now so it may happen. You could follow progress on our support forum.

I think you can do better than J. River.
J. River gives away camera, but charges for the film.
So you need to buy each release of their Media Center software, which can soon rival the cost of a good phone!
Obviously knowledge of 3G is NOT J. River's prime added value.
They do make a very good music tagging and search engine.
Here are some 3G alternatives:
http://androidandme.com/2010/10/appl...ed-is-awesome/
http://www.appbrain.com/app/poweramp...pz.audioplayer
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323929
http://www.androidfreeware.net/tag-3g.html

iq100
the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Thus far (and I haven't put too much effort into it) I have been unable to mount the SMB shares from my Win 7 x64 HTPC for viewing on my Android 2.1 Archos A70 internet tablet.

I don't have the optional and unavailable codec pack, so I can only play .avis. no .mkvs and some .m4vs.

The Archos 70 is pretty decent for the price, however. Hoping FroYo 2.2 will make it better. It sees my NAS SMB very well, and i have been able to stream 720p over only G wireless.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Look into Orb. I used it daily when I had a Windows Mobile phone. I could stream any video or music file as long as I had a signal. Unfortunately, I got a different phone (WebOS) that doesn't have a client and doesn't support it's many streaming formats. Pretty sure there's an Android client though.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera451 View Post

Yes. It's now working on many Android phones. You would need the build from the top of the MC15 board.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Subsonic works on Windows, I have it on my HTPC now, and it's fantastic. It's pretty damn quick with getting the songs played, I'm talking .5 second delay. Even when transcoding FLAC files they start playing in .5-1.5 seconds.

Jukebox is really awesome. Basically create a playlist and use a player defined as Jukebox and Subsonic will play the audio out through the computer it's running from, not the computer you're at. So you can turn your AVR on and just have that input activated -- tv is off -- and use jukebox mode to have your radio going and control it all from another laptop. I think he is working on making this possible from the phone.

The ability to create "players" is awesome. For my account I have four players: Work, Home, Android and Jukebox. I have transcoding set up for each one so that when I'm on my phone or at work it transcodes (on the fly) to 128kbps but when I'm at home it's unlimited since it's over my network; i have to worry about quality because of bandwidth caps.

Offline mode, for your phone, is also really great.

You can do video, there is a very doable guide on their forums for enabling video. I have it on my Someday/Maybe list to try it out and see how it works.

EDIT:
One major thing I forgot as to why I went with this solution above everything is that is accessible from literally anywhere. Since it builds a web portal there is no external application required you just need to forward the port properly on your router. So after I did this I used a free DNS service (DynDNS, DLinkdDNS) to redirect my external IP to an easy to remember web address.

That is a big reason I didn't go with something like Orb or Homepipe because those require additional apps to run on the client machines. This posed a problem for my fiance at her job, but with Subsonic she can just access the web portal and get access to all our music from her job.

The $25 donation for unlimited streaming may be a deterrent but honestly it's next to nothing.

OH it can also manage podcasts.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page