XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #631 of 3235 Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding the first issue, make sure you don't have 'use IMDB ratings' selected in XBMC. I believe it will use that instead of the .nfo file.

Your second issue, I don't know. I got away from VIDEO_TS folders. I found them to be a pain so I do all my rips in mkv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3235 Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM

Well these are just older movies I haven't put the effort in of downloading them again. I guess I can do that..

Regarding the first issue, it's not that it pulls ratings off the net. It actually reads the movie.nfo file however in the file rating is given by for example 8,8 instead of 8.8. Changing the , to a . solves the problem. Refreshing the movie gives the correct rating. However I'm not up for fixing all movie.nfos individually...
post #633 of 3235 Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Since switching to XBMC I have had zero problems to date with playback. A few issues with subtitles that I fixed by going back to an older theme and making a selection. I love the product. I try to do just the right amount with it, not get too crazy yet, but I am happy with it.
post #634 of 3235 Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 PM

I haven't seen any mention of DDS fanart in the thread so far. We really should discuss this, especially those of us using lower powered systems (Atom, Zacate, et el).

I managed to crash my SSD while dealing with some RAM issues I was having (I killed the power after my display wouldn't sync up with HTPC - an HDMI handshake issue I'm guessing - and corrupted my install). Having gone through and re-installed everything, I had the opportunity to compare the performance of XBMC with and with out DDS fanart enabled back to back. It makes a huge difference.

With out it the system (ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe[Zacate], 2GB RAM, SSD) runs pretty smooth, but there is that little bit of lag between when you scroll to a new movie and when the fanart actually loads. It's not a huge delay - generally just a fraction of a second - and you might not even notice it most of the time. But once you enable DDS fanart, the difference is night and day. Fanart loads INSTANTLY. Basically, when you enable this feature, your fanart is converted to a texture file and the GPU loads it instead of the CPU loading the .jpeg file. Useful for those systems packing slower CPUs.

There are only three downsides that I can see:

First is quality. The DDS format does not have the same quality as a high quality JPEG file. However, in the side by side comparison of DDS vs JPEG I saw on the XBMC forums I could not actually detect the difference. So if you can't tell the difference when you have the two images side-by-side and are looking for them, I highly doubt you will notice when it's loaded in the background and you have movie info overlayed on top of it.

Second is file size. A 1080P DDS is approximately 1 MB (1013 KB to be exact - it appears to be constant), where as the JPEG was in the range of 500-700 KB I believe. So an increase of 50-100%. The file size is still small enough that I don't consider it a real issue, but it is worth mentioning.

Lastly is CPU usage. Once converted, fanart will be offloaded to the GPU. However in order to convert to the DDS format, the CPU has to do some heavy lifting - not the strong suit of the Atom nor Zacate. This only has to be done once per image, but in the case of my 1.6 GHz E350 it takes 1-2 minutes per image to do the conversion, and pegs the CPU at 90-100% while it makes the conversion. I only have about 30 Blu-rays on my HTPC, and I'd guess it will probably take about an hour to do all the conversions. From there on out, I will only need to do it once for each new movie I add. But obviously there is still a short term performance performance hit, you will probably want to wait until you have the opportunity to let the process run over night if you have a larger Blu-ray collection. There is also a process to do a batch conversion with some tool that you could use to do the conversion on your desktop, but I haven't spent much time looking into it.

So, how do you enable DDS fanart? You will need to edit (or create) "advancedsettings.xml" in your userdata folder, and add the following(case sensitive):

Code:

true
The UserData folder can be found at C:\\Users\\[username]\\AppData\\Roaming\\XBMC\\userdata

You may have to enable hidden files and folders to find the AppData folder.

IBEW Local 1643
post #635 of 3235 Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesasone View Post

I haven't seen any mention of DDS fanart in the thread so far. We really should discuss this, especially those of us using lower powered systems (Atom, Zacate, et el)...

Thanks for this. I've actually been planning to enable DDS fanart on my ION/Atom system - does XBMC automatically convert all your images the first time you load it up after editing advancedsettings.xml?

