Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7831 of 15951 Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Assassin,

Great job on the guide I have been looking through it for the past few days and it got me interested in building my own HTPC. I'm still in the planning phases, but had a question about CPU requirements. Not sure if its a good idea but I am thinking of having a virtual lab, something like vmware workstation installed on the htpc. Trying to hit two birds with one stone htpc and private virtual lab.

Would the i3 be enough to run both htpc and vmware virtualization, or do I need something more powerful?

thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 15951 Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1979 View Post

Hi Assassin,

Great job on the guide I have been looking through it for the past few days and it got me interested in building my own HTPC. I'm still in the planning phases, but had a question about CPU requirements. Not sure if its a good idea but I am thinking of having a virtual lab, something like vmware workstation installed on the htpc. Trying to hit two birds with one stone htpc and private virtual lab.

Would the i3 be enough to run both htpc and vmware virtualization, or do I need something more powerful?

thank you,

According to this you should be just fine and then some.
post #7833 of 15951 Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Assassin,

Wonderful guide and the best all in one resource for HTPC info i have seen. I plan to take the plunge and build my first htpc for use on my samsung pn64d8000 plasma.

I mainly want something quiet, full 1080p playback using my BD files and mkv's on my HD. Here is the spec list based on your guide.

1. MB ASRock Z68 PRO3-M
2. Ram Corsair 4GB 1600 Speed Ram
3. cpu i3-2100 or i3-2105??
4. SILVERSTONE Strider Plus 500W Modular
5. Case SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum GD05B
6. Lite-On Bluray/DVD/CD Burner
7. SSD Crucial M4 64GB for (OS)
8. 2X 2TB WD or Samsung green (storage)

Do you think I need a video card for optimal bluray and 3D viewing, and if so what nvidia card would you recommend? Wanted to see if you had anything to suggest or adjust.

Thank you kindly.
post #7834 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravex911 View Post

Assassin,

Wonderful guide and the best all in one resource for HTPC info i have seen. I plan to take the plunge and build my first htpc for use on my samsung pn64d8000 plasma.

I mainly want something quiet, full 1080p playback using my BD files and mkv's on my HD. Here is the spec list based on your guide.

1. MB ASRock Z68 PRO3-M
2. Ram Corsair 4GB 1600 Speed Ram
3. cpu i3-2100 or i3-2105??
4. SILVERSTONE Strider Plus 500W Modular
5. Case SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum GD05B
6. Lite-On Bluray/DVD/CD Burner
7. SSD Crucial M4 64GB for (OS)
8. 2X 2TB WD or Samsung green (storage)

Do you think I need a video card for optimal bluray and 3D viewing, and if so what nvidia card would you recommend? Wanted to see if you had anything to suggest or adjust.

Thank you kindly.

The i3 is 3D capable.

I always recommend to start without a card and see how you like it. Then its very easy to add a card later if it doesn't meet your needs.

I like the NVidia 430 or 440 DDR5 cards. I think they are an excellent bang for the buck. If you want to game then I like the 460 cards.

Make sure you do a bit of research to make sure the cards fit but that case is excellent for fitting longer cards. There is some info on the max length on the Silverstone website.

Your PSU is fine for any of those cards.
post #7835 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Assassin,

Thanks for the info. I will go with the integrated video before buying any additional video card. Is there any advantage with going with the i3-2105 to get the intel HD3000 over the i3-2100? Also, I plan to run PS3 media server on the machine, will the i3 and 4GB ram be sufficent for that as well.

Thanks again for the fast response.
post #7836 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravex911 View Post

Assassin,

Thanks for the info. I will go with the integrated video before buying any additional video card. Is there any advantage with going with the i3-2105 to get the intel HD300 over the i3-2100? Also, I plan to run PS3 media server on the machine. Will the i3 and 4GB ram be sufficent as well.

Thanks again for the fast response.

Depends what you want to do.

