post #211 of 3233 Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black993 View Post

Exactly, Damian. Want to be able to bitstream!

BTW, I've been hitting your site up quite a bit for help setting stuff up. Its been a HUGE help. Much appreciated

Glad to hear you have enjoyed the site. Don't hesitate to ask via forum or pm if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3233 Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Possibly the OP wants to bitstream HD Audio which XBMC's built in player does not handle.
No, but DSPlayer and MPC-HC do, and are free.

Quote:
Also, XBMC's player does not handle BR menus, only main movie
So what else is worth ripping? Lossy soundtracks? "Making of" featurettes? Trailers? Disney's "Magic of Blu-ray" commercial? I'm not being snide--I just don't see the point (and I don't have OCD).
post #213 of 3233 Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Exactly, Damian. Want to be able to bitstream!
Me, too. As I mentioned above, DSPlayer will do this, within the XBMC interface, and so will MPC-HC, as an external player. (Setup is same as for TMT or PDVD.) Both are free.
post #214 of 3233 Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post
No, but DSPlayer and MPC-HC do, and are free.
Correct, but once again neither DSPlayer nor MPC HC handle full BR menus if that is your thing. When/If DSPlayer becomes "official" or XBMC finally adds HD Audio support internally then of course for bitstreaming HD Audio thing would become a moot point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post
So what else is worth ripping? Lossy soundtracks? "Making of" featurettes? Trailers? Disney's "Magic of Blu-ray" commercial? I'm not being snide--I just don't see the point (and I don't have OCD).
I only rip the main movie as well but there are other people who want the extras, deleted scenes, etc...

Cheers,
Damian

post #215 of 3233 Old 12-31-2010, 05:56 AM

As much as I hate to say it, I've moved on from XBMC (to media portal). While I know it was just something I overlooked, I couldn't get XBMC to use mpc-hc as an external player. I didn't go the DSPlayer route because (from what I think I understand) dharma (official release) didn't support DSPlayer, but I wanted to keep my Showmix theme (I'm a sucker for eye candy, what can I say...)

I spent a few hours, over the course of a few days, messing with the playercorefactory XML file, I tried going the advancedsettings XML route (just in case) and neither were able to use MPC-HC.

Had MediaPortal up and bitstreaming fairly quickly. Its a bit slower than XBMC, but so far its working.......
I'm sure I'll go back to XBMC once they integrate HD Audio.

Been ripping to MKV for the time being instead of Bluray structure though. Seems to be a bit easier to manage at this point.
post #216 of 3233 Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've managed to use the dsplayer version of dharma without any issues - bitstreaming works nicely. I use the aeon mq 2 (?) skin and all is smooth

I'll check out mediaportal as well - I've dumped 7mc

Quote:

As much as I hate to say it, I've moved on from XBMC (to media portal). While I know it was just something I overlooked, I couldn't get XBMC to use mpc-hc as an external player. I didn't go the DSPlayer route because (from what I think I understand) dharma (official release) didn't support DSPlayer, but I wanted to keep my Showmix theme (I'm a sucker for eye candy, what can I say...)

I spent a few hours, over the course of a few days, messing with the playercorefactory XML file, I tried going the advancedsettings XML route (just in case) and neither were able to use MPC-HC.

Had MediaPortal up and bitstreaming fairly quickly. Its a bit slower than XBMC, but so far its working.......

Been ripping to MKV for the time being instead of Bluray structure though. Seems to be a bit easier to manage at this point.

post #217 of 3233 Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When/If . . . XBMC finally adds HD Audio support internally then of course for bitstreaming HD Audio thing would become a moot point

I read that this is due with "Eden" (mid 2011 under the revised releasing scheme). Does anyone have any actual info?
post #218 of 3233 Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . I've moved on from XBMC (to media portal).

I followed a similar path a while back. In MP, I used the MPC video codec and host of others for .m2ts files. IIRC MP required an add-on for library functions. That's probably changed. (Then I gave up on HTPCs altogether for a while and relied on the TViX M-6500a. I've only come back within the last year, for the libary function -- and using MPC as an external player under Camelot.)

Quote:

While I know it was just something I overlooked, I couldn't get XBMC to use mpc-hc as an external player.

I'll be the first to admit that it's a kludge.

Quote:

I didn't go the DSPlayer route because (from what I think I understand) dharma (official release) didn't support DSPlayer. . .

It does.

Quote:

Soon, I hope. XBMC does everything else so well.
post #219 of 3233 Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post

I've managed to use the dsplayer version of dharma without any issues - bitstreaming works nicely. I use the aeon mq 2 (?) skin and all is smooth

I'll check out mediaportal as well - I've dumped 7mc

Which version are you using since the XBMC 10 is still without dsplayer... I've tried to use the XMBC w/ dsplayer build but it seems not stable at all..
post #220 of 3233 Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

Which version are you using since the XBMC 10 is still without dsplayer... I've tried to use the XMBC w/ dsplayer build but it seems not stable at all..

I downloaded it from post #152
I haven't had any issues with HD bitstreaming
only issue has been:

1) I use Aeon MV2 and sometime on restarts, the skin defaults back to Confluence

2) The music library is a bit flaky - scans but doesn't default into library mode; just a bunch of blank covers

I love the Aeon skin - I keep bouncing from 7mc, XBMC, popcorn hours, etc
post #221 of 3233 Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Updates tomorrow
-> Creating custom movie folders, like kids movies (based on the Aeon MQ theme)

Hello all,

I am new here and just trying to digest EVERYTHING. After tinkering for way too long with WMC I have decided to go to XBMC for a better WAF experience. The only thing missing for me is getting all the kid stuff easily accessible on the home screen. I noticed that you were going to write up on that greeneyez. I would be so appreciative.

Thanks everyone for all the great knowledge in this forum!
post #222 of 3233 Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
Quote:

Sigh..... no one wants to read the posts here. If you want to bitstream from XBMC currently you either need to use the DSPLayer build or launch MPC HC from XBMC:

MPC HC:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...layer-in-xbmc/

DSPlayer:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...sing-dsplayer/

i'd sure like to utilize bitstreaming HD but that install looks rough
post #223 of 3233 Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

i'd sure like to utilize bitstreaming HD but that install looks rough

Its not, as long as you get FFDshow setup right. That (at least for me) was the toughest part.
post #224 of 3233 Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
i can build the world with my hands but software is surely not my thing
post #225 of 3233 Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fucheeno View Post

Hello all,

I am new here and just trying to digest EVERYTHING. After tinkering for way too long with WMC I have decided to go to XBMC for a better WAF experience. The only thing missing for me is getting all the kid stuff easily accessible on the home screen. I noticed that you were going to write up on that greeneyez. I would be so appreciative.

Thanks everyone for all the great knowledge in this forum!

I made a post about doing this via the web interface probably 2-3 pages back. Give it a look.
post #226 of 3233 Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Liked: 31
For anyone who is having playback issues, via stuttering and what not, i ran into this little problem...

When using two displays, one monitor and my projector. Projector hooked up via hdmi and monitor vga. I ran into an issue where 1/4 of the bottom of the screen would not keep sync with the rest of the screen... this issue was only really noticable on 16:9 movies in 235:1 the black bars covered most of it up...

This issue only appeared when using xbmc, ds player and non.... and in all builds... I spent hours re doing drivers and what not... I use an ati 5450 and run everything in 720p as well because i thought it was a power issue...

Appearently in CCC when you right click a display an option comes up as make peferred display... When you Don't do this, it can cause video play back issues.

After doing this i now have no problem with the bottom of the screen, the video is not jerky after resuming from pause, and the picture quality is better...
post #227 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

I made a post about doing this via the web interface probably 2-3 pages back. Give it a look.

I think i`ve found an easier way of doing this with Aeon MQ and it`s new menu customization options, easier than with the web interface. I`m going to add it today, inc ei`m finished toying around with it.
post #228 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Some good news. The new Audio Engine branch is almost finished. HD audio bitstreaming works fine with Ati, there are still some minor issues with Nvidia but will get sorted out. It`s still going to take a month or so until it gets included in the main XBMC branch, but progress is being made very fast.
post #229 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

I think i`ve found an easier way of doing this with Aeon MQ and it`s new menu customization options, easier than with the web interface. I`m going to add it today, inc ei`m finished toying around with it.

Is this with the shortcut menus? I'm interested to see what the process is.
post #230 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

XBMC may be getting ported over to Sigma players which means an HTPC may no longer be the only option (not counting ATV) for XBMC:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...sigma-players/

Cheers,
Damian

post #231 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm new to XBMC and with the setup I have I'm not sure where to turn to except the experts at AVSforums!

I have a generation 1 AppleTV with XBMC installed. I also have a HTPC in another room with 3TB of storage, ripped Blu-rays and video files. I would like to play those on the AppleTV using XBMC but I'm having trouble sharing.

It's the age old AppleOS no liking Windows. So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and if so what they did.

I have the folders shared on my windows machine and XBMC on the ATV can find the computer but when it asks for the username/password it doesn't advance past that stage. I've inputted the correct combo and can't figure it out. I've even tried the IP address of the computer...no dice.

Any help would be appreciated. The root question is an Apple install of XBMC not being able to view videos from a Windows 7 PC.
post #232 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Well this thread is very interesting.

I have been testing both WMC and XBMC on my desktop running Win7 64bit Ultimate, so far have been having better luck with XBMC.

