XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #2071 of 3235 Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply, but I am somewhat confused now and am hoping for some clarification. I have not installed/used XMBC yet, but want to which is why I am trying to figure these things out before hand.

1) I found this on the Media Center Master site:

"Once a movie title and/or tv series with images has been scanned and entered into XBMC's database, the .nfo and image files created by Media Center Master are no longer used by XBMC. Any attempt to modify the contents of these files (.nfo files or image files) through Media Center Master in order to view the revisions in XBMC by using "Scan for New Content" or "Update Library" will not work, as expected."

So does adding all of the extra backdrops, nfo's, folder.jpg's, etc. really matter or help? Is there a benefit to having all of the extra metadata/.jpg's stored locally in your movie folder, or should you just make sure your files are named correctly and have XBMC scrape all the metadata? Granted, the info linked above from the MCM wiki is referring to previous versions of both XBMC and MCM, so I am not sure if the situation has recently changed.

2) Does XBMC Eden require changing the .nfo to [video filename].nfo or will movie.nfo still work?

3) Are the backdrop.jpg files used by XBMC (I was previously using these with MediaBrowser)?

4) Related to #2- From reading the info here, it seems like XBMC uses .tbn files instead of .jpg, but when you select "Create movie.tbn artwork from poster.jpg" in Media Center Master, you only get one [video filename].tbn and a one [video filename] - fanart .jpg. So does this mean XBMC only uses the single fanart file, or does it still use the backdrops? How about the folder.jpg - I am confused with the relationship between all of them and I don't ever see a poster.jpg created (or is this just referring to "folder.jpg")?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3235 Old 04-07-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Epic fail on my part. Acording to this guide, you do set MCM to create XBMC metadata files, but when i updated it for Eden, i deleted that part (god knows why). Yeah, enable those options, you should have fanart.jpg for backgrounds and movie.nfo for metadata. Poster.jpg is universal for both XBMC and 7MC/MB.

I`ll add it back when i get the screenshots for the Plex iOS/Android app, still have no clue how to catch screenshots on my tablet atm.

!!!!
post #2073 of 3235 Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Those are selectable options in MCM.

which options?
post #2074 of 3235 Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have XBMC Eden installed and for some reason it keeps downloading 21 Jump Street Movie data. When I view my movie section, 21 Jump Street is listed 10-15 times but there is no underlying movie so nothing plays when I click on it. I think I may have initially tried to view that movie via FastPass plugin. I delete all 10-15 movies showing and when I clean library and rescan it starts adding all the 21 Jump Street files back in. I tried uninstalling FastPass and it still continues to do it. I tried looking in all my movie and TV folders and I can't see anything for 21 Jump Street. Just the files I am familiar with. How can I get this to stop downloading this junk? I don't think I have any rss feeds for that movie via utorrent or anything else.

DB
post #2075 of 3235 Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Out of curiosity right now i have xbmc running on the same pc with my hard drives.

I plan to build a small server, and im curious if using a gig network, does artwork load slowly at all for you guys?

I would put it just on my actual pc hard drive, but i use artwork downloader as well and it puts it with the actual files so some of my artwork will have to load over the network wether i like it or not.

Just curious if using a wired gig connection its slow to load?
post #2076 of 3235 Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Murilo, you actually can use the keyboard, but it`s disabled by default for some reason unknown to me. Basically go to Settings -> System -> Input Devices and enable the option called "Remote control sends keyboard presses", and the on-screen virtual keyboard will work now.

As for the clean library thing, it`s not a script (that`s why i was confused), it is a core function of the XBMC library. I`ll mess around with it after i get some sleep, haven`t used it for some time.

Thanks a ton for your help greeneyez. Will be interested to hear if you have any luck.

I just cant get it to work using the clean on update script i added. Its in the xbmc wiki that it should work, but it just wont work. When i update library it simply runs 00:00 seconds.