Also, I keep all my images inside each individual movie folder - will this option create a new file, or is it held in the XBMC database somewhere?
post #636 of 3235 Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

XBMC will do the conversion the first time it loads the images, so you will have to scroll through your movie collection to load the images and get the conversion rolling. Obviously if you have a large collection, this could be cumbersome so you may want to try the tool for doing a batch conversion - the info is over on the official XBMC forums (somewhere).

I'm not sure how it works when you have your images stored in the folders with your movies - this is something I've been meaning to set up but haven't gotten around to yet. But in the case that you just let XBMC do it's thing and scrape/store the data in it's default fashion, you can find the files here:

userdata(as before)\\Thumbnails\\Movies\\Fanart

I'll set up XBMC to store the data with the movie and report back with how it goes.

IBEW Local 1643
post #637 of 3235 Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Can't get Netflix to work. I was never asked to activate the device. Uninstalling does not fix this, I get a generic plugin error message.
post #638 of 3235 Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
oh how long its been... xbmc ever get their bitstreaming workin or what!?
post #639 of 3235 Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

So is it possible to put an ISO of a dvd in the tv section of xbmc and have it recognize it as if I put single episodes in there? I want the look/quality/extras of the dvd but I want all the season and episode info displayed.

Or is the only way to read iso tv series in the movies section, I can't even get it to recognize it in the tv section. I can put the name of the series and put the ISO in that folder and it will recognize the name of the series but not the ISO. Is the the only way the tv section recognizes info to label it F:\\TV\\Title\\season\\episode?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #640 of 3235 Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

So is it possible to put an ISO of a dvd in the tv section of xbmc and have it recognize it as if I put single episodes in there? I want the look/quality/extras of the dvd but I want all the season and episode info displayed.

Or is the only way to read iso tv series in the movies section, I can't even get it to recognize it in the tv section. I can put the name of the series and put the ISO in that folder and it will recognize the name of the series but not the ISO. Is the the only way the tv section recognizes info to label it F:\\TV\\Title\\season\\episode?

I never heard of this being possible. Be cool if it was.... what if dvd's are ripped to folders (vob files)?
post #641 of 3235 Old 03-25-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

Yes its possible. You, must title the disc with every episode on the disc.I'll look for an example to help you out.
post #642 of 3235 Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I'll set up XBMC to store the data with the movie and report back with how it goes.

Thanks for the info. Don't mess your system up for me - I'm going to be doing this at some point anyway, so I'll report back on how it works. I only ask because I use Ember Media Manager to grab my fanart / posters / nfos at the moment.
post #643 of 3235 Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post

Thanks for the info. Don't mess your system up for me - I'm going to be doing this at some point anyway, so I'll report back on how it works. I only ask because I use Ember Media Manager to grab my fanart / posters / nfos at the moment.

I'm using EMM too with info stored in movie folders. Have set useddsfanart to true and not noticed any improvement in speed so unless there's something else I that needs doing I guess it might not work. Any findings would be appreciated. Originally using 10.0 release, installed nightly build from yesterday to test too. Same result - no change.
post #644 of 3235 Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r16hdj View Post

I'm using EMM too with info stored in movie folders. Have set useddsfanart to true and not noticed any improvement in speed so unless there's something else I that needs doing I guess it might not work. Any findings would be appreciated. Originally using 10.0 release, installed nightly build from yesterday to test too. Same result - no change.

Is there a possibility that the images stored in your movie folders override those in the XBMC database and therefore the dds format fanarts are not being used?
post #645 of 3235 Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

It certainly works since I am using it myself.

You may want to doublecheck the XBMC wiki as that's where I got the info from. It's possible there is a typo in my post.

You don't specify what hardware you are using. You might not see much, if any difference depending on your CPU. Systems with weaker CPUs (like Atom, Zacate) are going to see more benefit than systems with an i3/5/7/etc. Did you verify that the images in your fanart folder were converted to .dds files?

IBEW Local 1643
post #646 of 3235 Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 AM

any idea how to view .nrg file? im using dsplayer
post #647 of 3235 Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:

It certainly works since I am using it myself.

