Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #571 of 600 Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
just purchased a Colossus 2. Has anyone ever experienced audio sync issues with their recordings?? Surprised me since I never had an issue with my old external Happauge HD PVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 600 Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am looking to capture a sporting event from off my Chromecast to my HTPC via Colossus. (Watch ESPN app)

Does anyone have their recommendation for the best "HDMI splitter" that will allow the video to pass through to the colossus via the HDMI input.
I am not looking to drop $300 for some HDfury, but I also want to make sure I get the correct device for this.

I see a lot of stuff in the $20-35 range and want to make sure it does what I need it to do.

Thank you for your input
post #573 of 600 Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
just purchased a Colossus 2. Has anyone ever experienced audio sync issues with their recordings?? Surprised me since I never had an issue with my old external Happauge HD PVR.
Nope and I'm using a Dish Joey with HDMI splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I am looking to capture a sporting event from off my Chromecast to my HTPC via Colossus. (Watch ESPN app)

Does anyone have their recommendation for the best "HDMI splitter" that will allow the video to pass through to the colossus via the HDMI input.
I am not looking to drop $300 for some HDfury, but I also want to make sure I get the correct device for this.

I see a lot of stuff in the $20-35 range and want to make sure it does what I need it to do.

Thank you for your input
I have this one
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered...ter+1+out+2+in
and heard that this one should work as well
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-...out+2+in&psc=1
On videohelpDOTcom forum there big posting on this but it now close due to troll you need step is just Google Search for HDCP stripper and read the posting

When installing the HDMI device, do these steps in the following order should help
1: Make sure that the power is off for the splitter.
2: Turn off the power for your input and output devices (in my case the cable box and TVs). You don't have to unplug them - just turn them off.
3: Connect all HDMI cables at both ends.
4: Connect the power cable to the splitter so the spltter powers on.
5: Turn on the power for your input and output devices.
post #574 of 600 Old 11-02-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the info, I had a monoprice unit that kinda crapped out on me; i have a View HD HDMI--> compostite converter that has worked well

I have ordered the unit that you suggested via amazon
post #575 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
How is that Colossus 2 working out? Have you resolved the sync issue?

I don't currently have a capture card/device but am leaning towards the Colossus 2.

Cary
post #576 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

All that the colossus 2 appears to have is 1080P support; or are there other features of this new unit that are upgrades over the original?
post #577 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All that the colossus 2 appears to have is 1080P support; or are there other features of this new unit that are upgrades over the original?
It has an Micphone Input and HDMI Output that also work with other video input as well unlike the frist model which only had HDMI Input and No Output for that
The Colossus 2 is pettey much the same as HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus the lates verison.

Last edited by SHS; 11-03-2015 at 11:42 AM.
post #578 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
It has In Micphone Input and HDMI Output that also work with other video input as well unlike the frist model which only had HDMI Input and No Output for that
The Colossus 2 is pettey much the same as HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus the lates verison.
original colossus also has an HDMI output (pass through)
post #579 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
It has In Micphone Input and HDMI Output that also work with other video input as well unlike the frist model which only had HDMI Input and No Output for that
Sooo...I guess it would be a good choice then? Seems like the HD PVR 2 is ubiquitous here and elsewhere. Unless they broke something, I should be ok with the Colossus 2.

Cary
post #580 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
original colossus also has an HDMI output (pass through)
No it doses't it only had Component Video Output
post #581 of 600 Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

ok, so now we are up to 2 improvements, pretty decent ones too
post #582 of 600 Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just installed my Colossus 2 and made my first recording. It has an obvious picture quality improvement over my HD PVR 1212. I used to have contrast problems with the original HD PVR, but things look very good now.

I like it so far, but having to go through WinTV to make a recording is a bit cumbersome. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it would be a bit less complex to just tell the capture program to record a user select-able amount of time.

My first recording is at maximum resolution (variable rate), which probably is excessive. What setting are people using for this if they're watching mostly fast moving stuff?

Thanks
post #583 of 600 Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My Colossus seems to have bit the dust. I was going to purchase the Colossus 2 but it only has HDMI and that would prevent me from transferring some videos from my DVR. I was able to use component out to my old Colossus. What other choices do I have, if any?
post #584 of 600 Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
My Colossus seems to have bit the dust. I was going to purchase the Colossus 2 but it only has HDMI and that would prevent me from transferring some videos from my DVR. I was able to use component out to my old Colossus. What other choices do I have, if any?
Colossus 2 does have Component IN via adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Colo...dp/B00WMJMDG6/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1350_.jpg
post #585 of 600 Old 11-08-2015, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

post #586 of 600 Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I just purchased the Colossus 2 myself and have been trying to record from my DVR (AT&T STB). It works, but the audio drops out after a while at a random point and never comes back. I'm trying to record AC3 (5.1).

I started with just HDMI and ended up with component+optical and get the same deal (audio drops out).

