Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I consider myself moderately knowledgeable with all things HTPC. In general I do a lot of computer related work. When I made my first HTPC four years ago I had a good grip on what was needed to get started. I ended up taking a few months getting everything exactly as it should be. Even after asking questions around various forums and looking at free guides.

Fast forward to today where I have recently re-examined the things I want me HTPC to do. I look back and that and decided it just wasn't worth my time to have to research and tinker until I achieve my new goals. That's where Assassin's paid guide comes into play. I was very skeptical handing over my $20, especially knowing that I can get things working. But why waste that time? After my many frustrating attempts to get things working right in the past, Assassin's guide seemed the way to go. And I am very glad I did fork over that $20. For someone like me that has plenty of knowledge on HTPC, I still find it useful.

Another great example of it's usefulness for an experience HTPC goer is when setting up a new HTPC. I often find myself looking through my old bookmarks, finding broken links, older codec packs that no one uses and sometimes just forgetting various steps. Having everything I need to know, well documented and links is fantastic. Even if you are all caught up with your machine and his various mods/tweaks the guide still is useful.

In summary, if you want to get things done quicker and enjoy your HTPC as it was meant to be, then I suggest getting Asassin's paid guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

So I consider myself moderately knowledgeable with all things HTPC. In general I do a lot of computer related work. When I made my first HTPC four years ago I had a good grip on what was needed to get started. I ended up taking a few months getting everything exactly as it should be. Even after asking questions around various forums and looking at free guides.

Fast forward to today where I have recently re-examined the things I want me HTPC to do. I look back and that and decided it just wasn't worth my time to have to research and tinker until I achieve my new goals. That's where Assassin's paid guide comes into play. I was very skeptical handing over my $20, especially knowing that I can get things working. But why waste that time? After my many frustrating attempts to get things working right in the past, Assassin's guide seemed the way to go. And I am very glad I did fork over that $20. For someone like me that has plenty of knowledge on HTPC, I still find it useful.

Another great example of it's usefulness for an experience HTPC goer is when setting up a new HTPC. I often find myself looking through my old bookmarks, finding broken links, older codec packs that no one uses and sometimes just forgetting various steps. Having everything I need to know, well documented and links is fantastic. Even if you are all caught up with your machine and his various mods/tweaks the guide still is useful.

In summary, if you want to get things done quicker and enjoy your HTPC as it was meant to be, then I suggest getting Asassin's paid guide.

Thanks for the very kind words. I really appreciate it.
post #8013 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
i am building a8-3850 htpc. i am wondering can it plays 3d iso and 3d hsbs files.
post #8014 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Assassin,

paid member here. I want to install the new mediacenter master "hydra" and get it looking similar to yours. I read where you said its on your paid guide 2 but I'm having trouble seeing any changes. Which guide inside of paid guide 2 is this on?

Thanks
post #8015 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguica101 View Post

Hi Assassin,

paid member here. I want to install the new mediacenter master "hydra" and get it looking similar to yours. I read where you said its on your paid guide 2 but I'm having trouble seeing any changes. Which guide inside of paid guide 2 is this on?

Thanks

You have a PM.
post #8016 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Could have been a bad batch. That happens too.

So i just got my mobo back from the computer shop to get it checked. apparently the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB is not compatible with ASRock H67M-ITX...

They tried a different RAM and it worked.
post #8017 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside927 View Post

So i just got my mobo back from the computer shop to get it checked. apparently the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB is not compatible with ASRock H67M-ITX...

They tried a different RAM and it worked.

I haven't used the Ripjaws X-series with that particular board. You can see in my build pics that I use the "standard" G.Skill.

That's good to know.

What RAM did you get to get it working?

