Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 555 Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

There no point in testing Flash Media Live Encoder when it is limited to only AVI or DV base capture card.

So what you are saying it won't work then?

I guess I will have to use the Blackmagic Intensity Pro since it supports directshow and their tech support just confirmed it would work directly with Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder.

I really wanted to support a hauppauge solution though. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 555 Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineChauffer View Post

So what you are saying it won't work then?

I guess I will have to use the Blackmagic Intensity Pro since it supports directshow and their tech support just confirmed it would work directly with Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder.

I really wanted to support a hauppauge solution though. Oh well.

That rigth it will not work just like Microsoft Windows Media Encoder which now know as Expression Encoder 4

All of todays capture support directshow the problem is 95% of the capture apps do not support MPEG2/H.264 Realtime Hardware Encoder they only work with AVI/DV + Software MPEG2/H.264 Encoding so I hope you got really fast system your going to need it.
post #63 of 555 Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:

That rigth it will not work just like Microsoft Windows Media Encoder which now know as Expression Encoder 4

All of todays capture support directshow the problem is 95% of the capture apps do not support MPEG2/H.264 Realtime Hardware Encoder they only work with AVI/DV + Software MPEG2/H.264 Encoding so I hope you got really fast system your going to need it.

I really appreciate your input, and I hope I am not derailing your thread too much. I have a quad core O.C'd to 3.6 and am toying with the idea of getting a six core and O.C.'ing it to 4.0. I just want a card that will show up in FME and cut out using a capture program such as webcammax. I encode H264 in FME with my quad core as it is and it does a good job, but the extra headroom with a six core would prob. be nice and not using the capture program such as webcammax would free up some RAM and CPU cycles as well.

Thanks again for your help.
post #64 of 555 Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Does anyone know if the Colossus suffers from the same lag issue as the HD-PVR 1212? I would think not since the 1212 connects via USB, and the Colossus is PCI Express. I'm hoping there is no lag, so that I could also use it for Xbox.
post #65 of 555 Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazlawlace View Post

Does anyone know if the Colossus suffers from the same lag issue as the HD-PVR 1212? I would think not since the 1212 connects via USB, and the Colossus is PCI Express. I'm hoping there is no lag, so that I could also use it for Xbox.

That not going to happing and you need under stand it has a Hardware Encoder so you will always have lag if your using one monitor to do everthing on one monitor. And lag is not a issue if you using the Colossus or HD-PVR USB Component output to a 2nd TV monitor.
post #66 of 555 Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

That not going to happing and you need under stand it has a Hardware Encoder so you will always have lag if your using one monitor to do everthing on one monitor. And lag is not a issue if you using the Colossus or HD-PVR USB Component output to a 2nd TV monitor.

Thanks for the response. Even though lag can't be eliminated, do you think the amount of lag would be acceptable for gaming? I've used a TV tuner card before, and that seemed to work alright. It's just that with the 1212, there was 3-4 second delay. Right now, I have my PC and Xbox connected to the same TV. I could switch between inputs but I would prefer to have everything on the same screen.

I guess what I'm asking is, when you see the live video on the TV and the same video on your computer, do you notice a significant difference between what you see on each screen?
post #67 of 555 Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. Even though lag can't be eliminated, do you think the amount of lag would be acceptable for gaming? I've used a TV tuner card before, and that seemed to work alright. It's just that with the 1212, there was 3-4 second delay. Right now, I have my PC and Xbox connected to the same TV. I could switch between inputs but I would prefer to have everything on the same screen.

I guess what I'm asking is, when you see the live video on the TV and the same video on your computer, do you notice a significant difference between what you see on each screen?

Yes you see a difference between on each screen that called buffer it take time to encoder the Video 2/5 sec delay from the realtime video
Loop thur you see from realtime video that why the Colossus or HD-PVR USB have pass thur just for Console Box or thoses who need live mode for other things.
The Capture video is alway 2/5 second delay on Colossus or HD-PVR USB that becuases it is encoding aka buffing the video you see unlike some capture card that used RAW mode or AVI mode which is same as Live mode
post #68 of 555 Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Yes you see a difference between on each screen that called buffer it take time to encoder the Video 2/5 sec delay from the realtime video
Loop thur you see from realtime video that why the Colossus or HD-PVR USB have pass thur just for Console Box or thoses who need live mode for other things.
The Capture video is alway 2/5 second delay on Colossus or HD-PVR USB that becuases it is encoding aka buffing the video you see unlike some capture card that used RAW mode or AVI mode which is same as Live mode

OK Thanks. I'll probably just stick with my 1212 then.
post #69 of 555 Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM

New Colossus Windows driver dated 3-15-2011 version 29073.
post #70 of 555 Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM

finally a windows driver!!! anyone with any review on how it may work with a sa4250hd or similar set top box? how channel changing is going... recording..etc.
post #71 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Only I ain't the one to spend money on a Media Center front end when I have two other operating systems here just collecting dust, but I would still go with a W7.

