Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 555 Old 12-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post

What is a CableCard? From a quick search I see it's a PCMCIA card, my PC doesn't have a PCMCIA slot, would I need to add hardware to be able to use PCMCIA cards on my desktop? Do you hook put the cable to this CableCard and the CableCard to the desktop?

Also, I'm with Videotron in Quebec and it's not clear if they support CableCards or not.

In any case, how is a CableCard better than a capture card and cable box (again, I have no idea what a cablecard is or does)?

Thanks

No cablecard in Canada (except inside Shaw's cable boxes) as the Cable companies are not required by law to allow them as in the US.

I use the Colossus with my Rogers box no problem. I can't use both the HDMI and component out at the same with my box, so I have to pass through the signal from the Colossus to the TV. Included RF Blaster switches the channels, but you may have to set up all the channels manually, as I have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 555 Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post

No cablecard in Canada (except inside Shaw's cable boxes) as the Cable companies are not required by law to allow them as in the US.

I use the Colossus with my Rogers box no problem. I can't use both the HDMI and component out at the same with my box, so I have to pass through the signal from the Colossus to the TV. Included RF Blaster switches the channels, but you may have to set up all the channels manually, as I have

Why are you outputting the video signal from your cable box to the TV rather than the video output of the PC itself?

What do you mean by setup the channels manually? What TV software do you use on the PC and does it have a program guide?

I heard the previous "boxed" (non card) version of the colossus had reliability issues and had to be reset every now and then, is this an issue with the Colossus? In nearly 10 years of using Beyond TV and my Hauppage analog tuner card I never had an issue, I'd like something as reliable.

Thanks
post #543 of 555 Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Why are you outputting the video signal from your cable box to the TV rather than the video output of the PC itself?

What do you mean by setup the channels manually? What TV software do you use on the PC and does it have a program guide?

I heard the previous "boxed" (non card) version of the colossus had reliability issues and had to be reset every now and then, is this an issue with the Colossus? In nearly 10 years of using Beyond TV and my Hauppage analog tuner card I never had an issue, I'd like something as reliable.

Thanks

"passthrough" Cable Box > Colossus > HDTV The signal is unaffected by the computer; the computer doesn't even have to be on (it does have to be plugged in) for me to watch TV.
post #544 of 555 Old 02-01-2014, 11:25 AM

I've been using my Colossus for a few weeks an it works great except every now and then it seems to miss the first digit of the channel when IR blasting it to my cable box. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to occur mostly on shows that should record on channel 602, the box often ends up on channel 2 instead, as if it missed the first digit.

Is this a known issue? When I bought the Colossus someone I beleive on these forums recommended I not use the included IR blaster, is this why I was told that and what are the alternatives and how do you configure WMC to use the new blaster if I end up getting one?

Thanks
post #545 of 555 Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I've been using my Colossus for a few weeks an it works great except every now and then it seems to miss the first digit of the channel when IR blasting it to my cable box. I don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to occur mostly on shows that should record on channel 602, the box often ends up on channel 2 instead, as if it missed the first digit.

Is this a known issue? When I bought the Colossus someone I beleive on these forums recommended I not use the included IR blaster, is this why I was told that and what are the alternatives and how do you configure WMC to use the new blaster if I end up getting one?

Thanks

Are you using only WMC to record? I have used both WinTV7 and NextPVR and have not had any issues with the blaster. Run blast config and make sure that you have the correct box set. Also, if you click the "Advanced Config" button, you can fiddle around with the delays. Maybe that would help.
post #546 of 555 Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 PM

Based on the this thread I think what I want to do will work, but I wanted to double check before I buy stuff.

Currently I have an XMBC running on windows 7, which connects to my TV via hdmi. My movies sit on a QNAP NAS. Now I have read that NEXTPVR can be used as a good recording back-end, while XBMC can be used as a front end. I am wondering if anyone else is using this particular setup, or if you could recommend another app.
I am with Rogers and have an HD Cable BOX.

I was looking at purchasing a hauppauge colossus card. My goal is to be able to record SD and HD TV as per a schedule and then play back the content via XBMC or NextPVR

My current setup is the following:

Scientific Atlanta Cable Box -> (Coax cable) Rogers HDTV Box-CISCO 4642HD (HDMI)-> Samsung TV

New setup

Scientific Atlanta Cable Box -> (Coax cable) Rogers HDTV Box-CISCO 4642HD (HDMI|Component)-> XBMC BOX with Colossus card (HDMI)-> Samsung TV

My questions are:

1) Would this setup work?