Had problems getting WMC to play MKV files, then installed Haali splitter, it now plays but is very choppy.

The XBMC plays them without problems. (But I am a little concerned about HD audio, I will only be able to test once I have my HTPC hooked up to my AVR)

I just bought Zotac Zbox and plan to use as my HTPC.

I am thinking about using XBMC Live, Win7 64 Bit and try out Dharma (Have never really used Linux).

I am hoping to have triple boot option where I can pick where I want to go, reason being, in Canada we can get streamed network shows like Hula, but you need to go to the networks sights to play them.

Any help on this would be appreciated, or point me in the right direction

Also, does Media Center Master really work better than the XBMC scrapper?

Thanks
post #233 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuhl87 View Post

I'm new to XBMC and with the setup I have I'm not sure where to turn to except the experts at AVSforums!

I have a generation 1 AppleTV with XBMC installed. I also have a HTPC in another room with 3TB of storage, ripped Blu-rays and video files. I would like to play those on the AppleTV using XBMC but I'm having trouble sharing.

It's the age old AppleOS no liking Windows. So I'm wondering if anyone has this setup and if so what they did.

I have the folders shared on my windows machine and XBMC on the ATV can find the computer but when it asks for the username/password it doesn't advance past that stage. I've inputted the correct combo and can't figure it out. I've even tried the IP address of the computer...no dice.

Any help would be appreciated. The root question is an Apple install of XBMC not being able to view videos from a Windows 7 PC.

Can the original ATV even handle ripped blurays, I didn't think so (unless you either added a CrystalHD card or you encoded your blurays down)?

Cheers,
Damian

post #234 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Yeah to do 1080p I'd need a card, but I'm not too worried about it since my projector is only 720p.

I was assuming that XBMC would downconvert a 1080p to a 720p screen with minimal effort, but if not I guess I'll have to downconvert using handbreak or something.
post #235 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkuhl87 View Post
Yeah to do 1080p I'd need a card, but I'm not too worried about it since my projector is only 720p.

I was assuming that XBMC would downconvert a 1080p to a 720p screen with minimal effort, but if not I guess I'll have to downconvert using handbreak or something.
I think the issue is the ATV hardware cannot handle 1080p (whether natively or downconverting). I haven't dusted off my ATV in a while though so hopefully other can confirm

Cheers,
Damian

post #236 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

ah, yuck...

In that case, the $50 1080p crystalHD card looks like a steal.

I was really just looking for a cheap way to play with XBMC and I found a used ATV for $85.
post #237 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 View Post

Well this thread is very interesting.

I have been testing both WMC and XBMC on my desktop running Win7 64bit Ultimate, so far have been having better luck with XBMC.

Had problems getting WMC to play MKV files, then installed Haali splitter, it now plays but is very choppy.

The XBMC plays them without problems. (But I am a little concerned about HD audio, I will only be able to test once I have my HTPC hooked up to my AVR)

I just bought Zotac Zbox and plan to use as my HTPC.

I am thinking about using XBMC Live, Win7 64 Bit and try out Dharma (Have never really used Linux).

I am hoping to have triple boot option where I can pick where I want to go, reason being, in Canada we can get streamed network shows like Hula, but you need to go to the networks sights to play them.

Any help on this would be appreciated, or point me in the right direction

Also, does Media Center Master really work better than the XBMC scrapper?

Thanks

Since you have Win 7 already I see no reason to go with XBMC Live.
Just download XBMC for Windows and you should be all set.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #238 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Since you have Win 7 already I see no reason to go with XBMC Live.
Just download XBMC for Windows and you should be all set.

I should better explain myself

I do not yet have my zotac zbox I have been testing on my desktop which is a lot more powerful than the zotac

I am just worried running win7 64bit on the zotac may tax it too much

I should receive it next week and will try it out then

Since I can only run 4 gig in this rig am I better off installing 32 bit or 64 bit (I bought it with 4 gig mem and 250 gig HD) all my movies are on my WHS
post #239 of 3233 Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

Thanks frank, but I ended up using some great directions in the aeon mq thread on the xbmc forums.

Next step is dialing in the harmony remote...
post #240 of 3233 Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsrac1967 View Post

I should better explain myself

I do not yet have my zotac zbox I have been testing on my desktop which is a lot more powerful than the zotac

I am just worried running win7 64bit on the zotac may tax it too much

I should receive it next week and will try it out then

Since I can only run 4 gig in this rig am I better off installing 32 bit or 64 bit (I bought it with 4 gig mem and 250 gig HD) all my movies are on my WHS

XBMC + Win7 work just fine on an Atom. The Aeon MQ theme, not so much. You need a "real" CPU to run all the eye-candy Aeon MQ offers + the unlimited customization options.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page