Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #3271 of 3291 Old 09-25-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So what, this is XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support thread.

My favorite toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3291 Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaSH- View Post
Your topic is about music scrape issues,
Nothing about video issues

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

The first three links I provided all describe issues with jerky video. Did you look at them?

B.
post #3273 of 3291 Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jerky playback can have different issues,
And allot of them are system or setting specific issues and could be for everyone different.
Also depending on which OS you're using and how connected.
I would suggest to open a fresh topic.
Give detailed description of your issue and your system and how connected.
and a Debug log

post #3274 of 3291 Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRaSH- View Post
Jerky playback can have different issues,
And allot of them are system or setting specific issues and could be for everyone different.
Also depending on which OS you're using and how connected.
I would suggest to open a fresh topic.
Give detailed description of your issue and your system and how connected.
and a Debug log

+1

There are way too many variables involved to even know where to begin without some sort of parameters for your set-up.
post #3275 of 3291 Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

People have done so and in the past nothing has come of it. The problems still persist. Many believe that it is related to Windows although the issues I've had with the music section were not present in 12, but are present in both 13 and 14.

No one wants to admit that a bug of some sort was introduced and there is a repeatable problem. I posted portions of the bug report that just shows the delay in process and nothing else.

In any case, I just switched to OpenElec and the video is now working great! In the years I've been using XBMC off and on I feel like I was never getting the full potential as I am now.

I only loaded 1/2 of my audio library, but so far the GUI delay I've reported is completely gone as well and everything is going smoothly.

The next step is to try and rein in my music library organization and tagging to optimize my use of the music library.

This is where there are no "how-to" guides and the wiki is poorly fleshed out in how to do this for certain 'special' situations.

I was ready to give up on XBMC again and I'm just glad that OpenElec exists and has been working well so far.

B.
post #3276 of 3291 Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Well openelec is just xbmc but on a lighter OS.
So no much different,
I think that the music library also changed from Frodo to Gotham.
Mainly it relies on proper music tagging,
While Frodo was much easier on it.
After making sure my music library was proper tagged according to the music brains library it worked.
On the forum there's a good explanation about how to setup Picard

post #3277 of 3291 Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, for me, a huge difference--one works and the other didn't!

"Proper" tagging is a bit subjective, but I guess if it has to be Music Brainz, then it has to be. I might just like it better not using MB.

B.
post #3278 of 3291 Old 11-11-2014, 03:41 AM

Half of my collection didn't show up when switching from Frodo to Gotham
After I tagged everything proper with the help of mb piccard everything showed up nice.

post #3279 of 3291 Old 11-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm just getting started here. I've decided XBMC will be my video watching program...maybe. Anyway, I ripped my first DVD with AnyDVD. It produced a Viedeo_TS folder. When I navigate to it, instead of a nice little movie icon, there's a stack of files that mean nothing to a non-geek. What gives there? I'm sure that's not acceptable.

Issue number 2, and this is a deal breaker. XBMC doesn't send Dolby or DTS to my AVR (Optical), even when I play from the physical disk. My AVR only show ProLogic. It shows full surround when I play both the physical disk and my ripped files on Windows Media Player. Let me head off some standard answers. WASAPI: SPDIF is chosen as the default. And when I click on the sound options when playing in XBMC, a surround format is chosen. But still I get ProLogic, which sucks at best.
post #3280 of 3291 Old 11-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Issue number 2 may be solved. I continued to search this string and found the change to 'Expert' in the settings. Wow! If you are going to do something like that, you should put flashing arrows and bells and whistles pointing this option out. I even had to fish around to find out how to change it...since all it took was a click, I did bang my palm against my head! Why hide these options anyhow?

Anyway, I changed the settings and as sson as my computer is finished ripping a dvd, I'll give it a shot.
post #3281 of 3291 Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorhor View Post
Issue number 2 may be solved. I continued to search this string and found the change to 'Expert' in the settings. Wow! If you are going to do something like that, you should put flashing arrows and bells and whistles pointing this option out. I even had to fish around to find out how to change it...since all it took was a click, I did bang my palm against my head! Why hide these options anyhow?

