XBMC Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowlege Base & Support - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #2251 of 3253 Old 05-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's only a few things preventing me from leaving Media Browser and adopting XBMC. first is setting up sorting. What I can't seem to figure out is how to simply sort my titles alphabetically regardless of file type, location (I have them spread across several drives), and if the folders are nested or not.

Example:

I have several series, and trilogy DVD's that I keep in one folder (Band of Brothers, the 'Bourne' series, etc)

It groups the nested folders alphabetically, then groups file types alphabetically. So I have two or three separate groups in one list sorted alphabetically. I hope I'm making sense..

I'm looking for the most simple setup possible:

I'd like to click on "Videos", "Music", and "Pictures" have one list of alphabetically sorted titles.

I'm sure this is due to my "noobness", and not XBMC. I'm considering paying the OP to set this up for me.. Before I do that, is my setup posible..

WAF must also be 100%..

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3253 Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl View Post

There's only a few things preventing me from leaving Media Browser and adopting XBMC. first is setting up sorting. What I can't seem to figure out is how to simply sort my titles alphabetically regardless of file type, location (I have them spread across several drives), and if the folders are nested or not.

Example:

I have several series, and trilogy DVD's that I keep in one folder (Band of Brothers, the 'Bourne' series, etc)

It groups the nested folders alphabetically, then groups file types alphabetically. So I have two or three separate groups in one list sorted alphabetically. I hope I'm making sense..

I'm looking for the most simple setup possible:

I'd like to click on "Videos", "Music", and "Pictures" have one list of alphabetically sorted titles.

I'm sure this is due to my "noobness", and not XBMC. I'm considering paying the OP to set this up for me.. Before I do that, is my setup posible..

WAF must also be 100%..

Thanks..

XBMC will allow you to have trilogies etc. in one folder. If you have all your movies (regardless of how many drives they are on) setup like the OP you won't have any issues with it scrapping for info and listing appropriately in the library.
post #2253 of 3253 Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 PM

I meant that your sequels don't need to be in one folder on your HDD, XBMC allows you to enable movie sets so a trilogy will show as one folder in your library.
post #2254 of 3253 Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I meant that your sequels don't need to be in one folder on your HDD, XBMC allows you to enable movie sets so a trilogy will show as one folder in your library.

My issue isn't so much that as it is wanting to sort, and display all videos regardless of file type, trilogies, location etc in one contiguous alphabetical list. Before when I would use a scraper, it wanted to separate my TV series (Band of Brothers, Sopranos, etc) into another list.. That's the thing I love most about MB is that it sorts everything alphabetically.. The thing that attracts me about XBMC is that I can use it independent of an OS. I'm sure XBMC is capable of this.. Myself? Not so much..

I'd gladly pay the OP for one of his setups if I can achieve this..
post #2255 of 3253 Old 05-06-2012, 04:19 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'm having issues lip-sync issues that seem to affect HD audio only, regardless of refresh rate. I haven't exhausted possible ways to fix the problem yet.
post #2256 of 3253 Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My issue isn't so much that as it is wanting to sort, and display all videos regardless of file type, trilogies, location etc in one contiguous alphabetical list. Before when I would use a scraper, it wanted to separate my TV series (Band of Brothers, Sopranos, etc) into another list..

You can force XBMC to handle miniseries, for example, as movie sets so they will not be listed separately as TV Shows. That way all versions of, say, Pride and Prejudice will be listed together.
Scrape them first as TV Shows, to collect all the show and eposode data, then edit the .nfos.
post #2257 of 3253 Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is http://forum.xbmc.org/ unreliable for anyone else? It's down very often, esp at night.
post #2258 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM

if anyone was having a problem with the Amazon Instant add-on and some DRM over the last few weeks...it is working again. So your Amazon library should now stream again in XBMC.
post #2259 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

My issue isn't so much that as it is wanting to sort, and display all videos regardless of file type, trilogies, location etc in one contiguous alphabetical list. Before when I would use a scraper, it wanted to separate my TV series (Band of Brothers, Sopranos, etc) into another list.. That's the thing I love most about MB is that it sorts everything alphabetically.. The thing that attracts me about XBMC is that I can use it independent of an OS. I'm sure XBMC is capable of this.. Myself? Not so much..

I'd gladly pay the OP for one of his setups if I can achieve this..

Give me all y`arr money ) . Joking

Now seriously, XBMC does sort stuff alphabetically, the only thing it ignores by default is the article, like "The". So the movie "The Grey" will be in the same spot in the list with the other movies that start with "G" for example. If you want to have XBMC also take into consideration the starting article (in our case, "The") there is a setting for that, and The Grey will show up with other movie that start with "T", like Transformers for example. Is this what you want to acheive?

As far as listing everything, you mean list both Movies and Tv Shows and Videos etc. into one single list ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #2260 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnztln View Post

if anyone was having a problem with the Amazon Instant add-on and some DRM over the last few weeks...it is working again. So your Amazon library should now stream again in XBMC.

So they removed the DRM? I`m asking because i just put some nice logos for the streaming services that are available for XBMC on the first page, but didn`t include Amazon due to the DRM issues.

On the other hand, the developer of the XBMC Flix Netflix addon is alive and kicking again, he just released a new version for Eden, with some bugfixes, and hopefully it will get included in the main repo again

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #2261 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have used every single media streaming device there is including sagetv, media center, boxes box, appletv, roku etc. I just recently bought a mac mini thinking maybe I was missing something again by not using XBMC. What a waste of my time. It crashes spontaneously, doesn't even offer amazon on demand, netflix, or hulu??? Am I wrong about this?. Is way too complicated for a wife to use. I know its free and all, but the thought of htpc and XBMC I don't think will last very long. Boxee already pulled their software, I don't even think you can download the hulu frontend its just a matter of time.

My 2 cents.
Mo
post #2262 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM

[quote="mohanman" I know its free and all, but the thought of htpc and XBMC I don't think will last very long.

My 2 cents.
Mo[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, your 2¢ indeed. Being free means that the developers aren't going to try and accommodate every users wishes. There's just not enough money or time, but there are others developing addons like XBMC Netflix that try to make XBMC have some of the features you are talking about. "A wife", well that's assuming they're all the same and need something simple because XBMC is just too confusing for "a wife". If what you meant was," My wife likes to point an click to watch something and doesn't want to have to set anything up," well that comment is less asinine and understandable. Unfortunately with the problems you seem to be having that's not going to happen. So do everyone a favor and stick with what you know, and don't come to a forum titled "XBMC Setup Guide" just to bash XBMC to people who actually know what they're doing and have been running XBMC just fine.
post #2263 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about XBMC before I return the Mac Mini. 700.00 is a lot of money to use for a program that crashes randomly. I'll stick with my boxee box for now. The wife I refer to is educated and not a nerd, so technology stuff isn't her strong point.. in fact I think most females won't go over to a guys house on a date, pick up the remote and start using xbmc like its familiar to them.

Mo
post #2264 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

So they removed the DRM? I`m asking because i just put some nice logos for the streaming services that are available for XBMC on the first page, but didn`t include Amazon due to the DRM issues.

On the other hand, the developer of the XBMC Flix Netflix addon is alive and kicking again, he just released a new version for Eden, with some bugfixes, and hopefully it will get included in the main repo again

I can't tell if the DRM was removed altogether, or was changed so that XBMC's add-on from Blucop fall under the allowed devices, or if the FLASH_DRM itself got an update that changed it back. nothing from the user side needed to be done.

But the DRM warning that used to show is gone, and content plays just as before. fingers crossed this is permanent.

I run unbox on my HTPC and download unBox to a folder in WMC, so it isnt the end of the world, more a convenience to be able to stream rather than download.
post #2265 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman View Post

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about XBMC before I return the Mac Mini. 700.00 is a lot of money to use for a program that crashes randomly. I'll stick with my boxee box for now. The wife I refer to is educated and not a nerd, so technology stuff isn't her strong point.. in fact I think most females won't go over to a guys house on a date, pick up the remote and start using xbmc like its familiar to them.

