Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #3241 of 3266 Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 63
External storage for FTV requires root access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3266 Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
External storage for FTV requires root access.
I don't remember if I rooted the box when I got it or not. Is there a way to tell in the settings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3243 of 3266 Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

I am not sure. I lost the root with the latest Amazon update and didn't bother rooting again.

Here is the guide on how to root http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv/

You need to sideload a few things like Towelroot, SuperSU, and a couple others.
post #3244 of 3266 Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Hello,

I'm new to the HTPC angle, not new to tech or PCs in general though...

I have an slightly older desktop that has been recently repurposed to the theater, it was originally built as a photography rig for my wife's business but last year she got a macbook and the portability serves her better with working between home and her studio. The desktop has:

• Core i5 2500 (Quad 3.3Ghz)
  • Asus MB
  • 16gig DDR3 Ram
  • Nvidia GT640 (Asus 2GB flavor) with HDMI to a Denon AVRS900W
  • SSD OS Drive
  • Wired on Gig Lan
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Media stored on a separate Windows 8.1 Pro machine that is serving as a file server using Storage Spaces (10 TB currently).
I re-purposed it mostly to run WMC with a HomeRunHD Prime. I am on Time Warner and most content is encrypted.

I recently picked up a 3D projector (Epson 5030UB) to replace my old projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am curious if XBMC is in a state to run 3D content? I currently use a popcorn hour (non 3D), but if I can get XBMC up and working I might prefer that than trying to find a box to replace the popcorn hour. I'd like to be somewhat simple for my wife to use. Right now the process of mounting an iso in Virtual Clone Drive, opening PowerDVD/TMT, dealing with mouse or no-mouse support on disc playback, ect, is non smooth.

Does XBMC handle 3D well? Limitations of 3D? I don't currently have a 3D library built up, but I'm flexible in going ISO/Bluray Folder/MKV. I'm currently doing MKV with my non-3D library. Does it work well using just a remote and launching movies, whether that movie is 3D, ISO, Raw Folders, MKV, ect? All of my movies will be Bluray sourced preserving original bitrates and HD audio.

I realize I might be asking a loaded question and that my answers lie in this thread, I'm just hoping to avoid spending 8 hours researching only to axe the idea and look elsewhere.

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #3245 of 3266 Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the HTPC angle, not new to tech or PCs in general though...

I have an slightly older desktop that has been recently repurposed to the theater, it was originally built as a photography rig for my wife's business but last year she got a macbook and the portability serves her better with working between home and her studio. The desktop has:

• Core i5 2500 (Quad 3.3Ghz)
  • Asus MB
  • 16gig DDR3 Ram
  • Nvidia GT640 (Asus 2GB flavor) with HDMI to a Denon AVRS900W
  • SSD OS Drive
  • Wired on Gig Lan
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Media stored on a separate Windows 8.1 Pro machine that is serving as a file server using Storage Spaces (10 TB currently).
I re-purposed it mostly to run WMC with a HomeRunHD Prime. I am on Time Warner and most content is encrypted.

I recently picked up a 3D projector (Epson 5030UB) to replace my old projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am curious if XBMC is in a state to run 3D content? I currently use a popcorn hour (non 3D), but if I can get XBMC up and working I might prefer that than trying to find a box to replace the popcorn hour. I'd like to be somewhat simple for my wife to use. Right now the process of mounting an iso in Virtual Clone Drive, opening PowerDVD/TMT, dealing with mouse or no-mouse support on disc playback, ect, is non smooth.

Does XBMC handle 3D well? Limitations of 3D? I don't currently have a 3D library built up, but I'm flexible in going ISO/Bluray Folder/MKV. I'm currently doing MKV with my non-3D library. Does it work well using just a remote and launching movies, whether that movie is 3D, ISO, Raw Folders, MKV, ect? All of my movies will be Bluray sourced preserving original bitrates and HD audio.

I realize I might be asking a loaded question and that my answers lie in this thread, I'm just hoping to avoid spending 8 hours researching only to axe the idea and look elsewhere.
You'll need to use an external player like TMT or Powerdvd for 3D. It works, but can be frustrating to setup. I ended up just using a mede8er 600X3D for 3D playback.