Anyway, I changed the settings and as sson as my computer is finished ripping a dvd, I'll give it a shot.
Not sure why they decided to go to the "settings level" thing in Gotham either. As far as ripping to VIDEO_TS or to iso, I guess people use either way, but I'm not sure what the advantage of one or the other is. I prefer to use the X264 encoder on DVD. It's true that I am going from one lossy format to another, so can only lose quality but I can't tell the difference and prefer the convenience of single, smaller files. I use Handbrake, or more precisely on Windows Vidcoder which is a frontend for Handbrake that I think is a bit easier to use.

Note that Kodi/XBMC uses ffmpeg to handle all the file decoding. I believe this is for multi-platform compatibility.

scott s.
post #3282 of 3291 Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
Not sure why they decided to go to the "settings level" thing in Gotham either. As far as ripping to VIDEO_TS or to iso, I guess people use either way, but I'm not sure what the advantage of one or the other is. I prefer to use the X264 encoder on DVD. It's true that I am going from one lossy format to another, so can only lose quality but I can't tell the difference and prefer the convenience of single, smaller files. I use Handbrake, or more precisely on Windows Vidcoder which is a frontend for Handbrake that I think is a bit easier to use.

Note that Kodi/XBMC uses ffmpeg to handle all the file decoding. I believe this is for multi-platform compatibility.

scott s.
Thanks Scott. Hawaii aye? We're on opposite ends of the US! Just to get my mind right, an iso is an exact copy isn't it? I suppose it is a large file, so other than that, what are the drawbacks of an iso? Do the players recognize them just like other files? If you have nothing better to do , what are the relative sizes of the goto file types?

Also, I was planning on tweaking some settings on KODI in the hopes of making one file show up for the couple of movies I have ripped (not far into the process, so going another direction is not a big deal.) Am I pissing in the wind trying this with the VIDEO_TS format because there's no way? You stated X264 would be a single file. Is an iso a single file also?
post #3283 of 3291 Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Thanks Scott. Hawaii aye? We're on opposite ends of the US! Just to get my mind right, an iso is an exact copy isn't it? I suppose it is a large file, so other than that, what are the drawbacks of an iso? Do the players recognize them just like other files? If you have nothing better to do , what are the relative sizes of the goto file types?

Also, I was planning on tweaking some settings on KODI in the hopes of making one file show up for the couple of movies I have ripped (not far into the process, so going another direction is not a big deal.) Am I pissing in the wind trying this with the VIDEO_TS format because there's no way? You stated X264 would be a single file. Is an iso a single file also?
More or less, yes keeping VIDEO_TS, BDMV folder rips, or ISO files is essentially pissing in the wind unless you have to have extras. In that case you also have to have PDVD or TMT. Since Arcsoft is out of the game that leaves PDVD. Either way you'll have some issue with Cinavia videos since they have to play by the rules as licensed players

The more straightforward route is just to rip your discs (or your existing folder structures and isos) into MKV files. 1:1 video and audio quality, and easily done for free with the multi-platform MakeMKV

The other benefit to going MKV is if you ever want to transcode to tablets/smartphones/or-outside-the-lan with Plex or MB3. This won't be pretty with iso or folder rips

If you have the files sitting around already stored (not on discs) then you can run them through Handbrake to get an x264 compressed video as well. This saves on file space and lowers your quality. It's an often debated topic of how much quality loss can be "perceived" in your environment with your eyes and your display. I personally just keep everything 1:1 in an MKV (main movie only, hd audio+nested audio track, and english subs)
post #3284 of 3291 Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm just getting started here. I've decided XBMC will be my video watching program...maybe. Anyway, I ripped my first DVD with AnyDVD. It produced a Viedeo_TS folder. When I navigate to it, instead of a nice little movie icon, there's a stack of files that mean nothing to a non-geek. What gives there? I'm sure that's not acceptable.
You shouldn't be navigating to it. You need to scan your library and then it will be under your movies section (with a poster for the film) and you can just play it.