I dream of the time when "audio out of sync" being my only problem with this

I'll try a different source (Bluray player) and see if the same thing happens.

Anyone else seen this? I'm using Hauppauge Capture (latest) and have all the latest drivers for video and audio. Thanks.

Cary
post #587 of 600 Old 11-13-2015, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I just purchased the Colossus 2 myself and have been trying to record from my DVR (AT&T STB). It works, but the audio drops out after a while at a random point and never comes back. I'm trying to record AC3 (5.1).

I started with just HDMI and ended up with component+optical and get the same deal (audio drops out).

I dream of the time when "audio out of sync" being my only problem with this

I'll try a different source (Bluray player) and see if the same thing happens.

Anyone else seen this? I'm using Hauppauge Capture (latest) and have all the latest drivers for video and audio. Thanks.

Cary
I don't see that problem with AC3 5.1 form my Dish Joey and HDMI
post #588 of 600 Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks SHS.

I was just about to report that I plugged in a DVD player via HDMI and started recording Paddington Bear with 5.1. It had been going for 12 minutes without fail so I was going to share my joy right here.

No sooner than me moving my mouse into the typing area here, it crapped out. I lost video too. I'll restart it, but it doesn't look good.

I ordered a PVR 2 which arrived today so after exhausting this Colossus 2, I'll give the PVR 2 a try. Luckily Amazon has a generous return policy

Cary
post #589 of 600 Old 11-13-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I plugged in the PVR 2, loaded the driver and started running capture. I just completed an entire capture of a DVD without audio or video loss. Not a hitch at all. Whoopie.

It makes me wonder if the Colossus 2 was just a bad unit. I'll never know. I'll send it back and stick with the PVR 2.

Cary
post #590 of 600 Old 11-13-2015, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I plugged in the PVR 2, loaded the driver and started running capture. I just completed an entire capture of a DVD without audio or video loss. Not a hitch at all. Whoopie.

It makes me wonder if the Colossus 2 was just a bad unit. I'll never know. I'll send it back and stick with the PVR 2.

Cary
That a possable Cary
post #591 of 600 Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post
Colossus 2 does have Component IN via adapter.
Thank you for the info. I don't know how I missed it. It appears the component adapter is included.
post #592 of 600 Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
So, in your opinion the PVR 2 is superior to Colossus 2?

Does it transfer the data through your USB fast enough to avoid drop outs and maintain HD quality, even through the component connections?

Donald
post #593 of 600 Old 11-20-2015, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does it transfer the data through your USB fast enough to avoid drop outs and maintain HD quality, even through the component connections?

Donald
It not superior there the very same hardware with one small different
The Colossus 2 is on a USB to PCIe bridge chip from ASMedia
post #594 of 600 Old 11-21-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Donald
I wouldn't say that it's superior necessarily. I've read (and SHS reaffirmed) that the H/W used for capture and encoding is the same between the two. I have no reason to think otherwise. My Colossus 2 didn't work worth a flip though; lock-ups and audio dropouts. I suspect it was a bad unit (I have sent it back).

I'm sticking with the PVR2 because it's portable. I went with the Colossus 2 originally for the reasons you mention; I was concerned about pumping video through a USB2.0 connection. My concern was unfounded. The video and audio that the Capture program displays looks good and it's smooth.

I thought about it a bit more from a bandwidth perspective. Back of the napkin stuff, but, the highest bandwith video that the Hauppauge will compress is 1920x1080@30p. That's 1920x1024x24x30 bits/second = 1.415Mb/s. I'm assuming that what the Hauppauge actually sends to your computer (the capture app) over USB2.0 is encoded already (H.264). You should get at least a 10:1 compression ratio with H.264. That drops the bandwidth requirement down to 141.5Mb/s needed on USB2.0. Since you should be able to get a good solid 400Mb/s (480Mb/s max) out of USB2.0, 141.5Mb/s is no problem.

If my Colossus 2 would've worked, I would've happily stuck with it and enjoyed the extra bandwidth headroom of x1 PCIe. The PVR2 with USB2.0 works quite fine though and I haven't had any major issues.

Cary

EDIT: I just re-read SHS's post. I didn't catch the meaning the first time but he's saying that the Colossus 2 uses a USB to PCIe bridge. In that case, no matter which device you have, you'll be limited to USB2.0 bandwidth. May as well go with the PVR2 (unless you have a lot of other USB devices sharing bandwidth with the PVR2).

Last edited by jcmccorm; 11-21-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #595 of 600 Old 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it's superior necessarily. I've read (and SHS reaffirmed) that the H/W used for capture and encoding is the same between the two. I have no reason to think otherwise. My Colossus 2 didn't work worth a flip though; lock-ups and audio dropouts. I suspect it was a bad unit (I have sent it back).

I'm sticking with the PVR2 because it's portable. I went with the Colossus 2 originally for the reasons you mention; I was concerned about pumping video through a USB2.0 connection. My concern was unfounded. The video and audio that the Capture program displays looks good and it's smooth.

