post #901 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarm View Post

I just built a new HTPC using the Brazos platform. I works great for playing media! But the CPU sure gets hammered displaying the home screen (or any other time there is a static image). I understand the reason behind this. The fact that XBMC was originally designed for a game console and had to redraw the screen @ 60FPS.

Does anyone know if the Eden release will change this?

It's strange that I use more power to display the home screen then I do when I play a 1080P video!

Bugs are still being worked out on the dirty region support, so i won`t advise you to turn it on yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, for those of you using Aeon MQ, the developer, Marcos has gotten to the alpha stage of MQ3, the skin has been cut down to 59MB (from 200MB) and should be a lot faster on low powered machines like Zacate or Atom/ION.
post #903 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

And for thos looking into Open ELEC but have AMD Fusion hardware, development on this platform has progressed a lot, and it`s getting ready for prime time. : http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/

I`ve tested the latest build on my Zacate and playback was smooth, only issue was regarding my Cisco wireless USB dongle.
post #904 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

I`ve tested the latest build on my Zacate and playback was smooth, only issue was regarding my Cisco wireless USB dongle.

This is interesting. Can you explain what do you mean by the word "smooth"?
Some questions please:

1. Is Vaapi working?
2. How about stuttering/dropped frames/tearing?
3. Did you try a lot of files (1080p, 720p, VC1 etc)
4. Audio Bit streaming, is it ok?
5. And last are there any bugs?

Sorry for the many questions, but if this project works perfect (Openelec-Zacate), then i think it would be a great XBMC based PC and cheap!
Thanks in advance.
post #905 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpap View Post

This is interesting. Can you explain what do you mean by the word "smooth"?
Some questions please:

1. Is Vaapi working?
2. How about stuttering/dropped frames/tearing?
3. Did you try a lot of files (1080p, 720p, VC1 etc)
4. Audio Bit streaming, is it ok?
5. And last are there any bugs?

Sorry for the many questions, but if this project works perfect (Openelec-Zacate), then i think it would be a great XBMC based PC and cheap!
Thanks in advance.

1) Yes, that`s the main thing, functional GPU decoding, or else even 720p would shutter
2) I only tested it for a small period of time, 15-20 minutes, but i didn`t notice any shuttering or tearing.
3) A couple of movies : Black Hawk Down (1080p/H.264/DTS-HD Master Audio), Terminator Salvation (1080p/VC-1/DTS-HD) and Avatar (1080p/H.264/DTS-HD).
4) DTS bitstreaming worked fine, also FLAC music got decoded to LPCM, everything was normal
5) Only some bugs regarding my Cisco wireless adapter, disconnected 2 times during playback. Ethernet worked fine, for the record

Anyway, when the OpenELEC RC6 final version comes out i`ll retest for a longer period of time. If you want to test it yourself without ruining your current install, get 1 USB thumb drive, 1GB minimum, and install OpenELEC on it, since the OS was designed to be able to run from USB thumb drives or CF memory cards, not just normal hard-drives/ SSD drives
post #906 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Oh, for those of you using Aeon MQ, the developer, Marcos has gotten to the alpha stage of MQ3, the skin has been cut down to 59MB (from 200MB) and should be a lot faster on low powered machines like Zacate or Atom/ION.

Can't wait to give this a go - as an MQ2 user on an ION machine (something I don't find as laggy as others claim to) I'm really interested to see how much Marcos has tightened this skin up!

I believe it might be another couple of months until we see a final version though, right?
post #907 of 3287 Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

1) Yes, that`s the main thing, functional GPU decoding, or else even 720p would shutter
2) I only tested it for a small period of time, 15-20 minutes, but i didn`t notice any shuttering or tearing.
3) A couple of movies : Black Hawk Down (1080p/H.264/DTS-HD Master Audio), Terminator Salvation (1080p/VC-1/DTS-HD) and Avatar (1080p/H.264/DTS-HD).
4) DTS bitstreaming worked fine, also FLAC music got decoded to LPCM, everything was normal
5) Only some bugs regarding my Cisco wireless adapter, disconnected 2 times during playback. Ethernet worked fine, for the record

Anyway, when the OpenELEC RC6 final version comes out i`ll retest for a longer period of time. If you want to test it yourself without ruining your current install, get 1 USB thumb drive, 1GB minimum, and install OpenELEC on it, since the OS was designed to be able to run from USB thumb drives or CF memory cards, not just normal hard-drives/ SSD drives

I'm awaiting RC6 too. I use the SAB/SickBeard combo which will be included!
post #908 of 3287 Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Good news, I had to give up on Aeon MQ as it was too sluggish on my system when using MadVR.
post #909 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
hi guys, i've been running Media Browser along with Media Center Master for over a year now, and really like the interface of ease of use of Media Browser.

but now, i am curious about XBMC because of the Android App available on it. it be great to be able to control XBMC from your listening position in the home theater and not have a mouse/keyboard on your lap.

a few questions.

1) is XBMC the same/similar as Media Browser?

2) do i need to redo/reinstall my HTPC in order to run XBMC?

