XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 106 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #3151 of 3313 Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow! Never saw it..So it would have essentially took my 6 hard drives and made them show as 1 JBOD(hard drive) when surfing for movies to watch?

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3313 Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Yep, whether browsing the "Movies" library section or in the file list view
post #3153 of 3313 Old 05-12-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to know for the future!! Another question..Upgraded to Gotham and I'm really liking this. My question is though, has anybody else notice what seems to me to be a MUCH improved picture and sound quality from Gotham? It's always been good, but it just really seems like things are noticeably better in those areas..

post #3154 of 3313 Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
One issue I've seen from Gotham is volume levels, they seem to be all over the place, i.e. recorded TV shows are much softer than live TV, different TV channels have huge differences in loudness. Don't recall having this issue in Frodo, though I also added a soundbar to the setup before upgrading to Gotham.
post #3155 of 3313 Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

One issue I've seen from Gotham is volume levels, they seem to be all over the place, i.e. recorded TV shows are much softer than live TV, different TV channels have huge differences in loudness. Don't recall having this issue in Frodo, though I also added a soundbar to the setup before upgrading to Gotham.

I've always noticed a difference amongst live tv channels and their broadcast volumes in WMC, XBMC, etc. The FCC had introduced some regulation recently saying broadcasters were no longer allowed to alter the volume of their commercials more than +/- some arbitrary number from the main programming. Afterwards, it seems like I have started noticing broadcasters taking each commercial to the full (-) end of the range then back to the full (+) of the range (and continually swapping through each commercial)

Movies and music are all expected volumes. Only tv does this for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

Good to know for the future!! Another question..Upgraded to Gotham and I'm really liking this. My question is though, has anybody else notice what seems to me to be a MUCH improved picture and sound quality from Gotham? It's always been good, but it just really seems like things are noticeably better in those areas..

I watch a lot of 1080 on a 1080 display, so I've always thought PQ was good. My cable package is 1080i and 720p and those look the same to me still

For SD, there are HQ scalers available in the Video Settings (on-screen display option) to play around with. I can see some improvement changing the scaler from bilinear or nearest neighbor to lanczos3 optimized, especially during fast-motion scenes. I don't have a ton of SD content to play with though

For audio, the audio engine code was rewritten. I don't know how much difference it makes, but here is the blurb from the wiki
Quote:
ActiveAE was a large rewrite of SoftAE and combined all platforms to one engine. Sinks are available for all platforms. ActiveAE uses an active state machine pattern, with a separate high priority sink thread, that cares for underruns. ActiveAE is completely build upon ffmpeg, which is used for resampling, channel mapping and decoding. High performance SSE algorithms - already existent in the AEUtils - were fixed up and are used to do the final conversion into formats the sinks can accept. ActiveAE uses the float format internally and it is working bit-exact.
A new feature is the upmix via AC3 transcoding support. On optical devices where only 2 pcm channels are available, we can now upmix to 5.1 by transcoding to ac3. Another new feature is the PulseAudio sink for ActiveAE, which was merged into XBMC mainline on January 9th 2014 and enables Linux desktop users to use the PulseAudio system instead of ALSA, which was an often requested feature. See PulseAudio
ActiveAE has three build-in profiles: Best Match, Optimized and Fixed.
Fixed takes care that all audio you will play is play in the very same data format. Your receiver does not need to switch modes.
Best Match is what previously existed as the "audiophile" mode. Whenever a new video or music playback starts, the audio engine will select the best sink for that stream.
Optimized is something special, as it tries to reduce the reopening of sinks a lot. One example is live-TV where it switches between 5.1 to 2.0 during commercials. In order to not open the device anew and loosing some (milliseconds of) audio, the 2.0 commercials are played with the already open 5.1 sink by muting the non existent channels.
post #3156 of 3313 Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I've always noticed a difference amongst live tv channels and their broadcast volumes in WMC, XBMC, etc. The FCC had introduced some regulation recently saying broadcasters were no longer allowed to alter the volume of their commercials more than +/- some arbitrary number from the main programming. Afterwards, it seems like I have started noticing broadcasters taking each commercial to the full (-) end of the range then back to the full (+) of the range (and continually swapping through each commercial)

Movies and music are all expected volumes. Only tv does this for me

Yes, I'm well aware of this phenomenon, but there's something else happening since I moved to Gotham. I have 2 HTPCs running XBMC and the living room one has the noticeable variances in volume levels far worse than my basement HTPC. I'll have to check if the recorded shows are as quiet on that one as they are in the living room. It certainly wasn't this bad when I ran Frodo.
post #3157 of 3313 Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Was just gonna comment on another Gotham feature I'm loving now. How they handle "movie sets" . Had a few sets in the past that didn't quite work right and was always a pain to fix. The new way to manage sets is wonderful. Just makes it super easy. In the past when I created my set to hold all my Xmas movies I would have to create a "nfo" file for each movie. Now just create a set of 2 to start,then I can just add xmas to that set thru XBMC's manage set feature, AWESOME!!!!

