post #451 of 555 Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Just brought a Hauppauge Colossus card, and I would like to install it in HTPC for viewing and capturing HD and non-hd programs on Dish Network.
The HTPC is connected to a Denon 4311CI AVR. I was under an impression that the Colossus card will be having a coaxial port to attach the cable from the 2nd TV from the 722k receiver. I am not sure how to make this work.
Please guide me on how to connect the card, to the htpc and the 722k reciever.

The Colossus came with a set of component video cables. Use those to connect the Colossus to the component video outputs of your Dish box (the red-blue-green RCA jacks) You'll have to get your own digital optical audio cable if you want a digital audio connection from your box to the Colossus

Coax would not be HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 555 Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I bought an inexpensive HDMI splitter from Monoprice. I run the Directv output to the Input of the splitter and from the splitter one HDMI out goes to AVR and the other goes to Colossus. That was easiest setup for me.
post #453 of 555 Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Just brought a Hauppauge Colossus card, and I would like to install it in HTPC for viewing and capturing HD and non-hd programs on Dish Network.
The HTPC is connected to a Denon 4311CI AVR. I was under an impression that the Colossus card will be having a coaxial port to attach the cable from the 2nd TV from the 722k receiver. I am not sure how to make this work.

Just one card / one dish box?
Get the Hauppauge for Windows Media Center 7 software from Hauppauge website and the updated drivers and follow the instructions.

Your HTPC will run Win7 media center (if you have win7 home premium or better running on it) and that becomes your TV control / DVR.

Bonus - take a look at DVBlogic.com and the tool here http://1geek1tool.com/colossus

With that driver and DVBLogic you can run 4 of them in a PC and control 4 boxes... (hardest part is finding a motherboard with 4 pci-e slots...)

Replace the 722 with two vip 211's and an xbox360 (wired network please...) and you have both TV's.
There is a post or 2 on the dvblogic forums where a couple guys and me discuss setting up with multiple Colossus cards.
post #454 of 555 Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 AM

I'm having problems again capturing with the Colossus. Previously I couldn't capture anything using the card and that problem was solved by moving the card to a different PCIe slot. Now I'm having the same problems again. Just really strange since this only impacts the Capture portion of the card. In device manager the capture portion has an exclamation point, stating the device could not be started properly. I downloaded the latest version of the drivers from Hauppauge with no change. Guess it's time to report this to Hauppauge as possibly a bad card since I don't have another open PCIe slot to use. The card had been working fine with multiple captures from my DirecTV receiver with zero problems.
post #455 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

post #456 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Colossus Driver 1.3.30079 out
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=12418.0

I haven't updated my Colossus driver in at least a year, but it has worked flawlessly for me during that time. I am certainly reluctant to mess with success, but am I missing anything by not upgrading at some point? Is there anything new and great that these drivers do?

Does that "downscaling" function work on existing recordings to convert them to a smaller format?
post #457 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I haven't updated my Colossus driver in at least a year, but it has worked flawlessly for me during that time. I am certainly reluctant to mess with success, but am I missing anything by not upgrading at some point? Is there anything new and great that these drivers do?

If doing ok with what you ready have then don't mess with it as for rest no your not missing much any way

Quote:

Does that "downscaling" function work on existing recordings to convert them to a smaller format?

I think it only for Real Time Capture I have look in to it that some more I hoping this set of drivers work out better the last one 1.3.29361 which to me was not good at all under SageTV
post #458 of 555 Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anywhere to get updates to the Showbiz software that came with my Colossus a year ago? Do they even bother to fix bugs or update this program?

What other alternative capture software works well with the Colossus?
post #459 of 555 Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:

I use the Colossus with my Directv HR24-500. I can use the output from the HDMI connection or the component connection on the DVR into the Colossus for video. The HR24 also has an optical output for digital sound. I cannot remember as I write this if it has a coaxial output. Directv does not copy protect its non- pay per view programs, so the HR 24 can be streamed to the Colossus, and the output recorded to the hard drive with the Showbiz program. I don't know about Dish's policies in that regard.

I run the HDMI output of the Colossus to my Onkyo receiver, and the receiver to my tv. The component output can also be used for the same purpose, using the optical or the stereo RCA output from the Colossus to send audio to your receiver. I assume you will be using your receiver to switch between the audio and video sources which are fed to your TV.