You may want to doublecheck the XBMC wiki as that's where I got the info from. It's possible there is a typo in my post.

You don't specify what hardware you are using. You might not see much, if any difference depending on your CPU. Systems with weaker CPUs (like Atom, Zacate) are going to see more benefit than systems with an i3/5/7/etc. Did you verify that the images in your fanart folder were converted to .dds files?

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Atom hence the need to speed things up. Xbmc was creating dds images in userdata but load speed didn't seem to be increasing.

Along with various other minor issues i decided last night to dump windows 7 in favour of ubuntu. I'm seeing vast speed improvements already.
post #648 of 3235 Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

any idea how to view .nrg file? im using dsplayer

Mount it using powerISO. Or stop using Nero to create NRG images. Create ISO instead.
post #649 of 3235 Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Mount it using powerISO. Or stop using Nero to create NRG images. Create ISO instead.

I know it can mount using poweriso or daemon but how does XBMC recognize it and play it inside the dsplayer instead?
post #650 of 3235 Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Update: Long-winded, uninformed message replaced

I'm having a problem scraping the original anime series, Mobile Suit Gundam.

I had no luck debugging, but I just discovered I didn't have the Debug level
set for the log. With debugging enabled, I've found more information about
the cause. I'll try a better question a little later.
post #651 of 3235 Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Update: Long-winded, uninformed message replaced

I'm having a problem scraping the original anime series, Mobile Suit Gundam.

I had no luck debugging, but I just discovered I didn't have the Debug level
set for the log. With debugging enabled, I've found more information about
the cause. I'll try a better question a little later.

A simple solution that I've founded is to search for the problem show on TheTVDb in a browser and see what pops out. I then rename the show according to the result of my search.

And for anime show, sometime you have to go with the japanese name. A quick search on anidb.net can give you this, or better yet, you can also use the anidb.net plugin for your meta search.

Alain Menard
www.lacrimosae.net
post #652 of 3235 Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Atom hence the need to speed things up. Xbmc was creating dds images in userdata but load speed didn't seem to be increasing.

Along with various other minor issues i decided last night to dump windows 7 in favour of ubuntu. I'm seeing vast speed improvements already.

If you are looking for xbmc performance for your ion, you might want to try openelec. it is xbmc, just packaged up with a embedded linux distribution so it is lightweight and pre tuned for performance on your ION.

I have 2 atom boxes (ion & ion2) systems running it. each has only 1G of ram, a 8g flash stick in the USB port with no hard drives and a wmc remote reciever, I dont need drives because all my media is on a smb server and the USB stick is fine for all the local library data and images. openelec has been pre-tuned with things like useddsfanart on, and it is still linux so if you need to get to the os you can, just all the other stuff not needed for a xbmc media box is not installed. So if you don't need the overhead of a full user environment, why load it? fyi, I also have a win7 xbmc setup.

I was amazed how well openelec worked, you just create a usb flash boot that is used to create a xbmc client, then you slap that into your box with a blank usb drive or hard drive and it just installs linux and xbmc for you, reboot and you have a running xbmc platform. I did have to ssh in and tweek a couple of config files to make the HDMI audio work correctly on each box but that is documented on the openelec site. It runs rather fast, I am using aeon mq2 with all the addons on both systems, and it is rather fluid, it seems to run about the same as it does on my quad core win 7 xbmc setup. I use the windows system for any media ripping for example and the openelec boxes are in the theater and living rooms. I have a atv2 box sitting here waiting to get xbmc on it for the bedroom, but now I wish I just bought another ion box. I have a boxee box in there right now, it is ok but not nice as the openelec boxes.

My next plan is to eliminate the need for usb drives and use pxe for net booting (no local storage, just ram and cpu in each xbmc client), and when I get the time eventual set up a mysql server environment so I can have a central library database so I am not doing occasional cleanup on each box when something gets incorrectly categorized.
post #653 of 3235 Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmoore View Post

If you are looking for xbmc performance for your ion, you might want to try openelec. it is xbmc, just packaged up with a embedded linux distribution so it is lightweight and pre tuned for performance on your ION.