2) Should I use the HDMI or component input on the Colossus card?

3) The HDMI out on the XBMC box is actually a Nvidia GeForce 610 card, which is what I use to stream MKV blu-ray rips from my QNAP NAS to my samsung TV. Would this be adequate?

4) Any recommendations regarding ir blaster that will work?

Thanks in advance.

post #547 of 555 Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM

For what it's worth, I have Cisco 4642HD>Component Video Cable>Colossus>Component Video Cable>HDTV and that works.

Also, last time I tried it, the Rogers Cisco 4642HD would not output to both the the component and the HDMI at the same time, if that is a factor.

I still use the crappy WinTV, and my HTPC runs Windows 7, so I can't help much on the rest. Trying a PVR software is on the "to do" list, so if you do try NEXTPVR, please post.

As an aside, why do you have one cable box going into another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancharles View Post

Based on the this thread I think what I want to do will work, but I wanted to double check before I buy stuff.

Currently I have an XMBC running on windows 7, which connects to my TV via hdmi. My movies sit on a QNAP NAS. Now I have read that NEXTPVR can be used as a good recording back-end, while XBMC can be used as a front end. I am wondering if anyone else is using this particular setup, or if you could recommend another app.

I was looking at purchasing a hauppauge colossus card. My goal is to be able to record SD and HD TV as per a schedule and then play back the content via XBMC or NextPVR

Scientific Atlanta Cable Box -> (Coax cable) Rogers HDTV Box-CISCO 4642HD (HDMI)-> Samsung TV

New setup

Scientific Atlanta Cable Box -> (Coax cable) Rogers HDTV Box-CISCO 4642HD (HDMI|Component)-> XBMC BOX with Colossus card (HDMI)-> Samsung TV

My questions are:

3) The HDMI out on the XBMC box is actually a Nvidia GeForce 610 card, which is what I use to stream MKV blu-ray rips from my QNAP NAS to my samsung TV. Would this be adequate?

Thanks in advance.
All I can say
post #548 of 555 Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM

hey riffer,

Just out of curiosity as this is pretty new to me. What do use your setup for if not for recording? Just curious.

How the quality with HD channels?

I don't have an issue using component instead of HDMI.  Do you know if I would be able to do this:

Cisco 4642HD>Component Video Cable>Colossus>HDMI from nvidia 610 card>HDTV? I still want to be able to leverage the nvidia graphics card as my onboard cpu isn't powerful enough to stream my content. I imagine this should work, but just curious.

If you're using component. How do you get the audio to the hauppauge card and then from the PC to the TV?

Also, does the colossus come with a blaster and if not, any recommendation on what to buy? Also, does all the software I need come with the card?

I will surely be posting to document my progress and help other people out. It'll be sweet if it works.

post #549 of 555 Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancharles View Post

New setup

My questions are:

Thanks in advance.

Colossus works with NextPVR. I use it. The only issue I have is Live TV, which doesn't seem to work particularly well with Colossus in the current 3.1.1 release (channel changing is hanging). Scheduled recording works fine. You can use WinTV7, that comes with colossus, for Live TV. WinTV has no built in guide, so they try and link it to the Titan TV service. This sort of works, but I have found NextPVR is more reliable at recording than WinTV. NextPVR is not a commercial product, so it may take a bit of patience to get it setup. I don't use XBMC. NextPVR is sufficient for what I need, which is basically an on screen guide and recording. I don't know about your cable box. I have a Verizon FIOS Motorola box, and it can output component and HDMI simultaneously, so there is no issue. It also has SPDIF audio out, which I use. If you use RCA type audio, colossus will not give you Dolby Digital surround. You need to set your cable box to ALWAYS output HD video. I think most of them have this setting. Colossus and NextPVR (and WinTV7) will have issues if you are switching between HD and SD output. Colossus, in particular, does not do a good job with SD video in my experience.

HDMI is subject to rights management. If you don't want this hassle, you'll need to go with component video out. Depends on what you plan to record.

