XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah I was doubtful of a way to do it without an album tag already there. Problem is it would take me a year to do it manually. So guess all my old stuff stays disorganized. New stuff I have been making sure to do this as I rip my CD. A lot of times it pulls, nowadays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Thank you. It's good to learn something new ... and useful.

You're welcome.

Their website is a bit slow, but from what I've read, they're in the process of redoing it with an included movie section. Should be a great place to go for all artwork needed.
post #1503 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post

I don't know exactly where these pic files are stored because its just the music mp3 file. There is no folder or attachment or anything, its weird.

Edit: Also is there a good mp3tager that works good with xbmc and does mcm or ember do music scraping as well?

Using MP3TAG: Right click on the name of the song with the embedded cover art. Then select "Extended Tag" in the drop down menu. That is where you will be able to delete the embeded cover art if you'd like.

Most of the time, a low-res image is what is embedded into an mp3.
(It will show the size under the picture in MP3TAG)
I always try to find album covers no less then 500x500. Fanart.tv uses 1000x1000 album covers. It really makes a big difference in picture quality going from a cover that's 75x75 to 500x500.

Ember Media Manager only does Movies and TV shows. I've been using MP3TAG for years and it works great!
post #1504 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

I've been using MP3TAG for years and it works great!

I agree completely. And since I learned to use mp3tag's features, such as
'Actions', I've never even thought about switching.
post #1505 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Unfortunatly, i have yet to find an scrapper that has all the artwork for all the music you can think of. LastFM maybe has 60% of the my trance/electronic music collection, and a lot of them don`t have artist backdrops.

I personally use J.River for tagging (since it`s what i use on my main workstation for playback, and it also has a nice tagging feature). As an alternative, i`ve used MP3TAG and it worked great for mass tagging.

For artwork i put a folder.jpg inside the album folder, which is the cover (and XBMC reads it), and at the artist folder level, i put a fanart.jpg which is a 720p/1080p background with the artist. I do this manually, was a pain in the ass to do it manually on my initial music library, but after that it was easy since i olnly add an album once per week max.

Yes, MP3 and FLAC have the option to embed a cover pic in the song file, that`s what XBMC was finding when you scraped the library. I think the cover must be in each song file, and maybe some of them don`t have it, that`s why it will only show covers for specific songs. A folder.jpg placed inside the album folder overrides this as far as i know.

Thanks, yeah lastfm andvthe others find about 60-70%. I just downloaded mp3tag and mediamonkey hopefully those will do something for me.

No, the songs do have the art but only one will show it for some reason, this happens with quite a few. Do you know if Is it possible to access the embedded pic in the file so I can copy and move it to the other file?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
post #1506 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Other options for coverart for music is http://www.albumartexchange.com.

You can also install bliss and use it to find cover art: http://www.blisshq.com

Thanks, I'm going to check bliss out, that looks cool.

post #1507 of 3199 Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys should check out www.fanart.tv

It's the first place I go to find Hi-Res artwork for my music collection. For a more automated process, I would recommend using the script "cdART Manager". It uses fanart.tv to pull in all the artwork, and can be found in the addons section, under programs. That plugin gets pretty much everything you need; Artist logos, cdart, fanart, and album covers. Granted it won't have every artist or album, but it's a great start. Hope this helps

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but Cdart isn't working all that great for me. I've gone through and checked all the settings and advanced configs, messed with all the options over and over and out if like 10,090 songs it found 11 artists I think. I'm using aeon3 skin and alot of my plugins are having errors so I don't know if its something with the Eden/plugin working together and/or me having the wrong version. Not sure.

Oh thanks for the fanart.tv link.
Thanks @hamilcar barca and everyone for the tips, keep em comin!

post #1508 of 3199 Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but Cdart isn't working all that great for me. I've set wmc checked setting and and advanced configs, messed with all the options over and over and out if like 10,090 songs it found 11 artists I think. I'm using aeon3 sling and slut if my plugins are having errors so I don't k.is if its something with the Eden/plugin working together and/or me having the wrong version. Not sure.

