No Boot with HDMI cable plugged in - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched for this issue and see many people having the same problem but I don't see any resolution.

I have a new HTPC with a i3 540. I am using the onboard iGPU with a HDMI cable plugged into my AVR which is connected to my Panasonic AE 3000 projector via HDMI. With the HDMI cable plugged in my computer won't boot (win 7 64 bit) at all (no post). But if I unplug the HDMI cable and plug in a DVI cable to a spare monitor it boots just fine and there are no issues what so ever.

All other devices and components work just fine (STB, PS3, WD Live Hub, etc). I tried the exact same cables as well and all works fine except for the HTCP iGPU using a HDMI cable.

Again sorry for a repeated question but I just can't find an answer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 AM

dit you check your bios settings
to make sure it isn't set to stop at all errors.
because it could me it does not detect your lcd/avr during the boot and stops booting because of that.
post #3 of 52 Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just out of curiosity how long did you wait? I've got a cable going from hdmi to my projector and dvi to hdmi going to my AV and all I get is a no signal screen until the computer actually gets to windows then it pops on. However if I disconnect dvi to hdmi from the av I see the image right away bios and all. Maybe give it more time to boot to windows?
post #4 of 52 Old 12-23-2010, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,

BIOS is set to not halt on all errors.
I tried without a keyboard and it would boot up fine (with DVI connected to monitor).

I waited a good 5 minutes. With out the cable, the boot up (from SSD) takes about 35 seconds from cold to desktop.

Any other setting I can check. I know I see a ton of post with others having this same issue, but agian I don't see any real fix for it, other than just waiting till the computer boots up before plugging in the HDMI cable. That just wouldn't work for me.

Thanks
post #5 of 52 Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM

I've had similiar issues, and it was that the computer could not detect the AVR/TV and booting haulted. Turning on the TV/projector before booting up would solve the problem, and also turning it on after booting had stopped caused the boot to finish.

My hunch is that this is a Win7 issue with monitor detection. My other hunch is that you may wish to invest in the Geffen HDMI Detective so that your computer always gets a signal regardless of the state of the projector or AVR. I think this is why they developed it.
post #6 of 52 Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdiver85 View Post

I've had similiar issues, and it was that the computer could not detect the AVR/TV and booting haulted. Turning on the TV/projector before booting up would solve the problem, and also turning it on after booting had stopped caused the boot to finish.

My hunch is that this is a Win7 issue with monitor detection. My other hunch is that you may wish to invest in the Geffen HDMI Detective so that your computer always gets a signal regardless of the state of the projector or AVR. I think this is why they developed it.

Thanks, Actually both the AVR and Project are already on..

Everyone else out there with this problem have to buy a device for this to work?
post #7 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Resurrecting this thread.

I tried the HDMI Detective Plus and still no luck.

The first unit I received just didn't work (only was able to program it once, then it never allowed me to program again), and after an hour with tech support they told me to return it and get a new. Returned defective unit and got a new one, now after 3 hours with tech support I am still having the same issue. With the HDMI cable plugged into the computer and my Onkyo TX-SR706 the computer will not boot.

The only thing that did help a little with the HDMI detective is when you flip the fourth dip switch (hdcp) it would allow me to at least see the post and bios splash screen and starting Windows. After the Windows starting splash screen the display would kick off (right around the time the normal screen resolution would change). I can hear audio but I will not get video at all.

Tech support from Gefen (HDMI Detective Plus) now feels like I don't need the unit at all or at least it won't solve all my problems.

If I reboot the computer and then quickly turn off the receiver, wait for the computer to boot up, then turn on the receiver it works just fine (same thing when I just unplug the HDMI cable from the HTPC during boot up).

I can hook the HTPC up to a standard LCD screen via HDMI and it boots just fine, no issues.

Once the computer is booted up and I connect the HDMI cable i have NO OTHER ISSUES, I can switch my AVR off and on and the projector off and on and I still have display. I can even switch between inputs (PS3, DTV, Xbox, etc) and switch back and I still have display. I also have no issues with playing any content via media center and get full DTS-HD\\Master audio.

Anyone have any ideas out there to this really ANNOYING problem?

One other thing, when I am booted into Windows and I look at the display settings my receiver actually shows up as the monitor. You actually see "TX-SR706" as the main display (same thing in the sound properties of control panel, TX-SR706 is listed). Is this normal?