I will post a incompatibility in the first post of this thread for that particular ram.
post #8018 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Didn't really see what RAM they used. But they were selling it to be a single 2GB stick for 50 bucks.. i was like hell no!

errrr that standard RAM is out of stock.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB is listed as compatible in the ASRock page
post #8019 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipside927 View Post

Didn't really see what RAM they used. But they were selling it to be a single 2GB stick for 50 bucks.. i was like hell no!

errrr that standard RAM is out of stock.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB is listed as compatible in the ASRock page

Did they test the actual RAM that you have? It could be a bad stick or set of RAM.
post #8020 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Did they test the actual RAM that you have? It could be a bad stick or set of RAM.

Yeh they said the RAM was good
post #8021 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Liked: 15
Hi assassin,

silly question here. My build is with i3-2100 using integrated audio but the driver is by RealTek and not Intel right? I am waiting for my parts to come in but I went to the Gigabyte driver site to download all the drivers and I notice that the audio driver is Realtek.

Thanks.
post #8022 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude View Post

Hi assassin,

silly question here. My build is with i3-2100 using integrated audio but the driver is by RealTek and not Intel right? I am waiting for my parts to come in but I went to the Gigabyte driver site to download all the drivers and I notice that the audio driver is Realtek.

Thanks.

You will need the Intel drivers for HDMI audio and video. Some manufacturers include these on their website and some don't. You of course can always download them from Intel's website for the i3 2100.

BTW under "Sound" control panel my Denon is listed as the sound device since its connected via HDMI. Realtek is there too but that's for the SPDIF which I am not using. I have the Denon set as default.
post #8023 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:

You will need the Intel drivers for HDMI audio and video. Some manufacturers include these on their website and some don't. You of course can always download them from Intel's website for the i3 2100.

BTW under "Sound" control panel my Denon is listed as the sound device since its connected via HDMI. Realtek is there too but that's for the SPDIF which I am not using. I have the Denon set as default.

So I shouldn't install the Realtek or it doesn't matter?
post #8024 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So I shouldn't install the Realtek or it doesn't matter?

I installed it. If for some reason it gives you problems then just uninstall it later.
post #8025 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm at the Intel Download Center, and I don't see an option for Audio under Select a product family.
post #8026 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm at the Intel Download Center, and I don't see an option for Audio under Select a product family.

From the HD Video PDF:

Quote:

Contents of the Package:
1. Intel
®
HD Graphics Driver
2. Intel
®
Display Audio Driver
3. Intel
®
Turbo Boost Technology Drive

Download and install Realtek too. I usually install everything from the website and not the disk as it is more up to date on the website.
post #8027 of 15951 Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

From the HD Video PDF:

Download and install Realtek too. I usually install everything from the website and not the disk as it is more up to date on the website.

Thank you.
post #8028 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 AM

I am about to order parts and the 20 dollar instructions to build a HTPC. I am leaning towards purchasing the the Sandy Bridge Pentium G620 for my CPU, and the Gigabyte GAz68ma for my mother board. Looking over the details it states that this mother board does not have a video card included. I wanted to make sure that I do not have to buy a seperate video card for this CPU and Motherboard. Thank you very much for the help.
post #8029 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcoach View Post

I am about to order parts and the 20 dollar instructions to build a HTPC. I am leaning towards purchasing the the Sandy Bridge Pentium G620 for my CPU, and the Gigabyte GAz68ma for my mother board. Looking over the details it states that this mother board does not have a video card included. I wanted to make sure that I do not have to buy a seperate video card for this CPU and Motherboard. Thank you very much for the help.

Its included in the CPU.

From page one of this thread:

Quote:

The Sandy Bridge does it all. This CPU is the "latest and greatest" but is also the most expensive option out of all the builds I have listed. It has plenty of power for all 1080p and 3D movies (it will use less than 10% of it power during playback). Advantages over the Clarkdale is the built-in on-board HD AND 3D integrated graphics (yes you read that right --- you don't need a separate video card to watch either 1080p HD OR 3D --- they are built right in to the cpu and motherboard), slightly increased power, and slightly decreased power consumption. These are phenomenal systems if you need the extra power or want to have the best of the best. There is no need to "upgrade" to an i5 or i7 - this CPU is PLENTY.

post #8030 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM

Thank you. I read that but had a friend who knows much more about computer then I tell me to double check. I will be ordering your instructions soon. Thanks
post #8031 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

You have a PM.