I just hope that HDCP isn't an issue with this card and WMC, HDMI to HDMI into the PC would totally simplify things...

For encrypted HDMI: HD Fury, FRAPS, etc. Unencrypted 1080i HDMI-HDMI works great.
post #72 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 AM

Running XP SP2 for dedicated mediatank. Card and software installed correctly. System worked great for a few hours, then started to bugout. WinTV v7 became nonfunctional after 4 hours and slowly lost various functions: options would not change, program froze many times, etc. The next day Win7 and ArcSoft would not recognize Colossus tuner and nothing worked at all.

More interesting is that the max .ts file size I could capture was 4GB. For example, WinTV "recordings" show that 10hrs has recorded (expected 16+GB .ts filesize), but in reality only about 2.5 hours (4GB) is recorded as a file. This problem occurred from the beginning. The problem repeated 2 more times. The power settings for HDD, hybernation, monitor, etc. are set to "NEVER" shut off.

I reinstalled WinTV v7 and Colusses with drivers from Hauppauge download. Everything working well again, except the 4GB .ts file limit remained. In addition, audio through computer works only in 0x20 H.264 + ACC mode; SD 0x19 and HD 0x19 do not produce audio while watching the computer screen, but DO produce audio on playback from the same PC monitor.

Any ideas on how to remove the 4GB .ts file size limitation? WinTV shows that it is recording, but it isn't! I don't know if it is an OS or Hauppauge problem. I contacted Hauppauge, but no word back yet. I also tried the ArcSoft capture utility to see if the same .ts 4GB filesize limitation is imposed = yes, the exact same thing happened.

Current setup dedicated to using the Colossus in mediatank PC for DirecTV transfer.

All available and pertinent updates and drivers installed for Colossus, WinTV, and hardware.
Win XP SP2
Intel Pent D processor, 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM
ECS 945-P motheroard 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 DDR2 PCI-E VGA/TVO/DIV-I
Audigy Soundblaster Platinum eX
Seagate 300GB SATAII HDD
HR23-700 DirecTV HD DVR.
post #73 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:

...I guess what I'm asking is, when you see the live video on the TV and the same video on your computer, do you notice a significant difference between what you see on each screen?

Like SHS said, use the component cable pass through. PC must be powered.
post #74 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by junzi View Post

Running XP SP2 for dedicated mediatank. Card and software installed correctly. System worked great for a few hours, then started to bugout. WinTV v7 became nonfunctional after 4 hours and slowly lost various functions: options would not change, program froze many times, etc. The next day Win7 and ArcSoft would not recognize Colossus tuner and nothing worked at all.

More interesting is that the max .ts file size I could capture was 4GB. For example, WinTV "recordings" show that 10hrs has recorded (expected 16+GB .ts filesize), but in reality only about 2.5 hours (4GB) is recorded as a file. This problem occurred from the beginning. The problem repeated 2 more times. The power settings for HDD, hybernation, monitor, etc. are set to "NEVER" shut off.

I reinstalled WinTV v7 and Colusses with drivers from Hauppauge download. Everything working well again, except the 4GB .ts file limit remained. In addition, audio through computer works only in 0x20 H.264 + ACC mode; SD 0x19 and HD 0x19 do not produce audio while watching the computer screen, but DO produce audio on playback from the same PC monitor.

Any ideas on how to remove the 4GB .ts file size limitation? WinTV shows that it is recording, but it isn't! I don't know if it is an OS or Hauppauge problem. I contacted Hauppauge, but no word back yet. I also tried the ArcSoft capture utility to see if the same .ts 4GB filesize limitation is imposed = yes, the exact same thing happened.

Current setup dedicated to using the Colossus in mediatank PC for DirecTV transfer.

All available and pertinent updates and drivers installed for Colossus, WinTV, and hardware.
Win XP SP2
Intel Pent D processor, 2.8Ghz, 2GB RAM
ECS 945-P motheroard 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 DDR2 PCI-E VGA/TVO/DIV-I
Audigy Soundblaster Platinum eX
Seagate 300GB SATAII HDD
HR23-700 DirecTV HD DVR.

Sounds like your hard drive is formated as FAT32? 4GB is the file size limit.
post #75 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

I was thinking the same thing to
post #76 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

Holy Toledo! What a rookie mistake! I am FAT32!...a small oversight when ramming this system together to dump my DVR HDD media. Thanks!
post #77 of 555 Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy Toledo! What a rookie mistake! I am FAT32!...a small oversight when ramming this system together to dump my DVR HDD. Thanks!

It happens to the best of us, glad I could help!
post #78 of 555 Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Holy Toledo! What a rookie mistake! I am FAT32!...a small oversight when ramming this system together to dump my DVR HDD media. Thanks!