post #3158 of 3313 Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just decided to try upgrading to gotham on one of my computers.
I have a dedicated home server/HTPC set up as well.
When I go to add videos its not picking up my server.... When I browse for files I select 'Windows Network (SMB'.... but nothing is there???
This worked fine in Frodo and I can see the server/htpc fine in windows explorer....
Any idea why I cannot find my media folders?
post #3159 of 3313 Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually not sure what is wrong..but I believe when I was cruising the xbmc forums on their website,others have reported problems picking up shares. I would go there and check to see if there's some solutions.

post #3160 of 3313 Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=SMB/Windows

I just did a quick search for smb shares not showing up and this is the top page google came up with from last month. Hope there is some info here to get you started in the right direction.

post #3161 of 3313 Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I just decided to try upgrading to gotham on one of my computers.
I have a dedicated home server/HTPC set up as well.
When I go to add videos its not picking up my server.... When I browse for files I select 'Windows Network (SMB'.... but nothing is there???
This worked fine in Frodo and I can see the server/htpc fine in windows explorer....
Any idea why I cannot find my media folders?
I had the same problem with Frodo... I had to add the location manually. When I upgraded to the latest it then saw where my NAS was.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 HTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #3162 of 3313 Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys... I will check this out later when I get home.
post #3163 of 3313 Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Couple of unrelated questions:

Since I installed the final release Gotham, my Vevo and SpoitMC add ons have stopped working - SpotiMC will stream the first 5 seconds of audio and then audio stops, but the counter keeps ticking - any ideas? Vevo won't connect at all.

I have been thinking about adding MPC HC and Madvr, but as i mostly watch 1080 Mkvs, is there any benefit to adding it as an external player?

TIA.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #3164 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm using Gotham and Aeon MQ5 skin. All of my movie are set up on a network share with cover-art, info, etc scraped from My Movies. When I import the library in, all of the titles have the proper cover-art is displayed in the Movie Wall. However, all of the cover-art for "Recent" Movies that shows up when you move to the Movie Tab is empty/blank. When I pause a movie, the spot for the cover-art on the pause screen is also blank. Are these images different than the ones for the Movie Wall? and How do I get them to show up?

I don't really like talking about my flair

Chromebox W/ XBMC For Sale
RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #3165 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
There will be a lag on some add-ons working. Just hope it is still being worked on. I am waiting a little just for that reason. Still on 12.3.
13.1 beta 2 is out. I will try out 13.1 final after backing up.

Option to downgrade for now for the add-ons?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #3166 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

There will be a lag on some add-ons working. Just hope it is still being worked on. I am waiting a little just for that reason. Still on 12.3.
13.1 beta 2 is out. I will try out 13.1 final after backing up.

Option to downgrade for now for the add-ons?

I am expecting to upgrade to Gotham as well, but I am having a hard time with the XBMC Backup add-on. I cannot "get add-on", install fails. And via zip, I get a weird error message. Is there a different way? Can I manually save my settings file?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #3167 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

This is my first XMBC install, so I"ve never been at 12.3.....are you saying that If I go with 12.3 it may take care of the coverart problem? The odd thing is that acutally a couple of them work...but say 95% of them do not show up.

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #3168 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
barhoram: Sorry, did not think about it completely. I thought you upgraded to Gotham and it may have worked before. I use Aeon MQ5 with 12.3 "Frodo". It has the universal artwork downloader added on install. I see some missing pieces as well, but cant remember if its the same situation as yours. Will have to check later when home. Did you ask in MQ5 forum?

kevin g: what I do is export all the information to individual files first. that way local scraping picks it up quick next time I need to recreate everything. I also back up in windows explorer the XBMC install folder and the XBMC folder in your user apps/roaming folder. I have labelled the backup as 12.3. If I need to rebuild, I can installed 12.3 then copy back and overwrite them with my backed up information. caveat: I have not rebuilt in a very long time so I am not sure if it works flawlessly.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #3169 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I am using MQ5 too... The only thing is I find it hard to locate things when you want to add or configure, so i switch back to Confluence when I want to change something and then I switch back after i have changed it.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 HTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
post #3170 of 3313 Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

I'm using Gotham and Aeon MQ5 skin. All of my movie are set up on a network share with cover-art, info, etc scraped from My Movies. When I import the library in, all of the titles have the proper cover-art is displayed in the Movie Wall. However, all of the cover-art for "Recent" Movies that shows up when you move to the Movie Tab is empty/blank. When I pause a movie, the spot for the cover-art on the pause screen is also blank. Are these images different than the ones for the Movie Wall? and How do I get them to show up?

I have seen that too. I think the problem is in the skin widgets addon or else how MQ5 interacts with it but haven't had time/ energy to look into how that addon works to see why it doesn't see the movie posters. I have also seen this with "concerts" (music videos) that use screenshots as the poster.

