No Boot with HDMI cable plugged in - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you boot with the HDMI plugged in IF the receiver and or projector are not switched on, then turn on the receiver and projector after booting? Sorry if I missed this... Does this work?

Do you have another AVR to try to see if you get the same thing? That statement in your manual is concerning. It may be meant to apply to DVI only but one can also read it as a more general statement. Can you get clarification from Onkyo? It could be video chipset I guess but it seems to work after you get past a certain point in the boot process so it still sounds like a pretty specific HDMI component handshake incompatibility? When you say many people are having this problem, is there a common MOBO, chipset or AVR or AVR mfr involved. I hadn't seen this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ckensto,

If the reciever is off but HDMI cable still plugged in, it WILL boot up. That is the work around I have been using, start\
eboot on the computer, quickly turn off the receiver, wait a minute then turn on the receiver.

Unfortunetly I do not have another receiver with HDMI to test with.

HDMI handshake lead me to the HDMI Dective Plus, when I called them they said yes this specific issue is fixed with the device, but after 4 hours with tech support now they have given up and said they can't help me.

From google'ng HDMI boot up issues or won't boot, there are numerous posts, most of them I have been through, but I am not seeing any common hardware.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 PM

I pretty much leave my HTPC on or sleeping. Even 35 seconds is too long for me to boot into live TV and my rig doesn't use much power. But you shouldn't have to do that.
post #34 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mine will stay on most of the time too, this is my second HTPC, the main one is in the living room, this one is in the home theater room. After everything is setup it won't be that big of an issue, it's just really annoying
post #35 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Yep it would conflict with my OCD tendencies too, particularly in a theater that isn't used every day. I use the Xbox extender in my theater for TV and it works great.
post #36 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I had to move the xbox to the son's room, which was a mistake cuz the wife and I already fight over tunners (2 analog, 2 digital) with our shows, now he (only 6 years old) is stealing the tunners to record cartoons...
post #37 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

... with a HDMI cable plugged into my AVR which is connected to my Panasonic AE 3000 projector via HDMI. With the HDMI cable plugged in my computer won't boot (win 7 64 bit) at all (no post).

But if I unplug the HDMI cable and plug in a DVI cable to a spare monitor it boots just fine and there are no issues what so ever.

Have you tried:
HTPC (DVI Port)
Inexpensive DVI-> HDMI Adapter ($3)
HDMI Cable
AVR

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Since it's a projector, having no audio is not a problem. DVI will do 1080p ... no problem.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #38 of 52 Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I had to move the xbox to the son's room, which was a mistake cuz the wife and I already fight over tunners (2 analog, 2 digital) with our shows, now he (only 6 years old) is stealing the tunners to record cartoons...

Let me tell you that the tuner competition won't end when the kids leave the house. We still support my daughters in colleage with a slingbox, slingcatchers and Remote Potato. I've spoiled them with DVR and premium content and they get really POed at me when something doesn't work.... or I'm changing something. Gotta cut em off one day ..... maybe soon.
post #39 of 52 Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tesla1856, I can test that to see if it works, I pretty sure it would.
Ultimate goal is to get it working with HDMI so I can pass Audio as well to get DTS - TrueHD and Master audio. If I use DVI for video I would have to use optical for audio and you can't get those with optical.

ckensto, Now that is funny, I will remember that when they move it that supports stops when you leave the house..... yeah right, who am I kidding...
post #40 of 52 Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tesla1856, I can test that to see if it works, I pretty sure it would.
Ultimate goal is to get it working with HDMI so I can pass Audio as well to get DTS - TrueHD and Master audio. If I use DVI for video I would have to use optical for audio and you can't get those with optical.

Oh, right ... sorry.

From the HTPC to the AVR you DO NEED HD-Audio. It's AVR->Projector where you don't need it.

It's a strange problem. You might have to do a test swap with a different amp or PC just to narrow it down.

My HTPC is connected directly to my Onkyo 607 (via 10 ft. HDMI) and it surely doesn't do this. Have you tried a different HDMI input on the Onkyo?

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #41 of 52 Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

tesla1856,

I did actually try another input on the Onkyo as well, still the same stupid annoying problem... grr...
post #42 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 13
Well, I did a search and found this thread and I am having the EXACT same problem. I am running my HTPC through a Onkyo 809 via HDMI. Then from the receiver to my projector via HDMI. I've also done a lot a research to narrow this down but no solution. Very weird.
post #43 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

HI Azula,

I never did get this to work right. I bought an HDMI Detective but that did not work.
So my work around is to just turn off the receiver when ever I reboot the HTPC.
Typically I will hit start\restart and then turn off the receiver... about a minute later I turn the receiver back on and by that time the HTPC is back to the desktop.
post #44 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo 607 connected via HDMI to a Win7/AMD 5670 here ...

Never had this problem either without the HDMI Detective or with it. HDMI Detective is very cool because now I can RAdmin or UltraVNC into box with the Amp and plasma OFF ... and it still looks like 1920x1080 desktop. It also makes the power-up sequence irrelevant and/or allows it to not matter if anything gets power-cycled while the other parts are still on.

