AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm toying with the idea of building a XBMC system (probably using an AMD Fusion ITX board) to replace a Popcorn Hour C200. How does XBMC currently stack up on the following issues?
  1. HD Audio bitstreaming. I understand it is on the way. Will it require a specific combination of Windows/Linux and Nvidia/AMD graphics to work?
Windows 7 is your best bet. You need the correct hardware which would need to be one the following:

- Clarkdale/Sandy Bridge platform
- AMD 5XXX or 6XXX GPU
- NVidia 430 or 450 GPU

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
1) This is on the way. In about 1 week Tiben will finish the DSCodec build that allows the usage of ffdshow audio decoder for bitstreaming. And yes, it requires Windows and a compatible GPU (Ati HD5xxx/6xxx series graphics card, Nvidia GT430, Intel HD Graphics or the new Zacate All-in-one chipsets from AMD (or Fusion). A native implementation without the usage of ffdshow will be implemented in XBMC upon the next release, Eden, but that will take some time (months). Will work on Windows and Linux (and Live) (no use for it under OS X, since there is not mac with a HD audio bitstreaming capable GPU atm)

2)Works fine

3)Works fine

4)Yes it does have that option

5)Don`t know, what usage would that have?

6)Not sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #453 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
or the new Zacate All-in-one chipsets from AMD (or Fusion).
Here is a good writeup of the new AMD platform:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4134/t...on-for-miniitx

Cheers,
Damian

post #454 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks for the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Windows 7 is your best bet. You need the correct hardware which would need to be one the following:

- Clarkdale/Sandy Bridge platform
- AMD 5XXX or 6XXX GPU
- NVidia 430 or 450 GPU

My plan is to go for low power. Hence the choice of AMD Fusion which should be fine for bitstreaming given the 6-series graphics.

I do have a spare copy of Win7 but my current reasoning is that keeping things as light weight as possible by avoiding the need to boot a full windows installation would be of benifit on Net-top class hardware (Zacate).

I'm after a set-top-box like experience (to keep the wife happy) with as fast a boot time as possible. Which is why I was thinking of XBMC Live.

Quote:

1) This is on the way. In about 1 week Tiben will finish the DSCodec build that allows the usage of ffdshow audio decoder for bitstreaming. And yes, it requires Windows and a compatible GPU (Ati HD5xxx/6xxx series graphics card, Nvidia GT430, Intel HD Graphics or the new Zacate All-in-one chipsets from AMD (or Fusion). A native implementation without the usage of ffdshow will be implemented in XBMC upon the next release, Eden, but that will take some time (months). Will work on Windows and Linux (and Live) (no use for it under OS X, since there is not mac with a HD audio bitstreaming capable GPU atm)

2)Works fine

3)Works fine

4)Yes it does have that option

5)Don`t know, what usage would that have?

6)Not sure

5) Resolution switching would enable unscaled video to be fed to an external scaler (DVDO Edge).

6) Damian: As a WHS guru do you have any ideas on Wake-on-LAN? With Windows I could just stick lights out on it. Are there any options for a Linux/Live installation that wouldn't tax a Linux noob too hard?
post #455 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

Nitro67 what you built is above and beyond what I think he is looking for, in either a MediaSmart server or custom built. Hot swap bays and hot swap power supply in a rack mountable case is a bit advanced for someone looking for a low cost option

Jimmyjones if you're interested in building your own go to the unRaid site for different build models. As I stated, you can build a low cost box for about $250 before adding hard drives. Depending on what drives you pick will dictate the cost beyond that. The cases that get recommended are meant for storage so they'll have a lot of drive bays for 3.5HDD so they'll easily support more than 4 drives, which the MediaSmart servers can't. The hot-swappable bays are nice and can really come in handy but they're not essential with your initial build. Also look in the main forum section as someone did a really awesome job of explaining the process of setting up an unRaid box so I'm sure he'll answer any of your questions.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

Frankspin, I have built below that and ran out of hard disk space on 8TB PC, very similar to what you just suggested. I would recommend hot swap bays, now though. Raid can be option in the future. Chenbro has an 8 hot swap bay case that would fit his needs and budget. http://www.chenbro.com/corporatesite...615359e2eb7778 (Now this one has 2 different power supply options, and it is around 130 us, but you need to by the hot swap bays separate) They have other models with 4 drives, but the key is to find a case that offers you expandability in the future. Why the hot swap bays? Well, the main reason is do you want to take it apart each time, you expand the case. Blu-rays will fill a hard drive quickly. Been there and done that, but now I just use a changer. Well, you can rip the video easy, but playing back the audio is a challenge.