If i could get it to work i would be incredibly happy. The idea is every night when my pc shuts down and restarts xbmc will also restart and it would clean the library. But again its running 00:00 seconds.

Physically cleaning the library in the gui going into settings and videos works, and the log shows it runs 18 seconds and it actually cleans, thats why its baffling me why that clean on update script wont work.

More infuriating was 14 dead ends i came across on xbmc with the same issue and no resolution.
post #2077 of 3235 Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post

which options?

I was able to confirm on the MCM site that you want the first three selected in the XBMC tab.

The first one automatically get selected when you choose XBMC under the Metadata tab. Then select "Use [video filename].nfo/.tbn..." and "Create movie.tbn artwork...". You only need to select the fourth option if the skin you are using messes up the poster sizing.
post #2078 of 3235 Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Liked: 28
I am using Media Centre Master to keep my xbmc video library organized, and it works well. Is there an MCM equivalent for audio files? Something that is able to generate ID tags and keep folders organized somewhat intelligently.
post #2079 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 AM

I am hoping someone can help me out.

I built a HTPC and everything went together well, and i decided to go with XBMC "Eden".

Here's the issue: After a few days, I lose the audio output in XBMC itself. I get the speaker with the circle and slash through it. I've tried just about everything. The only thing that seems to clear it up is reinstalling XBMC, which is a BIG P.I.T.A!!

Anyone have any ideas?

System Specs:
Zalman HD160 case
Nvidia 790i digital motherboard
Intel Q9550 Core2Quad @ 2.83 ghz
6 gb Corsair xms3 ram
Evga 9800 gt Video card
Windows 7 64bit
Samsung Brd player

If anyone needs any more detail, let me know...
post #2080 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycledr4376 View Post

I am hoping someone can help me out.

I built a HTPC and everything went together well, and i decided to go with XBMC "Eden".

Here's the issue: After a few days, I lose the audio output in XBMC itself. I get the speaker with the circle and slash through it. I've tried just about everything. The only thing that seems to clear it up is reinstalling XBMC, which is a BIG P.I.T.A!!

Anyone have any ideas?

System Specs:
Zalman HD160 case
Nvidia 790i digital motherboard
Intel Q9550 Core2Quad @ 2.83 ghz
6 gb Corsair xms3 ram
Evga 9800 gt Video card
Windows 7 64bit
Samsung Brd player

If anyone needs any more detail, let me know...

You might want to post what and how your htpc is connected. What your settings are for xbmc inside your audio config, and if you're using the htpc for anything else that could affect the default sound profile.
post #2081 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

You might want to post what and how your htpc is connected. What your settings are for xbmc inside your audio config, and if you're using the htpc for anything else that could affect the default sound profile.

im using the default sound profile over hdmi through my video card to my tv.
the first time this happened i thought it was a setting that i screwed up, but i got the sound to come back but couldnt get rid of the little mute symbol no matter what i did. so i left all the settings on default, figuring that was it, but yesterday it happened again and i havent messed with any settings.

as far as the htpc, just using it for xbmc...
post #2082 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

Is there a command or something I can set up in a Harmony remote to just take me to music album view with one click? I find it very irritating when the music visualization is on that it takes a bunch of hit and miss button presses to get back to your albums. Depending on where you chose a song and how you got there combinations of "Exit" and "menu" etc will eventually get you there and I can usually figure it out, but my kids like to play music and always get lost in the interface.

Also, does anyone use the Android app? Another music frustration... if I have an empty "Now playing" playlist and I queue up one song, it automatically queues the whole album. Did I ask to queue the album??? NO! Just queue the damn song! Is there a way to change this behaviour?

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #2083 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycledr4376 View Post

im using the default sound profile over hdmi through my video card to my tv.
the first time this happened i thought it was a setting that i screwed up, but i got the sound to come back but couldnt get rid of the little mute symbol no matter what i did. so i left all the settings on default, figuring that was it, but yesterday it happened again and i havent messed with any settings.

as far as the htpc, just using it for xbmc...