B.
post #3285 of 3291 Old 12-02-2014, 06:36 AM

I went back and redid my library and used Media Center Master to neaten up my library and add the good stuff. Now it's working fine except for one thing. Since I've just started experimenting with my new toy, I've begun recording OTA using WMC then taking out commercials with MCEBuddy. So far I have some Perry Mason and some America's Test Kitchen. 'TV' on XBMC shows Perry Mason fine, but not ATK. I can dig down into the video files and find it, so I'm confused as to why XBMC sees the files but doesn't treat them the same as Perry Mason.

The file structures appear to be the same. Now here's probably some info that will trigger the mandarins of AV to pinpoint the problem. MCM found Perry Mason and added all the good stuff. It didn't find ATK. (BTW, it shows up on IMDB, so I don't know why MCM won't pick it up.) Anyway, ATK file structure is the same as Perry Mason as per AssassinHTPC's recommendations. Both PM and ATK file folders are under the same folder I have XBMC set up to scan for TV shows.

Any ideas?
post #3286 of 3291 Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you add the TV show to MCM? If yes, then did you update all the file info/rename the files from the tabs on the right in MCM?

B.
post #3287 of 3291 Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
FYI, for any XBMC (now Kodi) users running the wmc.pvr back end with an HDHomerun Prime, there is now an option to directly stream to the Kodi client via DLNA. That means much faster channel changes and no temporary stream files being written. You do give up the option to record the stream on the fly, but that's a trade-off I can live with.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #3288 of 3291 Old 12-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Guys
spent about 6 hours yesterday installing xbmc as well as all addons. I was trying to make sense of it all.
I noticed one thing immediately that the quality of all feeds is in horrible low definition.

For a simple test, go to you tube and download a 4k video clip, there's many. These clips play in full resolution on an 4k monitor or 4k tv.
I then went and played the same video clips on the you tube on xbmc, and they were all in 480p???

I have set xbmc to play at least 1920x1080, and also the you tube app on xbmc can be right clicked and resolution changed.

I do not need xbmc, since I primarily use Xfinity, Apple tv, and Netflix. But was wondering why anyone would watch horrible 480p although it's free?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4k in 480p.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	420249  
post #3289 of 3291 Unread Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Hello XBMC experts. I tried the software and it works great. Got some questions though.
1. I have my library of titles only in "my movies 5". I'm trying to migrate/export them to XBMC. Is this possible? And how?
2. I'm going to have to use a remote control to use it better. I was thinking I-rule or something along those lines. Whats the popular choice. I built a htpc just this week and not sure how to obtain the remote function for a computer.
3. I use makemkv4 to copy my movie and handbrake to convert it. The picture quality was phenomenal, however I have black bars on the sides of the screen as well as top and bottom. I can accept the usual ones but the sides bars make the picture smaller. What did I do wrong? What settings did I goof up?

Much thanks in advance,

Big ave
post #3290 of 3291 Unread Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick question - Running Gotham .2, with MQ5.

I would like set it up so that my header of foreign films automatically enables subtitles, but not under my other headers like TV / HD Movies / Concerts, etc

Under the section, it allows me to set universally, but not by each header type. Anyone else doing something similar?
post #3291 of 3291 Unread Today, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I have this issue I've been looking at for the past week or so;

I want to run XBMC (been doing so for a while, I'm familiar with the software) but with SVP to interpolate images and getting smoother playback. This is supposed to be done by using the XBMC (or as of yesterday Kodi) DSPlayer release which can be found in the XBMC forums.

However, I cannot get it to work properly, I've set up LAV-filters and FFDShow according to the instructions on the SVP wiki.

The problem is that the movie/video clip is not played in the Kodi window, but a new window called "ActiveMovie Window" pops up. In that window however, the movie plays perfectly with SVP active and smoothing the playback.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the ActiveMovie window so I get the movie to play in the Kodi window, but with SVP integrated?
Any suggestions much appreciated!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page