3) how difficult would it be to set up XBMC?

thanks much!
post #910 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

hi guys, i've been running Media Browser along with Media Center Master for over a year now, and really like the interface of ease of use of Media Browser.

but now, i am curious about XBMC because of the Android App available on it. it be great to be able to control XBMC from your listening position in the home theater and not have a mouse/keyboard on your lap.

a few questions.

1) is XBMC the same/similar as Media Browser?

2) do i need to redo/reinstall my HTPC in order to run XBMC?

3) how difficult would it be to set up XBMC?

thanks much!

1) Similar concept. XBMC is more a full Front End (integrated player, music, photos, etc...) whereas Media Browser relies on WMC

2) Nope. I have both on my HTPC and they run independent from each other

3) Pretty easy, Since you are using Media Browser I assume your naming convention for your movies/tv shows is spot on

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #911 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Since you are using Media Browser I assume your naming convention for your movies/tv shows is spot on

Just a note -- even if you're not, Media Center Master fully supports exporting XBMC-compatible meta-data. I use MCM + XBMC exclusively now and only let MCM fetch from the internet. MCM can also automatically convert between mymovies.xml (MediaBrowser) to XBMC without re-fetching anything.

Hope that saves you any grief in your testing. Also: you can run the two on the same system if you want to test but aren't sure about pulling the trigger yet.

Peter Souza IV
Author of Media Center Master (MCM)
post #912 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks guys, with Media Browser i need to install some video/audiocodecs. does XBMC requires codecs as well or does it have its own internernal codecs (much like VLC)?
post #913 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4 View Post

Just a note -- even if you're not, Media Center Master fully supports exporting XBMC-compatible meta-data. I use MCM + XBMC exclusively now and only let MCM fetch from the internet. MCM can also automatically convert between mymovies.xml (MediaBrowser) to XBMC without re-fetching anything.

Hope that saves you any grief in your testing. Also: you can run the two on the same system if you want to test but aren't sure about pulling the trigger yet.

And to complete what Peter said, you can just use this function to create XBMC compatible metadata from your old MB metadata.
LL
post #914 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks guys, with Media Browser i need to install some video/audiocodecs. does XBMC requires codecs as well or does it have its own internernal codecs (much like VLC)?

It has its own internal codecs, and cannot use any other codecs.
post #915 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Everything is internal with XBMC, no need to install any codecs, nor will any currently installed affect it.

If you want to bitstream hd audio though you will need to use a 3rd party player (such as MPC HC). There is a build floating around (check the last few posts here) with the new audio engine in XBMC that will allow bitstreaming, but it is still in test phase and probably not the best to use if you are new to XBMC

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #916 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to complete what Peter said, you can just use this function to create XBMC compatible metadata from your old MB metadata.

that's great to know

Quote:

It has its own internal codecs, and cannot use any other codecs.

cool, i like that. the same reason why i love VLC, except that it doesn't bitstream.

Quote:

Everything is internal with XBMC, no need to install any codecs, nor will any currently installed affect it.

If you want to bitstream hd audio though you will need to use a 3rd party player (such as MPC HC). There is a build floating around (check the last few posts here) with the new audio engine in XBMC that will allow bitstreaming, but it is still in test phase and probably not the best to use if you are new to XBMC

yup, i need bitstream feature as i have an ATI 55xx card and i prefer my pre/pro to do the decoding. and i've always like MPC HC too.
post #917 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

oh, and is anyone currently using the XBMC app? this is a great app or still experiencing issues?
post #918 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh, and is anyone currently using the XBMC app? this is a great app or still experiencing issues?

XBMC app? You mean the XBMC desktop application, or the Android/iOS remote control application?

I use both and i love them, the only thing i`m missing is HD audio bitstreaming, but the AE branch is soon to be merged with the nightlies so that`s gonna be fixed.
post #919 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed, i also don`t recommend using AE until it gets merged in the nightly builds. The good thins is that the hard word is done on it, only bugfixes remain to be implemented, and DRC correction.
post #920 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

XBMC app? You mean the XBMC desktop application, or the Android/iOS remote control application?

I use both and i love them, the only thing i`m missing is HD audio bitstreaming, but the AE branch is soon to be merged with the nightlies so that`s gonna be fixed.

sorry, i meant the Android XBMC app.
post #921 of 3287 Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

sorry, i meant the Android XBMC app.

I'm not sure if it's the same app, but there is a new app for the iPad that is pretty awesome. It's called XBMC Constellation. I found this app and changed from MB to XBMC and I'm loving it. I'm using a new nightly and it's pretty cool. Plays isos without the need for any extra players. Can't wait for the AE branch to get incorportated. I've tried the AE branch out right now but couldn't get it to work with my setup.
post #922 of 3287 Old 07-26-2011, 03:12 PM