Oh thanks for the fanart.tv link.
Thanks @hamilcar barca and everyone for the tips, keep em comin!

You lost me at slut and wmc in advanced settings....Lol The script, "cdART Manager" will work well only if your mp3's or flacs are labeled correctly.
I'm using Aeon MQ3 as well, but it has nothing to do with what skin you're using.

My suggestion is to use the MP3TAG program to make sure your music is labeled correctly.

Trust me, it's not an easy task getting the music library to look perfect in XBMC.

I've been working on it for 2 years now and still don't have a fanart or folder.jpg for every artist I have.....That being said, I only have half as many songs as you do.
post #1509 of 3199 Old 01-14-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You lost me at slut and wmc in advanced settings....Lol The script, "cdART Manager" will work well only if your mp3's or flacs are labeled correctly.
I'm using Aeon MQ3 as well, but it has nothing to do with what skin you're using.

My suggestion is to use the MP3TAG program to make sure your music is labeled correctly.

Trust me, it's not an easy task getting the music library to look perfect in XBMC.

I've been working on it for 2 years now and still don't have a fanart or folder.jpg for every artist I have.....That being said, I only have half as many songs as you do.

Sorry about the miss spells, I fixed it. Auto correct on smart phones is a beautiful thing. Anyway, I've got most of them labeled perfectly. My girl spent weeks finding the correct art and tags one by one and I did the rest for mine and just used mp3tag but cdart is still not working.Hahaah, I know that just 11 albums aren't the only correctly labeled ones. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my build or some versions of plugins or something. But I think I only have about a hundred albums left now so I think between mediamonkey, and album art Exchange, and bliss metioned below and Google images etc. I should have this finished within the week hopefully.

post #1510 of 3199 Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all,

Been a user of XBMC for a while now - started on Xbox, now Windows 7, with an ATV2 on the way. One thing I've never been able to fully figure out is the library and video scraping.

I want to use an external program (currently using Ember Media Manager) to download all of the art and movie info, and just have XBMC use that. Right now I have things that display correctly in EMM but not in XBMC. For example, The Bourne Identity - when I look at it in XBMC, the cover is in Spanish. But in EMM, it has the correct English cover.

I'm guessing I need to totally delete the existing XBMC library data somehow and tell it to rescan, but can't seem to find the place to do that. I tried CLean Library but I think that just removes missing files.

During a library scan, if there is local info, XBMC will use that without trying to scrape (for example) IMDB, right?

Thanks!
post #1511 of 3199 Old 01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post

Hi all,

Been a user of XBMC for a while now - started on Xbox, now Windows 7, with an ATV2 on the way. One thing I've never been able to fully figure out is the library and video scraping.

I want to use an external program (currently using Ember Media Manager) to download all of the art and movie info, and just have XBMC use that. Right now I have things that display correctly in EMM but not in XBMC. For example, The Bourne Identity - when I look at it in XBMC, the cover is in Spanish. But in EMM, it has the correct English cover.

I'm guessing I need to totally delete the existing XBMC library data somehow and tell it to rescan, but can't seem to find the place to do that. I tried CLean Library but I think that just removes missing files.

During a library scan, if there is local info, XBMC will use that without trying to scrape (for example) IMDB, right?

Thanks!

Here's what I did...does it help?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...b#post20967263

B.
post #1512 of 3199 Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

In the Videos section, remove your "source" (i.e. the movies folder) and then clean the library.
post #1513 of 3199 Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry about the miss spells, I fixed it. Auto correct on smart phones is a beautiful thing. Anyway, I've got most of them labeled perfectly. My girl spent weeks finding the correct art and tags one by one and I did the rest for mine and just used mp3tag but cdart is still not working.Hahaah, I know that just 11 albums aren't the only correctly labeled ones. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with my build or some versions of plugins or something. But I think I only have about a hundred albums left now so I think between mediamonkey, and album art Exchange, and bliss metioned below and Google images etc. I should have this finished within the week hopefully.