If you don't ever plan on any light gaming then there is no difference for general 1080p usage.
post #7837 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM

With help from your guides, I built the HTPC below:

INTEL CORE I3 2100
THERMALTA ELEMENT Q MITX SFF
GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 MINI-ITX
CORSAIR 4GB 2X2 D3 1600
OCZTECH 60GB AGIL 3 SATA3 SSD
SEAGATE 2TB 3.5 INTERNAL SATAII

Everything works well fast, quiet, etc. I have Comcast Digital cable and wanted to use the HTPC instead of the DVR. I ordered an HDHomerun Prime (3 tuner). I went through a few hiccups setting it up (Wish that there was an Assassin Guide for this). But I now have the HTPC and the HDHR Prime connected to my router sending content wirelessly to an XBOX 360 and a D-Link DSM-750. The DSM doesn't handle the DRM channels OK. I get sporadic warnings that I'm not using proper HDCP protocol (Even though I'm connected through HDMI to the HDTV). I will get rid of the DSM soon and move the HTPC near the HDTV so that I won't need an extender there anymore.

I followed the suggestions by a few here to install Win7 via usb, SWEET!

I am not done going through the software setup guides (I don't have much ripped content to catalog), but I will complete the setup soon.

Thanks you all for the knowledge that is provided by this site and the paid guides!! This is the most pleasant, courteous and helpful blog I've ever participated in.
post #7838 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM

For those of you who watch Netflix streaming on your htpc do you just open up a browser and go to their site or is there some external app?

Thanks
post #7839 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Are you using w7mc? There should be a netflix icon under "movies".
post #7840 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears2007 View Post

With help from your guides, I built the HTPC below:

INTEL CORE I3 2100
THERMALTA ELEMENT Q MITX SFF
GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3 MINI-ITX
CORSAIR 4GB 2X2 D3 1600
OCZTECH 60GB AGIL 3 SATA3 SSD
SEAGATE 2TB 3.5 INTERNAL SATAII

Everything works well fast, quiet, etc. I have Comcast Digital cable and wanted to use the HTPC instead of the DVR. I ordered an HDHomerun Prime (3 tuner). I went through a few hiccups setting it up (Wish that there was an Assassin Guide for this). But I now have the HTPC and the HDHR Prime connected to my router sending content wirelessly to an XBOX 360 and a D-Link DSM-750. The DSM doesn't handle the DRM channels OK. I get sporadic warnings that I'm not using proper HDCP protocol (Even though I'm connected through HDMI to the HDTV). I will get rid of the DSM soon and move the HTPC near the HDTV so that I won't need an extender there anymore.

I followed the suggestions by a few here to install Win7 via usb, SWEET!

I am not done going through the software setup guides (I don't have much ripped content to catalog), but I will complete the setup soon.

Thanks you all for the knowledge that is provided by this site and the paid guides!! This is the most pleasant, courteous and helpful blog I've ever participated in.

Thanks for that very nice comment. I can't take all the credit though. The people that participate in this thread and at AVS should feel appreciated as well.
post #7841 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Trying to pull together all my needs, but have one question that I hope is fine in this forum.

With a Ceton InfiniTV, is an Xbox 360 the only way to share a tuner and any shows it records? Could a bare bone/mini computer work? I can get a computer through work better than I could an Xbox. I'd like to at least be able to get Nick Jr. in the kids room from the tuner and ESPN HD and Golf Channel HD in the kitchen, but really would like to be able to watch recordings in the bedroom for shows recorded during the week.
post #7842 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

It depends on your cable service. Any show flagged copy once will ONLY be viewable on the pc that recorded it, or an extender. Some cable co's have not set copy once flags on many channels, so in that case you can watch the shows on a different pc. As far as sharing tuners, you can share a tuner to any pc. But if it records a show with a copy once flag, the show can ONLY be viewed on that pc, or an extender of that pc.

