MPEG2 decoder for x64 WMC Live-TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, There are some good threads detailing how to change the default Microsoft mpeg-2 decoder for DVD, Recorded and Live TV playback in WMC. I've tried for some considerable time to spot the difference between:
Avivo
Cyberlink PDVD
DScaler
and the MS default,

Of course, I could see NO difference---because I was changing the 32bit decoders. If you're running Media Centre in Windows 7 x64, it uses only 64bit decoders for Live TV etc.

(Incidentally, this only dawned on me after using the Directshow Fillter Graph Spy in Graphstudio x64)

Is my assumption correct?...that WMC Live TV can only use 64bit decoders on an x64 OS?
and if so, are there any other than the default msmpeg2vdec that can be used to improve the PQ? - especially deinterlacing on highly-compressed PAL sources, like UK Freeview.

Suggestions please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
WMC in x64 is a 64-bit applications. You will want to use a hardware deinterlacer. Then Microsoft DTV-DVD Video decoder is the only choice.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was hoping to be able to make some painless CLSID registry tweaks, but installing WMC x64 now seems like a poor decision. I now need to decide which is worse - the pain of a full reinstall to 32bit flavour; or stay as-is and suffer not being able to use anything other than MS DTV_DVD Video. Even after calibrating the screen properly for bt.601 YCbCr video levels, the viewing experience is awful.

It's frustrating to not be able to improve the SD (576i) live TV quality because identical material (.wtv or .dvr-ms Recorded TV) is much better played back in MPC. Before testing in another player I thought that the ATI HD5450 wasn't man enough, but clearly it is.

Has anyone made worthwhile improvements to their set-up when using the default Microsoft DTV-DVD Video decoder? Perhaps by tweaking the CCC denoise or edge-enhancement settings?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

You can also use ffdshow Video Decoder x64 with NV12 output. All post-processing tasks by GPU are applied to video streams in this format. (Only decoding is done by ffdshow/CPU.)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again renethx. I have been down the ffdshow x64 route already, but can't get it to work without breaking Live TV.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, that's normal. For Live TV in WMC, you are almost forced to use Microsoft's own MPEG-2/MPEG-4 AVC decoder.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I'm searching for an answer on. Has Cyberlink released an x64 codec that can be used with live tv in media center yet?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My experience with 3rd party codec is that there is almost always something that does not work right. Mostly skip forward/backward. Has it been fixed?
post #9 of 9 Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlikegaza View Post

I realize this is an old thread, but it's exactly what I'm searching for an answer on. Has Cyberlink released an x64 codec that can be used with live tv in media center yet?

No. PowerDVD and TMT (from which people borrow decoders) are 32-bit applications.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page