Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1801 of 3243 Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also when i clean library database at times some folders are getting deleted, almost like it is not giving enough time to respond, i have noticed it gets deleted when i clean library and something is getting ripped to that folder. On my e drive i have music and blu-rays, blu-ray folder were not removed, meanwhile music was removed and i happened to be ripping a cd to my music folder...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3243 Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone a former Media Portal user? I used XBMC for the original xbox and have been using Mediaportal ever since. I know MP pretty well but it does have a pretty high learning curve for newbies. My PC is getting a bit slow for MP so I cant update it like I wish I could, so im testing XBMC on my laptop in preparation for my next build.

I tried the newest eden XBMC and it blows MP away in the UI and skin department. But MP still seems much more powerful. Am I correct with this?
post #1803 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

So i just thought I would share. I was really hoping i could switch to xbmc setup full time soon but i dont think it will happen for bluray.

I like my menu's and they are working on it yet but heard java menu's wont be supported for a bit yet, but theres so many features missing yet, like subtitle shift, ability to output 1080i interlaced for those blu-rays without having to manually switch resolution (i use my sclaer to deinterlace). With my dune its set to 1080i, and 1080/24 turned on, so then 24fps blurays are output at that, while 1080i blu-rays are output at 1080i to be passed to my scaler.

Im also concerned about audio dropouts...I have none with dune, but know its a problem in the streaming world and seen people complain about this yet for some blu-rays in xbmc with the true hd/master patch. And no 24bit support quite yet.

I did get xbmc launching movies on the dune, i still have to get eventghost working to switch inputs on my receiver when i launch on the dune, and then switch back to xbmc interface when i stop playback.
Its about the best i can do right now for fully hassle free playback of blu-ray.

When you actually use it, it is seamless. I launch a blu-ray, xbmc minimizes, dune launches the movie instantly, when i stop the movie, xbmc maximizes and returns full screen. Once I have time to use event ghost, i probably wont even see the dune interface menu's, just xbmc and flawless blu-ray playback.

The person who created it has it setup with eventghost so when xbmc launches the blu-ray, his receiver switches input to dune, xbmc minimizes, then you have full menu's on the dune, then when playback is terminated event ghost switches his avr back to xbmc, and xbmc is maximized back to full screen.

This gives me a fully featured blu-ray playback at least for awhile yet. I might never be able to leave dune, it is the only htpc/streamer that simply never gives me grief trying to play movies with all the bells and whistles (menus full 24bit bitstreaming ect..), thats the praise it receives because its not fancy by any means, its just hassle free and rock solid.

Some might not find this as practical but it is seamless and works for me.

My dream is an xbmc port onto a dune whenver the new silicon optics chip is released in there new line.
post #1804 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 11
Just curious but are you ripping your blurays?
post #1805 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

If your asking me? Yes with anydvd.
post #1806 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

If your asking me? Yes with anydvd.

Ok, I only have a couple done using the same program and I've never had any sound issues. I've tried the external player for XBMC and really didn't like it. I really like the way XBMC looks and Im willing to give up some of the things that it can't do at the moment. There's nothing what-so-ever that comes close to the aesthetics of XBMC. I'm sure they'll get to the point soon where they'll able to meet 95% of consumer's wants.
post #1807 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

There's nothing what-so-ever that comes close to the aesthetics of XBMC.

Really? Don't know if I agree with that.

There are a few other very good options as far as just looks go.
post #1808 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

This of course is my opinion, but I'm interested in what you had in mind. XBMC has a good bit of themes as well as addons like cinemaexperience, tvtunes to name a few, that really add a lot to the whole experience. I haven't found anything else with as much to offer, but I haven't seen all the front ends I'm sure.
post #1809 of 3243 Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM

For blu-ray disk support can I use Cyberlink PowerDVD instead of Total Media Theater 3/5 as external xbmc player?
post #1810 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Assasin loves the looks of his media portal...

I do agree though the interface and aeon mq3 skin is the nicest juke box i seen.