Hi

now i use MC7 and media browser

i want another front end because somme little things bugs me with Media Center (not Media Browser) like when i play dvd, the movie is not on top, i need tp press pause and play again to bring on top, if i dont make that, the pictures screen saver appear after 10 minutes, i know i can remove this screen saver but i need it

finally, i want to try another front end
and i have 2 question about XBMC

with media browser, i can make a media collection and put more than one forlder in this collection
and i have a direct shortcut to this collection
ex: at the root menu i have "Action", if i choose this, i have all action movie from my folder E:\\DVD\\Action, G:\\Rip\\Action, H:\\BluRay\\Action......
same thing for cartoon, fantasy ect..
possible to make the same thing in XBMC
i dont like to have all my movie in one collection and i dont like to browse to many steps
like Movie, Genre and Action
and XBMC use IMDB for genre, and imdb put 3 genre to all movie
i can have "Incredible HULK" in Action, SCI-FI and thriller
i dont want this

my other question is
possible to put a cover on each movie, now i see the movie cover but like mediabrowser i can add a clear case cover to each movie cover?

thanks for your help
post #923 of 3287 Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snef
Hi

now i use MC7 and media browser

i want another front end because somme little things bugs me with Media Center (not Media Browser) like when i play dvd, the movie is not on top, i need tp press pause and play again to bring on top, if i dont make that, the pictures screen saver appear after 10 minutes, i know i can remove this screen saver but i need it

finally, i want to try another front end
and i have 2 question about XBMC

with media browser, i can make a media collection and put more than one forlder in this collection
and i have a direct shortcut to this collection
ex: at the root menu i have "Action", if i choose this, i have all action movie from my folder E:\\DVD\\Action, G:\\Rip\\Action, H:\\BluRay\\Action......
same thing for cartoon, fantasy ect..
possible to make the same thing in XBMC
i dont like to have all my movie in one collection and i dont like to browse to many steps
like Movie, Genre and Action
and XBMC use IMDB for genre, and imdb put 3 genre to all movie
i can have "Incredible HULK" in Action, SCI-FI and thriller
i dont want this

my other question is
possible to put a cover on each movie, now i see the movie cover but like mediabrowser i can add a clear case cover to each movie cover?

thanks for your help
Regarding your first question, some skins let you do this and there are a few other ways to do this, I'm not exactly sure how though its been forever since I tried. There is a thread in here from qbout 6-9 months ago that 3-4 fifteenth ways to do this. You 2nd question: yes around half or so of the skins let you put dvd and bluray cases/covers on them. I believe there is hddvd cases as well.
post #924 of 3287 Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have been doing some looking around and not seeing anything positive about this so gonna try to get a quick clarification so I can get on with my ripping.

I am currently ripping my blu ray collection.
I was going to just rip everything to mkv files including any extras I may want.
However in some circumstances with specific titles it will be much easier and take up less space to just rip an image of the blu ray (or I guess I can rip to folders). I am using AnyDVDHD for that.... of if I was doing the MKV I was using MakeMKV but that is irrelevant.

My actual question is can I get full menu support with XBMC with an ISO or Folder structure rip of a Blu Ray?
post #925 of 3287 Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I have been doing some looking around and not seeing anything positive about this so gonna try to get a quick clarification so I can get on with my ripping.

I am currently ripping my blu ray collection.
I was going to just rip everything to mkv files including any extras I may want.
However in some circumstances with specific titles it will be much easier and take up less space to just rip an image of the blu ray (or I guess I can rip to folders). I am using AnyDVDHD for that.... of if I was doing the MKV I was using MakeMKV but that is irrelevant.

My actual question is can I get full menu support with XBMC with an ISO or Folder structure rip of a Blu Ray?

XBMC doesn`t have native support for Blu Ray menus. You can playback the folder rip or ISO, and it will play the main movie (longest playlist). You need TMT5 or PowerDVD set up as an external player to get menu support.
post #926 of 3287 Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ok. I have TMT. Are you saying that I can get this all setup to run through XBMC though? I've never used any external players with it before.
It's been some time since I've read your guide and if this was mentioned I probably didn't pay attention as I never planned on doing BD ISO's.
I will have to check your guide again.... assuming it is in there.

Thanks, GreenEyez.
post #927 of 3287 Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 AM

How do I get correct Media Flagging?
It shows that it's sourced from a Blu-ray, shows the resolution and some of them show the studio and TrueHD seems to work, but I get no DTS HD-MA or PCM logos.
post #928 of 3287 Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post

It shows that it's sourced from a Blu-ray, shows the resolution and some of them show the studio and TrueHD seems to work, but I get no DTS HD-MA or PCM logos.

You can`t. Only the nighlty builds support DTS-HD flags. The normal 10.1 will only show the core DTS track. Don`t know about PCM
post #929 of 3287 Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

Ok. I have TMT. Are you saying that I can get this all setup to run through XBMC though? I've never used any external players with it before.
It's been some time since I've read your guide and if this was mentioned I probably didn't pay attention as I never planned on doing BD ISO's.
I will have to check your guide again.... assuming it is in there.

Thanks, GreenEyez.

If you want to use TMT5 as an external player for disk playback, that`s included in the guide under "Getting full disk support". If you want to playback ISO images with it, i need to modify the playercorefactory.xml for this. Let me know which one you need, or both.. Btw, the internal XBMC player can playback ISO images just fine, so why bother?
post #930 of 3287 Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post
I get DVD and TV but no Blu-ray flagging. What am I missing? (I have folder structures under a folder called Blu-ray.)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page