Jeff

Do I need t do anything to these boxes other than adding the drives ?
post #456 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

6) Damian: As a WHS guru do you have any ideas on Wake-on-LAN? With Windows I could just stick lights out on it. Are there any options for a Linux/Live installation that wouldn't tax a Linux noob too hard?

Honestly I don't use Linux so I have never looked into any sort of WOL solutions

Cheers,
Damian

post #457 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
i cant wait for bitstreaming!!! i can't for the life of me get mpc-hc to work for me!
post #458 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

5) Resolution switching would enable unscaled video to be fed to an external scaler (DVDO Edge).

I too would very, very much like such a feature.
post #459 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many thanks for the answers.

My plan is to go for low power. Hence the choice of AMD Fusion which should be fine for bitstreaming given the 6-series graphics.

I do have a spare copy of Win7 but my current reasoning is that keeping things as light weight as possible by avoiding the need to boot a full windows installation would be of benifit on Net-top class hardware (Zacate).

I'm after a set-top-box like experience (to keep the wife happy) with as fast a boot time as possible. Which is why I was thinking of XBMC Live.

Instead of shutting down the computer, use sleep mode. It takes 1 second, faster than ANY cold boot of ANY operating sistem (even the lightest Linux distros). Even on XBMC Live, Sleep is faster than booting from cold, and gives you a "set-top-box" experience.
I`ll need to look at the the resolution based on content issue this weekend and get back at you.

If it doesn`t work, you can always use ffdshow with the lancoz resizer to get vey good upscaling for SD content

post #460 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Ok. I've decided to go the XBMC route as opposed to the WM7 route. Not even sure it makes a difference but what software are you guys using to rip your dvds to the htpc? I have a moderate dvd collection and a much smaller blu ray collection that I want to rip and put on my htpc. I've been reading a bit outside this forum where people have compared dvdfab to anydvd. I guess these two are at the top of the chain?

I would like to buy one ripper that can handle both dvds and blu rays. I would also like for you guys to chime in on file types to rip to, and a few advantages/disadvantages to different file types.

Finally, I don't have the htpc yet but was thinking of ripping some dvds to my current pc and transferring them over to htpc once its set up; are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Any information and/or suggestions much appreciated...
post #461 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I use AnyDVD HD plus Another EAC3to GUI to rip to MKV. Then, I use MPC-HC as an external player from XBMC. If you want to play the Blu-ray, complete with menus and special features, you can rip to ISO with Any DVD HD and then play the media using Total Media Theater.
post #462 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post

I use AnyDVD HD plus Another EAC3to GUI to rip to MKV. Then, I use MPC-HC as an external player from XBMC. If you want to play the Blu-ray, complete with menus and special features, you can rip to ISO with Any DVD HD and then play the media using Total Media Theater.

Jab,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the trial version of anydvd. It seems to have loaded but it isn't doing anything. How do I get it to rip the dvd?

Sorry for my ignorance...
post #463 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM

All I get is a message saying anydvd is scanning the disc, please wait. And then I wait and wait and wait, but nothing happens to start any ripping process.
post #464 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Is it that anydvd does not rip by itself, I need another program to run with it in order to rip?
post #465 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post

Is it that anydvd does not rip by itself, I need another program to run with it in order to rip?

Anydvd comes with a separate ripper. Start>Programs>slysoft folder> Anydvd ripper. Probably a good time to create a shortcut on the desktop.

BTW, there is an iso ripper and a ripper that will create the BD folder structure on your hard drive. I have been using the latter and XBMC has been playing them ok

post #466 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue View Post

Anydvd comes with a separate ripper. Start>Programs>slysoft folder> Anydvd ripper. Probably a good time to create a shortcut on the desktop.