Thanks for the detail. I'm using xbmc live which i guess is along similar lines to the openelec build you mention. Are there any differences between the two that anyone is aware of?
post #654 of 3235 Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the detail. I'm using xbmc live which i guess is along similar lines to the openelec build you mention. Are there any differences between the two that anyone is aware of?

Yep, it is basically the same thing, I think it is just a tuned to be more of an appliance model. Other than that I think think they are basically the same. The way I look at it is, these openelec guys just did the work of cleaning up the linux distribution to be just what is required to support XBMC and then tightened up the config for performance. Which is exactly what I was looking for at the client side. I have other servers that are doing things like ripping, SMB, sabnsbd and sickbeard, the HTPCs are just doing the presentation work and accessing the network share. From an xbmc perspective, everything I was doing on the windows version of xbmc is working on the openelec version.

On the foxcon nt330i system it takes ~20 seconds from the start of the linux boot to the xbmc / aeon main menu screen, and that is off a usb stick. I never tried the standard xbmc live disto, I was originality just running the windows version of xbmc, but when I was ready to build the xbmc appliances I ran across openelec and it just worked.

here is what openelec says:

XBMC-Live is distributed by the XBMC-Team. It's based on Ubuntu, which means that it comes with all the Ubuntu software. In essence, you're running a full Ubuntu install, but without a display manager. Since Ubuntu strives to support many hardware platforms, it has to include drivers and firmware for many systems, making it slow to boot. Also, Ubuntu comes with many services which are required on a full desktop/server, but aren't required for a media center. These also slow down the boot process and take up valuable resources on the machine.

http://openelec.tv/home/what-is-openelec
post #655 of 3235 Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Anyone having audio issues since upgrading to 10.1? I am now getting a lot of "Failure to initiate audio. Please check your audio settings.". Never got these messages before but now it is common. Any advice?
post #656 of 3235 Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post

Anyone having audio issues since upgrading to 10.1? I am now getting a lot of "Failure to initiate audio. Please check your audio settings.". Never got these messages before but now it is common. Any advice?

How do you output your audio currently? Which device is set to output audio in XBMCs settings? Are you connected to a reciever or straight to the TV?
post #657 of 3235 Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post

How do you output your audio currently? Which device is set to output audio in XBMCs settings? Are you connected to a reciever or straight to the TV?

This is just playing it on my laptop (not outputting to anything). Video/Audio will play fine in WMC/Media Browser.
post #658 of 3235 Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc
Disable the fade between songs option in music settings.
post #659 of 3235 Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Hey guys I have an interesting situation. I just bought an ASUS ENGT430 to hook up my desktop to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver via HDMI that's going out to my Samsung LNA450 TV also via HDMI. I can play any video on VLC fine and everything goes through with sound and no stuttering with HD full screen-- super happy about that. But for some reason soem videos won't play in XBMC-- my TV goes blank and says "This display mode is not supported." These same videos play fine when I'm not in XBMC, and in fact, when I have the XBMC menu up the videos are playing fine behind the menu and displaying. So what gives?

I was originally thinking this was an HDCP issue but since the video plays in VLC that doesn't seem likely to be the case.
post #660 of 3235 Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmelody
Hey guys I have an interesting situation. I just bought an ASUS ENGT430 to hook up my desktop to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver via HDMI that's going out to my Samsung LNA450 TV also via HDMI. I can play any video on VLC fine and everything goes through with sound and no stuttering with HD full screen-- super happy about that. But for some reason soem videos won't play in XBMC-- my TV goes blank and says "This display mode is not supported." These same videos play fine when I'm not in XBMC, and in fact, when I have the XBMC menu up the videos are playing fine behind the menu and displaying. So what gives?

I was originally thinking this was an HDCP issue but since the video plays in VLC that doesn't seem likely to be the case.
I had a similar issue and I resolved it by going into settings>video>playback and try turning on or off the "adjust display rate to match video" and "sync playback to display". The names of the setting titles might be a little different depending on wich skin you use.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page