Edit OK I did some looking into how the widgets work. It makes a json-rpc call to get the info from the database, including art(poster) and art(fanart) for movies. It stores what info it gets as a "Window.property" which can then be used as a label by the skin. So it is looking for the right thing. It seems like MQ5 skin takes what is available from the art(poster) for items 1-10 and sets that as the icon for the widget panel. But I think for XBMC to actually display the icon it has to find it correctly in the thumbnail cache. Maybe something is going wrong on this step? No idea at this point.
scott s.
post #3171 of 3313 Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

When I browse for files I select 'Windows Network (SMB'.... but nothing is there???

I don't have this issue. Did you ever get it resolved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

I have been thinking about adding MPC HC and Madvr, but as i mostly watch 1080 Mkvs, is there any benefit to adding it as an external player?

Not to me, but you can add MPC-HC into the custom playercorefactory.xml in your userdata folder without any prepend rules and MPC-HC will just show up as an option when you press "Play Using..." in the context menu for each title
Quote:

Typically the movie wall uses poster.jpg, but some widgets will use thumbnail.jpg

Are you using "Local Metadata Only," TMDB, or the universal movie scraper
post #3172 of 3313 Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I don't have this issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

Actually got it all running a few days ago and didn't do anything special so I'm not sure what was causing the issue.
Everything is well now!
post #3173 of 3313 Old 05-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Typically the movie wall uses poster.jpg, but some widgets will use thumbnail.jpg

Don't agree. skin.widgets just stores what ever info it gets from a database query for art(poster) which could be a local file such as moviefiename-poster.jpg or from a URL. MQ5 assigns that to the "icon"s which are then shown as a collection in a panel container control on the home window.

scott s.
post #3174 of 3313 Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I finally got it working. It was indeed missing posters. Seems that the movie wall will revert to the folder.jpg image in each folder if there is no poster. However, the widgets seem to need a poster.jpg image in the folder to show up. I used the artwork down-loader to get posters for everything, so the artwork shows up in the widget. The only problem is that my perfect cover-art has now changed in the movie wall as it looks like it uses the poster.jpg image if it is there instead of folder.jpg. These were auto selected by artwork downloader.

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #3175 of 3313 Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

Don't agree. skin.widgets just stores what ever info it gets from a database query for art(poster) which could be a local file such as moviefiename-poster.jpg or from a URL. MQ5 assigns that to the "icon"s which are then shown as a collection in a panel container control on the home window.
You are sure MQ5 is using skin.widgets? By skin.widgets you're referring to Martijn's skin.widgets code?
post #3176 of 3313 Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that my cover-art problem is sorted out, is there any way to decode DTS HD and TruHD audio in either the Win7 or Openelec version of XBMC? My Pre-AMP can not decode these, so it must be done via the HTPC and sent over LPCM.

From my reading, DTS-HD can not be decoded by the Openelec version, but it can decode TruHD. This can be accomplished with the Win7 version, but a new audio decoder must be added. Is this correct? Any simple guide to setting up the Win7 version ?

RTI T4 Remote For Sale:
post #3177 of 3313 Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

You are sure MQ5 is using skin.widgets? By skin.widgets you're referring to Martijn's skin.widgets code?

It installs skin.widgets automatically when installing MQ5 for the first time.
post #3178 of 3313 Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Yes. Martijn's skin.widgets sets the home window properties when it runs, and MQ5 uses that to display the info in static panel container item blocks. See skin file IncludesMenuWidgets.xml. Skin.widgets runs as a service so it starts at logon.

scott s.
post #3179 of 3313 Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

Yes. Martijn's skin.widgets sets the home window properties when it runs, and MQ5 uses that to display the info in static panel container item blocks. See skin file IncludesMenuWidgets.xml. Skin.widgets runs as a service so it starts at logon.

Thanks for the info
Quote:

Now that my cover-art problem is sorted out, is there any way to decode DTS HD and TruHD audio in either the Win7 or Openelec version of XBMC? My Pre-AMP can not decode these, so it must be done via the HTPC and sent over LPCM.

From my reading, DTS-HD can not be decoded by the Openelec version, but it can decode TruHD. This can be accomplished with the Win7 version, but a new audio decoder must be added. Is this correct? Any simple guide to setting up the Win7 version ?

In any windows versions of XBMC, the arcsoft TMT trial can be used to obtain the dtsdecoder needed for decoding DTS-HD. There is no way to use that within XBMCs main branch (perhaps within DS-player branch, but I'm not sure). Instead, you have to output video to an external player (mpc-hc) and setup LAV audio for MPC-HC. Then just copy the dtsdecoder.dll into your LAV audio folder

Honestly after all the hooplah, really listen to how much difference you can perceive. When you upgrade your AVR then it can bitstream the format instead, but in the interim I'd just let XBMC decode the DTS core (which it will automatically do) to preserve the XBMC gui and prevent using an external player
post #3180 of 3313 Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

In Frodo you could right click on any movie, and have it update your library, but in the latest that feature is not there. How do we do that now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers