Dolby digital volume very low - windows 7 media center x64 with sharkcodec - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've previously successfully configured my windows 7 media center pc to playback wtv (recorded tv) and mkvs and avi's and output the dolby digital correctly to my avr.

The key was in the shark codec x64 settings.. NOT disabling ms audio in the swap tab and setting the playback device speaker configuration to 2 channel instead of 7.1..

If i do use ms audio on the swap tab, ffdshow takes over.. and when i goto the volume section, if its outputting ac3/dolby digital, the gain/volume/master control settings have no effect.. this is visible by just un checking the ac3 checkbox, suddenly you can see bars going up and down on those settings.. so using ffdshow to boost the volume just wont cut it..

I've tried volume equalization in the playback device settings.. no luck...

I cant figure out how to boost the playback of recorded tv at this point.. i have to crank the avr way up to do so (if i have say email open and a new email comes in while watching tv, you know things are off, because the email notification sound is extremely loud)..

Has anyone ran into this and may know of a workaround?

I'm using hdmi to my denon 790 series receiver from the ati 5850 video card (hdmi port)...

Thanks

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I don't have that problem with my Yamaha. I enable audio passthru and it's all at good levels.

There is a setting in Shark for Audio Normalization, try enabling that and see if it helps.

Scott
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

I don't have that problem with my Yamaha. I enable audio passthru and it's all at good levels.

There is a setting in Shark for Audio Normalization, try enabling that and see if it helps.

I tried that, no change.. are you using the built in microsoft codecs..?

If i could find a way to get the ac3 filter to show up in the tray, i read somewhere you can adjust the volume levels with that for multi channel sources (dolby digital), unlike ffdshow..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

I tried that, no change.. are you using the built in microsoft codecs..?

If i could find a way to get the ac3 filter to show up in the tray, i read somewhere you can adjust the volume levels with that for multi channel sources (dolby digital), unlike ffdshow..

I think I have the MS audio enabled but I can't remember. I'll try and check the settings tomorrow.

However, I have 32 bit so there may be a difference.

Scott
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This posting on the Shark007 forums should help you correct your issue.

Use
and retain your sanity.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

This posting on the Shark007 forums should help you correct your issue.

Thanks,
but, maybe i missed something in that, but i'm not sure how this thread has anything related to making the volume louder with dolby digital inside media center?

post #7 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I have the MS audio enabled but I can't remember. I'll try and check the settings tomorrow.

However, I have 32 bit so there may be a difference.

Ok, I've looked at my settings.

Note my hardware is Core i3 using HDMI for video only, optical for audio.

First off I have never adjusted anything with FFDshow itself other then stuff for subtitles. Certainly nothing for audio.

But for me getting everything setup properly for audio was in 2 parts: 1) Getting Shark setup and 2) Getting my AVR properly configured.

As for Shark I would start by using the recommended settings...this is a good base that may work "out of the box" for you. I do just some minor tweaking beyond this base. If you've been messing around in FFDshow itself you might consider uninstalling everything and then reinstalling Shark fresh.

Also remember that I have 32 bit only so unsure what you need for 64 bit but sounds like you just need to setup both to match.

Here is what I have on various tabs:
Audio tab I haven't touched the left side, leave at defaults.
Right side I have checked Use pass through for FFDshow S/PDIF and enable Audio Normalization.

MKV tab I use Gabest's splitter because Haali is buggy for me and I get better subtitles using Gabe. May help with your audio so give it a try.
Also I Disable the DivX Media Foundations.

Swap tab for AAC Audio I use FFDshow's codec. On the right side I have checked Use FFDshow for MP2/3 instead of MS and Disable Windows Media Foundation. Everything else is unchecked.

Now part 2 is your AVR. Honestly this was the bigger thing getting true passthru to work. At least on mine it wants to use various processing and "sound fields" which I don't want. Took me about 10 minutes going thru my manual (most of that actually trying to find the manual) until I figured out how to turn all that crud off so now when DD 5.1 or DTS hit my AVR the display just says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" instead of some sound field like "Movie" or "Action". Thus I am just getting the pure sound thru. Now for 2 channel stereo I do have it process it to Dolby Prologic II, but that's pretty common.

You may also have additional settings in the AVR for how it handles HDMI audio too. You could try using optical for audio instead and see if that solves the issue.

Hope this helps.

Scott
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I've looked at my settings.

Note my hardware is Core i3 using HDMI for video only, optical for audio.

First off I have never adjusted anything with FFDshow itself other then stuff for subtitles. Certainly nothing for audio.

But for me getting everything setup properly for audio was in 2 parts: 1) Getting Shark setup and 2) Getting my AVR properly configured.

As for Shark I would start by using the recommended settings...this is a good base that may work "out of the box" for you. I do just some minor tweaking beyond this base. If you've been messing around in FFDshow itself you might consider uninstalling everything and then reinstalling Shark fresh.

Also remember that I have 32 bit only so unsure what you need for 64 bit but sounds like you just need to setup both to match.

Here is what I have on various tabs:
Audio tab I haven't touched the left side, leave at defaults.
Right side I have checked Use pass through for FFDshow S/PDIF and enable Audio Normalization.

MKV tab I use Gabest's splitter because Haali is buggy for me and I get better subtitles using Gabe. May help with your audio so give it a try.
Also I Disable the DivX Media Foundations.

Swap tab for AAC Audio I use FFDshow's codec. On the right side I have checked Use FFDshow for MP2/3 instead of MS and Disable Windows Media Foundation. Everything else is unchecked.

Now part 2 is your AVR. Honestly this was the bigger thing getting true passthru to work. At least on mine it wants to use various processing and "sound fields" which I don't want. Took me about 10 minutes going thru my manual (most of that actually trying to find the manual) until I figured out how to turn all that crud off so now when DD 5.1 or DTS hit my AVR the display just says "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" instead of some sound field like "Movie" or "Action". Thus I am just getting the pure sound thru. Now for 2 channel stereo I do have it process it to Dolby Prologic II, but that's pretty common.

You may also have additional settings in the AVR for how it handles HDMI audio too. You could try using optical for audio instead and see if that solves the issue.

Hope this helps.

For me going optical just isnt a solution.. i did some more digging and it seems there were (or so i thought) some answers here:

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/using...ia-center.html

I did the hacks, but then when i went to play wtv recorded tv i got a "decoder not found" error in media center.. i guess the hack just isnt compatible with a recent update by microsoft.

So it appears the only way to fix the low volume issue with mce and hdmi for now, is to use the receiver's volume control, which unfortunately results in blasting audio at times if other audio programs pop up.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page