Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #3211 of 3237 Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, thanks for the info Scott. I will see what is available then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3237 Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
XBMC is now called Kodi. They haven't yet explained what it means. Not sure what to think.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3213 of 3237 Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What is there to think about? Explanation is there in the blog. Nothing to do with Xbox therefore xbmc name dropped.
post #3214 of 3237 Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Horrible name
post #3215 of 3237 Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Stupid name, but whatever, as long as the development continues I won't care.
post #3216 of 3237 Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Agree with both
post #3217 of 3237 Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
XBMC is now called Kodi. They haven't yet explained what it means. Not sure what to think.
I think a new name was really needed.
This program doesn't even run on the Xbox.
post #3218 of 3237 Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really don't associate XBMC with Xbox. I also don't associate scuba, nasa, laser, led, radar, etc with their full word definitions either. I know them, but rarely think of them in that context

I associate kodi with the name a child might have given the dog their parents got them for Christmas

Really poor choice. Not much input requested on it either. Seems as if they were looking hard for something that wasn't entangled legally, but rather than come up with a list of good names to check they maybe had one, asked if it could be tm, found out it couldn't, then pulled something out of their butt, and now it's stuck
robnix likes this.
post #3219 of 3237 Old 08-03-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
^^^^ lol all sounds very true... I hated it at first but It's not that bad once you get used to it lol
post #3220 of 3237 Old 08-04-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
weird...

Well, 13 somehow removed all my media so I downgraded to 12 and got it back. I might just wait until Kodi comes out to upgrade again.
post #3221 of 3237 Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, updated to 13.2 and now all my movies except the ones added recently are gone from "Movies" - I can still see and play them under Videos > Files, and all my TV Shows are there. I don't freaking understand this!!!! Please someone help. I've removed and added the source, and it just won't read them.

edit: had to remove my entire library and clean XBMC, then re-add everything.

Last edited by b_scott; 08-04-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #3222 of 3237 Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Yup, updated to 13.2 and now all my movies except the ones added recently are gone from "Movies" - I can still see and play them under Videos > Files, and all my TV Shows are there. I don't freaking understand this!!!! Please someone help. I've removed and added the source, and it just won't read them.

edit: had to remove my entire library and clean XBMC, then re-add everything.
I never try to upgrade libraries on a major release. Start fresh and rescan everything, or export first from the old release and import into the new release. I've also never tried to get a mySQL library working.

scott s.
post #3223 of 3237 Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
^^^^ lol all sounds very true... I hated it at first but It's not that bad once you get used to it lol
It's kind of like Prince, when he changed his name to a symbol.
I don't mind the name but what's a bigger annoyance to me is the arrogant developers who are condescending to their users. I've found both Plex and MB3 both to be very supportive of their end users. Hopefully soon one of them will catch up to XBMC/KODI in terms of flexibility (biggest for me is live tv along with a skin like aeon mq 5)
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #3224 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Rookie question here. I just got started with XBMC a few weeks ago after purchasing an Amazon FireTV. Results have been rather mixed but overall I like the XBMC experience. Dealing with some buffering issues and not sure what is causing it. From what I have read it sounds like perhaps some sources are just better than others. I'm hard wired, no wireless and have a 20MB internet connection. Anyway, my question is regarding cover art for locally sourced content. I have an unRaid server where all of my movies are stored. I added it as a source and I can play these movies through the FireTV pretty well. However, I have not found a way to scrape for the cover art and get the nice interface that I see others have. My movies are all in a single folder called "MOVIES" that is shared. Is the problem that I should have every file/movie in its own folder?
post #3225 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 07:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Scraping is a big topic but there is generally a way to get it done. All files in one folder should be no problem.

Have you looked at the wiki guide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...ntent_and_scan

-Bill
post #3226 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Scraping is a big topic but there is generally a way to get it done. All files in one folder should be no problem.

Have you looked at the wiki guide: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...ntent_and_scan

-Bill
Hey, what are you doing here? I thought you were the Oppo guru.

Thanks, I will give that a read.
post #3227 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I'm evolving.

I have this curator: a file server being accessed by this Zotac ZBOX as a Media Player Appliance, which runs OpenELEC/XBMC, and the HDMI out goes to the HDMI in of the OPPO BDP-103D.

-Bill
post #3228 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
I never try to upgrade libraries on a major release. Start fresh and rescan everything, or export first from the old release and import into the new release. I've also never tried to get a mySQL library working.

scott s.
weird. It always worked fine with any new versions in the past. Oh well, it's working now.
post #3229 of 3237 Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I'm evolving.

I have this curator: a file server being accessed by this Zotac ZBOX as a Media Player Appliance, which runs OpenELEC/XBMC, and the HDMI out goes to the HDMI in of the OPPO BDP-103D.