Mo

$700 for an XBMC setup is really expensive if you're not gaming on it. I would return it regardless.
post #2266 of 3253 Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM

yeah, Mac Mini is not a great solution. i have a $300 Asus AMD E-450 powered Nettop that powers my entire HTPC, including WMC LiveTV and powers through 1080p Blu-ray rips like a champ.
post #2267 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I have used every single media streaming device there is including sagetv, media center, boxes box, appletv, roku etc. I just recently bought a mac mini thinking maybe I was missing something again by not using XBMC. What a waste of my time. It crashes spontaneously, doesn't even offer amazon on demand, netflix, or hulu??? Am I wrong about this?. Is way too complicated for a wife to use. I know its free and all, but the thought of htpc and XBMC I don't think will last very long. Boxee already pulled their software, I don't even think you can download the hulu frontend its just a matter of time.

My 2 cents.
Mo

One of the most uninformed and trollish posts I've seen here. You managed to demand support for other streaming services ignoring the fact that XBMC is a media center, not just 'online streamer', and implied that it won't last long even though its been around for a decade and is used by a ton of other free and commercial projects.
post #2268 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hopefully someone uses the Xperience 1080 skin or is familiar enough with XBMC to help me out. I am using the Xperience 1080 skin and when you click on the "Games" button in the applications screen, it prompts you to set up Advanced Launcher. I did this by setting up a few emulators, game folders, artwork, etc. I then created some additional buttons to launch system specific games (like SNES, MAME, etc.) by adding them to favorites.

After doing this, I would have thought that when I select the "Games" button it would take me to game specific folders/items, but it shows the entire list of launch-able items I created with Advanced Launcher instead of just my games (or game related material). For example, it shows my emulator/games folders as well as the launcher for Chrome (internet browser), and whatever else I set Advanced Launcher up to launch. Is there a way to fix this so it only offers game specific choices when going into "games" or does that button simply operate as a way to access advanced launcher and everything you set up in it?
post #2269 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

One of the most uninformed and trollish posts I've seen here. You managed to demand support for other streaming services ignoring the fact that XBMC is a media center, not just 'online streamer', and implied that it won't last long even though its been around for a decade and is used by a ton of other free and commercial projects.

Yeah I'm a butthead I admit it. I didn't give XBMC a chance, probably because I didn't find the interface initially that easy to use and didn't even know about repositories. Well, I have to admit, after some guilt, that XBMC is indeed one of the best media players I have ever used. I got some add ons to work, and I find it more stable than the boxee box itself. Please forgive.. and let me into your cult
Mo
post #2270 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I wouldn't call us a cult.. a bunch of crazy fools.
OK.. but cult... no
post #2271 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . but the thought of htpc and XBMC I don't think will last very long. . . . its just a matter of time.

My 2 cents.
Mo

Huh? It's already been around longer than you have. . . . and is still growing.
post #2272 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM

I want to upgrade my video card that has fully Bitstreaming via HDMI - DTS-HD Master Audio*, Dolby TrueHD*, LPCM, DTS, Dolby Digital (AC3), below is what i have right now, anyone suggesting a good video replacing this?. THanks in advance.

HIS H485Q1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

P.S. I tried to post link on newegg but I doesn't allow me too.
post #2273 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
jvinhj240, can you only use AMD (Radeon) cards or can you also use nVidia cards?

My favorite
post #2274 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM

jmmesch, any card will be ok!
post #2275 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have the nvidia gt430.. works great!

Picked it up with rebate for $40 last year I think

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121397
post #2276 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I also have the nVidia GT430 in my HTPC. It works great with Master, TrueHD, LPCM (AVR goes on EX Surround, for the latter), DD+, DTS and DD.

Also outputs to 1080p 24 and 1080p 60 if you screen can support both or either.

My favorite
post #2277 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post

I want to upgrade my video card that has fully Bitstreaming via HDMI - DTS-HD Master Audio*, Dolby TrueHD*, LPCM, DTS, Dolby Digital (AC3), below is what i have right now, anyone suggesting a good video replacing this?. THanks in advance.

HIS H485Q1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

P.S. I tried to post link on newegg but I doesn't allow me too.

Can you be more specific on the reason for your upgrade?
post #2278 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Joe, I want to upgrade my video card that has fully Bitstreaming via HDMI - DTS-HD Master Audio*, Dolby TrueHD*, LPCM, DTS, Dolby Digital (AC3),
post #2279 of 3253 Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hi Folks - just a heads up that HD Audio has now been merged with the master code and will be included in xbmc official nightly builds (from 10 May) here http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

Enjoy
post #2280 of 3253 Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 AM

Great news!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page