Although media portal is nice to.
post #1811 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 questions for you guys.

1. Are using nightly builds a headache? I would like to add a repo so xbmc updates constantly without me manually have to keep doing it, i just want to make sure there not breaking stuff in these builds and are they volatile?

2. I plan on adding a small htpc with xbmc and using a remote, my only concern is how do i install programs, or fix things on the machine, can I do it through windows 7 over a network using my desktop pc?
post #1812 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

2. I plan on adding a small htpc with xbmc and using a remote, my only concern is how do i install programs, or fix things on the machine, can I do it through windows 7 over a network using my desktop pc?

Just RDP into your HTPC from your desktop PC (this is what I do). You can also install LogMeIn on your HTPC so you can access via the web when you aren't home (this is also what I do). I rarely ever maintain my HTPC directly

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1813 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Assasin loves the looks of his media portal...

I do agree though the interface and aeon mq3 skin is the nicest juke box i seen.

Although media portal is nice to.

Actually I am personally using xbmc right now so obviously I am a fan. But media browser is a very slick front end as well. Take a look at the first post of my sticky thread for some examples.
post #1814 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM

I have TotalMedia Theatre and did the guide here in 1st page.

But when i paste the download file "playercorefactory" and open xbmc my optical drive starts make a really weird sound and xbmc freeze.
What I am doing wrong?
post #1815 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Just RDP into your HTPC from your desktop PC (this is what I do). You can also install LogMeIn on your HTPC so you can access via the web when you aren't home (this is also what I do). I rarely ever maintain my HTPC directly

I have Win7 Home on my HTPC and Win7 Pro on my laptop and haven't been able to remote in. is our me or if the Home version unable to allow remote access? Is there another application I could use?
post #1816 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
RDP only works on Pro and Ultimate, not on Home. There are tons of alternatives, like Team Viewer , or VNC based ones like RealVNC
post #1817 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

RDP only works on Pro and Ultimate, not on Home. There are tons of alternatives, like Team Viewer , or VNC based ones like RealVNC

He might want to try this: http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...4/t/79427.aspx
post #1818 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So i just thought I would share. I was really hoping i could switch to xbmc setup full time soon but i dont think it will happen for bluray.

I like my menu's and they are working on it yet but heard java menu's wont be supported for a bit yet, but theres so many features missing yet, like subtitle shift, ability to output 1080i interlaced for those blu-rays without having to manually switch resolution (i use my sclaer to deinterlace). With my dune its set to 1080i, and 1080/24 turned on, so then 24fps blurays are output at that, while 1080i blu-rays are output at 1080i to be passed to my scaler.

Im also concerned about audio dropouts...I have none with dune, but know its a problem in the streaming world and seen people complain about this yet for some blu-rays in xbmc with the true hd/master patch. And no 24bit support quite yet.

I did get xbmc launching movies on the dune, i still have to get eventghost working to switch inputs on my receiver when i launch on the dune, and then switch back to xbmc interface when i stop playback.
Its about the best i can do right now for fully hassle free playback of blu-ray.

When you actually use it, it is seamless. I launch a blu-ray, xbmc minimizes, dune launches the movie instantly, when i stop the movie, xbmc maximizes and returns full screen. Once I have time to use event ghost, i probably wont even see the dune interface menu's, just xbmc and flawless blu-ray playback.

The person who created it has it setup with eventghost so when xbmc launches the blu-ray, his receiver switches input to dune, xbmc minimizes, then you have full menu's on the dune, then when playback is terminated event ghost switches his avr back to xbmc, and xbmc is maximized back to full screen.

This gives me a fully featured blu-ray playback at least for awhile yet. I might never be able to leave dune, it is the only htpc/streamer that simply never gives me grief trying to play movies with all the bells and whistles (menus full 24bit bitstreaming ect..), thats the praise it receives because its not fancy by any means, its just hassle free and rock solid.

Some might not find this as practical but it is seamless and works for me.

