Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryinnv View Post

Other than the left and right upper notches how do you tell if it's completely seated? There is a slight degree of movement even when the CPU is in the notches, very slight though perhaps less than 1mm.

This must be specific to the Gigabyte, I didn't have to apply as much pressure on an Asus/i7. Here's a video from Youtube where the person specfically mentions the increased pressure required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j9SVqvqJYQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Other than the left and right upper notches how do you tell if it's completely seated? There is a slight degree of movement even when the CPU is in the notches, very slight though perhaps less than 1mm.

Sounds to me like its seated. It should sort of "plop" in.

There is a little bit of force involved to engage the lever. That's what keeps it in place.
post #543 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM

I have a SilverStone GD05 case with 3 chassis fans and my motherboard only has one connection. What's the best way to get around this? Y connectors?
post #544 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have a SilverStone GD05 case with 3 chassis fans and my motherboard only has one connection. What's the best way to get around this? Y connectors?

Connect them to the psu. Sometimes you have to piggy back them.
post #545 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Connect them to the psu. Sometimes you have to piggy back them.

Ok perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see any where to connect the fans on the PSU (Corsair VX550). For one, both the fans & all PSU connections are female.

EDIT...

Just heard back from Silverstone and apparently the case should've come with a 3 to 1 power connector for the fans, which I did not receive. Time to drive to Frys
post #546 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrR0boto View Post

I would look at converters to change from VGA or HDMI to composite. That way, you don't limit yourself to a certain motherboard or video card.

If your video card supports composite through your VGA, this will work for a couple bucks. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Otherwise, this may work for about $20 http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks, I was aware of those options. I am just thinking if the recommended system boards/cpu are overkilll for my needs.
I have WD Live with custom firmware WDLXTV, but I it cant do netflix and other online content. Hence the need for HTPC but without HDMI and bells and whistle.
post #547 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see any where to connect the fans on the PSU (Corsair VX550). For one, both the fans & all PSU connections are female.

One of the case fans should be able to connect to the PSU and then should have an "open" end where it can connect into the other case fan.

So in effect you would have 1 PSU connector powering 2 case fans in piggyback fashion.
post #548 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

EDIT...

Just heard back from Silverstone and apparently the case should've come with a 3 to 1 power connector for the fans, which I did not receive. Time to drive to Frys

And there it is!
post #549 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndang View Post

Hence the need for HTPC but without HDMI and bells and whistle.

I hardly think HDMI is "bells and whistles".

Composite is 80s technology. Sorry, but it just is.

HDMI is standard now.
post #550 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 PM

so i finally got everything setup. Thanks to assassin for you help. no doubt I would have never done this without your help. I noticed on my 51" tv that there is a 1/2 inch black bar on the top of the screen and on the sides there is a 1/4 inch bar. not the end of the world but is there anyway to fix this. I have the resolution maxed out in the settings.
post #551 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopgaard View Post

so i finally got everything setup. Thanks to assassin for you help. no doubt I would have never done this without your help. I noticed on my 51" tv that there is a 1/2 inch black bar on the top of the screen and on the sides there is a 1/4 inch bar. not the end of the world but is there anyway to fix this. I have the resolution maxed out in the settings.

Of course.

Get out your TVs manual and make sure that you have the HTPC connected to the correct HDMI input. Some TVs reserve a specific HDMI input (i.e. HDMI1) for PC connections.

Then make sure your TV is set to "just scan" or the equivalent to enable 1:1 pixel mapping.

Finally go into the Intel monitor display options and you should see an area for overscan. Adjust this until the black bars are gone.

That's it. That should fix it.

post #552 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Of course.

Get out your TVs manual and make sure that you have the HTPC connected to the correct HDMI input. Some TVs reserve a specific HDMI input (i.e. HDMI1) for PC connections.

Then make sure your TV is set to "just scan" or the equivalent to enable 1:1 pixel mapping.

Finally go into the Intel monitor display options and you should see an area for overscan. Adjust this until the black bars are gone.

That's it. That should fix it.

EDIT PROBLEM SOLVED** Ran Windows update and it included the Intel Monitor section

Just putting my new hardware together and have had a few issues with the build. Any guidance would be appreciated.

HW:
i3 540
GB GA-H55M-USB3
Kingston 64GB SSD
WD EARS 2TB

Pioneer VSX32 AVR
Panny VT25 Plasma

I can't seem to get into the intel graphics control panel. The display properties are showing generic PnP. Is there some extra software or bios tweak required to optimize the onboard GPU or am i missing a step?

Thanks in advance
post #553 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2Port View Post

Just putting my new hardware together and have had a few issues with the build. Any guidance would be appreciated.