-Bill
Wow, keeping yourself busy I see! I am considering something similar to this as I already have an unRaid server working well for my files. Until now I have always used media streamers (Dune, Mede8er, etc.) for playing these files. However, I became interested in the streaming online content that is available through XBMC and the ability to have a nice looking interface for local content as well. As I said, I'm just a few weeks into that now via the FireTV. Now I'm thinking of building a HTPC or perhaps a NUC like many here seem to like. I'm just getting tired of having multiple devices that do a few things well but not the whole package. I think my requirements are fairly conservative compared to others that are doing TV recording and such. What I'm looking for is:

A one box player that can handle my full BD MKV and BD-ISO files without stutter, deliver TrueHD and DTS-HD without issue, proper 24p playback, 4:2:2 and or 4:4:4 colorspace and an XBMC type interface for viewing titles and movie information. I would also like it to be able to stream the online content of XBMC without buffering.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #3230 of 3237 Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill, thanks for directing me to the wiki. I figured out how to add the cover art last night and while it's not working the way it should, I will live with it. Every time I got to update the library I get a status bar with 0% for about 2 or 3 seconds and then the whole thing crashed out of XBMC. I restart and it goes through a loop of the same thing over and over. I disconnected my network cable and rebooted the box, then figured out I needed to turn of the update library at startup feature until I could get things stable. Reconnected the network cable and rebooted again. Some movie information was showing up but not much. I brought up the contextual menu on a single movie file and was able to manually search for content. This worked just fine so I guess on a rainy day I will go through each file and scrape for information.
post #3231 of 3237 Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post
It's kind of like Prince, when he changed his name to a symbol.
I don't mind the name but what's a bigger annoyance to me is the arrogant developers who are condescending to their users. I've found both Plex and MB3 both to be very supportive of their end users. Hopefully soon one of them will catch up to XBMC/KODI in terms of flexibility (biggest for me is live tv along with a skin like aeon mq 5)
Perhaps XBMC should have changed the name to a symbol.
post #3232 of 3237 Old 08-15-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Wow, keeping yourself busy I see! I am considering something similar to this as I already have an unRaid server working well for my files. Until now I have always used media streamers (Dune, Mede8er, etc.) for playing these files. However, I became interested in the streaming online content that is available through XBMC and the ability to have a nice looking interface for local content as well. As I said, I'm just a few weeks into that now via the FireTV. Now I'm thinking of building a HTPC or perhaps a NUC like many here seem to like. I'm just getting tired of having multiple devices that do a few things well but not the whole package. I think my requirements are fairly conservative compared to others that are doing TV recording and such. What I'm looking for is:

A one box player that can handle my full BD MKV and BD-ISO files without stutter, deliver TrueHD and DTS-HD without issue, proper 24p playback, 4:2:2 and or 4:4:4 colorspace and an XBMC type interface for viewing titles and movie information. I would also like it to be able to stream the online content of XBMC without buffering.
I love XBMC... My only problem has been that I have never been able to get my HDHomerunDual tuners to work in it. I wish it would be as easy to setup as the movies, music etc. are.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #3233 of 3237 Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hypothetical question:

Let's say that I want to view WMC recorded TV from a machine running OpenELEC. The recordings would be stored on a WHS 2011 file server. Would I need to run a Win7 virtual machine (with ServerWMC) on the file server to make this work? All recordings are currently made on another dedicated HTPC, then archived to the server.

Thanks!
post #3234 of 3237 Old 08-20-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski View Post
Hypothetical question:

Let's say that I want to view WMC recorded TV from a machine running OpenELEC. The recordings would be stored on a WHS 2011 file server. Would I need to run a Win7 virtual machine (with ServerWMC) on the file server to make this work? All recordings are currently made on another dedicated HTPC, then archived to the server.

Thanks!
In it's current form yes. It would need to run alongside an instance of wmc

That's more or less one of the big reasons I run a w8.1 server

I know whs had a wmc TV archive feature. Serverwmc does a lot more than just play back recordings in xbmc, but. . . if you asked krustyreturns in the feature request area of the xbmc-pvr-serverwmc forums . . . they might be able to develop a "recorded-tv-only" version that would run on whs with the wmc TV archive feature
post #3235 of 3237 Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
In it's current form yes. It would need to run alongside an instance of wmc

That's more or less one of the big reasons I run a w8.1 server

I know whs had a wmc TV archive feature. Serverwmc does a lot more than just play back recordings in xbmc, but. . . if you asked krustyreturns in the feature request area of the xbmc-pvr-serverwmc forums . . . they might be able to develop a "recorded-tv-only" version that would run on whs with the wmc TV archive feature
Thanks very much for confirming that...I figured a VM configuration would be required in this circumstance. I'll make a request, per your suggestion. Thanks again!
post #3236 of 3237 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Stupid question alert. Is it possible to upgrade XBMC versions from within the XBMC interface? I installed the program on my FireTV using my Android phone before and while it wasn't too bad I have sort of forgotten the process and it seems it would be so much easier to do through the program itself or an add-on.
post #3237 of 3237 Old Today, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I don't think it's possible to do it within xbmc.

Download the latest build in your android phone, copy the full path of the apk file, open Jterminal or whatever other terminal you use, type adb connect 192.168.1.xx (xx is the ip number of your FTV on your network), press enter, wait for confirmation that you are connected, then type adb install -r and paste the apk file name and hit enter.
That's it.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page