Basic troubleshooting dictates that the first step is to isolate the problem to the amp or PC. The only way I know to do that is with a different amp or HDMI capable PC.

post #45 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

HI Azula,
I never did get this to work right. I bought an HDMI Detective but that did not work.
So my work around is to just turn off the receiver when ever I reboot the HTPC.
Typically I will hit start\restart and then turn off the receiver... about a minute later I turn the receiver back on and by that time the HTPC is back to the desktop.

Thanks epayne,

I will do some troubleshooting as well but nothing extensive. If anything, I will use your workaround and hopefully I won't have to restart too often.
post #46 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tesla,

I went through all the trouble shooting steps like that. I even spent over 2 hours on the phone with HDMI Detective support and they could not figure it out either.
post #47 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

Hi Tesla,
I went through all the trouble shooting steps like that. I even spent over 2 hours on the phone with HDMI Detective support and they could not figure it out either.

Right (and sorry to hear that).

But HDMI Detective only does what it does. If the problem is in the PC or Amp (or even somewhere else) ... it's not going to magically fix it.

post #48 of 52 Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 153
post #49 of 52 Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 14
Although this thread is somewhat old I noticed the op never found a solution as of his last post. I've never used the HDMI Detective nor do I have a step by step solution to his problem but maybe this will help him, or anyone else that runs across this thread.

HDMI Detective calculates the EDID information, then saves the information internally which is why you need to have the device connected at all times. That's great if you have a problem between two hardware components and there is no other way to get them to respond, but unnecessary if the problem is with a computer since Windows obtains EDID information from INF files, which are either included with Windows or supplied by the hardware manufacturer, and stores the data in the Registry. That's why manufacturers create INF files for their devices, so you can get them to work properly with Windows. A couple issues come to mind.

The EDID information being generated by HDMI Detective is either incorrect or insufficient and causing issues with Windows. One problem is the EDID information needs to contain both audio data from the receiver and video data from the display in order to work properly within Windows, yet those components are connected in series.

The EDID information being generated by HDMI Detective is correct but Windows isn't using it for one reason or another. Maybe the data within one of the components is incorrect, or Windows just refuses to let go of the old information and needs to be force fed.

The solution is to have someone construct (or reconstruct) an INF file for Windows which contains the proper audio and video information, then make sure Windows uses it. I had to do this to resolve issues with my Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma TV and Pioneer Elite SC-27 Receiver, via an HDMI cable from my ATI Graphics Card. Despite not being successful with HDMI Detective, I find it hard to believe you can't fix your issue with a proper Windows INF file, in which case you want to remove HDMI Detective from your setup. In case this helps, I found my solution within this forum on the "EDID Override Thread". Good luck and let us know if this works for you.
post #50 of 52 Old 12-29-2013, 08:56 AM

1.       Open Control Panel

2.       Open Display Settings

3.       Open Advanced Settings

4.       Open ATI Catalyst Control Center

5.       Select Basic Easy Set up and click next

6.       Now it should show set up my display configuration, click G0

7.       Now it should show Main Display and Second Display, click on notebook panel for Main and Second click on DTV (HDMI) then click next.

8.       Now the page should show 2 choices, extended desktop or duplicate desktop. Click Duplicate desktop and then next.

9.       The next page may show options to change the display Resolution, ie  1366 by 768 Pixels, set to your preference and exit or finish the setup.

post #51 of 52 Old 01-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Hi.

I've also had this problem on 3 separate HTPC builds and was able to solve the problem as it related to my setups. First a bit of backstory...

The "problem" as it manifested itself was that any HTPC connected to my Yamaha receiver would not boot once I pressed the power button to turn the computer on. More specifically, the front LED lights would come on indicating power to the machine, but there was never any HD access light activity. I let it set for upwards of 13 hours (forgot that I left it on overnight), and still nothing had happened. I COULD get the machine to boot every time if I completely unplugged the HDMI cable from the video card, and then turned the machine on. Being that the main drive was an SSD, it would boot in roughly 10 seconds and be sitting on the login screen. Once it was up and running, I could plug the HDMI cable back in and the picture would display normally.

My system is an AMD APU setup that I eventually decided to add a dedicated GPU to. The GPU was also an AMD card, 6450 I believe, with onboard HDMI.

How I fixed it...

Generally speaking, I like to see the computer information on the POST rather than see whatever board manufacturer logo they have on there. Therefore, I always go into the bios and disable the "full screen logo display" or whatever similar setting each board has. With 100% success, I can alleviate the above problem by ENABLING the full screen logo display. I'm not sure why this would cause a behavior change, but it did for me and I can duplicate the problem all day long ( just tested it again to make sure I was remembering this correctly). My fix might be related to how my Yamaha receiver expects a signal to initialize and may not work for the Onkyo models previously mentioned.

My setup goes like this: HTPC > Yamaha Receiver > Epson Projector. In between each device in the chain is a single HDMI cable.

This thread is several years old but it took me a very long time of tinkering and testing to come to this conclusion. If it helps someone out, I thought it would be worthwhile to post.

Thanks,
D
post #52 of 52 Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpandkp View Post

How I fixed it...

I can alleviate the above problem by ENABLING the full screen logo display.
This thread is several years old but it took me a very long time of tinkering and testing to come to this conclusion. If it helps someone out, I thought it would be worthwhile to post.

Thanks for posting solution here. I didn't have the problem, but does explain why some people had it and others not.

Also, some motherboards (like my ASRock) display a high-res full-color forest scene during post. Wonder if that helps it be in the proper mode?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page