And you get no sound inside XBMC? Have you checked the audio config inside XBMC to ensure it is set to HDMI?

I assume you can go to the sound control panel and it plays properly as the default audio device?

I also assume you're using the latest drivers for your mb?

Do you see this problem when the tv is on and you start XBMC/the computer after? I have seen a couple instances of XBMC running into audio issues if the attached HDMI device isn't powered on when the computer or XBMC starts.
post #2084 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 28
bicycle have you tried pressing F8 on the keyboard? It's a general 'mute' button. It took me a while to figure that out last time it happened.
post #2085 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Same here.. got the speaker with the red line.. ended up being muted via the keyboard.. the other time it happened it was that I had used the keyboard arrow keys to turn the volume all the way down.
post #2086 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

bicycle have you tried pressing F8 on the keyboard? It's a general 'mute' button. It took me a while to figure that out last time it happened.

LOL if thats it, im gonna feel like such an ASS!!
post #2087 of 3235 Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

I have XBMC Eden installed and for some reason it keeps downloading 21 Jump Street Movie data. When I view my movie section, 21 Jump Street is listed 10-15 times but there is no underlying movie so nothing plays when I click on it. I think I may have initially tried to view that movie via FastPass plugin. I delete all 10-15 movies showing and when I clean library and rescan it starts adding all the 21 Jump Street files back in. I tried uninstalling FastPass and it still continues to do it. I tried looking in all my movie and TV folders and I can't see anything for 21 Jump Street. Just the files I am familiar with. How can I get this to stop downloading this junk? I don't think I have any rss feeds for that movie via utorrent or anything else.

Name the folder "21 Jump Street (1987)" and The Renamer or thetvdb will find the correct info. I had the same problem with Spider-man (1967) and the movies showing up, which messed up metadata and made the files unavailable.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=77585&lid=7

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #2088 of 3235 Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a note for greeneyez I think i filled up his inbox so I will post it here. But I did want to ask him if hes ever ran aeon mq3 skin, with windows on his E-350, and if it was smooth? Thats a setup im looking to run.
post #2089 of 3235 Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Out of curiosity right now i have xbmc running on the same pc with my hard drives.

I plan to build a small server, and im curious if using a gig network, does artwork load slowly at all for you guys?

I would put it just on my actual pc hard drive, but i use artwork downloader as well and it puts it with the actual files so some of my artwork will have to load over the network wether i like it or not.

Just curious if using a wired gig connection its slow to load?

No need to worry...XBMC will cache a copy of the artwork on your htpc machine and it will load extremely fast with a decent HTPC.
(enable dds fanart setting in your advanced settings xml and it will be even faster)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #2090 of 3235 Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM

So here's a ques...

Why use MCM at all? Why not use the built in features of XBMC to scrape meta data? Obviously I'm a newb, so someone kindly explain if this is possible and the advantages/disadvantages...
post #2091 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockmastr8 View Post

So here's a ques...

Why use MCM at all? Why not use the built in features of XBMC to scrape meta data? Obviously I'm a newb, so someone kindly explain if this is possible and the advantages/disadvantages...

I don't know the specifics of MCM, but one advantage would be to save metadata in a way that multiple programs could use it. When you use the built in scraper of XBMC only that program can make use of the metadata and so you'd have to scrape again for another.

philip
post #2092 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So here's a ques...

I use Media Companion, which is similar to MCM.
My reason is that it is easier to get the artwork exactly how I want it, and to make sure all my XBMC boxes have the same metadata.
I load my movies into the movies folder on my Unraid box and then scan for the metadata with Media Companion.
Then I look at what thumb and fanart media companion found and I can easily change it then if I like. Where media companion really shines is it gives you a choice of multiple thumbs and multiple fanarts to choose from.
Once I choose the ones I like I then update the XBMC boxes.