Colossus comes with a blaster (at least mine did). You don't actually need to buy an additional one. Your computer will need to be fairly close to your cable box.

Can't comment on your 3. because I don't have that box. Sounds as if it should work fine though.
post #550 of 555 Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Although it's a rare event, sometimes my Hauppauge Colossus will tune my cable box to a channel missing the first digit (which luckily in most cases is the same channel in non-HD), for example the box ends up on 64 instead of 664, or 6 instead of 606, etc.

As soon as I bought the Colossus I was recommended to avoid the included IR blaster, is this a common problem with the Colossus' IR blaster?

Is there a fix for it and if not what alternative blaster do you recommend that I can use with WMC and the Colossus card?

Thank you
post #551 of 555 Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Anybody using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5.0 to author Colossus captures to blu-ray discs ?

I have a HD-PVR 1212, but TMPGEnc always wants to reencode 1080i video files I capture with the Hauppauge 1212 because it's not fully blu-ray compliant. I'm hoping that the captures from the Colossus are compliant, and thus wouldn't need to be re-encoded in order to be archived to disc.

Or maybe someone could provide me with a short sample of a 1080i capture so I can test it ?
post #552 of 555 Old 04-23-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds11 View Post

Anybody using TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5.0 to author Colossus captures to blu-ray discs ?

I have a HD-PVR 1212, but TMPGEnc always wants to reencode 1080i video files I capture with the Hauppauge 1212 because it's not fully blu-ray compliant. I'm hoping that the captures from the Colossus are compliant, and thus wouldn't need to be re-encoded in order to be archived to disc.

Or maybe someone could provide me with a short sample of a 1080i capture so I can test it ?

I'm no expert on this, but the Colossus always records to TS files. I don't think that TS files can be burned without some kind of transcoding, or at least being put into a different container.
post #553 of 555 Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although it's a rare event, sometimes my Hauppauge Colossus will tune my cable box to a channel missing the first digit (which luckily in most cases is the same channel in non-HD), for example the box ends up on 64 instead of 664, or 6 instead of 606, etc.

As soon as I bought the Colossus I was recommended to avoid the included IR blaster, is this a common problem with the Colossus' IR blaster?

Is there a fix for it and if not what alternative blaster do you recommend that I can use with WMC and the Colossus card?

Thank you

If your using WMC, you can change change over your network. You'll have to Google for it and Missing Remote is likely the best place to find that information now.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #554 of 555 Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Colossus HDMI/Component

I have a Hauppauge Colossus video capture card installed and working in my computer. I learned a couple of years ago when I installed the Colossus that if I used an HDMI cable to connect to my set top box (it was some sort of Motorola provided by RCN Cable), many channels were blocked by HDCP, but if I used component cables everything was fine. So I used component.

Now I have moved to another city and I have an Xfinity box in my living room connected to my big flatscreen, and I have a secondary, smaller Xfinity box in another room connected to the Colossus. The secondary Xfinity box has component output and it's working fine with my Colossus -- no HDCP problems.

But for a couple of reasons I want to build a second desktop computer using parts I already have -- yes, I have everything I need except a computer case -- to sit in my living room and serve as a multimedia device that can use my flatscreen as a monitor and share captured files via WiFi with my main computer in another room. This would mean, among other things, I would no longer need to pay for a secondary Xfinity box, as I would install the Colossus in the new computer and capture video directly off the main Xfinity box.

But...the main Xfinity box doesn't have component output -- just HDMI. So what to do?

Suppose I tried to use HDMI out of the Xfinity box -- Does anybody know whether I'd experience the same HDCP problems I experienced with the RCN Motorola box? I'll bet I would.

So...

I have seen HDMI to component converter dongles. If I were to purchase one, I wonder whether the component output from it would give me HDCP problems in the Colossus? Or since the signal would be passing through the Colossus's component circuits, would the Colossus just let the signal through as it does now with real Component input?

I need to know the answer before I invest in a new computer case.

Help anybody? Thanks.

Last edited by Billanderson; 06-29-2014 at 08:39 PM.
post #555 of 555 Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked: 0
hello I have a colossus for some time the tiny encoder has diparu archsoft in showbiz despite having reinstller the driver he can not believe it so I just not adjust the bitrate of my caputre
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page