Lol, yeah, auto-correct sometimes does "wonders".

Personally, CDArt only found 3 artist backdrops from my entire library, the most commercial/common artist (Armin Van Buuren / ATB / Markus Shulz). Aside from that, it was mostly worthless to me.

So no, i don`t think there is any issue with your setup, the artists you may listen to are not so common/commercial and they don`t appear in this databases. Same thing happen to me.
post #1514 of 3199 Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Are using blu-ray folder structure ?
If so then the scraper puts the info in the wrong place.
post #1515 of 3199 Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

In the Videos section, remove your "source" (i.e. the movies folder) and then clean the library.

that or delete the .db file will do the trick. dont change anything in ember yet.
post #1516 of 3199 Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to get out a kinda late news, gnif is working again on the Audio Engine branch, and Team XBMC has decided to merge AE with the nightly builds after the final Eden release comes out. Most of the Windows/Linux part is done, just some coding on the OSX/iOS part is needed
post #1517 of 3199 Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to get out a kinda late news, gnif is working again on the Audio Engine branch, and Team XBMC has decided to merge AE with the nightly builds after the final Eden release comes out. Most of the Windows/Linux part is done, just some coding on the OSX/iOS part is needed

GreenEyez, what does this mean? For us newbies. Is this a better audio codec or something?
post #1518 of 3199 Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmclay View Post

GreenEyez, what does this mean? For us newbies. Is this a better audio codec or something?

For the most part it will include the ability to bitstream HD audio.
post #1519 of 3199 Old 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Anyone have experience setting up a MySQL server with XBMC that can point me to a good guide? I'm having some issues.
post #1520 of 3199 Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

For the most part it will include the ability to bitstream HD audio.

Awesome to hear then. Thanks for clarifying.
post #1521 of 3199 Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

And improvements in decoding, like support for 24bit FLAC files, like the ones used by audiophiles ripped from SACD.

Actually, even normal 16bit FLAC ripped from CDs sound better, or at least louder, the bass was shaking my headphones when i tested out a recent build (yesterday, thanks DDDamian from XBMC.org for providing the build).
post #1522 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

Anyone have experience setting up a MySQL server with XBMC that can point me to a good guide? I'm having some issues.

Me, but on what OS? Windows/Linux/unRAID/OSX ? I`ve set it up once on Windows and on unRAID, i can guide you through in quick tutorial if you want.
post #1523 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:

And improvements in decoding, like support for 24bit FLAC files, like the ones used by audiophiles ripped from SACD.

Actually, even normal 16bit FLAC ripped from CDs sound better, or at least louder, the bass was shaking my headphones when i tested out a recent build (yesterday, thanks DDDamian from XBMC.org for providing the build).

If this is only going to the in the nightlies, does that mean we will have to wait about a year for an official release, or do you think they will have a mid cycle update for HD audio?
post #1524 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I used a guide from contentwhores (who names these sites?), but the site went down a couple weeks ago and it's gone from the Google cache too. I did save the full text and will repost it here. If anyone has an issue with me posting the full text, I'll take it down.

-----
Configuring XBMC to use a MySQL library
The release of XBMC Dharma (currently beta 3) has introduced a very cool new feature: the ability to use a MySQL database. Whereas it has been possible to share content over network shares, the library was always stored locally in the built-in SQLite database. Dharma adds the option to use MySQL which can be hosted on the same machine as the XBMC instance or on a remote system on the network. This article explains how to install MySQL and configure both it and XBMC to use this capability.
It assumes a fair level of familiarity with XBMC, with editing XML files, and installing software. It does not assume you're an expert either in the MySQL product or in SQL but some basic knowledge here would certainly be useful - for a great tutorial on SQL see webdevelopersnotes.com . I also assume that a high level of security on the LAN is not required so the xbmc system will have full access to the MySQL databases.