Looky here!
post #3246 of 3266 Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
You'll need to use an external player like TMT or Powerdvd for 3D. It works, but can be frustrating to setup. I ended up just using a mede8er 600X3D for 3D playback.
saved me those hours I was talking about...... Thanks...

"The Scuba Tank" thread

PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #3247 of 3266 Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for XBMC gurus. Recently I am having an issue with my FireTV running XBMC where the program tries to scan my library for updates and then crashed after about 2 or 3 seconds. Within XBMC setting I have the feature for scanning library on startup set to "NO" or "OFF". I'm not sure why it would still be scanning. Usually it just takes a single time scanning, crashing and restarting and then it does not try again. Also, if I quickly navigate to another tab like "VIDEOS", "MUSIC", etc. within the XBMC gui at startup this does not happen. Any ideas? I am running the XBMC-Hub version of Gotham 13.2.

post #3248 of 3266 Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Question for XBMC gurus. Recently I am having an issue with my FireTV running XBMC where the program tries to scan my library for updates and then crashed after about 2 or 3 seconds. Within XBMC setting I have the feature for scanning library on startup set to "NO" or "OFF". I'm not sure why it would still be scanning. Usually it just takes a single time scanning, crashing and restarting and then it does not try again. Also, if I quickly navigate to another tab like "VIDEOS", "MUSIC", etc. within the XBMC gui at startup this does not happen. Any ideas? I am running the XBMC-Hub version of Gotham 13.2.
You mention this is a recent issue. Have you had any sort of updates recently? Also, you might try enabling debug logging in XBMC and see if you can recreate the problem. At the very least, you should be able to see what is calling for a library scan.
dropzone7 likes this.
post #3249 of 3266 Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
You mention this is a recent issue. Have you had any sort of updates recently? Also, you might try enabling debug logging in XBMC and see if you can recreate the problem. At the very least, you should be able to see what is calling for a library scan.

Thanks. I haven't manually updated anything that I know of but I do see the occasional pop up in the bottom right hand corner about various add-ons being updated.

post #3250 of 3266 Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't manually updated anything that I know of but I do see the occasional pop up in the bottom right hand corner about various add-ons being updated.
I'd start with enabling debug logs in Kodi/XBMC and go from there.
post #3251 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Make sure you don't have a service or program addon named "library watchdog" installed

Some skins automate artwork downloader and other stuff to run on auto, and to be honest it's usually a pain to get them to stop. What skin are you running?
dropzone7 likes this.
post #3252 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Make sure you don't have a service or program addon named "library watchdog" installed

Some skins automate artwork downloader and other stuff to run on auto, and to be honest it's usually a pain to get them to stop. What skin are you running?

Thanks. I'm using the XBMC-Hub version of the Confluence skin. I did disable the default background picture but on bootup it shows the Gotham and XBMC-Hub logos for a few seconds so I'm not sure what all is different about their version. It very well may be trying to pull in artwork for things I don't even know I have. I have only been using XBMC/Kodi for a few months now so I'm still very new to it and it is overwhelming at times, especially trying to explain to my wife that there are so many different add-ons to watch the same content.

post #3253 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hey Guys, need your help. I just did a clean install of XBMC v13.2 and I cant seem to get dts-hd or True-hd to work on my htpc. When I was on 12.3 I had no issue with hd audio on any of my bluray movies. My htpc (Windows 7) is connected to my Denon AVR-S700W. I am using a intel 4000 for video and audio which has the latest drivers.

I have gone into the audio setting and selected "WASAPI: HDMI - Denon-AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio). " When this is select my denon will display "Multri +Dolby EX" instead of dts-hd or Dolby HD (True-hd) I also have tried setting it to "WASAPI default" On 12.3 WASAPI is what needed to get hd audio to work on XBMC. I am switching back and forth between 12.3 and 13.2 and hd-audio is working on 12.3 but not 13.2. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Last edited by dazz87; 09-16-2014 at 11:43 AM.
post #3254 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Have you switched the settings level to 'expert'? I think only then you can see the HD audio check boxes.
dazz87 and Dark_Slayer like this.
post #3255 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you switched the settings level to 'expert'? I think only then you can see the HD audio check boxes.
I don't recall which level, but that change in settings was such an asinine waste of time. Virtually every troubleshooting recommendation now includes "make sure to change your settings to expert"
post #3256 of 3266 Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't recall which level, but that change in settings was such an asinine waste of time. Virtually every troubleshooting recommendation now includes "make sure to change your settings to expert"
+1

