vga->component converter @ 480i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2002, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wanted some verification to see if a vga->component converter would work with my matrox card. i read that "you cannot pass a progressive dvd signal (480p) through a vga->component converter to an analog dislplay (480i)"

why wouldnt you be able to use a key digital or audio authority converter to display 480i from a vga connection? the signal would pass through component jacks that are on my analog tv, it just wouldnt display 480p, right? i was planning to hook up my htpc first to an analog toshiba set with component inputs, then a mits55859. can anyone verify or shine some light on this...? thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

bump
im sure someone has used one of these
http://www.digitalconnection.com/HomeTheater/9a60.htm
has anyone tested whenther it will work in 480i? if not, what can i use instead? thanx
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 12:34 PM

I'm not an expert on this, but I think the point of your quoted text is that the AA transcoder does not convert 480p to 480i. There's twice as much information on a 480p signal. You must determine if your set can handle 480p input. Most sets don't. I'm not sure if there's any relation between accepting 480p input and having a component video connection, so I don't know how to determine what your set can do, other than read the manual. Good luck.

-- FISH
post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 05:18 PM

I posted about this not too long ago - only one person said they had tried and it didn't seem to work for them.

old thread

I thought it would work myself, but I didn't want to buy a transcoder without knowing. If anyone else has experience w/ this (or are willing to test! :) ) it'd be much appreciated.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

ddarken, really appreciate the link. right now i have my g400 (dualhead)hooked through svideo to my tv, and i really wanted better quality. i was hoping that a transcoder would allow my analog set to display 480i properly, but i guess it not happening. someone posted this link today
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...45063,00.html?
which is basically like an AA transcoder. im gonna give rca a call just to see if it will do 480i, though i doubt it will, its basically a unit to adapt a dtc100 to component video.
so for those of us using an analog tv even with component jacks, is there any way to adapt vga to component properly?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 06:07 PM

I'm using an ancient canopus 128v tnt card. The svideo isn't too bad, but like you, I'm hoping for better. If I find out this works some way, I'm gonna get a radeon too :).

Here's hoping for us analog'ers.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

It would seem that if you can configure you video card to put out 480i, then the transcoder could probably convert it to component 480i. I don't know, I've never tried. All they do is convert from VGA to component, they don't do anything to change the scan frequency.

I use a RCA transcoder, but have my computer set for 540p. So I get 540p component for my pj (Sony W400Q).

Neil
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2002, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

well i was told by someone on another forum that the radeon 7200 has the ability to output interlaced and progressive. i dont know how valid this is, but if thats the case, maybe the transcoder would passthrough 480i as well, and id be set. can anyone else verify?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-08-2002, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

bump :)
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2002, 10:05 AM

I have had some experience with 'low' frequency interlaced output on the 8500. I guess it's possible that other newish ATi cards may have similar capabilities.

Put the following string into 'search this forum'...

Radeon 8500 direct VGA to RGB SCART success

it may be relevant.

James
post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2002, 01:14 PM

mind_flux:

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. If you're limited to 480i on your display, there's no reason to use an HTPC to send the signal. It'd be much simpler to get a cheap DVD player and use the output from that.

You may be able to theoretically output 480i using your HTPC, but I don't think you'd like the result. For things like DVD, it would look no better than a stand-alone DVD player. For computer-related things (anything using text, like web browsing), you'll find 480i unreadable. It would be nice to configure an HTPC first using your current display, and then swap it over to your new one, but I don't think it's worth the effort. You won't appreciate any of the HTPC advantages if you're limited to 480i. Why not either upgrade your display earlier, or use a stand-alone DVD player? Am I missing something else?

-- FISH
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page