My scenario
The PCs and servers being used for this upgrade are as follows:
MACMINI: 3rd generation Apple MacMini hardware running Windows 7 with XBMC Dharma beta 3. Content is accessed from network shared volumes mapped to drive letters, local SQLite database, Thumbnails on a network share volume. IP address 192.168.1.64/24.
RACK: Server running MySQL on Windows 7, directly connected to 2x DroboPros with the content, sharing content to the LAN over 5x SMB shares. Runs an Intel Atom processor with 2Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD, 4x GigE network ports and Windows 7. IP address on the LAN is 192.168.1.16/24, the DroboPros are each connected directly to one of the other LAN ports for maximum performance. In my setup the MySQL database will be installed on RACK with XBMC and the MySQL Workbench running on MACMINI.

Installation in 7 steps
1. Install MySQL and verify that it works using MySQL Workbench
2. Manually configure MySQL to prepare it for XBMC
3. Configure XBMC to use MySQL rather than SQLite
4. Start XBMC and verify that the tables have been correctly configured
5. Edit the paths to the sources to use SMB shares and not local references
6. Scan the sources to populate the library on MySQL
7. Optimise the MySQL installation

Step 1. Install MySQL and verify that it works using MySQL Workbench
Full tutorials on how to install MySQL for your platform can be found elsewhere but the short answer is to download MySQL Community Edition and the MySQL Workbench (GUI Tool) from the MySQL downloads page and install with the defaults. You can install the MySQL Workbench on the same system as the MySQL database or on a different system, no issue either way. Personally I prefer different systems as this more closely mimics how the XBMC machines will communicate with the server - over the LAN and not through a loopback (localhost or 127.0.0.1).

When they're all installed launch MySQL Workbench and create a New Connection under the SQL Development section. This will prompt you for a name for the connection (root on RACK' in my case), the IP address of the server (192.168.1.16), port (default 3306), username (default root) and password (as entered during the installation process for the MySQL database). You can then open the connection to start querying the MySQL server instance; if it doesn't connect then you've probably got an issue with the setup or perhaps your firewalling.

Step 2: Manually configure MySQL for XBMC
Assuming the MySQL and the MySQL Workbench are running, our first step is to create a user that will access the two databases we'll be setting up. Use the SQL Editor in MySQL Workbench to send commands to and view responses from the MySQL server. Here the username (USER) will be xbmc and the password (IDENTIFIED BY) will also be xbmc.
Code:
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
Note: If you get an error 1396 when trying this then you've probably hit a bug ; you'll have to DROP the user manually in MySQL Workbench before re-creating them.

Next we have to create two empty databases which XBMC will populate with tables and columns the first time it starts and successfully access the MySQL server:
Code:
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_video CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci;
CREATE DATABASE xbmc_music CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci;
Lastly, we need to give the user xbmc' access to the databases:
Code:
GRANT ALL ON *.* to 'xbmc'
Step 3: Configure XBMC to use MySQL rather than SQLite
If it's still running, quit XBMC. Open the advancedsettings.xml file from the userdata folder in a text editor like Notepad. Add the following lines at the end, above the :
Code:

mysql
   xbmc
   xbmc
   xbmc_video

mysql
   xbmc
   xbmc
   xbmc_music
Where is the name or explicit IP address of the MySQL server (I have RACK mapped to 192.168.1.16 in my hosts file, so I could have used the name RACK in place of the IP address), and and are the username and password specified in step 2.

Step 4: Start XBMC and verify that the tables have been correctly configured
When you start XBMC after completing step 3 XBMC will connect to the MySQL server, find the empty databases and populate them with all the correct tables and columns. As soon as XBMC displays the menu from the skin this will have been completed. To verify that it has worked as expected open the xbmc.log file and check to make sure there are no ERROR: SQL: ' messages. Assuming none, then use MySQL Workbench to check the databases and see that all the tables are there.