Hope that helps.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #460 of 555 Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So tomorrow DirecTV is replacing my ancient HR20-700 DVR with a brand spanking new 5-tuner, 1TB HR34 "Home Media Center". The Hr20 has been what is connected to my htpc and Colossus. Only problem is the HR34 had digital coax rather than digital optical audio.

I ordered a Cables To Go - 40018 - Coaxial to Optical Digital Audio Converter. Has anyone dealt with using a converter like this to feed optical audio to their Colossus? I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work, but figured someone here must have already faced this issue.

Thanks.
post #461 of 555 Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:

So tomorrow DirecTV is replacing my ancient HR20-700 DVR with a brand spanking new 5-tuner, 1TB HR34 "Home Media Center". The Hr20 has been what is connected to my htpc and Colossus. Only problem is the HR34 had digital coax rather than digital optical audio.

I ordered a Cables To Go - 40018 - Coaxial to Optical Digital Audio Converter. Has anyone dealt with using a converter like this to feed optical audio to their Colossus? I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work, but figured someone here must have already faced this issue.

Thanks.

I am looking forward to seeing a response to this. Not sure why they dropped the optical connection. I hope those converters are reliable and seamless.

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #462 of 555 Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post

I am looking forward to seeing a response to this. Not sure why they dropped the optical connection. I hope those converters are reliable and seamless.

I hope so too. I suppose if it doesn't, I'll have to rearrange receivers to get one with optical by this HTPC, but that may not be a popular move in the household.

I'll let you know.

As an aside, for the past month or so, I've had a strange problem whereby the Colossus and Showbiz sometimes seem to complete a recording and the file size looks right, but any player used to play the file, and Windows itself, report that the recording is only a few minutes or seconds long and only that first small bit will play back. I am at a loss because nothing had changed and this had never happened in the first 8 months of use. I'm hoping it's related to the problems with the old HR20 and will be resolved by the installation of the new DirecTV receiver, but I'm not really confident they are related. Have you ever heard of this occurring? Thanks.
post #463 of 555 Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I hope those converters are reliable and seamless.

Converting electricity to light, with an LED, is not a difficult task.
post #464 of 555 Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Converting electricity to light, with an LED, is not a difficult task.

I bought two CO2 brand coax to optical bidirectional converters several years ago and they have worked flawlessly.
post #465 of 555 Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
SHS in your experience have you had video glitches with the various driver sets?

If so which driver set did you have the least amount of glitches and greatest stability?
post #466 of 555 Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Hoping someone might be able to help me with this:

I realize this is a long shot, but I'm working with some software that
handles the output from a Colossus using a DirectShow graph (rcTVcap), I'm
trying to find the property set GUIDs for the bitrate mode, bitrate,
and peak bitrate, so I can control those programatically without
having to manually change them in the property sheet.

I was able to find them for the HD PVR here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1015617/hauppauge-wintv-hd-pvr-h-264-screenshot/2460#post_14480356

but now I have the Colossus and I'm not sure how to get the GUIDs for
the bitrate settings

the AVS user who found them for the HD PVR (the_tom) didn't say how he did it and hasn't been active in 4 years. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
post #467 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 10:11 AM

Looking to get a Colossus but wanted to see if what I read is correct.

Hooking up from my Directv HR34 box out HDMI to HDMI in on the Colossus will get me audio and video which I can record? I'm not looking to do live TV just recordings on the DVR and not any premium channels, just normal channels in HD. HD isn't even a priority, just need the content to be somewhat viewable after I record it to a disc or thumb drive.

post #468 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the component video and a digital coax to digital optical audio adapter to hook up to my HR34 and get excellent HD DD 5.1 recordings.
post #469 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Looking to get a Colossus but wanted to see if what I read is correct.
Hooking up from my Directv HR34 box out HDMI to HDMI in on the Colossus will get me audio and video which I can record? I'm not looking to do live TV just recordings on the DVR and not any premium channels, just normal channels in HD. HD isn't even a priority, just need the content to be somewhat viewable after I record it to a disc or thumb drive.
BMLocal175,

Colossus will do the job. You will need to buy 30-40 feet HDMI cable and active HDMI splitter. It will be much better to run just one digital HDMI cable from your DVR to your PC in the basement than five analog video/audio cables. And HDMI cable is less prone to interference.

