Dolby digital or dolby pro logic ii??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hello guys i just purchased a philips 5.1 surround sound, and i am wondering which one is better dolby digital or dolby pro logic ii? Because if i am gonna connect my tv through audio out using optical cable to my surround receiver which is optical in it says "dolby prologic ii" and if i connect the optical cable through to my hd cable box audio out to surround receiver audio in i get the "dolby digital" that is why i am confuse what are their differences and which one is the better on that choices. Thanks. Hope anyone can help me.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
These are very different things.

Dolby Digital is a way to encode a number of sound channels (i.e. 6 channels for 5.1 surround) into a format that can be sent over coax or optical S/PDIF. The receiver will decode that back into 6 discrete channels for a true surround experience.

Dolby Pro Logic is a way of taking stereo sound (2 channels) and 'matrixing' it over a number of speakers for an approximation of surround.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post

These are very different things.

Dolby Digital is a way to encode a number of sound channels (i.e. 6 channels for 5.1 surround) into a format that can be sent over coax or optical S/PDIF. The receiver will decode that back into 6 discrete channels for a true surround experience.

Dolby Pro Logic is a way of taking stereo sound (2 channels) and 'matrixing' it over a number of speakers for an approximation of surround.

so dolby digital is better than dolby pro logic II, thats what are you trying to say? because everytime im wathching cable from my cable box, the audio is dolby digital, and when im playing my ps3 the audio is dolby pro logic II. im using optical cable frm my cable box to surround receiver and from my ps3 i use hdmi cable but i dont have no sound thats why i used rca cable from the tv to surround receiver and i get dolby pro logic II sound.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dolby Digital is better because it contains discrete surround channels. Pro Logic makes a guess at what should be in the surround channels, but is only a stereo source at its heart.

It sounds like the optical from your TV is not passing through the Dolby Digital signal and instead downsampling it to stereo.

Your PS3 should be sending Dolby Digital. Make sure you have it set for "bitstream" and not "PCM".
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Dolby Digital is better because it contains discrete surround channels. Pro Logic makes a guess at what should be in the surround channels, but is only a stereo source at its heart.

It sounds like the optical from your TV is not passing through the Dolby Digital signal and instead downsampling it to stereo.

Your PS3 should be sending Dolby Digital. Make sure you have it set for "bitstream" and not "PCM".

i see. how come i dont have any sound from my ps3?im using hdmi from ps3 to tv, cable box im using hdmi to tv, and surround sound hdmi to tv and from cable box optical cable out to surround receiver optical in, i only get sound from the cable box but nothing from the ps3 at all. whats going on? thanks

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #6 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, your posts are completely unreadable. You need to clearly list what cable type goes between;
PS3 and TV
PS3 and surround

Right now, I see a big blurb of blah to blah and I really have no idea how your devices are connected together.

If you don't have the proper cable going from the PS3 to the surround then you won't get any sound.

The chances are about 90% that you will not get Dolby Digital if you connect the TV to the surround using an optical cable. Typically, that only works when you use the tuner in the TV.

Peter
post #7 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to hook up the devices to the surround sound first, and then run a video output to the TV. The manual for your philips 5.1 should provide instructions.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke View Post

Honestly, your posts are completely unreadable. You need to clearly list what cable type goes between;
PS3 and TV
PS3 and surround

Right now, I see a big blurb of blah to blah and I really have no idea how your devices are connected together.

If you don't have the proper cable going from the PS3 to the surround then you won't get any sound.

The chances are about 90% that you will not get Dolby Digital if you connect the TV to the surround using an optical cable. Typically, that only works when you use the tuner in the TV.

Peter

hi peter thanks for the reply. i just figured it out already last night what to do to get dolby digital sound. what i did is from my ps3 i used optical cable(out) to my surround receiver optical cable(in) and when im playing or watching movies from my ps3 now i get dolby digital sound, before it is only dolby pro logic II because i connect my optical cable(out) from the tv to optical cable(in) to my surround receiver and which is wrong. and from my cable box i used the rca cable and i plugged it to digital audio(out) on my cable box and connected to digital audio(in) to my surround receiver and every time im watching cable or playing games and watching blu rays everything is dolby digital sound, a lot of difference before with the pro logic II. thanks. carlo

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #9 of 9 Old 11-25-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

You need to hook up the devices to the surround sound first, and then run a video output to the TV. The manual for your philips 5.1 should provide instructions.

thank you for the reply. now i get the full dolby digital surround now on my system and im enjoying the movies and shows now. thanks. carlo.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page