AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Good evening:

I currently have my DVDs and Blurays ripped to my machine as ISO files. However, I am unhappy with the way PDVD10 in MC doesn't allow you to have them automatically start at the beginning. (If someone has this figured out, let me know.)

Thus, I am thnking about reripping everything as MKVs and letting WMP play them back. I have two questions:

1) I'm assuming if I just install the MKV, that shouldn't screw up PDVD (which I plan on using for rentals still) or the ability of WMP to play my MPEG2 TS recordings.

2) Can WMP w/ the MKV codec decode highdef audio formats? My Denon is the generation before bitstream support so I need DTS-HD decoded and output as LPCM 5.1

Thank you,
Chris

Did you try Media Browser? Should play your ISO's right in WMC, although I think you need to mount them as a drive first (I only do MKV so just going off memory here). No need to rerip to MKV unless you want to.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

Did you try Media Browser? Should play your ISO's right in WMC, although I think you need to mount them as a drive first (I only do MKV so just going off memory here). No need to rerip to MKV unless you want to.

Good morning:

I am actualy using media browser with VCD to mount the ISOs and then they get played back in PDVD. My general problem is PDVD will start any ripped ISO in the middle of the movie essentially so I'm looking at making them MKVs and playing them through WMP so they start at the beginning. I actually don't want any of the menus or anything so this works out OK.

I turned a few DVDs into MKVs and installed the MKV only codec and the files are playing in WMP now. The only question I have is do you lose the chapter markings? I know they were preserved by MakeMKV because handbrake can see them by WMP didn't seem to be using them.

Thanks,
Chris
post #363 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

Please advise what you think of the following:
i3 530 Clarkdale Processor
Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H Mainboard
Nvidia GT430 GPU
2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
Corsair VX450 Power Supply
320GB Western Digital Blue SATA Hard Drive
Cooler Master CM590 Chassis
HP MCE IR Transreceiver with Remote
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

For the time being, I will make use of the Cooler Master chassis and in a couple of weeks, I plan to get a decent HTPC chassis.

All my media is stored on a NAS and the network is gigabit.

Please advice what you think of the above build. Would you change anything in it?

Thank you for looking and sorry for a longish post.

The build looks great. You probably have reservations in using an integrated GPU since you were burned by the AMD build but I can assure you that the i3 iGPU is more than enough.

I would try it out w/o the Nvidia video card. You can always add it later if you aren't impressed with the i3 iGPU (I think you will be impressed though).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #364 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Its the pearl theme.

looks nice! Quick question, you have any audio of the DTS_HD format? Still cant get it play natively in mediabrowser (plays fine via TMT5)

Also is that the coverart plugin providing the bluray image around picture? If so are those mkv files? I couldnt get it to want to show the bluray logo but instead shows just an HD with discs image (i selected the simple SD or HD mode though)

PSN- Velillen
post #365 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

looks nice! Quick question, you have any audio of the DTS_HD format? Still cant get it play natively in mediabrowser (plays fine via TMT5)

Also is that the coverart plugin providing the bluray image around picture? If so are those mkv files? I couldnt get it to want to show the bluray logo but instead shows just an HD with discs image (i selected the simple SD or HD mode though)

I don't have a DTS-HD capable receiver so I haven't tried that out yet.

I donated $10 to mediabrowser through their link and that gives you a code which gives you access to the pearl theme and coverart - which is what I used to make the folders look like bluray boxes.

post #366 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did a quick search. Looks like your answer is in here: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/94097.aspx

post #367 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Has anyone tried to use a Harmony 880 remote to control WMC? If you go to the Harmony website it says it's compatible with WMC. I'd love to be able to continue using my 880 since the whole family is used to it and have the wireless keyboard/mouse only as a backup when I need to do something other than view WMC/Boxee? Thanks!
post #368 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryinnv View Post

Has anyone tried to use a Harmony 880 remote to control WMC? If you go to the Harmony website it says it's compatible with WMC. I'd love to be able to continue using my 880 since the whole family is used to it and have the wireless keyboard/mouse only as a backup when I need to do something other than view WMC/Boxee? Thanks!

Should be no problem at all. You'll need to get any cheap old WMC remote so you get the IR dongle. Then you can either try out any WMC profiles you can download or just learn the codes from the remote to your Harmony. That's what I did with my MX-700, just learned the codes and was done. I only use keyboard (w/ built in trackball) for doing maintenance or if I need to hop to a web site to watch something.

Scott
post #369 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, this is by far my favorite WMC remote: Adesso ARC-1100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823166095

$20 right now at the Egg.

My MX-700 works great with the IR dongle, learned the codes perfectly *AND* it's got a built in "mouse" so you can do more simple stuff with it. I actually keep this remote close by and once in a while use it to move the mouse around and click if I need to.

Scott
post #370 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks, got it. Now I wonder if I can install a 3rd party IR receiver on my HTPC case because I can't recall if my case has a USB connector on the front. I'm assuming with this remote im stuck to IR and can't use Bluetooth or RF?
post #371 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 AM

What CPU fan do you guys recommend for a AM2 chipset? I am using the OEM AMD and it is crazy loud. How about case fans? Thanks!
post #372 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

My Harmony One works perfect with WMC. I bought the cheapest WMC remote that I could find that came with an IR dongle. No problems. I use my iPad as a keyboard when I need one using the mobile mouse app, also works great.
post #373 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Did a quick search. Looks like your answer is in here: http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/94097.aspx

mor ejust helps if you install the intel driver from intel instead of letting windows update do it Got it all fixed now

PSN- Velillen
post #374 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My MX-700 works great with the IR dongle, learned the codes perfectly *AND* it's got a built in "mouse" so you can do more simple stuff with it. I actually keep this remote close by and once in a while use it to move the mouse around and click if I need to.