BTW, there is an iso ripper and a ripper that will create the BD folder structure on your hard drive. I have been using the latter and XBMC has been playing them ok

YOU ARE A GEM!!! It looks to be working now!!
post #467 of 3276 Old 01-28-2011, 06:22 PM

[quote=Nitro67;19913139]
Quote:

Finally, I don't have the htpc yet but was thinking of ripping some dvds to my current pc and transferring them over to htpc once its set up; are there any disadvantages to doing this?/QUOTE]

In the past, I had an HTPC hooked up next to my receiver. It works fine and I was transferring it from my main pc to the HTPC. Transfer speed was slow, so I started filling hard drives and then moving them over. Although, that meant ripping the HTPC apart each time. Biggest disadvantage of HTPC near the receiver is noise. Well, my Zalman fan worked great in the past.

Although, now I have switched to a new way. I have built a huge server that will be in the basment. I just use a long HDMI cable (bluejeans cable) to the receiver. The server will have Wake on Lan, but I use Control4. http://c4central.com/2011/01/26/wake...-via-control4/ Well, I don't plan to do Blu-ray, because I have a changer. There is a XMBC driver that one of the dealers wrote for Control4.

Jeff

Nitro,

I ultimately want to do a server as well. In fact, your set up sounds a lot like what I had been contemplating. I was all set to get a sony 400 disc blu ray changer with control4 and then saw xbmc setups on youtube and really like the interface. I have a larger dvd collection than blu ray, but lately I've been buying everything in blu ray and no longer buy dvds. I do rent dvds but just don't buy them. I want to build the server after I finish the htpc. Why did you decide to go the changer route? Do you like the set up? Are you able to integrate the dvd and blu ray library into one interface with control4?
post #468 of 3276 Old 01-29-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

A simpler solution (with less options, but easier to set-up) is Make MKV

post #469 of 3276 Old 01-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Instead of shutting down the computer, use sleep mode. It takes 1 second, faster than ANY cold boot of ANY operating sistem (even the lightest Linux distros). Even on XBMC Live, Sleep is faster than booting from cold, and gives you a "set-top-box" experience.
I`ll need to look at the the resolution based on content issue this weekend and get back at you.

If it doesn`t work, you can always use ffdshow with the lancoz resizer to get vey good upscaling for SD content

Is there a way to put the system into sleep mode while still in xbmc or do you have to exit out, then sleep?

Thanks
post #470 of 3276 Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
setup a keystroke combo for sleep modE
post #471 of 3276 Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Clue View Post

That is strange, because I have been using AnyDVD for years, and all it does is remove encryption, copy protection plus a bunch of other similar things but it does not rip for you.

I bought the companion software CloneDVD which rips DVD's.

Once you have AnyDVD installed, you can use just about any ripping software to rip your DVD's

post #472 of 3276 Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Does XBMC have issues recognizing iso files ? I have one and it does not seem to see it.
post #473 of 3276 Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 View Post
That is strange, because I have been using AnyDVD for years, and all it does is remove encryption, copy protection plus a bunch of other similar things but it does not rip for you.

I bought the companion software CloneDVD which rips DVD's.

Once you have AnyDVD installed, you can use just about any ripping software to rip your DVD's
After removing copy protection, Right click the program icon and up pops an additional menu including rip video dvd to hard drive AND rip to image. i didn't know this either until a few weeks ago so.......
post #474 of 3276 Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
After removing copy protection, Right click the program icon and up pops an additional menu including rip video dvd to hard drive AND rip to image. i didn't know this either until a few weeks ago so.......
I stand corrected, this must be something they added on.

Since I already have cloneDVD I never thought to see what else ANYDVD could do.

Funny they do not even mention this on there website.

Good to know though

post #475 of 3276 Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 PM

I have this strange problem, when playing DTS 5.1 WAV audio file, XBMC would decode it to multichannel PCM but the issue is the right surround has no sound ....
post #476 of 3276 Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM

jimjimmyjones85:
Yes XBMC plays ISO's. see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...t_Can_it_Do%3F.
post #477 of 3276 Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 AM

It plays DVD ISO's. Looks like unencrypted Bluray is on the roadmap for 11.0. (4 weeks)

Wuench

post #478 of 3276 Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Any ideas why my set-up is not picking it up ?
post #479 of 3276 Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Hard to say. Mine worked right away, in fact they worked better in XBMC than TMT5.

Do you see any messages in your XMBC log file?

Wuench

post #480 of 3276 Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuench View Post

It plays DVD ISO's. Looks like unencrypted Bluray is on the roadmap for 11.0. (4 weeks)

is that with full menu support?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page