This is the splitter I bought: http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-splitter-swither-XBOX360-Blu-ray/dp/B003UYOEMI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
post #470 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 AM

I have a 30ft HDMI on its way that I ordered yesterday, to hook the PC up to the TV upstairs. I only need to capture video off of the directv box once in awhile. Can I just hook up the 30ft cable from the directv box to the capture card, record my content, then hook everything back up the way it was? Do I NEED to have the directv hooked up to the TV when recording to the PC?

post #471 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can I just hook up the 30ft cable from the directv box to the capture card, record my content, then hook everything back up the way it was?
Yes, you can as long as recorded programs are not premium movie copy-protected channels.
Quote:

Do I NEED to have the directv hooked up to the TV when recording to the PC?
I don't think so.
post #472 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I think it's asking for trouble to use HDMI. DirecTV has, for the past year or so, continued to add more and more HDCP to its systems and to more channels. Personal choice, but I think using component/optical is less trouble and more future proof.

And you can buy 30ft component video cable sets too. You don't run 5 seperate cables. And then you don't need to be plugging and unplugging cables.
post #473 of 555 Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Well I will just have to try the HDMI and if it doesn't work, I will get the component. Thanks for all the help. Got a Bluray drive and the colossus on the way. Hopefully get this htpc up and running this week.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

post #474 of 555 Old 07-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Well install went well, now I'm just waiting for my HDMI cable to come.

I take it being 30ft from the Directv box the IR blaster and remote will not work? I was reading about the WinTV extend. Am I really going to be able to watch tv on the supported devices anywhere in the house?

post #475 of 555 Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I take it being 30ft from the Directv box the IR blaster and remote will not work?
Don't you have RF mode on your remote and your HR34 that can work through walls?
post #476 of 555 Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Don't you have RF mode on your remote and your HR34 that can work through walls?

RF mode on what? How do I set that all up?

post #477 of 555 Old 07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RF mode on what? How do I set that all up?
RF mode for remote. By default DTV remotes are set for IR mode.

I don't have HR34, so I will show how it is done on my HR24 with RC65RX remote.

1. Press MENU button.
2. Scroll to "Settings & Help", then select "Settings" to the right and press SELECT button.
3. Scroll to "Remote Control" option and press SELECT button.
4. "Program Remote" option is selected so press SELECT button.
5. Then press "OK, Continue" and get "Select mode..." screen.
6. Select "Advanced" option and press SELECT button.
7. Then select "IR/RF Setup" option.

I don't remember what goes next but it should be pretty easy.
post #478 of 555 Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

RF mode for remote. By default DTV remotes are set for IR mode.
I don't have HR34, so I will show how it is done on my HR24 with RC65RX remote.
1. Press MENU button.
2. Scroll to "Settings & Help", then select "Settings" to the right and press SELECT button.
3. Scroll to "Remote Control" option and press SELECT button.
4. "Program Remote" option is selected so press SELECT button.
5. Then press "OK, Continue" and get "Select mode..." screen.
6. Select "Advanced" option and press SELECT button.
7. Then select "IR/RF Setup" option.
I don't remember what goes next but it should be pretty easy.

i guess I'm confused on the remote part of this.

The Colossus came with a remote and blaster, I figure this will run the colossus at my PC but its in the basement so I won't really see whats going on with the TV in the living room unless it shows up on my PC screen in the basement of what I want to record. I thought the blaster went on top of the cable box to control it but that can't happen. I guess I will have to wait and see what I'm missing here.

post #479 of 555 Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM

One thing I always wondered about the HDPVR and this guy (Colossus). I have WMC 7 set up to blast my DirecTV box now. I use the blaster from the MCE remote and it works great. (Use a Hauppauge 2250 for svideo in). If I get one of these, can I use the same setup, or do I have to use the blaster that comes with the Hauppauge unit?drink
post #480 of 555 Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i guess I'm confused on the remote part of this.
The Colossus came with a remote and blaster, I figure this will run the colossus at my PC but its in the basement so I won't really see whats going on with the TV in the living room unless it shows up on my PC screen in the basement of what I want to record. I thought the blaster went on top of the cable box to control it but that can't happen. I guess I will have to wait and see what I'm missing here.
BMLocal175,

Sorry for confusion.

I was talking about DirecTV remote control. If you set your DTV remote control to RF mode you should be able to control your HR34 from 20-30 feet from your basement. If it works, then you can:

1. Go to your basement, turn on PC, open Showbiz, click on CAPTURE module.
2. It will open new Showbiz window and will show the screen (kinda like TV window) and you will see whatever is showing on your DVR.
3. Then you navigate to the program that you want to record with your DTV remote control from your basement.
4. Then start recording with Colossus.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page