HW:
i3 540
GB GA-H55M-USB3
Kingston 64GB SSD
WD EARS 2TB

Pioneer VSX32 AVR
Panny VT25 Plasma

I can't seem to get into the intel graphics control panel. The display properties are showing generic PnP. Is there some extra software or bios tweak required to optimize the onboard GPU or am i missing a step?

Thanks in advance

Did you install everything off the disc that came with your MB?

Otherwise you should be able to right click on the desktop and pull it up that way.

Also make sure your bios is set correctly to use the integrated GPU. Follow the manual.
post #554 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Did you install everything off the disc that came with your MB?

Otherwise you should be able to right click on the desktop and pull it up that way.

Also make sure your bios is set correctly to use the integrated GPU. Follow the manual.

Thx Assassin,

Once I performed the Windows Update it was there in the display properties... think we are good to go!
post #555 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 10:07 PM

I'm connecting my computer to an older 1080i HDTV and I notice that I'm missing quite a bit of the screen beyond the edges of the tv. My tv doesn't let me reduce the vertical or horizontal screen size (that I'm aware of). Any ideas how to fix it?
post #556 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm connecting my computer to an older 1080i HDTV and I notice that I'm missing quite a bit of the screen beyond the edges of the tv. My tv doesn't let me reduce the vertical or horizontal screen size (that I'm aware of). Any ideas how to fix it?

See post 551. Adjust your overscan.
post #557 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

What are you using for graphics? Intel, Nvidia or AMD/ATI?

You want to find scaling / overscan settings in the graphics setting application. If you have Intel, look a few posts above for a screenshot. If you have AMD (Catalyst Control Center), it's a little harder to find.

post #558 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the thread... my old HTPC has turned into my day to day PC so it was time to build a new dedicated machine. I had way too much stuff already laying around that I had bought as I saw deals over the last few months so my parts list was pretty small. (I do PC support for a couple of small companies and always grab things as I see them knowing I'll need them eventually).

Existing stuff I had:
Kingston 128GB SSD ($150)
WD Green 2TB ($69)
Corsair 400W PSU (don't remember)
LG Bluray Burner ($79)
Windows 7 Home Premium (extra license from existing family pack)
Lenovo RF Keyboard ($39)
HDMI cables (assorted lengths from monoprice)
Ceton InfiniTV 4 ($399) (Came a couple of weeks ago, hence the motivation for this build)

Stuff I needed:
Rosewill R101 ($30)
G.Skill Memory 4GB ($43)
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 ($90)
I ummed and ahhed over the processor and finally went with the i5-760 for $204. It was $80 more than the i3 and 12 months from now I'll probably start again so this PC will be reassigned somewhere so the extra cores will come in handy. I'm not sure if it will help with the Ceton recording 4 streams at once, but it wont hurt.

I'll try and remember to take some photos of the build and post them once it's done.
post #559 of 15956 Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM

The more I read this thread the more I want to build a HTPC.

Is it a good idea to have a HTPC/media server (NAS) in one, Or is it better
to have a HTPC and a separate Media server?

I am a bit lost about that and have been reading mixed info on this topic.

The way I see this is if I am going to have the media server ON all the time why not make it a HTPC as well. I've been looking at the unRaid threads also. Would be neat to have the unRaid with HTPC and some of sort of backup for some of my data. Help me out with this!
post #560 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndang View Post

The more I read this thread the more I want to build a HTPC.

Is it a good idea to have a HTPC/media server (NAS) in one, Or is it better
to have a HTPC and a separate Media server?

I am a bit lost about that and have been reading mixed info on this topic.

The way I see this is if I am going to have the media server ON all the time why not make it a HTPC as well. I've been looking at the unRaid threads also. Would be neat to have the unRaid with HTPC and some of sort of backup for some of my data. Help me out with this!

This a completely personal choice, imo.

I don't back anything up and am completely comfortable with that. However there are a lot of people on here who build raid arrays in a separate case/location and run a server.

Alternatively you could buy an external hard drive and back everything up periodically if that is all you want to use the raid for. Although if your collection is over 2TB this isn't really feasible.
post #561 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is a pretty decent deal for anyone wanting a cheap external 2TB drive.

I have no idea what brand of hard drive is inside.

Quote:

Buffalo DriveStation Axis 2TB External Hard Drive $79.999 Free Shipping, Feb. 2 9 AM

Dell Small Business has the Buffalo DriveStation Axis Turbo PC HD-LB2.0TU2 2TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive for a low $79.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: R2RLD7LT?JP22M (Exp 2/6). Tax in Most.

Forgot the link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch
post #562 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome deal and a GREAT SSD today only.