This. Oh so much this.
post #3257 of 3266 Old 09-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It was introduced in Gotham. Their reasoning was that not everyone has advanced audio and video systems like we do here on AVS

I agree with you guys that it was a bad decision.
post #3258 of 3266 Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm using the XBMC-Hub version of the Confluence skin. I did disable the default background picture but on bootup it shows the Gotham and XBMC-Hub logos for a few seconds so I'm not sure what all is different about their version. It very well may be trying to pull in artwork for things I don't even know I have. I have only been using XBMC/Kodi for a few months now so I'm still very new to it and it is overwhelming at times, especially trying to explain to my wife that there are so many different add-ons to watch the same content.
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions! I did find something running under services similar to what you mentioned. There was the usual movie database service there and then something else (can't recall the name right now). I disabled that one and have not had an issue after that.

post #3259 of 3266 Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I have been reading about how to setup Live TV in XBMC. Looks like a major pain in the rear. All this time I thought that the "live" streams I was finding within the XBMC add-ons were what was meant by "live". I did not realize that the separate tab in the program for Live TV was for setting up channels and program guides, etc. I still don't understand how it all works but it looks like at the very least I would need some sort of USB TV tuner which I assume would work in whatever device you are using to run XBMC providing it has a USB port. I don't think I'm ready for that yet, makes my head hurt. My goal at the moment is moving from my FireTV running a side-loaded XBMC to maybe an Asus Chromebox running Openelec. I haven't found anything yet that handles 24p correctly, VC1 video and the rest of the video codecs for my BluRay ISO and BluRay MKV rips, HD Audio (DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc.) and updates my local movie library correctly. Every time I try to "update library" from within my movies share it completely crashes the FireTV out of XBMC. I can go in and manually add the movies artwork and it works just fine but who wants to do that.

post #3260 of 3266 Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Duh....in 12.3 there was no "expert level"......Thats why I kept thinking to myself why is the audio setting so limited on 13.2 vs 12.3. I found it and now its working. Thanks
post #3261 of 3266 Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow, I have been reading about how to setup Live TV in XBMC. Looks like a major pain in the rear. All this time I thought that the "live" streams I was finding within the XBMC add-ons were what was meant by "live". I did not realize that the separate tab in the program for Live TV was for setting up channels and program guides, etc. I still don't understand how it all works but it looks like at the very least I would need some sort of USB TV tuner which I assume would work in whatever device you are using to run XBMC providing it has a USB port. I don't think I'm ready for that yet, makes my head hurt. My goal at the moment is moving from my FireTV running a side-loaded XBMC to maybe an Asus Chromebox running Openelec. I haven't found anything yet that handles 24p correctly, VC1 video and the rest of the video codecs for my BluRay ISO and BluRay MKV rips, HD Audio (DTS-MA, TrueHD, etc.) and updates my local movie library correctly. Every time I try to "update library" from within my movies share it completely crashes the FireTV out of XBMC. I can go in and manually add the movies artwork and it works just fine but who wants to do that.
If you are purely interested in the free-streaming add-ons provided through xbmc-hub then live tv is probably of little consequence

IMO it works best with a dedicated server or server-htpc elsewhere in the house. A windows server makes it the easiest (W7 or W8, not WHS) since you can leverage the robust tuner and conflict management from wmc as well as the epg info from microsoft's licensing through zap2it. ServerWMC is the key in that case. For WHS, npvr is probably the easiest, and for linux you could go with myth -- non serverwmc solutions require $25/yr subscription for EPG from schedulesdirect or some hackity-workaround-grabber site

The reason a lot of us choose to integrate this is the control you have over a PVR. Whether OTA or cable, if you have signal it works. It doesn't matter have the same issue when one or one-hundred-thousand are watching at the same time. Sites like movreels and vidhog do have those issues, so a lot of times you are left with either very inferior quality or constant buffering. They are also typically a no-go for live news or live sports, and that's the prime market for the PVR features anyway
post #3262 of 3266 Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you are purely interested in the free-streaming add-ons provided through xbmc-hub then live tv is probably of little consequence

