What to use as PVR software control for HDHomerun - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-23-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey everyone. I'm in the process of setting up my HTPC from having only 2 tuners to 3 tuners, for recording OTA. Below, I've listed the present config and the planned upgrade config.

Old configuration:
Tuner 1 (primary): MyHD MDP-130
Tuner 2 (secondary): Dvico Fusion Gold 5 USB
Recording app for Tuner 1: MyHD software (rev. 1.66?)
Recording app for Tuner 2: Dvico software (rev 3.8x?)

New configuration:
Tuner 1 (primary): MyHD MDP-130
Tuners 2 & 3: HDHomerun Dual ATSC Tuner
Recording app for Tuner 1: MyHD software (rev. 1.66?)
Recording app for Tuner 2: Either Cliff Watson EPG (CW_EPG) or NextPVR (the successor to GBPVR)

Additional info:
As long as I've been a timeshifter, I've always done manual recording setups (even back in the VCR days, I never used the VCR+ feature that my JVC decks had). Thus, I would like to migrate to the 3 tuner configuration with this type of usage in mind.

I would like whatever PVR software I use with HDHR to not rely on any kind of program guide info, or require connecting to the internet to obtain updated EPG data. I just want to manually schedule all my recordings.

For example, I simply want to tell the HTPC's HDHR PVR app:

"Record Channel_XX, on date_Y, starting at time_Z1, ending at time_Z2, using HDHRTuner_0"

...and (for simultaneous recording with both HDHR tuners)...

Record Channel_YY, on date_Y, starting at time_Z1, ending at time_Z2, using HDHRTuner_1"

This leads me to conclude that NextPVR is the better choice for me. Does anyone here have any experience with HDHR + NextPVR on WinXP to accomplish OTA recordings with manual scheduling? Thanks for reading, and for any feedback

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I run MediaPortal and it does great as a PVR. Many use a bunch of plug-ins to do a whole lot more but I stick with the basics. However, I can't say whether it requires an EPG (from the internet connection) to schedule its recordings or not. As I recall, it fills the guide with "regular programming" 24/7 when it has no data and I can't recall if setting up a manual record is even possible - usually you click on the show you want and it offers recording options, including "every time on this channel" which allows for the broadcaster to alter the timeslot and the PVR follows.

You may be amazed at the simplicity these front-ends have... I don't even know WHEN the shows I watch are aired... I simply go to the RECORDED-TV section and pick! I will say that updating (downloading a small file) daily is ideal (to keep the guide current), you could set it to update weekly, or so to reduce internet traffic... not sure why you'd not want the simplicity offered in today's market other than you don't have a LAN connection at that PC... you could download onto a memory stick and transfer the file if that works better!
post #3 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgrade to Win7 and use WMC.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Windows 7 and 7MC. Easy.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I'm currently using SageTV for HDHR and it works perfect. However, having used the HDHR for about 9 months, I'd have to say that it will likely work perfect with anything!

I had a major pain trying to get HDHR working problem, having signal issues from the antenna, lan bandwith issues and some internal HD pipe width issues, but once I was able to solve those issues which were simple to fix, other than moving the antenna, HDHR is the most stable, easiest to setup and amazing piece of equipment in my PVR setup.

I really love the HDHR and with Sage, it is amazing.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-24-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Another vote for WMC7. Easy to configure with 3 tuners. Guide data update is part of the program.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey all,

Just read all the replies, thanks. W7/7MCE would be nice, but I'm still running very old system hardware... I'm talking SATA150, DDR, and single-core P4 Northwood core processor. That hardware is still quite sufficient for my DVR needs so, for now, I'm sticking with WinXP.

It would seem that no one who has read this thread has ever attempted the HDHR + NextPVR + WinXP combination. I will try it, to see if it works out. Does anyone here want me to report my results, or is it safe to assume that -- based on the replies up to this point -- nobody but me would have the need or the desire for such a configuration?

post #8 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that using this thread as a record of your result would save others the trouble... I am not familiar with the s/w you want to use and apparently the others are all leaning toward Win 7 from a simplicity perspective. You didn't comment about my posing MediaPortal as another WinXP option... your call and let us know your results!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I think that using this thread as a record of your result would save others the trouble... I am not familiar with the s/w you want to use and apparently the others are all leaning toward Win 7 from a simplicity perspective. You didn't comment about my posing MediaPortal as another WinXP option... your call and let us know your results!

I sincerely apologize. I somehow missed the MediaPortal suggestion. If it can do manual scheduling, that would be great... for me at least

post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The HDHomerun does offer some pretty basic PVR software you can download from them for free. It might actually fit your basic needs. Worth a check anyway.

Scott
post #11 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you looked into MythTV? Difficult to configure but works well on older hardware.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Years ago I had the HDHR and SageTV working on an old machine w/ XP. Then I bought a new machine, still with XP, and it didn't work (stutter once the recording size got to be about 90 minutes). So I would say try it.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Years ago I had the HDHR and SageTV working on an old machine w/ XP. Then I bought a new machine, still with XP, and it didn't work (stutter once the recording size got to be about 90 minutes). So I would say try it.

Actually, I kept my PVR system on XP rather than update to Win7. So I'm currently running SageTV with HDHR on XP without any issues on a rather dated pc. The system also has a HD-PVR on it as well as a 1600, so having XP isn't really a negative, nor is the older PC.