Thank you, I appreciate any help you can give.
post #8 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Seeing your AVR listed as the display and sound device is normal. At least that's what I see once I got everything working and bit streaming properly. I imagine you've tried bios and driver updates or roll backs. Of course this sounds like some sort of HDMI negotiation issue somehow but half the issues on this forum are.... Sorry I don't have more...
post #9 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ckensto,

Yup, all drivers and bios are updated to the latest version.
NJDiver85 mentioned the signal issue and to look into the HDMI Detective Plus, unfortunetly it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Gefen Tech support is baffled as to why it is not working.
post #10 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Maybe try enabling multi displays in bios.
post #11 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epayne11 View Post

Hi ckensto,

Yup, all drivers and bios are updated to the latest version.
NJDiver85 mentioned the signal issue and to look into the HDMI Detective Plus, unfortunetly it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Gefen Tech support is baffled as to why it is not working.

Yep I read about the Detective but this hasn't been fool proof either. Still the symptoms and the fact that you can work around it scream HDMI negotiation glitch somewhere. I love a single cable but HDMI HDCP implementation overall sucks and seems unpredictable. I actually had to use a longer cables (same brand and quality) to solve one of my issues. Shorter didn't work..... Also others getting the Geffen have found they could have solved their issues with longer HDMI cables. Some have just gone back to component cables.

Did you try rolling back the Intel display driver driver to an earlier version? Also Nimo's suggestion is interesting.
post #12 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been able to find a specific multi display setting in the BIOS and I don't see it in the
Motherboard manual
post #13 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have about a 6' HDMI cable between the HTPC and receiver. What length did you end up using?

the first setup I did had the original native windows driver which had the issue, I updated the intel drivers in hopes it would fix the issue. I guess I could try to roll it back again, but I would expect it to do the smae thing. I will try though.
post #14 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM

Going from 3-6 ft worked for me but others have had to go to 10 or longer. I had some one hand so I experimented. It was the cable length between HTPC and receiver that made the difference. But YMMV. My symptoms were different. The HTPC booted fine and it was only on live TV with a cable card tuner AND BDs in TMT5. I tried so many other things and settings before this worked and I couldn't believe it but sure enough, going back to shorter didn't work even with a different cable.....

You shouldn't have to do this but: If you have a macro in your remote to turn everything on, could you program the sequence (AVR on/off/on) that works around the issue.

Good luck.
post #15 of 52 Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looking at your manual it looks like by default it's set to PCI try setting it to onboard and see what happens. It's under advanced chipset settings. From your manual:"Primary Graphics Adapter"
This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot
graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI].
post #16 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Nimo,

Thanks for taking the time to look through the bios settings in the manual, I appreciate it.

I do see that setting in the BIOS and have already changed it to Onboard, still no luck.

Since taking the receiver out of the mix (either by disconnecting the HDMI cable or turning off the receiver) seems to not have any issue, I am wondering if it is more of a receiver problem then the computer.

I am able to take the same cable connect it to the computer and connect it to a LCD TV (bypassing the receiver and projector) and it boots up every time just fine, no issues at all.

I am wondering if there might be some setting in the receiver for HDCP, since that has been the only progress so far with the HDMI Detective. Still won't boot all the way up, but with the 4th dip switch activated (HDCP) I can at least now see the bios splash screen and the start of windows splash screen, then the display goes out, but I can hear windows sounds for start up. Without the detective, i know the computer is not booting. I can tell from the NIC lights, keyboard lights and when I press the power to turn it back off... all of these things point to the computer not booting.

I believe the EDID handshake process happens fairly quickly upon boot up, if the computer does boot up and start windows (with the detective in) it should be past all of the handshaking processes, correct?
post #17 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

I didn't see it, but you must have tried another hdmi cable and or input into the AVR? I take it audio is set to not pass to projector.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #18 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

With all you've done already to trouble shoot. It does sound like a receiver issue or weird cable issue. Even though you've used that cable elsewhere without issue, try another one if you can in case there is something weird about it with that receiver, just to be sure. I am not sure how a receiver will prevent an HTPC from rebooting but its likely something in the HDMI handshaking and a compatibility issue and it sounds like once you get past that initial couple seconds the HTPC boots but the AVR still doesn't pass the signal. I dont' know how old your receiver is but my Integra (Onkyo) HDMI was my first issue with the HTPC. It didn't prevent booting, but its HDMI was cludgy and I had to get it fixed. Apparently some resistor in that HDMI board degrades over time with heat (known issue). It wasn't until I had tried a lot of other settings that I realized it was my AVR.
post #19 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

HI ckensto,

I did actually try two different HDMI cables, both work in any other case, just not from HTPC to receiver during bootup.

The reciever is a Onkyo TX-SR706 which isn't really that old. I upgraded it when circuit city had there close out deals. This is the first receiver I bought with HDMI. I have another receiver in my living room, but that only has component, no HDMI.