That's a pretty nice remote. I don't know how I missed that one. I might have to put it on the first page.

post #375 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

This remote looks nearly identical and it's cheaper at Amazon, especially for buyers in CA.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I'm getting one primarily for the IR receiver, to use with my Harmony One.

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #376 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradGinter View Post

Does anybody have any ideas on recording live TV? I have Directv which it seems from what I have read and investigated that I can't record from Directv. I do have an Over-the-air antenna which I could use to record Super Bowls and other sporting events on my HTPC. Does anybody have any suggestions on what type of card to buy or whether you can successfully record HD from Directv?

Current (as of right now!) there is only the external HD-PVR that will capture the component output from a D*TV box. It does support Windows Media Center (Vista and Windows 7) - http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html

You would have to buy one PVR per D*TV box, so for a true DVR experience you need two receivers and two HD-PVR's, its gets might expensive in a hurry.

Using it under Linux (I would assume MythTV) will knock off $100 (the cost of Windows 7 Home) of the build up and going with AMD hardware will save even more.

The Hauppauge Internal HD-PVR suppose to street for $159 should be out sometime Q1 (anytime between now and Summer).

I'm about to go this route, I'm just not sure if I wanna build a new system or reconfigure it.

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #377 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4real View Post

This remote looks nearly identical and it's cheaper at Amazon, especially for buyers in CA.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I'm getting one primarily for the IR receiver, to use with my Harmony One.

Looks great!

Edit: Added to the first post!

post #378 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, got it. Now I wonder if I can install a 3rd party IR receiver on my HTPC case because I can't recall if my case has a USB connector on the front. I'm assuming with this remote im stuck to IR and can't use Bluetooth or RF?

Shouldn't be an issue since most of the IR receivers that plug into USB actually have a 2-3 foot cable with the IR receiver on one end and the USB plug on the other. Mine is plugged into the back and I have the IR receiver sitting on top of the case.

Scott
post #379 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good morning:

I am actualy using media browser with VCD to mount the ISOs and then they get played back in PDVD. My general problem is PDVD will start any ripped ISO in the middle of the movie essentially so I'm looking at making them MKVs and playing them through WMP so they start at the beginning. I actually don't want any of the menus or anything so this works out OK.

I turned a few DVDs into MKVs and installed the MKV only codec and the files are playing in WMP now. The only question I have is do you lose the chapter markings? I know they were preserved by MakeMKV because handbrake can see them by WMP didn't seem to be using them.

Thanks,
Chris

To answer my own question, WMP doesn't pay attention to chapter marks.

Thanks,
Chris
post #380 of 15967 Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To answer my own question, WMP doesn't pay attention to chapter marks.

Thanks,
Chris

Sorry. Must have missed that question. Yes as far as I know you are correct.

post #381 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM

I ended up going with this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161315

Hope the fan isn't too loud
post #382 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdurrant View Post
I ended up going with this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161315

Hope the fan isn't too loud
Are you wanting to bitstream hd audio? The 4xxx series cards can't do that - only the 5xxx and above can.

post #383 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 AM

damn it.. I fail. Canceling and getting the Radeon HD 5450. I thought the 4xxx would be better given reviews and the fact to core speed is 100mhz faster.
post #384 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
damn it.. I fail. Canceling and getting the Radeon HD 5450. I thought the 4xxx would be better given reviews and the fact to core speed is 100mhz faster.
That's why you should ask us before you buy!

To answer your initial question though bitstreaming is the process where the original audio stream is transmitted digitally in its original format to the AVR for decoding. If you don't have a HD Audio receiver then this may be a moot point. But for the same (actually less) amount of money I would get one that has that capability for the future.

And look at the fanless cards.

This is a pretty good run down of the whole process and available options:
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/b...mats-your-htpc

post #385 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Save the $10 and check this out. Can't beat free.

http://www.simplify-i-t.com/forum/vi...php?f=20&t=107
post #386 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Thanks.. I canceled and got your Sapphire. I was a little spooked at that one though because there are lots of bad reviews because of the x64 drivers.. I will take your word for it though.

This is the receiver I am using:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665364791
post #387 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
XRA

Dangit, wish I would've found this thread before 'donating' to the other guide so I could read it. It looks alot more in-depth, but this one is just fine for me. Oh well.
post #388 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRA View Post

Dangit, wish I would've found this thread before 'donating' to the other guide so I could read it. It looks alot more in-depth, but this one is just fine for me. Oh well.

The other thread might have all the info neatly organized and listed but all that same info is this thread too. Gotta give a lot of credit to Assassin and all the good work he's been doing.
post #389 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just an FYI there isn't any 4xxx that would be better then a 5xxx series card outside of higher end 4xxx's for gaming would be probably be better then lower end 5xxx.

Speed matters not, it's the chip architecture. For example my wife's 7 year old PC has a P4-3.0 ghz. It's certainly not faster then a current i3 at say only 2 ghz.

Scott
post #390 of 15967 Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trginter View Post

The other thread might have all the info neatly organized and listed but all that same info is this thread too. Gotta give a lot of credit to Assassin and all the good work he's been doing.

Thanks! I may work on re-formatting some things since this thread has become so popular. We are at 20,000 views already!

Also, I am gearing this toward trying to explain everything as simply as possible.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page