Don't feel alone. Happens to the best of us!

mobilelawyer
at your service
post #79 of 555 Old 03-21-2011, 10:12 AM

I have a question... I've been poking around the idea of recording from a high def receiver and various other sources (usually online sources). Usually everything goes into my AVR then 1 line direct to my TV. I have 2 HDMI outs on my AVR, I would most likely have the 2nd one go to this card for HDMI in for the HTPC.

My question here is this the right card for what I'm looking for. I originally looking at the AverTV HD DVR because it too is PCI-E. But I see it only records 2 channel audio through HDMI and has some bugs to it.

This card seem appealing and right but i'm unsure if there are other options available. Does it also encode and record streams being viewed on the HTPC in addition to whats being fed to the HDMI in? Or is it strictly ONLY when an input source is fed that it records it.

Realisticly I would like to use it like a VCR when watching some programs. My HTPC is my PVR per-say... however, I don't want to make a bad investment. When i make the plunge on a PS3 for its Blu-ray player... will it allow me to record what I'm watching?
post #80 of 555 Old 03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenis View Post

This card seem appealing and right but i'm unsure if there are other options available. Does it also encode and record streams being viewed on the HTPC in addition to whats being fed to the HDMI in? Or is it strictly ONLY when an input source is fed that it records it.

It's only for input sources.

Quote:

Realisticly I would like to use it like a VCR when watching some programs. My HTPC is my PVR per-say... however, I don't want to make a bad investment. When i make the plunge on a PS3 for its Blu-ray player... will it allow me to record what I'm watching?

No, HDCP would prevent that, and you wouldn't want to anyway, there are much better and faster ways to archive a BD.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #81 of 555 Old 03-21-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

At least it shouldn't suffer the lockups the 1212 was notorious for...

Wow.. You know those were fixed like 2 years ago right? Under warranty as well. After I received my replacement version, I havn't had a problem since. In fact, my HTPC has been up and running for almost a year without a reboot now and it is actively recording my shows.
post #82 of 555 Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

It's only for input sources.

No, HDCP would prevent that, and you wouldn't want to anyway, there are much better and faster ways to archive a BD.

Okay so a embedded program with a BD-Rom would be suitible for rips and then the card would JUST be suitible for all inputs. What about streaming Netflix or other apps within a PS3/360 through the AVR into the card?

I did some poking around to see AverMedia has some new HD cards to offer for capturing.
post #83 of 555 Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:

My question here is this the right card for what I'm looking for. I originally looking at the AverTV HD DVR because it too is PCI-E. But I see it only records 2 channel audio through HDMI and has some bugs to it.

My Colossus is capturing well on 2005 XP SP2 build and D* STB, but be sure to update drivers directly from website--that made a big difference after a rough start. The Arcsoft capture utility works fine with Colossus, but the included Win7 and Arcsoft bundled software have poor TS file editing...use a separate TS/m2TS editor to keep file native and not waste a bunch of time editing/encoding.

Colossus records AC-3 and ACC, 2 or 5.1 for .TS or .2MTS. No AV output, but there is pass through with computer powered on. HDMI HDCP enabled. Read specs on Hauppauge website.
post #84 of 555 Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys. What the main differences between the Colossus and the HD PVR? Which one is better?
post #85 of 555 Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosey View Post

Hey guys. What the main differences between the Colossus and the HD PVR? Which one is better?

The main difference is one is external, the other is internal. The Colossus also has an HDMI output. As soon as I received and tried out my Colossus, I put my HD-PVR on EBay. I am still happy with my decision. I like the stability and think the picture is a bit better.
post #86 of 555 Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

For encrypted HDMI: HD Fury, FRAPS, etc. Unencrypted 1080i HDMI-HDMI works great.

Thanks I checked it out, sounds like a wise investment. I hope I can build my new box soon, cause its either this or a few parts toward a Zacate build. I could just throw this in my current build it works fine though I would love to drop power requirements down to below where this one currently idles.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #87 of 555 Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got my Colossus installed and running. Recorded a movie that was in DD 5.1, but the file shows up as DD 2.0 both in the full file and after trimming the beginning and end with VideoRedo. This happened because I started recording a bit before the actual movie started, therefore before the audio switched to 5.1. This is the same problem most of us had with the the HD-PVR for a while, until a new driver fixed the problem.

I'm downloading the newer Colossus driver from Hauppauge, but the release notes don't mention anything about this problem. Any suggestions?
post #88 of 555 Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM

anyone with any reviews on the new wmc driver?
post #89 of 555 Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
SHS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villian512 View Post

anyone with any reviews on the new wmc driver?

It not a driver it a plugin just the one found with USB model how ever it not ready as far I know of.
post #90 of 555 Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM

ohh i see. so does the colossus have the ability to play tv under the live tv environment in 7mc? i seem to be misinformed.... i have been under the impression that the colossus, once the plug in for 7mc is released, you will just use it as a regular tuner card through wmc. is that off? obviously the blaster would be hooked up to set top box from cable company.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page