Step 5: Edit the paths to the sources to use SMB shares and not local references
I'm sure you don't want to have to add all your content to the new MySQL-based library through a re-scan or library update as this could take a long time due to re-scraping. For sure the faster approach would be to export the library from within XBMC when still using the SQLite database, switch to MySQL as explained above, then re-import.
Now, this approach does work if your content is already stored on network shares and referenced by the UNC path in XBMC: e.g., as smb://RACK/480p movies/ and not to a drive letter S:\\480p movies\\. But most people don't have this, their existing libraries map to local drive letters.
OK you say, so I won't change to SMB network paths, I'll just map those shares to the same drive letters that I was accessing locally. So S: that was attached locally becomes S: that now maps to the share. Good idea. But it doesn't work. The reason is that the backslash character is reserved in MySQL so when you try and import the library you'll get an error ERROR: SQL: Undefined MySQL error: Code (1062) and the database won't be updated. UNC paths use forward slashes so they work fine.
As the sources I was using in XBMC pointed to locally-mapped network drives (e.g. S: pointed to \\\\RACK\\480p movies\\) I need to edit each and every one of my sources to pull data from a SMB reference as opposed to a local drive reference. That means selecting Videos' from the XBMC menu, turning off library mode, then editing each source to change the location.
Step 6: Scan the sources to populate the library on MySQLWith all the sources now referencing SMB network paths I can re-scan and XBMC will find the new' content, scrape the metadata as needed from IMDb, thetvdb.com etc. and update the library on MySQL. If you use a SQL Editor window in MySQL Workbench you can run queries as it's happening to see the new rows:
Code:
SELECT * from xbmc_video.movie;
This will display all the movies that XBMC has found. If you just want to see how many rows (separate movies) XBMC has in the MySQL database then use:
Code:
SELECT COUNT(*) from xbmc_video.movie;
In the above queries replace movie with tvshow and instead you'll see all the TV shows.

Step 7: Optimise the MySQL installation
Certainly MySQL can be tuned for better performance. If you want to do that then the MySQL Performance Blog would be a good place to start.
But aside from that, what we've found is that the xbmc_video database is fine, but the xbmc_music database performs slowly as defined by XBMC. To improve this we can add three indices to the database which improve things dramatically:
Code:
ALTER TABLE xbmc_music.song ADD INDEX idx_idArtist(idArtist);
ALTER TABLE xbmc_music.song ADD INDEX idx_idGenre(idGenre);
ALTER TABLE xbmc_music.song ADD INDEX idx_idAlbum(idAlbum);
-----
post #1525 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
No nightlities for eden yet...
post #1526 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post

No nightlities for eden yet...

There were 'nightlies' for Eden for the past 12 months? Eden is now in beta testing.

Do you mean Frodo, nightlies won't start for that until Eden stable has been released.
post #1527 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
i mean eden.. i thought there would be nightlies after the beta.. looks not to be the case.
post #1528 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Not going to be - its in feature freeze and testing, bug resolution - next stage is likely to be an Alpha and/or a RC version then stable - no need for nightlies.
post #1529 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM

Next stage is a Beta 2 release, then assuming no major bugs the RC won't be far behind, and then the official release of Eden. All effort at the moment is on bug bashing hence no nightlies.

Once Eden is out the door, they'll merge the Eden branch with Master then verify the automatic build system before they start up the nightlies again, so I wouldn't expect it to happen straight away after Eden release. Question then is at what point does AE gets merged, before or after nightlies kick off again.
post #1530 of 3199 Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

When Dharma was released, there was an 1 month delay before nightly builds were re-instated, just as a note. Gnif said "merge will happen right after the Eden release", so i presume it will happen before the nightly builds get re-instated.

Anyways, if this build i have proves to be stable, i`ll release it around here, just need to test out more movies on it (currently i`m sick at home with rubeola (and the fever/headackes that come with i) for the last 3 days, so i`m not in the mood for testing out stuff)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page