So in your case, you could share a tuner to the kids room, another to the kitchen, and another to the bedroom. Then set your recordings up on the bedroom tuner. This way, regardless of what your cable co does, you can watch your recorded shows in your bedroom. If they are not flagged copy once, you'll also be able to watch those recordings anywhere.
post #7843 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

It depends on your cable service. Any show flagged copy once will ONLY be viewable on the pc that recorded it, or an extender. Some cable co's have not set copy once flags on many channels, so in that case you can watch the shows on a different pc. As far as sharing tuners, you can share a tuner to any pc. But if it records a show with a copy once flag, the show can ONLY be viewed on that pc, or an extender of that pc.

So in your case, you could share a tuner to the kids room, another to the kitchen, and another to the bedroom. Then set your recordings up on the bedroom tuner. This way, regardless of what your cable co does, you can watch your recorded shows in your bedroom. If they are not flagged copy once, you'll also be able to watch those recordings anywhere.

Thanks. So would one of those Foxconn units work or do they not have enough horsepower for HD? I guess if they don't have an OS installed on them, then the cost has gone past an Xbox.

I thought I read a post somewhere that the software for extenders is out there, just not much has been done with it on the opensource. Maybe someone will pick it up, but has to be a reason why Linksys and others got out of the market. I just don't know why Microsoft doesn't build it into Windows. If they can do it with an Xbox, why not a PC.
post #7844 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah it's pretty weak. Sorry I don't know about foxconn.
post #7845 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Just wanted to say thanks, Assassin! I already have a decent beast in my family room (Phenom x4 955 black, 6570 video) running a pair of HDHRs distributing all content, including live TV to 3 clients. Well, one of my older clients finally got to the point where it needed replacing. I already have an AMD fusion e350 based client, and while it handles high def h.264 content from the HD-PVRs, the performance through the WMC menus is horrible. Well, I was gonna bite the bullet and just build another one as they are the cheapest option, until I re-read your post...I never would have considered a SB Pentium solution without your guidance. All I really needed was the mobo, processor and some DDR 3 for the new mobo. The SB 620, with a cheapo Biostar mobo, plus a 2gb stick of DDR3 ran me a total of $135! About the same cost as the e350, and the performance is much better! I would never have gone that direction without this thread. Thanks!

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #7846 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Just wanted to say thanks, Assassin! I already have a decent beast in my family room (Phenom x4 955 black, 6570 video) running a pair of HDHRs distributing all content, including live TV to 3 clients. Well, one of my older clients finally got to the point where it needed replacing. I already have an AMD fusion e350 based client, and while it handles high def h.264 content from the HD-PVRs, the performance through the WMC menus is horrible. Well, I was gonna bite the bullet and just build another one as they are the cheapest option, until I re-read your post...I never would have considered a SB Pentium solution without your guidance. All I really needed was the mobo, processor and some DDR 3 for the new mobo. The SB 620, with a cheapo Biostar mobo, plus a 2gb stick of DDR3 ran me a total of $135! About the same cost as the e350, and the performance is much better! I would never have gone that direction without this thread. Thanks!

Glad I could help. Enjoy the new HTPC!
post #7847 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM

I finished my HTPC installation and I followed assasin's guide for hardware and windows installation in the paid guide, but I messed up setting the bios and accidentally reset the custom configuration, so windows was installed on SSD on IDE mode instead of AHCI. I would like to reinstall windows again to get the best performance out of the disk; it is recommended to do that without it being worn out or lost aligment?

What is the correct procedure to do that? Do I just re-insert the dvd and install a fresh copy of windows and the OS will take care of reformating and align everything in the SDD disk?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
post #7848 of 15951 Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacgaviota View Post

I finished my HTPC installation and I followed assasin's guide for hardware and windows installation in the paid guide, but I messed up setting the bios and accidentally reset the custom configuration, so windows was installed on SSD on IDE mode instead of AHCI. I would like to reinstall windows again to get the best performance out of the disk; it is recommended to do that without it being worn out or lost aligment?