My dream is an xbmc port onto a dune whenver the new silicon optics chip is released in there new line.

Hey Murilo, what GPU are you using, and ar eyou using the latest drivers? 24p works on HTPCs using that "Adjust display resfresh rate to match video" option in XBMC (or other apps, or manually doing so). Isn`t it working for you ? (sry if you already posted about it, but i`ve been away from the forums for 1 week so i`m behing the posts) ? Do you have 23hz or 24hz in the Nvidia/Ati/Intel control panels showing up (as a note, for some reason no GPU manufacturer actually names 24p as 23.976 in their Control Panel, it`s usually the 24hz or 23hz setting, for ATI it`s the 23hz option for example) ?

As for the 1080i output, that`s something that is a limitation of the GPUs, XBMC can`t fix it, since GPUs were designed to be video decoders/processors by themselfs, nobody has implemented a native 1080i output mode as far as i know, so interlanced material gets processed anyway.

Great to hear that the XBMC control for Dune works fine, i saw the post from the developer on the forums but since i don`t have a Dune i can`t test it.

Personally you might want to keep an eye out for the Apple TV 3 when it comes out, since XBMC has been ported to iOS and the current ATV2, if the 3 support 1080p and HD audio when it`s released, it might be a good solution for you.
post #1819 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post

I have Win7 Home on my HTPC and Win7 Pro on my laptop and haven't been able to remote in. is our me or if the Home version unable to allow remote access? Is there another application I could use?

I would just recommend LogMeIn. It is free, and gives you access from home or on the road. I use LogMeIn practically every day

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #1820 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He might want to try this: http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...4/t/79427.aspx

Nice catch , going to try it out tomorrow since i`ve been hunting for a remote desktop control piece of software for my own machines and i`m used to RDP already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I would just recommend LogMeIn. It is free, and gives you access from home or on the road. I use LogMeIn practically every day

Speaking of LogMeIn, what`s the difference between the free/pro version of it and the Ignition version? Because the Ignition app is 79 Euro in the iTunes store for example, which is alot
post #1821 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

How do I set up XBMC to use a different player?? I want to use MPC-HC because the XBMC player keeps freezing on me.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #1822 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

How do I set up XBMC to use a different player?? I want to use MPC-HC because the XBMC player keeps freezing on me.

The first post should have all the info you need.
post #1823 of 3243 Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hp?t=1294647#8
post #1824 of 3243 Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Speaking of LogMeIn, what`s the difference between the free/pro version of it and the Ignition version? Because the Ignition app is 79 Euro in the iTunes store for example, which is alot

The pro version of LogMeIn adds some things like file sharing. Here's a comparison chart. I have the free version and only every once in awhile wish I had the file sharing. Not enough to, you know, pay for it.

Ignition isn't a version. It's the iPad (and I think, iPhone) app. In the US at least it was replaced with a free version called just LogMeIn. That link is to the US iTunes Store, so I don't know if that will help you find the free version in your iTunes Store.
post #1825 of 3243 Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just wondering if XBMC has a touch screen jukebox kiosk style skin? I currently use Freebox/E-Touch for my music, and would like something like that with integrated movie support. When I a party I would like to limit the actions to selection songs and adding them to the queue. I do not want to worry about anything happening to my library

Thanks!
post #1826 of 3243 Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM

When I put a CD Audio XBMC fails to get the track names. Allways appear CCDA instead of the real name of the song. It seems a bug.

How to solve it?
post #1827 of 3243 Old 03-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Lots of people getting buffering issues on the new RC2. Just a FYI to everyone.
post #1828 of 3243 Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Who are "lots of people"? I haven't had any buffering issues with RC2.
post #1829 of 3243 Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

The people posting on the XBMC forums. You can look there for details.
post #1830 of 3243 Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post

Lots of people getting buffering issues on the new RC2. Just a FYI to everyone.

I haven't had one movie that didn't play very well...

In fact, I haven't used MPC-HC since installing RC2...

Maybe something wrong with your network...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page