IMO it works best with a dedicated server or server-htpc elsewhere in the house. A windows server makes it the easiest (W7 or W8, not WHS) since you can leverage the robust tuner and conflict management from wmc as well as the epg info from microsoft's licensing through zap2it. ServerWMC is the key in that case. For WHS, npvr is probably the easiest, and for linux you could go with myth -- non serverwmc solutions require $25/yr subscription for EPG from schedulesdirect or some hackity-workaround-grabber site

The reason a lot of us choose to integrate this is the control you have over a PVR. Whether OTA or cable, if you have signal it works. It doesn't matter have the same issue when one or one-hundred-thousand are watching at the same time. Sites like movreels and vidhog do have those issues, so a lot of times you are left with either very inferior quality or constant buffering. They are also typically a no-go for live news or live sports, and that's the prime market for the PVR features anyway

Thanks for the excellent explanation. This convinces me that it's more than I want to get into. More hardware, subscriptions, maintenance, I don't mind a little work to get something setup but at this point in my life, my time is worth more and the frustration is something I don't need. We have done without cable for over 5 years now and have learned to live with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Redbox and my Bluray and DVD backups. The only thing we really miss (or my wife does) is the HGTV and TLC shows like House Hunters and all the design shows. When I started looking into XBMC it was purely for the interface and the ability to watch my local content streamed from my unRaid server. The online streaming stuff was just a bonus and opened up a whole new world of content I did not know even existed. I'm sure much of that stuff is illegal however. I have only scratched the surface of what is out there I'm sure. At this point, a good simple appliance type box to stream my movies the way I want using the XBMC/Kodi interface will make me happy. I'm tired of being an early adopter for every media player and streaming device out there. We have a Roku3 and a Mede8er 450X2 in the bedroom, a Dune Base 3.0 in the theater room and a FireTV and an Xbox 360 in the den. If the Chromebox works the way I hope it will then I may replace both the FireTV and the Mede8er with Chromeboxes. Come to think of it, I might even replace my Dune with one but the only thing that might hold me back there is the fact that the Dune is a full size component and looks better in the rack than a small box.

post #3263 of 3266 Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

There is an HGTV app in the official xbmc repository.
post #3264 of 3266 Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Come to think of it, I might even replace my Dune with one but the only thing that might hold me back there is the fact that the Dune is a full size component and looks better in the rack than a small box.
There are some very nice full-width HTPC cases out there that fit nicely on a rack and do so rather attractively.
post #3265 of 3266 Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
There are some very nice full-width HTPC cases out there that fit nicely on a rack and do so rather attractively.

Of course you are correct and I have seen those cases. The only problem is that by the time I purchase all the components to put together a capable HTPC, it no longer becomes an affordable, multi-room solution. I'm guessing $400-$500 at least by the time I buy a case, motherboard, processor, SSD drive, power supply, RAM, etc. That's fine for the home theater but I could buy 3 Chromeboxes for that price and have one in each setup in the house. One thing is certain, there are more choices than ever before and XBMC/Kodi is the interface I have always dreamed of for a home theater. With Openelec it appears that pretty much any competent PC could become a HTPC so I'm excited to perhaps move in that direction and away from the "box of the month" media player scene.

post #3266 of 3266 Old Today, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I did find something running under services similar to what you mentioned. There was the usual movie database service there and then something else (can't recall the name right now). I disabled that one and have not had an issue after that.

Quick update on this issue. I thought this was fixed but the next time I used the box had the same problem with the library trying to update and then crashing. I spent about an hour playing around with the settings and finally fixed it. It turns out that within my movie folder share there was a file called nmj_jukebox or nmj_database or something like that. I believe it was a leftover file from a brief period I spent with the Popcorn Hour A400 player. This file was the very first in my network share "movie" folder and I guess the scraper that runs in XBMC was confused by it and immediately crashed when trying to read it. I deleted this file and now the library has updated and added all my movie files with coverart as it should have been doing. Now when I start up the box it scans for updates very quickly and no issues at all. Duh! Can't believe I just let that file sit there all this time.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List