Assasin - I am building mine tomorrow, can you send me the information also?
post #8032 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Hey all, got this all put together and everything is working great so far. Ran into a little snag I thought was odd -- my TV (Hitachi RP CRT) will take the 720P @ 60hz just fine, but will only do 1080i @ 30hz.

That a known issue on the RP CRT's or am I being dumb somehow? Overscan is a little annoying, but Assassin said that's normal in his guide for the older TV's.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triglet View Post

Silverstone GD05B
Antec EA-380D
Asrock Z68 PRO3-M
I3-2100
G.Skill 1600 Ripjaw
Samsung F4
Hauppauge 2250
Lite-On Blu-Ray Burner

Hitachi 51F59A RP CRT

Trig

post #8033 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenielsen View Post

Assasin - I am building mine tomorrow, can you send me the information also?

PM sent.
post #8034 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triglet View Post

Hey all, got this all put together and everything is working great so far. Ran into a little snag I thought was odd -- my TV (Hitachi RP CRT) will take the 720P @ 60hz just fine, but will only do 1080i @ 30hz.

That a known issue on the RP CRT's or am I being dumb somehow? Overscan is a little annoying, but Assassin said that's normal in his guide for the older TV's.

Thanks!

What's your model number? Are you 100% sure it does 1080p?
post #8035 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Many updates coming in my guides tonight (Paid Guides #2 especially with the setup). Links updated as well as always.

I am working on something else due to popular demand too. I hope to get it done tonight.
post #8036 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Alright guys lots of updates.

New guide done located under paid guides #5 tab. Enjoy!
post #8037 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Wow man your still at it. You don't get tired of the same questions everyday.

I'm back for a bit, just ordered cable and an HD homerun prime. Pretty stoked to try out a new toy.

I hope your business is doing well.
post #8038 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM

I just wanted to post a quick thank you to Assassin for his awesome, extremely helpful, made building a kick ass HTPC an easy venture guides.
I started with the idea that I wanted a new computer that would be connected to my new 50" Sammy plasma. We mainly use out computer for internet, pictures, home videos and watching streaming/downloaded shows.
Our only computer is a 4 year old Dell Laptop that was getting slow and full. After searching and shopping I was pretty sure I wanted to by a Dell Zino. I configured what I wanted and saved my cart at Dell....
Then I found this place and saw some of Assassin's posts and stumbled upon this thread, and said to myself that I want to try and build my own computer....how cool would that be! But how?
Well I paid my subscription fee at Assassin's blog and started reading.
I learned about all the needed parts, and what are some of the best for a build like this, and went ahead and purchased.
I sat down with my laptop on Asassin's guides, and all the parts and instructions in front of me, and started putting all the parts together.

I had absolutely no computer experience previous to this build....BIOS...whats that...seriously.

Got everything together and plugged her into my TV and Denon receiver, pushed power and IT WORKED!

Where his guides really come into serious help is the whole configuring you machine once its built.
I would have never been able to have my system as cool and smooth as it is without his guides. All the software and codecs needed for you to be able to play virtually any movie format is great.
I would have never been able to make the interface as cool as the ones you see with the backgrounds and DVD case looking icons.

I am rambling here, but I just want to thank Assassin for all the work he has put into his guides and urge anyone on the fence to go ahead and subscribe to his guides....well worth the $20, at this point I would pay $50 for the depth of knowledge he gives in them. Not to mention he is always updating them so you and always update your system down the road too!

Thanks again!
post #8039 of 15951 Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Forgot to mention...
THANK GOD I DIDNT BUY THAT DELL ZINO!
post #8040 of 15951 Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:

So I ended up getting some crucial RAM and it worked like a charm... sending the ripjaw's back...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media Center Infrared Remote Control Rrc 126 , New Logitech Harmony One Keypad Touch Screen Advanced Universal Remote Control Infrared Display Lcd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page