Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #3241 of 3246 Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
External storage for FTV requires root access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3246 Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
External storage for FTV requires root access.
I don't remember if I rooted the box when I got it or not. Is there a way to tell in the settings?
post #3243 of 3246 Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I am not sure. I lost the root with the latest Amazon update and didn't bother rooting again.

Here is the guide on how to root http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-root-the-amazon-fire-tv/

You need to sideload a few things like Towelroot, SuperSU, and a couple others.
post #3244 of 3246 Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Hello,

I'm new to the HTPC angle, not new to tech or PCs in general though...

I have an slightly older desktop that has been recently repurposed to the theater, it was originally built as a photography rig for my wife's business but last year she got a macbook and the portability serves her better with working between home and her studio. The desktop has:

• Core i5 2500 (Quad 3.3Ghz)
  • Asus MB
  • 16gig DDR3 Ram
  • Nvidia GT640 (Asus 2GB flavor) with HDMI to a Denon AVRS900W
  • SSD OS Drive
  • Wired on Gig Lan
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Media stored on a separate Windows 8.1 Pro machine that is serving as a file server using Storage Spaces (10 TB currently).
I re-purposed it mostly to run WMC with a HomeRunHD Prime. I am on Time Warner and most content is encrypted.

I recently picked up a 3D projector (Epson 5030UB) to replace my old projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am curious if XBMC is in a state to run 3D content? I currently use a popcorn hour (non 3D), but if I can get XBMC up and working I might prefer that than trying to find a box to replace the popcorn hour. I'd like to be somewhat simple for my wife to use. Right now the process of mounting an iso in Virtual Clone Drive, opening PowerDVD/TMT, dealing with mouse or no-mouse support on disc playback, ect, is non smooth.

Does XBMC handle 3D well? Limitations of 3D? I don't currently have a 3D library built up, but I'm flexible in going ISO/Bluray Folder/MKV. I'm currently doing MKV with my non-3D library. Does it work well using just a remote and launching movies, whether that movie is 3D, ISO, Raw Folders, MKV, ect? All of my movies will be Bluray sourced preserving original bitrates and HD audio.

I realize I might be asking a loaded question and that my answers lie in this thread, I'm just hoping to avoid spending 8 hours researching only to axe the idea and look elsewhere.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #3245 of 3246 Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the HTPC angle, not new to tech or PCs in general though...

I have an slightly older desktop that has been recently repurposed to the theater, it was originally built as a photography rig for my wife's business but last year she got a macbook and the portability serves her better with working between home and her studio. The desktop has:

• Core i5 2500 (Quad 3.3Ghz)
  • Asus MB
  • 16gig DDR3 Ram
  • Nvidia GT640 (Asus 2GB flavor) with HDMI to a Denon AVRS900W
  • SSD OS Drive
  • Wired on Gig Lan
  • Windows 8.1 Pro
  • Media stored on a separate Windows 8.1 Pro machine that is serving as a file server using Storage Spaces (10 TB currently).
I re-purposed it mostly to run WMC with a HomeRunHD Prime. I am on Time Warner and most content is encrypted.

I recently picked up a 3D projector (Epson 5030UB) to replace my old projector (Epson 8700UB) and I am curious if XBMC is in a state to run 3D content? I currently use a popcorn hour (non 3D), but if I can get XBMC up and working I might prefer that than trying to find a box to replace the popcorn hour. I'd like to be somewhat simple for my wife to use. Right now the process of mounting an iso in Virtual Clone Drive, opening PowerDVD/TMT, dealing with mouse or no-mouse support on disc playback, ect, is non smooth.

Does XBMC handle 3D well? Limitations of 3D? I don't currently have a 3D library built up, but I'm flexible in going ISO/Bluray Folder/MKV. I'm currently doing MKV with my non-3D library. Does it work well using just a remote and launching movies, whether that movie is 3D, ISO, Raw Folders, MKV, ect? All of my movies will be Bluray sourced preserving original bitrates and HD audio.

I realize I might be asking a loaded question and that my answers lie in this thread, I'm just hoping to avoid spending 8 hours researching only to axe the idea and look elsewhere.
You'll need to use an external player like TMT or Powerdvd for 3D. It works, but can be frustrating to setup. I ended up just using a mede8er 600X3D for 3D playback.

Looky here!
post #3246 of 3246 Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
You'll need to use an external player like TMT or Powerdvd for 3D. It works, but can be frustrating to setup. I ended up just using a mede8er 600X3D for 3D playback.
saved me those hours I was talking about...... Thanks...

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page