If my Colossus 2 would've worked, I would've happily stuck with it and enjoyed the extra bandwidth headroom of x1 PCIe. The PVR2 with USB2.0 works quite fine though and I haven't had any major issues.

Cary

EDIT: I just re-read SHS's post. I didn't catch the meaning the first time but he's saying that the Colossus 2 uses a USB to PCIe bridge. In that case, no matter which device you have, you'll be limited to USB2.0 bandwidth. May as well go with the PVR2 (unless you have a lot of other USB devices sharing bandwidth with the PVR2).
I'm not sure but I think that power fluctuations may have damaged my Colossus. I live in Florida and the power seems to bounce around a lot. It worked fine but I didn't get a chance to use it for a couple of months and when I did, it didn't work. I thought that having a box connecting through USB would allow me to detach it when it's not being used and therefore protect it unlike if it were in a slot.

Does that appear to make sense to you?

Donald
post #596 of 600 Old 11-23-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

It makes sense as long as you unplug the wall-wart too when you're not using it. I trust a computer power supply to filter out unwanted surges a whole lot more than I trust a $2 wall-wart.

Cary
post #597 of 600 Old 11-23-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I found the Colossus2 to be a superior form factor to my HD PVR. I got really sick of having an extra wall-wart along with the external HD PVR box hanging off my PC - I have enough junk collecting dust next to my computer. Performance wise they seem really similar - if not exactly the same. YMMV
post #598 of 600 Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It makes sense as long as you unplug the wall-wart too when you're not using it. I trust a computer power supply to filter out unwanted surges a whole lot more than I trust a $2 wall-wart.

Cary
Everything goes through an APC UPS so I don't know what happened. Worked one day and then the software doesn't recognize it. Windows says it's there and working fine but alas I can't get it to capture. I guess it could have just failed and just out of warranty too!

Donald
post #599 of 600 Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it the Colossus that you have or the PVR2? If it's the PVR2, then I've read plenty about the power supply (wall-wart) dying on them and getting unpredictable behavior. Maybe try replacing the power supply.

Cary
post #600 of 600 Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which to choose: Colossus2 or PVR 2

I have had very good luck using the Colossus for several years. It has a H.264 encoder chip so it can capture at a high bit rate without dropping frames or audio. I bought it to replace a BlackMagic capture board that had no encoder and I never could get acceptable results using it. So, no matter what you buy be sure it has an encoder chip or circuit built in. Just my opinion...

I hooked up my rig using an HDMI cable out of the set top box going to a 1x2 powered splitter. One side goes to the TV and the other to my Colossus. I discovered early on that I could only capture 2-channel audio over the HDMI cable. So I plugged in the optional SPDIF optical cable directly from the cable box to the Colossus and immediately stepped up to 6-channel Dolby 5.1. It appears that the PVR 2 does not have a SPDIF input, so that is going to be a problem for me; whether or not I am willing to compromise on the audio quality.

Since I capture mainly music concerts for my own collection the audio is very important to me. In fact, more important than the video. I know that I can capture and playback 1080 video as low as 8Mb/s without any visual degradation. But I always set the Colossus to the max of 20Mb/s in order to get the absolute best quality available. Usually it ends up broadcast at about 12 to 16Mb/s video and 640K audio. Then I encode and compress the video but retain (passthru) the original 6-channel audio. I also dedicate a PC to doing just the capture and nothing else to make sure I get the best copy possible. Works for me. I've done several hundred music videos this way.

Then one day the original cable box died. My vendor provided a newer model that would no longer work with the aforementioned HDMI splitter. When the splitter was active I lost both video and audio on the TV and the Colossus, apparently due to some sort of built-in copy protection circuit. So I switched to the component cable and it worked just fine. I don't see any loss of quality over the HDMI cable. And, of course, the component cable has only 2-channel audio, so again, the SPDIF optical cable provides the higher quality audio which I need to drive my 800w Dolby speaker system during playback. I've got to have the Dolby because I Love Rock & Roll.

The ONLY problem I have ever had with Colossus was tripping over the cable running across the living room. That ripped the Hauppauge stub cable out of the connector on the back of the Colossus card and broke the delicate and unfixable connector. After that the Colossus was limited to HDMI input only, which I couldn't use. So I sold it and bought another for just a small price difference.

I still think the 1080i Colossus is the best capture card available. I don't know about the 1080p Colossus2 but it might be better yet. I am currently building up a new system on a Mini-ITX mobo that has only one slot for a video card. Obviously, I can't use a Colossus so I am taking a good hard look at the PVR 2. But I am still wanting that SPDIF input. I am willing to wait awhile longer for the right product. but I sure do like the Hauppauge way of doing capture devices. I just wish that would refresh the PVR and step up to USB 3.0 and add the SPDIF. Then I would be an immediate buyer. Meanwhile, I keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page