I posted in the official TX-SR706 thread in hopes someone else had fixed this issue, but no responce yet.

In the Onkyo Receiver Manual one thing that bothers me is a small note on page 34 which reads

"The HDMI video stream is compatible with DVI (Digital Visual Interface), so TVs and displays with a DVI input can
be connected by using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. (Note that DVI connections only carry video, so you'll need
to make a separate connection for audio.) However, reliable operation with such an adapter is not guaranteed. In
addition, video signals from a PC are not supported
"

granted this is talking about HDMI-DVI.
post #20 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Davinleeds,

Correct in audio not passing to the project or, well I should say HDMI is coming from HTPC to AVR AND HDMI to projector. But the audio is coming out of the speakers from the AVR.

I did try multiple cables, but you know what, I don't think I ever tried a different input on my receiver. I do ahve 4 HDMI inputs I have always used input 1. I will give that a try.

Thanks
post #21 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

So you tried a different input in the AVR?

Another option is if you have a dvi to hdmi cable or dvi to hdmi adapter, try that to your AVR.

Another is if you have a vga panel, plug that in with the hdmi plugged into the avr with the avr on. If it boots up, check to see if the correct resolution is being sent out the hdmi. Your MB allows for vga and hdmi or dvi out at the same time.

Lastly, are all components plugged (electrically) from the same outlet? If not, try that. But without overloading that circuit.

post #22 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Probably has been mentioned but did you check to see if there is a firmware update for your AVR?
post #23 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Davinleeds, I have not tried a different input to the receiver yet, always used input 1, I will try that tonight. I will also try the DVI to HDMI cable as well. I wanted to make sure I pass DTS HD\\Master audio which can only be done via HDMI cable. One of the reasons I upgraded my receiver.
I also did try hooking up a computer monitor via VGA and the HDMI cable to the AVR, still doesn't boot. I even tried DVI to a monitor with HDMI to AVR, no luck. When ever the HDMI cable is plugged in, it will not boot no matter what other cable I have plugged in. granted without the HDMI detective I get no post at all, but with it I get post and starting windows splash screen but as soon as the video resolution changes it goes blank.
I do have multiple AC outlooks I can connect to and I have tried just that during the process... in fact without this issue I have had another 3 or 4 devices plugged in without any issues, but I unplugged them all during this, still no luck.

Assassin, I called Onkyo tech support and there is no firmware update for this receiver, the best suggestion they could come up with was to factory reset the receiver. Which after a long time of configuratin the Audysee I prefer not to have to go through that again...
post #24 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can get it with dvi. See bottom of page 48 of your manual. I do it all the time with my i3/530.

You won't get simultaneous output of dvi and hdmi. Your manual states vga/dvi or vga/dhdmi or one or the other.

Another option is if you have a pcie video card. Don't forget to re enable pcie.

Another thread mention turning off the splash screen. I hope you get some feedback from the AVR forum.

post #25 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Davinleeds,

Sorry I'm not sure I understand, what can I get with DVI?
The bottom of page 48 (at least in my manual) shows a section for iPod Photo and R1 dock.
post #26 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your pdf I guess. HD Audio

post #27 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

And you said page 48, or was it a different page?
I only see that iPod Photo's and R1 dock on the bottom of page 48.

For HD Audio, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only way to get DTS True HD or Master Audio was that you must use a HDMI cable. optical cable can't do it.
post #28 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Better is page 8 of your MB pdf. I think your AVR manual speaks of Ipod.

You can choose to use two of the three monitors only. D-Sub, DVI-D and
HDMI monitors cannot be enabled at the same time. Besides, with the DVIto-
HDMI adapter, the DVI-D port can support the same features as HDMI
port.

post #29 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, I have been able to hook up the two monitors at once with a vga monitor via DVI and a LCD TV with HDMI with no issues. But with VGA to a monitor and HDMI to the AVR it won't boot.

Gefen tech support just called and they give up, no clue as to why this is happening. They claim it must be the video chipset, but I have tried this on two other LDC TV's via HDMI and I do NOT have any issues, the only time I have the issue is with HDMI to the AVR.
post #30 of 52 Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well I tried input 2 and that didn't work.
I also tried to roll back the video driver, I didn't have the option to roll it back, but I deleted it, rebooted, plug and play found it with a year old native window driver... rebooted. didn't work. updated the driver rebooted, still didn't work.

Bios is set to onboard for video, other options are pci pci express, but I have vga, dvi and HDMI all onboard. maybe there is an order to boot when onboard is selected.

That being said, two other LCD TV's and they boot just fine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page