It really is a fast simple process. (That said, the most important thing whether you use XBMC or a third party scraping program is to make sure your movies are named correctly)

post #2093 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Liked: 11
There is a pretty good addon called Artwork Manager that allows you to save all your downloaded artwork to wherever you want.
post #2094 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Hmm... I'm actually going to try that now... That's the least of my worries right now though... I was so involved with setting up xbmc on my htpc that I never bothered to play any movies to see how they look... ALL of my HD movies are extremely choppy and skippy, and fast forward... some of them I can't even get the audio to work... My computer specs are:

DELL STUDIO HYBRID 140G
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT
PENTIUM T3200 2GHZ
4GB RAM
INTEL 965 EXPRESS CHIPSET VIDEO
RUNNING REALTEK HD AUDIO THROUGH HDMI

What seems to be the issue? Do I just need a new rig?

Thanks guys!
post #2095 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm... I'm actually going to try that now... That's the least of my worries right now though... I was so involved with setting up xbmc on my htpc that I never bothered to play any movies to see how they look... ALL of my HD movies are extremely choppy and skippy, and fast forward... some of them I can't even get the audio to work... My computer specs are:

DELL STUDIO HYBRID 140G
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64BIT
PENTIUM T3200 2GHZ
4GB RAM
INTEL 965 EXPRESS CHIPSET VIDEO
RUNNING REALTEK HD AUDIO THROUGH HDMI

What seems to be the issue? Do I just need a new rig?

Thanks guys!

Are your movies on the HTPC itself or on a seperate nas? DO they play with something like VLC or MPC-HC?

First thing I would try is set DXVA to 'on' in the system settings and see if that makes a difference.

If not, I would think instead of a new rig that maybe a powerful graphics card may be in your future.

post #2096 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Are your movies on the HTPC itself or on a seperate nas? DO they play with something like VLC or MPC-HC?

First thing I would try is set DXVA to 'on' in the system settings and see if that makes a difference.

If not, I would think instead of a new rig that maybe a powerful graphics card may be in your future.

Ooops!!

Thanks for reminding me..

I forgot to mention... the movies are on a 4 bay hard drive enclosure with a single 2TB drive inside hooked into the computer via USB 2.0... The movies @ 720P play perfect on VLC... in 1080P they still play perfect, but I have to make sure thats the only process running...

I would love to get a more powerful graphics card, but unfortunately, this computer is one of those proprietary dells that you cannot upgrade the video card on...
post #2097 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM

I believe that chipset pushes HD playback onto the processor which may be where the issue is with choppy playback at 1080. Also, if you have XBMC set to autoscan it may be interfering when your trying to watch something. Definitely try the settings, video, playback and select DXVA and see if that helps. If not, Mfusick just posted a nice thread on a really decent HTPC build for under $300
post #2098 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I believe that chipset pushes HD playback onto the processor which may be where the issue is with choppy playback at 1080. Also, if you have XBMC set to autoscan it may be interfering when your trying to watch something. Definitely try the settings, video, playback and select DXVA and see if that helps. If not, Mfusick just posted a nice thread on a really decent HTPC build for under $300

thanks guys...

i switched over to dxva and turned off dxva2 (hardware acceleration) and its definitely much better, although still not watchable... Is it normal that these videos play fine in VLC just not in xbmc?
post #2099 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 PM

I had the same issue with my Assassin HTPC using XBMC Eden with the HD audio patch. The way I got playback to work without issue was by turning off DVXA2, changing render method to software, turning on sync playback to display, and turning on match display refresh rate.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #2100 of 3235 Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

I had the same issue with my Assassin HTPC using XBMC Eden with the HD audio patch. The way I got playback to work without issue was by turning off DVXA2, changing render method to software, turning on sync playback to display, and turning on match display refresh rate.

Thats a HUGE help... But, still not 100% watchable... I'm thinking I need a new pc here... so it is pretty normal for vlc to play these 1080 and 720 mkv files fine, but xbmc can't pull it off?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page