HOWEVER, because I do have a rather dated PC and don't to have worry about it at all, I'm using a HD-100 from SageTV as an output device. This really does make it possible to run an older model PC. This is the main reason I'm using Sage, as it allows me to have an awesome output device (The newer HD-300 is even better) and use an old xp device and a recorder.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

This leads me to conclude that NextPVR is the better choice for me. Does anyone here have any experience with HDHR + NextPVR on WinXP to accomplish OTA recordings with manual scheduling? Thanks for reading, and for any feedback

I haven't used it on XP but I'm a huge fan of NextPVR. The HDHR was the first device I ever used with (what was then) GBPVR. Support for it has come a long way. There's also an excellent support community. I've been AWOL from that forum for a few weeks but I'm back there now. (I'm whurlston over there.)
post #15 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sincerely apologize. I somehow missed the MediaPortal suggestion. If it can do manual scheduling, that would be great... for me at least

No worries... I've been using it for years and their latest release is a great server/client product that allows one to install the client on other machines to replicate one another - it's great having one big database, server and recording hub accessible from one or multiple locations!

Since I'd been using it for years I know it works on XP... the thing is it's a free application unlike MCE being embedded in the Win 7 OS.

You keep requiring the ability to manually schedule your programming, why? Why is that required for you when the world has advanced to the point where you literally set-it and forget-it (allowing the TV-guide grabber applications to update in the background).

HERE is my hot tip: If you want a manual application you really should look at WatchHDTV! I totally forgot about it - I'd used it for a year or so back before I found MediaPortal... its scheduler IS TOTALLY MANUAL as you require! It's a simple couple of executables you load and it used the DirectShow filters to do exactly as you want! You'll have to load one copy for each TV Tuner you want to access! How's THAT for totally manual??? Here are their ScreenShots... As I recall I had it running with two tuners... back in 2005-2006. I was even working as a tester/evaluator to help work out the bugs on back-to-back "silent" recordings! It was written by a dude in his spare time back before Vista was released - in fact, he never 'officially' supported Vista but it's a WinXP trooper!

Let ME know how WatchHDTV works out for you!
LL
post #16 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Let ME know how WatchHDTV works out for you!

Thanks a bunch for the tip. Been researching, and found out about a workaround by "Red Prince" that gets WatchHDTV working with HDHomerun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Prince View Post

I have found a solution (or rather produced one) to running WatchHDTV 1.960 with HDHomeRun (HDHR) by SiliconDust. The problem was the their software uses only a single filter, which WatchHDTV expects two filters.

The solution was to produce a second filter, so WatchHDTV is happy. That filter is the Red Prince HDTV Connector, which is in the file rphdtvcn.zip which you can download from rphdtvcn.redprince.net and then open to any directory on your system. Double-click on register.bat to let the system know it is there.

Then, from WatchHDTVInfo select your HDHR where it asks for BDA Tuners, and Red Prince HDTV Connector where it asks for BDA Capture and click on Create tuner.txt. Finish the configuration as usual, and you can watch HDTV from your HDHR.

Now I'm trying to find the "rphdtvcn.zip" file, but the URL that was given above seems to be down. By any chance, do you have that zip file???

Thank you once again for your detailed response. Truly appreciated

post #17 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

The HDHomerun does offer some pretty basic PVR software you can download from them for free. It might actually fit your basic needs. Worth a check anyway.

I checked the Silicon Dust website, but can't seem to find any PVR tools for HDHomerun. If you don't mind, could you provide a link? Thanks!

post #18 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I just googled the rphdtvcn.redprince.net line he posted and got here. There is a single zip file there and I've taken the liberty to attach it below. I had a problem SAVING the file but could OPEN it just fine from the site.

Since I don't own the HDHomeRun I never needed the filter this guy provided although I do recall the issue about needing 1 versus 2 filters...

Let us know about your progress and you never did say WHY you want to avoid EPGs and stick w/manual recording options!

PS I will advise you there were issues with running identical tuner cards in the same PC. Your tuners may 'look' identical (not knowing how they are identified) and you may need to try naming them differently inside WatchHDTV or maybe installing a copy of the filter in each of the folders you create, maybe even renaming the filter so it looks like they are unique (e.g not identical). Not to alarm you... just anticipating an issue.

rphdtvcn.zip 68.5234375k . file
post #19 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just googled the rphdtvcn.redprince.net line he posted and got here. There is a single zip file there and I've taken the liberty to attach it below. I had a problem SAVING the file but could OPEN it just fine from the site.

Since I don't own the HDHomeRun I never needed the filter this guy provided although I do recall the issue about needing 1 versus 2 filters...

Let us know about your progress and you never did say WHY you want to avoid EPGs and stick w/manual recording options!

PS I will advise you there were issues with running identical tuner cards in the same PC. Your tuners may 'look' identical (not knowing how they are identified) and you may need to try naming them differently inside WatchHDTV or maybe installing a copy of the filter in each of the folders you create, maybe even renaming the filter so it looks like they are unique (e.g not identical). Not to alarm you... just anticipating an issue.

Thanks you very much, Andrew.

For anyone following this thread, it looks like the "Red Prince" filter workaround has been proven to work with HDHR + WatchHDTV + WinXP. All the details can be found in this WatchHDTV Forum post started by Red Prince.

As to why manual recording is a must for me, I suppose it's because I... hey wait, I'm asking the questions here!

post #20 of 20 Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I checked the Silicon Dust website, but can't seem to find any PVR tools for HDHomerun. If you don't mind, could you provide a link? Thanks!

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it either. I do remember getting a card in my box that had a download link for some basic PVR software. It's possible they no longer have a license for it. I'd suggest perhaps emailing their support and see if they still have it.

I could also be remembering wrong but I don't think so.

Scott
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page