Quote:

TODAY ONLY Corsair Force 60GB Internal Solid State Drive (Sandforce SF-1200 Controller) $94.99AR Free Shipping, Feb. 2 12 PM

Newegg has the Corsair Force CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT 60GB 2.5" Internal SATA MLC Solid State Drive (SSD) for $94.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: CORSAIRSSD (Exp 2/2). Tax in CA, NJ, TN.
Features the Sandforce SF-1200 Controller: 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write and TRIM Support. 4k Random writes: 15,000IOPS (input/ouput operations per second). Please note the new Sandforce SF-1200 controller makes it among the fastest non-enterprise drive SSDs on the market. Some reviews put it on par and perhaps even better than the 2nd Generation Intel X-25M thanks to the improve random write ability. You should see about a 5-10% performance increase over Indilinx based SSDs.

$15 rebate Exp 2/2/11

post #563 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I don't back anything up and am completely comfortable with that.

You mind explaining that more? Like your though process on risk and whatnot..

I have a basic HTPC, and right now I have 2 hard drives in the tower, and then two that I keep outside of the tower that I use for mirroring / backup. It isn't stored off site, but at least it is away from the computer and my delete key.. ha ha
post #564 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruffryder View Post

You mind explaining that more? Like your though process on risk and whatnot..

I have a basic HTPC, and right now I have 2 hard drives in the tower, and then two that I keep outside of the tower that I use for mirroring / backup. It isn't stored off site, but at least it is away from the computer and my delete key.. ha ha

I think its mainly because I have never been burned. There are people that have many hundreds of movies and they spend a considerable amount of time ripping and transcoding their movies to their hard drives.

They also have a considerably higher budget.

I think your setup is great. Just back them up once every few months and leave them disconnected from anything. Unless you have a fire, flood or burglary you should always have a backup. Then again having a separate NAS or RAID setup wouldn't protect you from those things either.
post #565 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for responding..

I should have mentioned that I have 4 hard drives total in my case. 1 for the OS, 1 for My Documents, and 2 for movies. The movies and documents hard drives each have a mirror hd that is used for backing up.

Oh, and the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB is back on sale for 80 bucks at newegg
post #566 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruffryder View Post

Oh, and the Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB is back on sale for 80 bucks at newegg

Here's an interesting deal. This company is basically the same parent company as Newegg.

TWO Samsung F4 Green 2TB Drives for $75 each (you have to buy two to use the $10 off code)

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-...AFC-SlickDeals

Apply coupon code CPTNKLCTR05 for $10 off $100 purchase. Works out to be $150 for 2 drives
post #567 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Just finished by 1st HTPC build (Thanks to Assassin and other contributors for the great thread!) and now all the fun begins getting the software configured and tweaked properly.

One minor hardware glitch I have had is with the nMedia 5000B case and my BD Drive. I have a LG 10X (CH10LS20) that I picked up on sale and the first problem is the screw holes on the optical drive bracket don't line up very well with this drive. The drive 'wants" side-hole mounting but the holes that come close to lining up are on the bottom of the unit. The result is that when the tray "trys" to open it can't seem to line up accurately with the case drive door.

Any tips? I read in an old thread that someone else removed the face plate on the drive tray of their drive....not sure how or if that's possible with the LG but after spending an hour trying to align it I am pretty much done
post #568 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Another vote here for the no backup option. I backup things that can't be replaced (documents, photos and home videos) offsite using Mozy (until their price changes come into effect anyway - looking into alternatives now); MP3s I keep a copy on my WHS and and on one desktop; but movies are just too big/expensive to bother with. It's easier to re-rip them if I lose a drive. I started out duplicating them on the WHS, but it's a losing battle as my collection grows.
post #569 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2Port View Post

Just finished by 1st HTPC build (Thanks to Assassin and other contributors for the great thread!) and now all the fun begins getting the software configured and tweaked properly.

One minor hardware glitch I have had is with the nMedia 5000B case and my BD Drive. I have a LG 10X (CH10LS20) that I picked up on sale and the first problem is the screw holes on the optical drive bracket don't line up very well with this drive. The drive 'wants" side-hole mounting but the holes that come close to lining up are on the bottom of the unit. The result is that when the tray "trys" to open it can't seem to line up accurately with the case drive door.

Any tips? I read in an old thread that someone else removed the face plate on the drive tray of their drive....not sure how or if that's possible with the LG but after spending an hour trying to align it I am pretty much done

You're welcome!

I don't think I can help you there. I know this may should a little ghetto but have you considered velcroing (is that a word?) to the bracket? It might work.
post #570 of 15956 Old 02-02-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:

You're welcome!

I don't think I can help you there. I know this may should a little ghetto but have you considered velcroing (is that a word?) to the bracket? It might work.

LOL. Necessity is the mother of invention and Webster be damned.....I think "velcroing" is the ticket! Will add the word to my dictionary as an "Assassinism".

Off to Home Depot for the velcro...I will report back stat.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page