What is the correct procedure to do that? Do I just re-insert the dvd and install a fresh copy of windows and the OS will take care of reformating and align everything in the SDD disk?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reset you bios setting to what you want. Make sure you choose AHCI mode. Insert your Windows disc. Boot from disc. Install Windows over the old installation to the SSD.
post #7849 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Reset you bios setting to what you want. Make sure you choose AHCI mode. Insert your Windows disc. Boot from disc. Install Windows over the old installation to the SSD.

Thanks, Assassin. Just another silly question, to isolate the 2tb HDD as you recommend before installing windows, removing the sata cable from the MOBO to the hard drive is enough or shall I be removed the power sata cable also to avoid any damage to the HDD?
post #7850 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM

What remote is best choice for our days from ebay/amazon? Have 40$.
post #7851 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke142 View Post

What remote is best choice for our days from ebay/amazon? Have 40$.

I like this one:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/p-57y6678-...o|lenovo_oso|1
post #7852 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.fahimi View Post

For those of you who watch Netflix streaming on your htpc do you just open up a browser and go to their site or is there some external app?

Thanks

You can access it from your browser or from directly from WMC.
post #7853 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

There's actually a Microsoft "Fix-It" to solve this issue. You don't need to reinstall.

With the PC still in IDE mode and booted into Windows 7, run this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then reboot, enter the BIOS and change it to AHCI. Save BIOS settings and restart. Windows will load, you'll get a message about a driver being installed (for your SSD) and then told to reboot. Reboot and now you're good to go.

post #7854 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Would I be safe following this guide for a WHS 2011 server? I'm looking at a G620 processor and H67 motherboard? Anything I need to watch out for?
post #7855 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM

I have a question regarding the audio signal output to my receiver.

i32100 z68 based HTPC setup following Assassin's awesome guide
Denon 1803(I think) receiver
HDMI to TV and digital optical to receiver(older receiver w/no HDMI)

I have my receiver set to auto, where if/when I play a bluray from either my bluray drive or my stand alone player, the receiver automatically switches to either DD or DTS.

When I play a ripped MKV bluray, my receiver just stays on 5 channel stereo.
When I ripped the bluray with MakeMKV I only selected the feature and the DTS audio.

Should my receiver automatically switch to DTS like it does when playing an actual disk?
post #7856 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Would there be a noticable difference going with a Nvidia 440 graphics card versus the onboard graphics for the i3-2100? I currently am not watching 3D blu-ray's, but "might" in the future =)

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #7857 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM

There's actually a Microsoft "Fix-It" to solve this issue. You don't need to reinstall.

With the PC still in IDE mode and booted into Windows 7, run this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then reboot, enter the BIOS and change it to AHCI. Save BIOS settings and restart. Windows will load, you'll get a message about a driver being installed (for your SSD) and then told to reboot. Reboot and now you're good to go.
That's a good one!, thanks
post #7858 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacgaviota View Post

That's a good one!

I added it to my FAQ for future reference.

I agree. Great tip.
post #7859 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

Would there be a noticable difference going with a Nvidia 440 graphics card versus the onboard graphics for the i3-2100? I currently am not watching 3D blu-ray's, but "might" in the future =)

Judd

Why would you buy any card now then?

By the time you decide to go 3D there may be cheaper and better cards available.

I would try the i3 for now but not add a card until you need it as you will likely get a better card or the same card for less money if you wait.
post #7860 of 15951 Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdobs View Post

I have a question regarding the audio signal output to my receiver.

i32100 z68 based HTPC setup following Assassin's awesome guide
Denon 1803(I think) receiver
HDMI to TV and digital optical to receiver(older receiver w/no HDMI)

I have my receiver set to auto, where if/when I play a bluray from either my bluray drive or my stand alone player, the receiver automatically switches to either DD or DTS.

When I play a ripped MKV bluray, my receiver just stays on 5 channel stereo.
When I ripped the bluray with MakeMKV I only selected the feature and the DTS audio.

Should my receiver automatically switch to DTS like it does when playing an actual disk?

Depends on the receiver as to whether it will switch or not.

If you are sending your audio files via bitstreaming then the receiver will decode whatever you are sending. You may have to switch it from 5-channel to surround mode.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page